Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
3.7GHz Zen 8c/16t will be worse in a 4t game than a 4.6GHz Skylake 4c/8t.

But if you could clock your 8c/16t Zen at 4.2GHz, I think people wouldn't mind being 500MHz behind in exchange for twice the cores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

the window will close by the time the back half of 2017 comes around with Cannonlake.
If Intel keeps up their trend of the last 3-4 generations of improving either perf/watt or the GPU at the expense of not improving the CPU performance much or even not at all then AMD will fine. Its too late for Intel to do anything major to Cannonlake short of maaaaaybe throwing a huge L3/4 cache on package to boost performance. Particularly if Zen+ actually gets the 10% IPC boost AMD claims it will. If Zen really is on par with Broadwell for single/multi thread performance than that'll just about put it neck to neck or a little faster per clock than Skylake/Kabylake.

Hell that'd even be true even if AMD 'only' got Haswell levels of single/multi thread performance.

Haquer posted:

Just worse than Skylake, intel's current offering.
Hardly worse though. See the above link for Haswell vs Skylake in real world applications. Reality is you could put a Broadwell and Skylake based system side by side at the same clocks and for most things people use barely see a difference at all.

If they've really pulled off Broadwell-esque single/multi thread performance then its a pretty big deal. Intel will still win the synthetic benches by significant margins but in real world apps the difference will be negligible. If they price it right they'll sell a ton of them. And if those rumored price lists turn out to be accurate I'll almost certainly end up buying the 8C/16T part.

EDIT: \/\/\/\/\/\/ Here is to hoping they're setting clockspeeds within the power or temp limits (with the stock HSF) they set for themselves and they're not actually process or design limited with what they can reach. Its quite possible that Zen will get over 4Ghz, maybe even well over that, if so but it'll probably turn into a furnace.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 17, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Have hope for Zen overclocking though, someone delidded a Bristol ridge APU and they use either sodder or some other liquid metal as TIM. No way they use an inferior material for Zen.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

My point is that even as Intel has left an opening for AMD to catch up, they have not done so, and even then the window will close by the time the back half of 2017 comes around with Cannonlake.
current intel roadmap says cannonlake 10nm will be almost exclusively mobile chips that are 2 cores, coffee lake will stay 14nm which means only uarch improvements and little else

given how much kaby lake has "improved" :supaburn:, i wouldn't get excited about intel jumping ahead all that much on the same node

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Yera Intel is already looking ahead at 2018 with desktop Cannonlake, which gives me the impression that if not performance competitve, Intel thinks AMD will be price competitive with Haswell-E/Broadwell/Skylake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wonder how effective AMD's power saving stuff actually is. And how well this does in games at 1440p.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

current intel roadmap says cannonlake 10nm will be almost exclusively mobile chips that are 2 cores, coffee lake will stay 14nm which means only uarch improvements and little else

given how much kaby lake has "improved" :supaburn:, i wouldn't get excited about intel jumping ahead all that much on the same node

Funny thing about that, I actually think that Intel hosed up Kaby Lake's TIM again, and not because Kaby Lake is bad.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-i7-7700k-has-arrived-insights-benchies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

That's an overclock to _5.3 GHz_. (Yup, we're doing THAT again.)

edit: Oh hey, WCCFT finally picked up the article.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 18, 2016

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Whoah, if 5GHz is doable for the majority of these delidded. I wonder if the memory controller will clock better, also.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
That is much better (~25% OC) but if you have to delid to do it probably not many will get that. I think before the delid he was getting to ~4.7Ghz stable which is much more ho hum.

It may be that if Intel just went with a shim/bare die instead of a mediocre IHS/TIM they'd really have a interesting item on their hands.

edit: actually those rockit 88 delid tools look pretty easy to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwg0HRw17lY

aren't too expensive either

http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/collections/all

Razor method still works I believe but if you're terrified of killing your chip that tool seems to be the way to go. Vise method might be a bad idea since the CPU package with newer Intel CPU's is thinner so you're more likely to break it that way. You can pay places like Silicon Lottery to delid for you but it costs $50.

