Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Catsworth posted:

You know, I never thought about it, but I've yet to go through this content as a Republic Character. Are you on a Republic Ship and meet with Satele otherwise?

Nope. Darth Marr is leading this combined faction mission personally so you still turn up and dock with his personal flagship. As for the cross faction members this is pretty much a follow on from yavin so you have members of each side working side by side to mostly show how everyone can work together. They even throw in a line on how most of them are Yavin veterans thus why they are mostly not at each others throats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Best guess? The Dark Council's been undermining Darth Marr for a while and haven't exactly given this mission their support.

That is pretty much the Dark Council's MO. 'Do I give the war effort my full support, or hold back so I can take advantage of the situation later. Hmmm... Opportunistic Bastard it is!'

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah. You get the option of being a bit more defensive to Marr's comment about the Republic, but mainly this is a joint mission and he has respect for you if not all of his allies.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

Dolash posted:

It's kind of neat the way the fleet always shows up in those orderly little lines and formations. Very distinctive...

Makes me think of the Borg, in a good way. It feels very alien, and is definitely giving me an; 'Uh-oh, we're very probably in trouble here.'

I mean, not a huge fan of the fact there seems to be, yet another, even more Super fleet out there that is unrelated to everything else previously established at this point. But I suppose that may be given some satisfactory explanation. That or I'm just over thinking a Star Wars thing. They have GridFleet/Starkiller base in KotFE/Force Awakens because they are the bad guy and we need a thing to blow up!

So we had a time jump since Zoist? Or have these two wacky kids been a thing all along, but no one mentioned it? I take it the attack on Korriban referenced in the game are referring to the events depicted in the trailer?
(Kinda feels like one of those thing you various LP'ers would foreshadow or the like, but this time the contents just so new that you can't and thus.... the story how Biowear presents it. You can't save it this time.)

So, Darth Nox and Mort walk in to the council Chambers and kill a couple of Dark council members. The following week Mario and Jollune walk into the council chambers following an invasion and kill, er, a guy. The day after, Mort re invades Korriban and kills another guy in the council chambers again. Next Tuesday, the Emperors sons invade Korriban and kill a Twiek Sith, who based her image off Vettes post freedom freshers years period. Who I assume was a person from the books or what ever like 'Torch' was during the Shadows of Revan expansion. I'm guessing following Revans trip there in the original game ended with an extinction event, this kind of thing just became known as a weekday?

Catsworth posted:

You know, I never thought about it, but I've yet to go through this content as a Republic Character. Are you on a Republic Ship and meet with Satele otherwise?

At this point, I genuinely feel this wouldn't make sense. It just feels like Sith infighting of the week, that Sith deal with. It actually strikes me as odd that a Jedi in the vanilla game killed this guy first go around. (Or second? I forget exactly what Mort did to his spirit on that Mystics planet. And, I'm not re reading any of that damned planets updates again.)

Quick edit; Oh you do end up on Mars ship regardless? Ha! I guess the republic do barely give a drat then!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Paused posted:

I take it the attack on Korriban referenced in the game are referring to the events depicted in the trailer?

It is, they also attack Tython. It's supposed to be big and shocking but the problem is: the players just did the same thing. Killing a Darth Talon lookalike doesn't make Arcann and Thexan look dangerous, if anything it makes them look weaker than the player characters since we had it tougher.

Paused posted:

Quick edit; Oh you do end up on Mars ship regardless? Ha! I guess the republic do barely give a drat then!

Saresh is bloodthirsty and only cares about defeating the Empire. She would rather see the entire Republic destroyed to chase her revenge.

Edit: The Republic replaced/ousted a weak leader during the [ds/ls] bounty hunter campaign. They then elected Twi'lek Captain Ahab as Space President.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 13, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
The explanation of who these people are and where they came from is described shortly and talk about before who be huge spoilers but I will say that when I went through it I found the idea believable both in where and how it was all set up but I know a large portion of that came from being a huge star wars fan and knowing things about what the developers sometimes barely scratch on. To someone playing this game without said knowledge things came become/sound really confusing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

koolkevz666 posted:

The explanation of who these people are and where they came from is described shortly and talk about before who be huge spoilers but I will say that when I went through it I found the idea believable both in where and how it was all set up but I know a large portion of that came from being a huge star wars fan and knowing things about what the developers sometimes barely scratch on. To someone playing this game without said knowledge things came become/sound really confusing.

I'm a casual Star Wars fan, and I goddamn hate these newcomers. I found it believable that there's an undiscovered empire out here, sure, but I loathe the writing throughout most of this expansion. This part here with Marr is the highlight of the entire expansion in my opinion. KOTFE in general, in my view, comes down to having a lot of interesting ideas (like the Eternal Fleet and the folks we're about to meet) executed terribly.

Bruceski posted:

Yeah. You get the option of being a bit more defensive to Marr's comment about the Republic, but mainly this is a joint mission and he has respect for you if not all of his allies.

It's interesting to do this from the perspective of both a Jedi and a Smuggler/Trooper. You learn that the Jedi know the Emperor is still out there and are firmly supporting this joint mission, but Saresh thinks it's a wild goose chase and hates working with the Empire.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 13, 2016

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Eternal Fleet is nothing new, this is Star Wars and the bad guy has Another Goddamn Superweapon. Only this one is "lots and lots of spaceships".

