Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

I honestly don't know how some of the people who organize the higher end stuff do things for so long. I helped run a new player alliance (guild) for like a year and got burnt out because it just stopped being fun. Same with the videos I used to do showing the map changes in the player controlled areas. EVE is certainly a game/hobby that takes a fair amount of dedication, and the people who love playing it genuinely do enjoy it and have fun despite some of the shittiness due to game code or mechanics you have to work around. It was best described to me as "the most complicated strategy game because its always against other humans and not the AI." Thankfully you can also play super casual if you want, which is what I do now for the most part, especially with the shift to making all trial accounts Free To Play accounts with slight restrictions on what they can fly and can do mechanically.

Its also no coincidence that a lot of people who play EVE also play CK, EU, & HOI. Strategy game rule, and the dudes who do the higher group level management are pretty solid at strategy games. Just depends on the rules and mechanics is all.

Oddly enough I love all those games except EVE. Hahah. I enjoy my singleplayer experience. (Although, I think those games would be great multiplayer my schedule does not allow for such goon fun :( )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Some have doubted that CIG made a dill sergeant

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

What is odd for me this year is I usually have an "Xmas MMO". Nothing at all has grabbed me this year, so I'm really wondering if the MMO industry is on it's last legs, with people favouring "pick up and play" games like Overwatch.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xaerael posted:

What is odd for me this year is I usually have an "Xmas MMO". Nothing at all has grabbed me this year, so I'm really wondering if the MMO industry is on it's last legs, with people favouring "pick up and play" games like Overwatch.

I think if a visionary can come up with a fun theme, and a "fun" payscale or whatever, it won't be a problem. If every solution is "This is WoW V 2.1!", then it is hosed forever.

They need to craft a new dynamic. That is very hard. Requires original thinking, the crobblers' worst suit. But it is not impossible. It would just require a *very* high level of competence. To be honest, I think DAOC 2.0 could get some (like 20%) of WoW based on where they are shooting.

All these fucks complain about WoW....but, I played Wow. gently caress, maybe over 2k hours. I am *NOT* a hardcore gamer. My stay at home son brother is....Imagine the hours he has played. Deride their "poo poo" all you want, they know what the gently caress they are doing. They have the base. They have the money. They have the machine. Don't make a product that say they want to be the opposite of all successful games, or you may be *GASP* unsuccessful.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xaerael posted:

I'm pretty sure the MMO market is in massive decline. They're almost all F2P and surviving off whales and micro-transactions.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Also, if the crobs is MMOs last leg:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3b6hDCIeDk

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Xaerael posted:

They are very dead because they are trying to cram the "pick up and play" into a genre that is incompatible with the "instant gratification" generation.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

When even ABH is not giving them any more monies...

quote:

You make many valid points. I was all set to buy another package/character slot. Not so much now.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I think if a visionary can come up with a fun theme, and a "fun" payscale or whatever, it won't be a problem. If every solution is "This is WoW V 2.1!", then it is hosed forever.

They need to craft a new dynamic. That is very hard. Requires original thinking, the crobblers' worst suit. But it is not impossible. It would just require a *very* high level of competence. To be honest, I think DAOC 2.0 could get some (like 20%) of WoW based on where they are shooting.

All these fucks complain about WoW....but, I played Wow. gently caress, maybe over 2k hours. I am *NOT* a hardcore gamer. My stay at home son brother is....Imagine the hours he has played. Deride their "poo poo" all you want, they know what the gently caress they are doing. They have the base. They have the money. They have the machine. Don't make a product that say they want to be the opposite of all successful games, or you may be *GASP* unsuccessful.

Milky Moor posted:

I'm pretty sure the MMO market is in massive decline. They're almost all F2P and surviving off whales and micro-transactions.

I think the only Sub based MMO that's doing well and still seeing notable growth is FF14. But FF14 is a pretty drat good MMO with excellent gameplay, eye candy cutscenes and update patchnotes that take an afternoon to read.

I mean, try to imagine crobbler pulling off a piece of narrative like this (pretty old) cutscene, which features dialogue free storytelling, mocap done right, and a studio confident enough to admit they hosed up their first try:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h542YbZuwkQ

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/s0EFyzM.mp4

Mama, I just spent two hours killing a man

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Xaerael posted:

I think the only Sub based MMO that's doing well and still seeing notable growth is FF14. But FF14 is a pretty drat good MMO with excellent gameplay, eye candy cutscenes and update patchnotes that take an afternoon to read.

I mean, try to imagine crobbler pulling off a piece of narrative like this (pretty old) cutscene, which features dialogue free storytelling, mocap done right, and a studio confident enough to admit they hosed up their first try:

I feel bad, I misled in my last post. I have not had a WoW sub in 3 years. I have had 4 months and the base game of FFXIV and enjoyed every minute of it. But, uh, I am pretty busy! That is kinda why I quit, give up, and dont pay. My bad, I guess.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Risc1911 posted:

When even ABH is not giving them any more monies...

wow maybe abh is a real person after all

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Xaerael posted:

Yeah, that's very true. I'm not an anime person but I had some friends playing FF14 so I hopped on for the thirty free days or something? It was definitely an interesting take on the MMO formula but not for me. In my time, I've played WoW (for like two weeks), Champions Online, Neverwinter, TSW and TOR. I couldn't get in to WoW. Champions Online is neat but running on obvious life support at the moment and is lucky that nothing else matches it for character customization or superheroes in general. Neverwinter was a lot of fun but I just lost interest. TSW and TOR both felt like single-player RPGs that were shoehorned into MMOs. I liked TOR a lot but, man, the grind was ridiculous and the 'old history' Star Wars setting was kind of boring.

