Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
another classic easy fun Rockets win tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Ugly undeserved wins still count

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Is Wiggins Bad?

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Have these been posted? I found the exchange pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/spurs/status/809842386176245760
https://twitter.com/Patty_Mills/status/810204461213904897
https://twitter.com/manuginobili/status/810248048173584384

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

EvanTH posted:

Is Wiggins Bad?

Kinda

Who knew that trading Love away for Wiggins would actually harm the TWolves defense

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

He's still p. young tho.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
hmm he's old enough to drink now and his TS% is down. coincidence? probably :angel:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The last 2 years was nothing but "Cleveland made a mistake trading wiggins for love" until this summer

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

The pistons are 1-4 with Reggie Jackson starting, against not very imposing competition. I apologize for posting this over and over, but Reggie Jackson causes me psychic pain and I wish he would retire

They've been painful to watch since he's been back. I mean, I don't know what they do without him, because he's theoretically a great fit with Drummond, but they've gotta get it together soon otherwise they're looking the lottery in the face again. It's not like the Pistons have a wealth of players, and even their top three are all pretty flawed.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Menstrual Show posted:

They've been painful to watch since he's been back. I mean, I don't know what they do without him, because he's theoretically a great fit with Drummond, but they've gotta get it together soon otherwise they're looking the lottery in the face again. It's not like the Pistons have a wealth of players, and even their top three are all pretty flawed.

Ish Smih developed great chemistry with the starters after the first 10 games, and his pass first style made everyone happy. He was hitting enough bailout midrange jumpers to make defenses honest, too. He also at least give an effort on defense, which made rim protection much easier for Drummond. Bat arms doesn't even give a token effort because he doesn't have his inhaler at the ready.

if I was Van Gundy I'd make Reggie Jackson the sixth man and let he and Tobias Harris lead bench groups, then start Smith/KCP/Morris/Leueur/Drummond. That group was killing it on offense and defense. It's amazing how much better guys play when they know the pg will get them the ball in the right place at the right time, rather than after pounding it uselessly and flailing around for a low percentage layup.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 18, 2016

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Lol remember last time Reggie was a 6th man

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Lol remember last time Reggie was a 6th man
You know how a virus will coat an infected cells with the proteins that say, I'm a healthy cell, part of the body, everything's normal, antigens can ignore me. That's Reggie. and then that cell explodes and you've got spinal meningitis of the bball team

I want to make a very unflattering comp, Reggie Jackson is like the Ricky Davis of the modern NBA, only his problem isn't being a goof off, it's caring too much and not trusting his teammates, and also having the nerd's affliction, asthma

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 18, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I don't think Wiggins is bad but I think he's playing out of position. He seems to play best when he's a 2.

The problem there is that Zach is also a 2.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wiggins is clearly a 2, Wolves clearly need a 3, clearly a Rubio for Gay trade needs to happen

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

IcePhoenix posted:

I don't think Wiggins is bad but I think he's playing out of position. He seems to play best when he's a 2.

I think we know the solution to that problem, one solution created by the late Sam Mitchell :twisted:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

WhyteRyce posted:

Wiggins is clearly a 2, Wolves clearly need a 3, clearly a Rubio for Gay trade needs to happen

The Ricky and Boogie Show.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ricky throws up a no look lob, Cousins gets 2 inches off the ground, comes back down and lays it up

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
To nobody's surprise Festus Ezeli is most likely going to have "season ending" (can it end if it never began?) knee surgery.

Also Westbrook played joyous friendship basketball for the good of the fans tonight while selfish fan-hating nogoodnik Kevin Durant barely managed 4 assists and hogged the vast majority of his team's points.

quote:

"I just try to read and react, man, try different moves," Westbrook said. "Bring some joy to the game, and that's what I try to do every night is have some fun, put smiles on people's faces. That's the best part of this game, [to] be able to touch people in different ways in all parts of the world just by having fun and enjoying the game."

Who has KD made smile lately other than techbros bent on destruction??

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Me but he's on my fantasy team so you know I'm a lil biased.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

attackmole posted:

Me but he's on my fantasy team so you know I'm a lil biased.

Smiles from one's fantasy team don't count as real smiles. They're empty smiles.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...
If Reggie tried hard on defense every possession he'd be one of the best defenders in the league. Too bad he's a shithead.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Spite posted:

If Reggie tried hard on defense every possession he'd be one of the best defenders in the league. Too bad he's a shithead.

if reggie would understand his abilities yes he would be better yes

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

leftist heap posted:

Who has KD made smile lately other than techbros bent on destruction??
Me.