Paused
Oct 24, 2010

PoptartsNinja posted:

It is, they also attack Tython. It's supposed to be big and shocking but the problem is: the players just did the same thing. Killing a Darth Talon lookalike doesn't make Arcann and Thexan look dangerous, if anything it makes them look weaker than the player characters since we had it tougher.

I had kinda assumed Tython or Corruscant had been hit too, with the whole revealing of the flags to Shitate thing... but yeah no kidding, considering every character invaded both force user homeworlds, regardless of faction. I mean I assume the Jedi warrior may have invaded Dromund Kass or Korriban? And it would mean something?

wiegieman posted:

The Eternal Fleet is nothing new, this is Star Wars and the bad guy has Another Goddamn Superweapon. Only this one is "lots and lots of spaceships".

I guess I'm just a little disappointed that with rise of the Hut Cartel, things had happened. The Empire, whilst once the dominant force, had been severely set back with infighting, now its on the back foot. But as established in the republic side, real world resources are no asset to the emperor, so his threat is still out there despite having the upper hand in the war.

Oh but never mind the emperor has both his magic and tangible assets now too so no nobody accomplished anything, please buy the next chapter where things really get going here have a new level 60 character why didnt we just make kotor3 cos moneyyyyyyyyyyyy!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh no, a 2d plane of spaceships. :geno:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Dolash posted:

It's kind of neat the way the fleet always shows up in those orderly little lines and formations. Very distinctive

Based on this and the fact that you immediately get boarded, let me say PTN's reference to LOGH was directly on-target so far :v:

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yo PN, don't know if I've asked this but you plan to do the whole of KOTFE/KOTET Solo? Or you gonna RP it as other LPers being there doing stuff?

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 13, 2016

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I believe the plan is still for PTN and Mort to take on the main expansion content, with the rest of us on-call as necessary for other stuff. Once we get a little deeper in it'll become clear that these expansions really change up the game's formula.

I've got the next big Trooper update going as soon as I can escape the end-of-term crunch (yes, I know you're on the edge of your seat for vanilla SWTOR content, but I promise just another ~4 updates to go).

Psion posted:

Based on this and the fact that you immediately get boarded, let me say PTN's reference to LOGH was directly on-target so far :v:

Actually taking another look at the fleet just makes me think of Space Invaders - if you came at them from the right angle you'd only have to deal with the leading edge of ships at a time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash posted:

Actually taking another look at the fleet just makes me think of Space Invaders - if you came at them from the right angle you'd only have to deal with the leading edge of ships at a time.

I'm just going to put in a bet now that literally nobody ever does this. In LOGH, you actually can't (everyone: watch LOGH) but in Star Wars, nobody does because it'd ask too many awkward questions.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Space is an ocean. Nobody ever really uses the 3rd dimension.

Except for the yuuzhan vong that one time.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Maneuvering to take that fleet on from a specific direction would likely take too much time. Based on what we've seen from this one example, they scout first to see exactly where they need to arrive, and then show up exactly in that spot. Being able to do this, catching their enemies flatfooted in carefully constructed formations, is a huge advantage. That every side doesn't do it suggests that the Eternal Fleet has hyperdrives that are much, much more precise than anything the rest of the galaxy has.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

Space is an ocean. Nobody ever really uses the 3rd dimension.

Except for the yuuzhan vong that one time.

And Kirk in Wrath of Khan.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Why are Arcturus Mengsk and that Starkiller dweeb from The Force Unleashed leading the Galactic Empire from LOGH

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Psycho Landlord posted:

Why are Arcturus Mengsk and that Starkiller dweeb from The Force Unleashed leading the Galactic Empire from LOGH

gently caress. I knew he reminded me of someone.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Onean posted:

gently caress. I knew he reminded me of someone.

The Illusive Mengsk

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Psion posted:

In LOGH, you actually can't (everyone: watch LOGH)

People talk this up all the time and I couldn't really dig it, even though I wanted to. I'm not really an anime fan to begin with so that's a tough start, but the first episode at least was so dry and decompressed. The 'genius battle strategy' also wasn't all that inspired (Empire outnumbered 2 to 1, but Alliance force is split into thirds so the Empire guy goes on the offensive immediately and beats each force with local advantage - something the Alliance protagonist should've been able to prove to his dour, incompetent superior with basic math.) and since the entire first episode was dedicated to establishing the Imperial protagonist as Space Napoleon that made it fall a little flat. Even the action seemed sterile, huge blocks of static warships sandpapering each other away, apart from when someone's bridge would explode.

For its many faults, I'm a Star Wars fan. Gotta gets me that Space Opera swashbucklin' even if the strategy and war stuff is just a shallow backdrop for melodramatic laser-sword-fights.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Psycho Landlord posted:

I didn't know who Arcturus Mengsk was so I looked it up. Yeah, I'm always going to be seeing that in my head now.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Why is everyone fellating LOGH so much? It's like Gundam but without cool giant robots.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Siegkrow posted:

Why is everyone fellating LOGH so much? It's like Gundam but without cool giant robots.

