Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah, that's like spleenruptile.gif. He needs to go to a hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BattleMaster posted:

I wish the video was longer because I want to see for sure if he really did just go back to whatever he was doing or if it took a second for the pain to hit him.

Full video is here: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a84_1327589326

It took a second or two for the pain to hit him.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I figured that was going to be the case, it's just that when the gif cuts out it looks like he's gone back to stretching or whatever without a care.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I heart bacon posted:

CO2 inhalation feels scary as hell. I've had it happen a few times. I've had to open up fermenters to add either fertilizer or antibiotics to them. The only reaction I've ever had to CO2 is dizziness and terror. I'd hate to die that way since it was a panic attack.

When I was in highschool, I worked at a paintball field. Something blew out on the valve between the big CO2 cylinder and the 20 oz tank I was filling. For a moment, I was engulfed in a white cloud of CO2. I took a sudden breath as this all happened very quickly. It was weird and hard to explain how it felt. I felt myself breathing in, but it was like the air just wasn't there. It was thin, non-existent, I didn't feel any substance to it.

Anyway, the valve piping swung around from the thrust (probably should have designed it so it would tighten in that situation) and smacked me in the hand pretty hard. Nothing broke, but I stuck my hand in the ice filled cooler full of sodas we sold to the customers for a bit and was good to go.

So, yeah, OSHA doesn't seem to get involved with highschoolers getting paid under the table filling CO2 tanks at a business legally under the owner's wife's name because he's collecting disability for an unrelated situation.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had no idea Michael Bay filmed accurate documentaries.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Sanctum posted:

Anyways those baggage guys are in the same boat as us fuelers. Some of their tugs have no brakes. Literally positioning around multimiliion dollar jetliners with no brakes.

It sounds like this company is not taking safety very seriously. I mean ideally they should not only attach the international standard "this vehicle has inoperable brakes" sign to the tugs, but also show everyone a video about how to drive a vehicle with no brakes :v:

But seriously that place sounds pretty hosed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Buttcoin purse posted:

It sounds like this company is not taking safety very seriously. I mean ideally they should not only attach the international standard "this vehicle has inoperable brakes" sign to the tugs, but also show everyone a video about how to drive a vehicle with no brakes :v:

But seriously that place sounds pretty hosed.
Back when I was ten and used rollerblades I always felt nervous leaning back to brake, so I'd just run into a wall to stop. Worked for me, should work for them.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Weembles posted:

That WBAL link earlier has his name, so that should clear it up.

Let's see.. his name is Marvellous Amasiatu.

Hmm.

YO, THE HUMANITY!

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

I heart bacon posted:

CO2 inhalation feels scary as hell. I've had it happen a few times. I've had to open up fermenters to add either fertilizer or antibiotics to them. The only reaction I've ever had to CO2 is dizziness and terror. I'd hate to die that way since it was a panic attack.

CO2 is the pretty much the only gas used to euthanize lab animals, probably because if nitrogen was used it might pose a danger to lab personnel, even if it is much more humane. Mice definitely freak the hell out before succumbing. Also there was some really dumb regulation (national i think) passed to reduce flow rate so the mice suffer for 10 minutes and not 2 because supposedly it's more humane?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Elysiume posted:

Back when I was ten and used rollerblades I always felt nervous leaning back to brake, so I'd just run into a wall to stop. Worked for me, should work for them.

Well, yeah, that's because the brake is a dumb way to stop on rollerblades that shouldn't really be there any more than training wheels on a bike - facilitates bad habits. Drag a foot behind you perpendicularly or if the surface is smooth enough, just stop the normal way you do on ice skates.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Whooping Crabs posted:

CO2 is the pretty much the only gas used to euthanize lab animals, probably because if nitrogen was used it might pose a danger to lab personnel, even if it is much more humane. Mice definitely freak the hell out before succumbing. Also there was some really dumb regulation (national i think) passed to reduce flow rate so the mice suffer for 10 minutes and not 2 because supposedly it's more humane?

Maybe so you don't gas the people if something is broken that causes the room to get flooded? Someone likely died getting that rule written, just got to look for it.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

oohhboy posted:

Maybe so you don't gas the people if something is broken that causes the room to get flooded? Someone likely died getting that rule written, just got to look for it.

The rule wasn't written by OSHA, but rather the animal use oversight board, so it has nothing to do with human safety

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Maybe a lower initial concentration makes the mice pass out before they die?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

e: This isn’t a test set‐up. It’s a jury‐rigged lab heater.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 18, 2016

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

What do you get when you fall in the sweets?
Chocolate that's tainted with minced worker meat

Why does this filling not taste so fresh?
Because it is filled with rot
ting
FLESH.

I don't like the taste of it.