It'll be interesting to see if delidding takes off but I strongly suspect only a few will really go through with it. Too many people terrified of bare dies or torquing on their CPU.

edit 2: actually reading more of the delid OC threads with current Skylakes getting to 5Ghz or a bit above that is already fairly common. This might not be as big of deal as I thought.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Dec 18, 2016

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Funny thing about that, I actually think that Intel hosed up Kaby Lake's TIM again, and not because Kaby Lake is bad.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/my-i7-7700k-has-arrived-insights-benchies-overclocks-inside-now-with-delid.2493250/

That's an overclock to _5.3 GHz_. (Yup, we're doing THAT again.)

edit: Oh hey, WCCFT finally picked up the article.

He still can't get it stable at 5 GHz even after the delid:

quote:

The journey to rock solid 5Ghz continues.
After delid, I was able to run Prime 95 v28.10 small FFTs (latest version!) at 5Ghz 1.392v for over 7 hours before one logical core failed.

At 5Ghz using Prime 95 v28.10 Small FFTs, I observed:
1.36v fails in 9 mins (one logical core)
1.376v fails in 17 mins (one logical core)
1.392v fails on one logical core in 7 hours 18 minutes.

1.392v is already high for a 14nm chip, and he can't really go higher. 1.4V wasn't recommended even for (32nm) Sandy Bridge, much less 22/14 nm.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why can't intel make thermal paste to save themselves?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

The problem before (at least in the past) was not thermal paste, but the gap between the die and the heatspreader, caused by the black glue around the edge of the heatspreader.

Someone did extensive work on testing different scenarios. The paste was OK, the gap was not.

But it doesn't compare at all to when they soldered the drat things on. I think AMD should definitely do that with Zen, and advertise it as being a selling point.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

HalloKitty posted:

The problem before (at least in the past) was not thermal paste, but the gap between the die and the heatspreader, caused by the black glue around the edge of the heatspreader.

Someone did extensive work on testing different scenarios. The paste was OK, the gap was not.

But it doesn't compare at all to when they soldered the drat things on. I think AMD should definitely do that with Zen, and advertise it as being a selling point.

They're doing it for Bristol Ridge, I'd expect them to do it for Zen as well.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

sincx posted:

He still can't get it stable at 5 GHz even after the delid:

1.392v is already high for a 14nm chip, and he can't really go higher. 1.4V wasn't recommended even for (32nm) Sandy Bridge, much less 22/14 nm.

I feel that when a man must run Prime95 for SEVEN HOURS before they have a failure on a single LOGICAL core, that OC is basically stable.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I feel that when a man must run Prime95 for SEVEN HOURS before they have a failure on a single LOGICAL core, that OC is basically stable.
For a gaming desktop you might be right but generally many consider that a OC has to be torture tested for 24 hours without errors or BSOD's before being called "stable". For me once I get close to 24 hours I call it good. I back up my stuff and I don't mind the occasional BSOD or reboot.

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

For a gaming desktop you might be right but generally many consider that a OC has to be torture tested for 24 hours without errors or BSOD's before being called "stable". For me once I get close to 24 hours I call it good. I back up my stuff and I don't mind the occasional BSOD or reboot.

Why though, is something like a 100mhz more really worth the BSODs? I cannot imagine it brings any significant performance increase over a little lower and stable OC.

Also i had a an OCd 6600k that would pass prime for a day but would randomly lock up in WoW only, that was weird.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Prime probably hits other instructions than wow more

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

LooKMaN posted:

Why though, is something like a 100mhz more really worth the BSODs?
To some yes. If its not to you then that is fine also. Your hardware and all so do what you want with it.