Most anime is really really bad so people who are fans of the genre will blow the acceptable stuff way out of proportion.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Most anime is really really bad so people who are fans of the genre will blow the acceptable stuff way out of proportion.

Bitch please, 90% EVERYTHING is really really bad. And my complaint about LOGH is mostly about, well, if you are gonna watch anime sci-fi Space opera war drama, why not watch anime sci-fi space opera war drama W/ Giant Freaking Robots?

Siegkrow fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 16, 2016

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Siegkrow posted:

Bitch please, 90% EVERYTHING is really really bad. And my complaint about LOGH is mostly about, well, if you are gonna watch anime sci-fi Space opera war drama, why not watch anime sci-fi space opera war drama W/ Giant Freaking Robots?

Some people get over being 10?
i said in the let's play thread about a star wars video game

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Siegkrow posted:

Why not watch both?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I've been playing the newest expansion piecemeal, one chapter a night or so, depending on how busy I am. I quite like it, I just finished chapter VII...

Not gona spoil but just, Jesus.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
So the Emperor just created space Romans and ran with it? The star forge really was the most mundane poo poo Bioware could pull in a world of space wizards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Crabtree posted:

So the Emperor just created space Romans and ran with it? The star forge really was the most mundane poo poo Bioware could pull in a world of space wizards.

No, the space Romans were already there, the Emperor just possessed their king.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
The Emperor just seems to keep being dumber and dumber the more I hear about him.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Cythereal posted:

No, the space Romans were already there, the Emperor just possessed their king.

Not....quite.

i won't go into it because the LP hasn't gotten there but...no.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 2: Biff the Understudy

We have to hold this ground--they have their job, we have ours.

PTN’s note: This is the first LS/DS choice in KotFE. Unlike vanilla TOR where the LS/DS choices make no sense, in KotFE light-side choices are nearly-always moral decisions that lead to extra fights. The Dark Side choices tend to skip those fights because the Dark Side is the “quick and easy” path.

gently caress you too, buddy.
We’ll cover the exit and make sure no stragglers sneak out past you.

You’ve never seen a man with a lightsaber kill droids.
No?

Regroup at the bridge--we can’t lose control of the ship.
Right away--thank you.

… I’ll be in my trailer. Force Summon Understudy!

PTN’s note: I lost the video for the next few cutscenes. They’re all pretty minor, so I re-filmed them with Not Mortiferous.

Click for Video

What? And just leave you here, in the middle of all of this?
Yes. It is the only way.
I… if you say so. We’ll bring whatever help we can find, just… don’t die out here.

Protagonist, halt!
Wait. You are not--

PTN’s note: Oh, and say ‘hello’ to our first new companion in KotFE! I think you’ve met, but just in case you haven’t it’s motherfucking Darth Marr. Mort and Marr both use Ziost-pattern Lightsabers. We're saber-bros!

Enemy fire has burned through our shields. Assessing hull damage.
And?

Not optimal, my lord.
Take care of it.
Main thrusters are hit. Even if we get the power back online, the situation may not be salvageable.
I did not ask for your assessment. Speak only if you have an update or you will lose your tongue.
Yes, my lord. Utmost apologies.

Repair units, report to the subsidiary reactor!
Fool.

Detecting multiple hostile forces approaching the bridge. Setting up barricades.
Hold your ground. Or die trying.
We will not lose this position. I swear on my life.

Click for Video (Recommended Viewing!)

The hyperdrive has been completely burnt out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

And that's it for KotFE! You can see why Bioware made a big deal about this expansion.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dolash: fair enough about not getting into it; logh is a really, really slow burn. It takes some investment to get into it - and that's a lot of time to keep watching something hoping you start to like it more later. As for melee weapons, boarding capital ships, and swashbuckling, well, those guys got introduced in episode 6 ;)

PoptartsNinja posted:

Knights of the Fallen Empire Update 2: Biff the Understudy

:laugh: nicely done. My favorite character.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wait one ship crashing into another took out 4-5 others just hanging out nearby?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Synthbuttrange posted:

Wait one ship crashing into another took out 4-5 others just hanging out nearby?

That's what happens when you build your fleet hulls out of explodanium.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Synthbuttrange posted:

that ship was Marr's personal warship, refitted with enough Iso-5 to burn planets. I'm amazed it didn't take out more ships.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Ha! That was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Yeah, that was pretty neat. Maybe I'm a sucker for these type of stories/intros but Biowear does seem to do impending inevitable doom, and the end of the status quo quite well from my limited experience. Did have a small feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach knowing our hero wasn't going to win this time, similar to ME2 of course.
I think I can guess how Mort survives based off one of the events in the early game I have been spoilled on, but I hope Marr makes it out ok too, even if it would cheapen that ending scene. Him becoming a companion really made Mort really feel like one of the major figures of the galaxy, rather than just another grunt.

That said, while Mort teaming up with Marr seems really fitting for this scene... one of the Republic characters from these LPs in his place would be hilarious. Dark lord of the Sith following around book worm Jolunne would be fantastic.

• Locked thread