Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Putin really likes dogs. :3: LIKE HITLER

For once, LH made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

So the situation in Poland is getting even worse. PiS is trying to pass a new resolution this week banning all media, except those approved by the government, from filming in the Sejm. This effectively cuts off access to political reporting to all except the government controlled and allied (Catholic) media. All the major independent media has been banned from filming in and reporting from the Sejm. The opposition MPs have formed a human barricade in front of the podium in the Sejm to prevent anyone access to it so the government can't pass the proposed regulation. Its a loving shitshow. This is how democracy dies.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Oh look, yet another item straight out of Foundations of Geopolitics.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ping pong ching chong wing wang wong!

It's really interesting that Dugin proposed strengthening nationalist strains in Polish catholicism to separate it from the softening stance of the Vatican. This is precisely what is going on and every pis voter plus half of the rest of us are really happy because of it.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa3V2Lc8eHs

https://twitter.com/MoscowTimes/status/810043608531435521

:stare:

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 17, 2016

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

Can't wait to see when "dismembering China to the maximum extent possible" really gets going. I'm sure that's still a really hot idea 20 years later.

And over here in "unstable" Finland we are absorbed back into Russia with "maximum cultural autonomy" and get combined with the Republic of Karelia too. Sounds like a plan!

Fabulous Knight fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Dec 17, 2016

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pierogi posted:

Ping pong ching chong wing wang wong!

It's really interesting that Dugin proposed strengthening nationalist strains in Polish catholicism to separate it from the softening stance of the Vatican. This is precisely what is going on and every pis voter plus half of the rest of us are really happy because of it.

IT would be unbelievably hilarious to me to see PiS sever from the vatican

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Watch PiS install an anti-pope

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone know anything about Gordon Hahn? Dude keeps getting name-checked by pro-Russian posters.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

E: old news

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is a good article about identifying Russian conscripts fighting in Eastern Ukraine.

https://informnapalm.org/en/russian-army-conscript-seen-donbas/

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Fabulous Knight posted:

Can't wait to see when "dismembering China to the maximum extent possible" really gets going. I'm sure that's still a really hot idea 20 years later.

Make Manchukuo Great Again.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The Russian ambassador to Turkey has apparently been shot in Ankara? (Seems to be alive...)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

The Russian ambassador to Turkey has apparently been shot in Ankara? (Seems to be alive...)
I'm seeing mentions of an alleged TASS confirmation of the attack, but the official word is not out yet. If the current version of events pans out to be true, the ambassador has been shot by a likely Turkish right-wing extremist as he gave the opening speech for the "Russia in Turkish eyes" photo exposition in the Modern Art Gallery of Ankara.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I'm seeing mentions of an alleged TASS confirmation of the attack, but the official word is not out yet. If the current version of events pans out to be true, the ambassador has been shot by a likely Turkish right-wing extremist as he gave the opening speech for the "Russia in Turkish eyes" photo exposition in the Modern Art Gallery of Ankara.

Mentions I saw quoted Turkish sources.. which apparently now say they ambassador is dead.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
The ambassador was supossed to give a speech at an art gallery, so there were quite some journalists present. The assassin is reported to have said "We die in Aleppo, you die here" before shooting the ambassador.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 19, 2016

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Clearest version yet https://twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/810895953754554368

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

I'd be very surprised if he's not dead after that.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

A Pale Horse posted:

I'd be very surprised if he's not dead after that.

Reuters already reported that the gunman and the ambassador are both dead.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

This is dramatic

https://twitter.com/moneyries/status/810897754872541185

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Volkerball posted:

Reuters already reported that the gunman and the ambassador are both dead.

Does it also specify if they were separate persons?

e: well, it looks like so

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The guy with the gun in his hand is probably the shooter.

It could be a security guard or bodyguard, as well, but if that's the shooter, that's definitely a manifesto pose.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/V_of_Europe/status/810898960957243392

https://twitter.com/Amie_FR/status/810898260860825605

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Did others die or is that man whose shoes we see just taking cover (I hope he's just taking cover)

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/WarfareWW/status/810890784190988289

The shooter was part of his security detail.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 19, 2016

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it ok to feel a bit of schadenfreude here? I'm feelin very schadenfreundery.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Gulen can't keep getting away with this.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

No, since they'll probably level a few more neighborhoods in Syria in retaliation.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Holy poo poo. How'd that happen? I mean, wouldn't they have to be vetted by both Turkish and Russian officials to get that post or do they just pick people off the street to do diplomatic detail?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OddObserver posted:

No, since they'll probably level a few more neighborhoods in Syria in retaliation.

i'm sure the people in those neighborhoods are feeling very schadenfreudey at the moment

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Holy poo poo. How'd that happen? I mean, wouldn't they have to be vetted by both Turkish and Russian officials to get that post or do they just pick people off the street to do diplomatic detail?

The Süddeutsche (German news) claims it was some guy of the street who somehow just walked in pretending to be part of the security detail, so yes and no?

Edit:

Apparently he was part of the police in Ankara, so at least not totally a random guy.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 19, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

After hearing that Karlov had started his career as the Soviet ambassador to North Korea I couldn't help feeling a bit of pleasure, as he must have witnessed and supported things that would make Kissinger blush. Then again who knows how bad he was.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Libluini posted:

The Süddeutsche (German news) claims it was some guy of the street who somehow just walked in pretending to be part of the security detail, so yes and no?

he was a cop.

https://twitter.com/TurkeyUntold/status/810901134541930496

that doesn't rule out that german report but it does make it a lot less likely

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Volkerball posted:

he was a cop.

https://twitter.com/TurkeyUntold/status/810901134541930496

that doesn't rule out that german report but it does make it a lot less likely

Looks like it's more likely the more information we're getting.

Reposting your own post from Mid-East thread...

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Young Freud posted:

Looks like it's more likely the more information we're getting.

Reposting your own post from Mid-East thread...

I agree, but at the same time, "Turkish security sources" are going to be doing damage control right now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
In actual EE news, there was some heavy fighting near Debaltseve, with separatists claiming to have repelled an attack on their position and vice versa. The government claims 5 KIA while the terrorists say they killed 20 so who the gently caress knows what's going on there, as usual.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-38366712

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

quote:

According to Russian TV, the ambassador had been attending an exhibition called "Russia as seen by Turks".

There's something ironic somewhere here but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
The article I mentioned got updated: Turkish media claim the assassin used a police ID to enter the presentation.

The apparently only one so far who claims he actually was part of the police was the major of Ankara, he twittered about this:

quote:

SALDIRGAN POLİS...
VE ALDIĞIM DUYUMLARA GÖRE FETOCU...
SALDIRGANIN SLOGANLARI SADECE ALGI YÖNETİMİ...

Since I don't know Turkish, I don't know what he is saying. Is he actually identifying the assassin as part of his police force? (Google translate just spit out garbage when I tried to transform moon speak into readable German.)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nenonen posted:

There's something ironic somewhere here but I can't quite put my finger on it...

There were artistic differences at stake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Libluini posted:

The article I mentioned got updated: Turkish media claim the assassin used a police ID to enter the presentation.

The apparently only one so far who claims he actually was part of the police was the major of Ankara, he twittered about this:

Since I don't know Turkish, I don't know what he is saying. Is he actually identifying the assassin as part of his police force? (Google translate just spit out garbage when I tried to transform moon speak into readable German.)

He's claiming the attacker was Gulenist