Oh, and the DC one. But that one was really bad.

I think I'll always just be more of a MU* person.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sandi popping up on the SM stream is even more hilarious when you see the context.

http://i.imgur.com/kSUybDo.mp4

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Xaerael posted:

The only problem I found with Eve was there was too much waiting involved, and logging in to do something, and just sitting around with nothing to do until you had to log out was a bit bleh. When you got involved in something big and epic though, that always felt amazing.
EVE is 99% waiting for something to happen and 1% it happening. Unless you like, mining or some other boring poo poo.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://i.imgur.com/5cA1lcu.gifv

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:discourse:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:five:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

SelenicMartian posted:

Some have doubted that CIG made a dill sergeant

Is he wearing an earring?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

hakimashou posted:

Is he wearing an earring?
At least.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
wait, what if

http://i.imgur.com/5cA1lcu.gifvhttp://i.imgur.com/5cA1lcu.gifvhttp://i.imgur.com/5cA1lcu.gifvhttp://i.imgur.com/5cA1lcu.gifv

hmm

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Xaerael posted:

FF11 still going strong and much better than FF14.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

alf_pogs posted:

wow maybe abh is a real person after all

She reached the center of the maze

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

Did Windows have any suggestions as to what the solution might be?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

reverend crabhands posted:

Did Windows have any suggestions as to what the solution might be?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Kakarot posted:

She reached the center of the maze

abh is derek

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Here are some 3-frame gifs of all the waving teams before they get downsized again.

1. LA, with someone's mom on the left...

2. Wilmslow, with the usual parking lot routine...

3. Austin, with at least one office cleaner in the shot on the right, to inflate the numbers...

4. Frankfurt, with a very interesting kind of waving in the middle there...

5. And Turbulent at an unspecified location, summing up the stream lovely, and featuring people who came it just for this shot

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Why does Sandi have a loading indicator around her neck?

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Risc1911 posted:

FF11 still going strong and much better than FF14.

I recently started playing XI again on a private server, set around the 2008 era. Soo much more fun that most of the poo poo out there.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

orcinus posted:

Why does Sandi have a loading indicator around her neck?

That's her charisma plugin. Sadly, no one noticed crobbler programmed it, and it stalled during loading about 6 years ago.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

intardnation posted:

100% plan to do it. It just get frustrating that in a tutorial in vr and they push x key and it isnt bound under KB+M and your blind as gently caress and having to move my hands off the g13 to try and find it.
Once the refund comes through I plan to pick up maybe the worthog hotas or (t1600)for elite and dcs. Then use VA for the others. If CIG ever send me the money - mind you I still have to pay a fair chunk but what I saw in ED was pretty incredible visually. Just
everything else was a pita.

Map your keys, ffs.
A HOTAS won't cure your lazyness, you'll still need to map the controls.

Also, playing ED with m+kb in VR is just fine, you seriously don't need a stick.
It just slows things down (while giving you a placebo ”i'm in control” feeling).

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Hobold posted:

I recently started playing XI again on a private server, set around the 2008 era. Soo much more fun that most of the poo poo out there.

Yupp, poo poo is hard and fun. There are level 75 cap Linkshells on the official server doing the same. Works nicely since you need to do the level cap quest to go above 75.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Ash1138 posted:

night mayor is the name of my hair metal band plz do not doxx

Night mayor is the name of my bedtime storybook for politicians plz do not archer

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

AP posted:

GAME IS NOW TOTAL LOST

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Since your release of 2.6 to the subs a lot of us now can't login or even get to the hangar, congrats on this as I have been a backer for years the year has sucked for me not to mention the friends and backers you could have had on last nights stream sadly they won't be joining but that was your fault, but even after that now I can't even login to the drat game this may be the last time for me and I've alway's been bragging about SC now And not just me alot of other player's are feeling let down, this may be the end of me staying with this game, Plz sort this crap out or I will looking into getting a refund, oh and before you all say try this and try that, I already did!

ACTUAL RESULT
Fix this Problem for all of us backer's who have stood by you guy's for a long time
EXPECTED RESULT
At least somone to message or contact me or at least go on the forums and explain what you will do about this problem to get it fixed and how long it will take

A lot of the responses to this are people calling it an opinion. Not being able to login. The few who are getting that it's a bug, are saying that's what he should expect when trying to play 2.6 on the PTU, totally forgetting that they're on the loving bug report section, and completely missing that he's trying to play 2.5.

lol if CIG not only makes 2.6 subscriber only over the holiday pause, but also breaks 2.5.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

XK posted:

A lot of the responses to this are people calling it an opinion. Not being able to login. The few who are getting that it's a bug, are saying that's what he should expect when trying to play 2.6 on the PTU, totally forgetting that they're on the loving bug report section, and completely missing that he's trying to play 2.5.

lol if CIG not only makes 2.6 subscriber only over the holiday pause, but also breaks 2.5.

Incompetence is running wild at CIG HQ. How they break older versions that should be completely isolated is a mystery.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I like how we seemingly can't help quoting and engaging the FYAD mongoloids craving for attention and validation from their cool clique

Lazrin please come back man you were better than this!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ArfJason posted:

Im a fan of not being obsessed about the videogame to the point where when a completely different game updates, you think of the bad spaceship game. Or when someone goes watch star wars, they think of the fail videogame. Its something really cool and normal people do.

I played an early access pre-alpha space game tonight/this morning. It's still early days but it's so much better than that one video game... Star citizen.

Moon base is best base btw. Oh and sorry about doxxing you. I took some time to do that too.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Not a complete mystery. The subscriber 2.6 release was in panic mode. No one cared if it broke the 2.5 at that time.

Tax (?)

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Dec 18, 2016