Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Why is there a million fansubs of episode 69 of magical lolicon robot mecha adventures or whatever but no love for Arino?

Sci-Fi and Anime just push people's "fandom insanity" buttons and those tend to be able to get away with a lot more "commercially" than other genres, like how they were able to sell every individual episode of Star Trek on VHS in the early-90's basically until VHS died, while any other TV Series if it were blessed enough to get a VHS release at all, would just get random "best of" episode collections where even if you bought them all you maybe only had a half-season's worth of random episodes.

It's kind of similar to why there are 8 million fan edits of Star Wars and there are like 6 of every other movie combined. The pretty 2D ladies do funny things to our lizard brains and due to all sorts of weird circumstances therefrom, you can simultaneously have some anime boxsets in Japan costing more than a decent used car, and people back in the mid-90's making fansubs with university equipment and selling them in Chinatown and/or disseminating them on an IRC server on an ISDN line in God's true format, RealPlayer.

Coupled with Hokuto's point (and subtitling on-screen stuff gets messy fast :gonk: ) subbing GCCX is pretty up-there in terms of difficulty (and this applies both to the translation itself and the technical requirements of the subtitling which are more demanding than most anime) and depending on your reasons for doing the subtitling, may be less appealing than an anime (due to perceived download numbers, "cred" in the subbing scene or any other reason you can think of).

Caitlin posted:

Frankly your friend's problem was going hyper-niche anyway; dedicating a shop exclusively to renting anime titles was destined for failure.

Well it wasn't just Anime titles, he also had a ton of Asian cinema in general, but yeah, he definitely only really carried stuff that interested people who knew how torrents worked.

univbee fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

A friend of mine with an anime rental shop went out of business because his clientele was overwhelmingly far too internet-savvy and by the time an official DVD release or whatever would happen, the show would be a year old or more and completely passé.

I think this is a problem with any nerd focused retailer. I see this all the time with board game shops who are often sustained solely on whatever card game is popular among the elementary school set at the moment.

univbee posted:

Coupled with Hokuto's point (and subtitling on-screen stuff gets messy fast :gonk: ) subbing GCCX is pretty up-there in terms of difficulty (and this applies both to the translation itself and the technical requirements of the subtitling which are more demanding than most anime) and depending on your reasons for doing the subtitling, may be less appealing than an anime (due to perceived download numbers, "cred" in the subbing scene or any other reason you can think of).

Continuing this: it seriously isn't a joke that the trivia episodes are absolutely overwhelming top to bottom to do, to use the obvious example.

And there's a reason that nobody is champing at the bit to do Captain Tsubasa.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

And there's a reason that nobody is champing at the bit to do Captain Tsubasa.

I'm not a soccer fan, so technical issues aside, I'd have to learn all about soccer, as well as about the franchise as a whole.
I'm a baseball/Koshien fan, that's what made that challenge do-able and fun.

univbee posted:

Coupled with Hokuto's point (and subtitling on-screen stuff gets messy fast :gonk: ) subbing GCCX is pretty up-there in terms of difficulty (and this applies both to the translation itself and the technical requirements of the subtitling which are more demanding than most anime)

My examples, when Arino mutters in Kansai-ben (didn't realize how spoiled I was by his mic at the Budokan/the smaller studio usually used for challenges until I was working on the Super Mario Maker Live Challenge), and when a bunch of people are talking while others are shouting and laughing, and when you stop for a good hour to research a game that got an official release to make sure 3-4 lines of dialogue are using all the correct terms, and...

But yes, it's an interesting challenge, that's part of why I keep doing it.
(and if I had to compare his accent to Hamaguchi's, Arino is the Kelsey Grammer to Hamaguchi's "man hits angry mountain lion with banjo", that's why I'm in no hurry to do more GCDX.)

Hokuto posted:

With people delivering lines from a script.

I think I might have done with first GCCX fansub with something resembling a script earlier this week...

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 28, 2016

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

GCCX needs more Watanabe Pantsu shots.

They really had something with the Gayme Center CX segment but Toujima got cold feet and that just ruined everything.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

I think I might have done with first GCCX fansub with something resembling a script earlier this week...

Actually, the entire first season (the interview season) has transcripts in the first GCCX book and we've used them to help out with those episodes. But don't tell anyone we're cheating like that. :v:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Kakaricho posted:

when you stop for a good hour to research a game that got an official release to make sure 3-4 lines of dialogue are using all the correct terms

This doesn't go unnoticed, and it's really appreciated.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Actually, the entire first season (the interview season) has transcripts in the first GCCX book and we've used them to help out with those episodes. But don't tell anyone we're cheating like that. :v:

What about a script you wrote yourself...

Pastry of the Year posted:

This doesn't go unnoticed, and it's really appreciated.

People doing play-throughs on Youtube are the unsung heroes. Especially people who don't talk while playing.

This is the face of a man who's heard Sega be insulted for the last time.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I don't know WTF the new Famillionaire segment is about (the prices and all) but those "straws" they used in the show were absolutely hilarious.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

I was just trying to watch the trailer for the night of the sickle weasel remake and saw a bunch of GCCX with Russian subs on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEeyzYErE18

Didn't realize the Kachou had fans in Russia!

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

TeaJay posted:

I don't know WTF the new Famillionaire segment is about (the prices and all) but those "straws" they used in the show were absolutely hilarious.

Basically, three questions right, he gets the prize revealed in sequence from the bottom. One mistake, the prize revealed from the top goes away.