LooKMaN posted:

Also i had a an OCd 6600k that would pass prime for a day but would randomly lock up in WoW only, that was weird.
Yup that happens. People use Prime for torture testing because its known for that but realistically if you want to be extra thorough about it you run a bunch of other poo poo all at the same time and see what breaks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Boiled Water posted:

Prime probably hits other instructions than wow more

Prime will only really test the arithmetic units so I'm not surprised the more complex stuff that a game will exercise aren't stable when over clocked

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Yeah, the SIMD units seem to be the real killers here. Intel CPUs hit the heat ceiling pretty quickly when running a lot of AVX code and have to throttle themselves. If you're overclocking with a lot of voltage offset, no surprise it'll poo poo the bed eventually.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

because they dgaf about overclockers

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

FuturePastNow posted:

because they dgaf about overclockers

This is a good move.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Because it's hard to get the heatspreader/die/TIM/glue interfaces to all be perfect. The glue lifting one edge of the heatspreader a tiny faction of a mm can gently caress up the thermal conductivity pretty badly. No glue dries perfectly without shrinkage or expansion, so you run into some issues no matter how good your TIm or process is.

Solder+sealant doesn't have that issue, because you have a whetted bond between heatspreader and die before you fill in the cracks with a sealant to stiffen it up. Here's hoping we get more soldered chips, despite the extra cost to do so.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
To temper the love for solder: it's known to form super tiny cracks after many heat cycles in some use cases. Which could be bad. At least, that's what Intel says.

E: was just about to refer to Gwaihir's post in the Intel thread. drat have we been doing a lot of crossposting, to the point where I feel like people have been putting up rumors in the wrong thread.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 20, 2016

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Crossposting for relevance!!

http://overclocking.guide/the-truth-about-cpu-soldering/

TLDR, once CPU dies get small enough it breaks the solder after enough heat cycling.

(But de-lidding/using liquid metal TIM performs the same as solder does)

((Unless you're an extreme OCer doing sub zero cooling))

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
Time to start a rumour that AMD's new chips will come embedded directly in heat pipe fluid channels for ultimate OCability. WCCFT would surely write it up.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Stock price: AMD (NASDAQ) US$11.50 +0.55 (+5.02%)
Dec 20, 4:00 PM EST - Disclaimer

:what:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

Time to start a rumour that AMD's new chips will come embedded directly in heat pipe fluid channels for ultimate OCability. WCCFT would surely write it up.

You should write it and submit it.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Wistful of Dollars posted:

You should write it and submit it.

I'd be game to do this. Can someone provide convicting pictures of "internal" slides we could leak?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

I'd be game to do this. Can someone provide convicting pictures of "internal" slides we could leak?

IBM has some nice illustrations of on-chip watercooling, it would be a shame if someone were to photoshop them into AMDs slide template :angel:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

No Gravitas posted:

Just type something up with Platfrom in it in big red letters and you should be good.

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

repiv posted:

IBM has some nice illustrations of on-chip watercooling, it would be a shame if someone were to photoshop them into AMDs slide template :angel:

I spiced it up a bit.

https://imgur.com/a/ciyas

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Please, do you actually think AMD has the money to do poo poo like that?

They're more likely to cut channels in the heatspreaders and mount the rest of a waterblock on top of it. "It's like having a bare die, without having to delid it yourself!"

And they can get away with it, because it's still using a ZIF socket, there's no piece of metal that has to go over to push the chip down into the LGA socket.

C'mon guys, get your act together.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Stock price: AMD (NASDAQ) US$11.50 +0.55 (+5.02%)
Dec 20, 4:00 PM EST - Disclaimer

:what:

Everyone, stop buying this stock.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

:laffo:

No Gravitas
Jun 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

My favourite bit is the Chernobyl reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_liquidators

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

No Gravitas posted:

My favourite bit is the Chernobyl reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_liquidators

I didn't know what that badge was, but it's even funnier now.

I can actually see those dimwits running with it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I did not realize that today is the 22nd. Holy crap, where has the time gone.

Is January 17th still the expected launch date for Zen? I got my dates for CES and SHOT Show mixed up, that seems like critical delay between CES and launch, what with Kaby Lake dropping the 5th.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Dec 22, 2016

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Q1 2017. I would guess closer to Computex than CES but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I'm stoked to see what Zen and Vega are like, buuuuuut it won't be till fall/winter that I could actually afford to buy anything so. :smith:

Guess on the plus side I'll actually dodge the early adopter tax for once.

• Locked thread