Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

He meant Labour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh right.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I was surprised to find out that they are going for medical weed, but advocating medicinal weed is v different from legalisation.

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
It would be pretty great if medical weed was legal tbh

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

bike tory posted:

I was surprised to find out that they are going for medical weed, but advocating medicinal weed is v different from legalisation.
It's a stepping stone - it helps to destigmatize it in the minds of the public, which could lead to further legalisation. Getting it made 100% legal overnight is pretty much not gonna happen.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I don't smoke it because I don't like it, basically. Don't care about the legality because frankly, it's everywhere. I've yet to read about a violent rampage committed by someone high on cannabis. As far as I know, and admittedly it isn't much, it just veges you out, makes you hungry and can quell pain. I know of some people who can function perfectly fine on it, but most people I know who smoke just become dumb when they are high.

Which is fine. I love laughing with/at people being dumb.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
So long as it follows the same laws as Alcohol /Cigs (Don't blast it on the street, don't smoke it around children or inside venues, don't operate heavy machinery) I couldn't give two shits about it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

bike tory posted:

yeah, the last time it was put in, they're basically trying to make an entirely new classification of medicine.. no where is there provision for prescription drugs to be entire plants of unknown quantities of actives etc

im all for decriminialisation and legalisation but that also makes me wonder if that means anyone can just come off the street and buy phenytoin or zuclopenthixol

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

echinopsis posted:

yeah, the last time it was put in, they're basically trying to make an entirely new classification of medicine.. no where is there provision for prescription drugs to be entire plants of unknown quantities of actives etc

im all for decriminialisation and legalisation but that also makes me wonder if that means anyone can just come off the street and buy phenytoin or zuclopenthixol

TBH if medicinal users want to smoke trees than they would probably be better served by recreational legalisation

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

Don't care about the legality because frankly, it's everywhere.

While it's everywhere, getting it from a dealer/having to maintain a relationship with a dealer is often a really lovely and unfun experience

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Yeah I guess that would suck.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

It's a good way to make connections with the local headhunters. :v:

Kathleen
Feb 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
i've always seen weed as more of an informal currency in nz. the last time i had any it was because i looked after an ex's mum's cats for a few days.

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

alien observer posted:

i've always seen weed as more of an informal currency in nz. the last time i had any it was because i looked after an ex's mum's cats for a few days.

Oddly enough I once had a cat who brought a bag of weed in through the cat door.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
are you all hype for the reshuffle

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Define hype.

Just got back from the bay, the Farmer's Market was pretty cool, but it seems to have gotten a little pricier over the years.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11769283

I can't believe they've made David Bennett, the shaved ape of Hamilton East, a Minister :cripes:

Collins is now the Minister responsible for mining & drilling, a portfolio which is extremely popular with the public, lol

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

merry exmarx posted:

Collins is now the Minister responsible for mining & drilling, a portfolio which is extremely popular with the public, lol
Does that it her in charge of dealing with Pike River? Because if so it means they may have given up on West Coast-Tasman for a while.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Nothing earth shaking tbh. Only surprise is Bridges getting a big promotion and McCully holding onto foreign affairs. Good to see Collins going down in the world.

Simon Bridges is a particularly bad pick for MBIE since by all accounts it's a micromanager's job and he seems extremely absent minded and kinda thick. At least that's the way Joyce ran it, maybe under him Finance will become even more heavy handed

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
David Bennett, Alfred Ngaro and Mark Mitchell (Mike Sabin's bff) all loving suck, and they're pretty safe from Parliamentary questions with those portfolios. That's the biggest danger imo.

Varkk posted:

Does that it her in charge of dealing with Pike River? Because if so it means they may have given up on West Coast-Tasman for a while.

I don't think so

bike tory posted:

Nothing earth shaking tbh. Only surprise is Bridges getting a big promotion and McCully holding onto foreign affairs. Good to see Collins going down in the world.

Simon Bridges is a particularly bad pick for MBIE since by all accounts it's a micromanager's job and he seems extremely absent minded and kinda thick. At least that's the way Joyce ran it, maybe under him Finance will become even more heavy handed

Yeah I think it was Joyce who made ED such a meaty portfolio, afaik it wasn't before he came along? I'm interested in what the new Infrastructure portfolio entails, it might mean he gets to keep his fingers in lots of pies still.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

bike tory posted:

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

I want to be a fly on the wall in Crusher's office so badly right now.

we could bottle her rage and sell it

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Bennett police minister lol

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/grantrobertson1/status/810331361542189056

Maybe it's been folded into Communications? idk

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
No more housing minister?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No housing problem.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Maybe if they get rid of TPK and Pacific Peoples then some of those pesky race problems will go away too?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
the housing split kind of makes sense imo

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The Mt. Albert by-election will happen in February next year. Bill English has stated that National will not be standing a candidate. It looks like Jacinda Ardern is being moved over there, so I suppose National have effectively conceded that one.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Makes sense not to waste the time/money, but I'm surprised they don't want the exposure at least. They won the party vote in Mt Albert last time

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hasn't mattered in their by-election performances though, has it? They won the party vote in Mt Roskill in 2014, and look where that got their candidate in the by-election there a few weeks ago.

When's the last time they actually won one? Jami-Lee Ross about 5 or 6 years ago?

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

bike tory posted:

Makes sense not to waste the time/money, but I'm surprised they don't want the exposure at least. They won the party vote in Mt Albert last time

They got caned in Northland and Mt Roskill, English is averting a hat-trick. The only way to win is not to play.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Hillary 2020 posted:

They got caned in Northland and Mt Roskill, English is averting a hat-trick. The only way to win is not to play.

The Greens prefer a good game of chess.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Hasn't mattered in their by-election performances though, has it? They won the party vote in Mt Roskill in 2014, and look where that got their candidate in the by-election there a few weeks ago.

When's the last time they actually won one? Jami-Lee Ross about 5 or 6 years ago?

I more meant stend the candidate to raiae the party profile/vote, same way the greens do. The point about not wanting to lose three in a row is apt, particularly not two close together the year before the election.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Just because you're not entering doesn't mean you're not losing it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hillary 2020 posted:

Yeah, but the narrative around it now just makes them look a bit chickenshit.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The narrative they're going with is that Labour is wasting tax-payer money on yet another frivilous by-election.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The narrative they're going with is that Labour is wasting tax-payer money on yet another frivilous by-election.

That would be a good sell, but they're competiting with the strong sense of pride/ownership NZ has over any kiwi experiencing remote success on the international stage.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Wait, doesn't a bi-election have to happen? I don't really see how putting a candidate forth is wasting money.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Doesn't need to happen. Only if more than one candidate is nominated.
Only time it came close was when Winston left National and neither Labour nor National stood against him but a few no name independents did and he won by a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murrah
Mar 22, 2015

I heard crusher lost some portfolios

I am happy

I am not happy about basically everything else about 2016

• Locked thread