Really it's just been fun watching athletes like KD and McGee jumping out of the gym.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
The Wolves team is as hosed as the 76ers except they have a guard problem instead of a big problem. Really what they need to do is both teams need to swap like half their team with each other to make two competent young teams. The problem is both franchises keep drafting the same loving position over and over and over and this is what it ends up looking like when you do that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, the Wolves bigger problem is definitely still bigs because they have no true PF on the roster and 3 centers. Taj Gibson would be perfect for the Wolves. You can run double guards with some success. Double center is way worse of a problem.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

WhyteRyce posted:

How dare you. No one is allowed to touch Rubio.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Libertine posted:

The Wolves team is as hosed as the 76ers except they have a guard problem instead of a big problem. Really what they need to do is both teams need to swap like half their team with each other to make two competent young teams. The problem is both franchises keep drafting the same loving position over and over and over and this is what it ends up looking like when you do that.

The Wolves have two Centers and a small forward (I think that's what Shabazz plays) in their last five first round picks

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The 'wolves problem is they're young as heck, at a lot of positions, and people had unrealistic expectations of them.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I'm still laughing at everyone who thought they would be a .500 team. Just like I'm sure people are laughing at me for thinking the Pels would be .500.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I thought both of them would crack .500 and fight for a playoff spot. Hooray!

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I thought the Pacers and Detroit would be well above 500 by this point

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

IcePhoenix posted:

What does this mean these days? He struggles with bigger wings?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Libertine posted:

?? The last few drafts the Wolves have drafted PG, C, SF-SG, SG-PG, C-F, Whatever the gently caress Shabazz is (SF I guess). How is that drafting the same position over and over? Their starters are comprised of 4 guys they drafted in the last 4 years. Its too early to tell with Dunn, but every other pick has been very good value for its spot.

Rick posted:

The 'wolves problem is they're young as heck, at a lot of positions, and people had unrealistic expectations of them.

Basically this. They need experience more than anything. The defensive plan isn't working very well and they still need real depth. Brandon Rush has been awful and Aldrich has been OK but mostly invisible. A real PF that would move Dieng to the 2nd unit would go a long way, but really they need some SF who can shoot so they don't need to play Wiggins and LaVine next to each other so much. As IcePhoenix said, Wiggins plays best at the 2.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Row posted:

What does this mean these days? He struggles with bigger wings?

He's better when he can post up smaller wings and he defends quicker guys better than he defends stronger guys. He can also handle the ball well enough that he doesn't need to play next to two other ball handlers.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
"The Wolves will trade Wiggins, and Zach LaVine will turn out to be the better player with the better career." Something a friend said to me last week... and I don't think it's that crazy.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It's incredibly cool that Zach LaVine is a better player than Andrew Wiggins

Jack's Flow posted:

"The Wolves will trade Wiggins, and Zach LaVine will turn out to be the better player with the better career." Something a friend said to me last week... and I don't think it's that crazy.

not too long ago it was just IcePhoenix and I believing in him... and everyone laughed at me for drafting him as my SG in the GM thread. Whos got the laughter now.

Cool Buff Man fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 18, 2016

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kibner posted:

I'm still laughing at everyone who thought they would be a .500 team. Just like I'm sure people are laughing at me for thinking the Pels would be .500.

I thought the Rockets would be a .500 team or just below. I am pleasantly surprised!

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Yeah, I completely agree. He's not another ultra athletic bust and that's great.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

It's incredibly cool that Zach LaVine is a better player than Andrew Wiggins

not too long ago it was just IcePhoenix and I believing in him... and everyone laughed at me for drafting him as my SG in the GM thread. Whos got the laughter now.

You guys do get credit for carrying that torch, but I'd like to point out I was chanting the "Zach LaVine Is Not A Point Guard" mantra right off the bat, an important cornerstone to the "Zach LaVine is a Good Player" journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, I completely agree. He's not another ultra athletic bust and that's great.

Sam Mitchell forcing him to struggle for an entire year at the wrong position forced him to adapt in a very strange way. There was an article about how Mitchell had set up an elaborate system of hockey equipment or something all over the court that forced LaVine to dribble low to the ground like some sort of basketball limbo. Sam Mitchell: Misunderstood Genius

Lockback posted:

You guys do get credit for carrying that torch, but I'd like to point out I was chanting the "Zach LaVine Is Not A Point Guard" mantra right off the bat, an important cornerstone to the "Zach LaVine is a Good Player" journey.

Definitely, that was a rough thing to watch.

• Locked thread