Acer Pilot posted:

Didn't realize the Kachou had fans in Russia!

Putin arrived in Japan for a very important meeting this afternoon, and I don't believe in coincidences...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kakaricho posted:

Putin arrived in Japan for a very important meeting this afternoon, and I don't believe in coincidences...

Yeah. First zari-gani goes to Japan, and then Putin right afterward....

:eek: zari-gani, be careful of people carrying umbrellas! And don't drink the soup if it tastes polonium-y!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
You talk like she hasn't been the one pulling the strings all along...

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Gutcruncher posted:

You talk like she hasn't been the one pulling the strings all along...

Hmmm, Putin, Kan, and zari-gani...
...!
Wait a second!

Illuminati confirmed!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Ho you fakas, if there's at least three, four of us going tomorrow, let's do ghetto goon meet :v: I know a grear curry place in Akihabara and if that ain't your guys' thing, there's always Jack In The Donut from the japan.jpg thread

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

Ho you fakas, if there's at least three, four of us going tomorrow, let's do ghetto goon meet :v: I know a grear curry place in Akihabara and if that ain't your guys' thing, there's always Jack In The Donut from the japan.jpg thread

For those of you going, Kan just tweeted that you need to buy another copy of the book to get it signed by Nina as part of the agreement with Softmap letting him use the event area.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

What time?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I was planning on catching an early train, maybe check the crane catchers, and then show up there around the time the event starts--11:30 or thereabouts. I still prefer the western noonish lunchtime, but hey, it helps you beat the 1:30 lunch rush :v:

Kakaricho posted:

For those of you going, Kan just tweeted that you need to buy another copy of the book to get it signed by Nina as part of the agreement with Softmap letting him use the event area.

I'm okay with this because when I ordered my book the first time, I wasn't 100% on it with my Japanese mail system yet and it ended up getting cannibalized in some storage facility.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm up for whatever. Not keen on buying another copy of the book but it's better than having to buy a DVD set.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

If anyone is interested, there's a hashtag and official Twitter account for the event today.

https://twitter.com/gccx1217

https://twitter.com/hashtag/gccx1217?src=hash

Arino sends the best balloons.

Kakaricho fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 17, 2016

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Ahhh what a magical evening. After the signing, I did the stamp rally and went to the wrap-up dinner where I sat next to Arino and talked to him most of the time.
Thanks to the guys in this thread that came to see me. It was a pleasure meeting everyone.
The funniest part of the signing was learning that most of the fans assumed I was male until they saw me.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Apparently that's because doujin artists often use female names in Japan. Apparently.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

One thing I've always hoped someone would do is make a compilation of all the Arcade trip visits and paste them into one long video file. That would be a good watch for days like these when I got the flu and a fever.

Maybe I have to do it someday.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

Ahhh what a magical evening. After the signing, I did the stamp rally and went to the wrap-up dinner where I sat next to Arino and talked to him most of the time.
Thanks to the guys in this thread that came to see me. It was a pleasure meeting everyone.
The funniest part of the signing was learning that most of the fans assumed I was male until they saw me.

I don't know why, but the staff using the official Twitter to show you meeting Nakayama for the first time cracked me up.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Abe is such a handsome cameraman. :allears:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
Posting this exchange before I forget:
me: "Gamers overseas tend to lose their temper playing games, so your patience is very respected and inspires viewers"
Arino: "Then maybe next time I should try throwing the controller and going 'FUUUUUCK'"

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

zari-gani posted:

me: "Gamers overseas tend to lose their temper playing games, so your patience is very respected and inspires viewers"
Arino: "Then maybe next time I should try throwing the controller and going 'FUUUUUCK'"

Arino, friend to the common man.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

I love this man I've never met.:allears:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

zari-gani posted:

Did he literally say gently caress for the sake of American viewers or is there a Japanese equivalent? I only know "kuso" which I understand is kinda mild and more like drat or crap?

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

zari-gani posted:

He has obviously been watching streamers in order to keep tabs on the competition. A true professional.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

zari-gani posted:

Arino truly is just a treasure.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

zari-gani posted:

- Throws controller

- Shorter cords yank the system off the table, game crashes with the system

- Kan voice-over to a segment worrying if he can recover

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Stefan Prodan posted:

Did he literally say gently caress for the sake of American viewers or is there a Japanese equivalent? I only know "kuso" which I understand is kinda mild and more like drat or crap?

"fakku" is present in the odd thing. It was, of course, used prolificly in the dubbed version of the South Park movie, but I have seen it in Japanese-made things too, even the trailer to Visitor Q (which is mostly stickmen because basically none of the movie is acceptable viewing to general audiences) credits one character as "fazaafakkaa" (Fatherfucker, something the character does two minutes into the movie).

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It did not shock me when I learned that "gently caress" is a distinctive word which peppers Anglophone speech enough that other people readily associate it with us.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
My, that's a big Fuckin' sale.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:

Kakaricho posted:

- Throws controller

- Shorter cords yank the system off the table, game crashes with the system

- Kan voice-over to a segment worrying if he can recover

You laugh but I broke a PS1 this way playing Marvel vs Capcom

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

zari-gani posted:

Beyond jealous that you experienced such a magical moment. :allears:

Tatsujin posted:

You laugh but I broke a PS1 this way playing Marvel vs Capcom

I once threw a Gamecube controller at the Gamecube, breaking both.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I once threw a Gamecube controller at the Gamecube, breaking both.

Thank you for posting on our forums, Dr. Banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It makes sense that only a Gamecube could break a Gamecube.