Who do you blame when your kid's in a vat?
Chewed in machines with a sickening splat
Chocolate that's mixed with human remains
You know exactly who's to blame

The mother and the father

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Platystemon posted:

e: This isn’t a test set‐up. It’s a jury‐rigged lab heater.

Can't see anything wrong there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Yeah, but Free Market!

The non-free market recognizes that fabrics tend to be flammable and therefore regulations were passed requiring children's pajamas and some other things to be made with flame-retardant fabrics. Then it turned out that the chemicals used to make things flame retardant were carcinogenic and mutagenic. So those chemicals were replaced with other chemicals. Which also turn out to be not very good for you. So the government's attempt to protect a few kids from fires wound up exposing millions of kids to toxic chemicals.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is why you should only wear wool. Naturally fire resistant, odor resistant, and still maintains 80% of its insulation abilities when wet.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

This is why you should only wear wool. Naturally fire resistant, odor resistant, and still maintains 80% of its insulation abilities when wet.
Ayup. Even cotton's not the end of the world, it's the retarded synthetics in very light weight grades that'll catch on fire if you look at them wrong.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

evil_bunnY posted:

Ayup. Even cotton's not the end of the world, it's the retarded synthetics in very light weight grades that'll catch on fire if you look at them wrong.

Years ago, there was a big fire at a mall that I used to go to, started by a cigarette in the fake flower department. Those things apparently went up instantly.

Before that was known though, my uncle (who had no connection to the store or anything) somberly declared that it was because of "all the polyester in there." I guess he was more or less right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Light-weight cotton (like shirts for instance) is inflammable. It just doesn't melt onto your skin like synthetics. And the smoke of pure cotton probably isn't very toxic?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Whooping Crabs posted:

Huh. How would Nitrogen, and CO2 differ when asphyxiation is the hazard? Any gas other than oxygen would cause asphyxiation it would seem. Any kind of inert gas other than CO2 would do the trick though. CO2 is probably the worst because we're inherently programmed to detect its presence in concentrated amounts, and freaking the gently caress out is par for the course. Doesn't seem like a cool way to die.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm guessing because if there's an issue with the gas system, humans could asphyxiate without realizing it if nitrogen was used while carbon dioxide would set off the "oh poo poo something is wrong" feeling as a warning. Sucks for the animals but I'm guessing that human safety is a higher priority.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
The CO2 will make a human realize something is wrong and gtfo.

poo poo e:f,b

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bum the Sad posted:

Hmm climate change says otherwise.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Light-weight cotton (like shirts for instance) is inflammable. It just doesn't melt onto your skin like synthetics. And the smoke of pure cotton probably isn't very toxic?

otoh, I have a penny-sized scar on my leg from when a tube of super glue broke and burned the cotton of my jeans :( what a fun reaction

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bum the Sad posted:

but feeling terror and suffering panic attacks is normal for grad students

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Bum the Sad posted:

That can't be the sole reason - as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
And it would be very easy to odorize nitrogen similarly like natural gas.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Huh. How would Nitrogen, and CO2 differ when asphyxiation is the hazard? Any gas other than oxygen would cause asphyxiation it would seem. Any kind of inert gas other than CO2 would do the trick though. CO2 is probably the worst because we're inherently programmed to detect its presence in concentrated amounts, and freaking the gently caress out is par for the course. Doesn't seem like a cool way to die.

There's more than you would ever want to know about how to euthanize a rodent with various gasses in the AVMA Standards.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Default Settings posted:

as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
monoxide

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Poor guy thought he was complying with the rear end gas or grass policy.

This is why punctuation is so important.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Default Settings posted:

That can't be the sole reason - as many accidents show, human aren't very good at noticing dangerous levels of carbon dioxide.
And it would be very easy to odorize nitrogen similarly like natural gas.

Humans can die quickly from hazardous levels of carbon dioxide, but you definitely notice it. CO2 load is what makes you feel like you're suffocating.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you wanna experience the CO2 detector reflex for yourself just hold your breath until you can't

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe
By the time people notice that they are short of breath the levels are already dangerous, that is why I would prefer an odourant.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Poor guy thought he was complying with the rear end gas or grass policy.

This is why punctuation is so important.

I helped my uncle jack off a horse. :eng99:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Chichevache posted:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Chichevache posted:

What a jerk! :downsrim:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Jerry Cotton posted:

:vince:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Default Settings posted:

By the time people notice that they are short of breath the levels are already dangerous, that is why I would prefer an odourant.
State of the art for simple asphyxiants is an O2 monitor in any enclosed space where you're handling them. Odorant is more for when its something that is dangerous in low concentrations in a place it might not normally be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Jerry Cotton posted:

:iceburn: