Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Manatee Cannon posted:

goten: "my dad is dead. it's not the first time but still"

Why would he even care enough to add "but still"? He knows Goku's soul is still alive on another plane of existence, keeps his body and is probably fine with living on King Kai's planet and training for however long it takes to revive him (should be 6 months, but could theoretically take longer even if spoilers say it will be a lot less). He also knows he's going to see him again, and that even if he couldn't for some reason that his Dad is still alive in every important sense of the word (self-aware, able to interact with his surroundings etc), just some place he can't talk to him until Goten himself dies. The pain of death is partly that no-one knows what happens to the person and partly that you'll never see them again even if you believe in an after life of some kind. I was going to say it's like getting anxious because a relative is going in for routine surgery, but even routine surgery carries some risk of failure. The Dragon Balls have a zero percent risk of failure. Goku might as well be gone on a holiday as far as anyone he knows is concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Zeno is planning on destroying the majority of the multiverse with this tournament, basically making him the penultimate DB villain. So, you think Goku will fight Zeno by the end of the arc? I don't think they would just let him destroy so many people without trying to stop him. Maybe everyone will team up against him like the DC universe against the Anti-Monitor, or Marvel vs Thanos?

Pretty please let them fight Zeno!

What the gently caress are you even doing there Aquaman, worst hero ever

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Aquaman is Krillin. The actual worst hero, Hawkman, is basically Meme Yamcha if nobody wanted to wish him back but he kept coming back anyway.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah of all the fuckers to take issue with, Aquaman is not one. He's at least got super swimming powers, and the ability to talk to fish, ontop of the powers everyone else has.

You know what Hawkman's claim to fame is?

Flying.

Not under his own power either, due to poo poo he has to put on. He's basically the Rocketeer only no where NEAR as cool. In a universe where literally everyone including and especially Batman can fly, Hawkman is the supreme loser of whom no one gives a poo poo about. The only reason we tolerate Hawkman is because Hawkgirl actually has some balls and is awesome.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Hawkman also has a weird niche as the "conservative hero" to Green Arrow's "liberal hero", which makes them stand out a bit in comparison to everybody else's "for god's sake don't let our IP endorse anything remotely specific."

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

tsob posted:

Why would he even care enough to add "but still"? He knows Goku's soul is still alive on another plane of existence, keeps his body and is probably fine with living on King Kai's planet and training for however long it takes to revive him (should be 6 months, but could theoretically take longer even if spoilers say it will be a lot less). He also knows he's going to see him again, and that even if he couldn't for some reason that his Dad is still alive in every important sense of the word (self-aware, able to interact with his surroundings etc), just some place he can't talk to him until Goten himself dies. The pain of death is partly that no-one knows what happens to the person and partly that you'll never see them again even if you believe in an after life of some kind. I was going to say it's like getting anxious because a relative is going in for routine surgery, but even routine surgery carries some risk of failure. The Dragon Balls have a zero percent risk of failure. Goku might as well be gone on a holiday as far as anyone he knows is concerned.

I mean, his dad still got bodied in one shot. That's pretty shocking. Hit is hella strong.
Loved the scenes with Blade Runner-type city.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Why are Gohan and Goten shocked that someone is after their dad's life? Everyone from Taopaipai to the Freeza Forces would love to take out Goku is they had the chance. Hell, some old guy specifically built anti-Goku robots just to kill him. People wanting Goku dead is nothing new.

Liked the callback to Dragonball with Bulma crashing into Goku carrying a fish home.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I just love that Actual loving Time Travel is Hit's kid gloves move

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I find it amusing that Goku expected Hit to do a standard shonen fight with him when he was on the job, and instead what we got was just him being murdered while utterly helpless to defend himself.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Eopia posted:

I find it amusing that Goku expected Hit to do a standard shonen fight with him when he was on the job, and instead what we got was just him being murdered while utterly helpless to defend himself.

Dude's a professional.

Cease to Hope posted:

The skyline, the elevator, the neon-lit translucent umbrellas, and the haze are all Blade Runner, too.

I love how they got more world building with the news broadcast of how Frost is now a wanted fugitive and that Cabba is going to testify against him in universe 6 space court.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tsob posted:

lol

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Liked the callback to Dragonball with Bulma crashing into Goku carrying a fish home.

Oh my god!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Super has had like a million references to the fact that Dragonball existed. Maybe it's just because I saw it first, but did Z do that mch? I don't think Puar or Oolong transformed for the entirety of Z for instance, and I had no idea the Wolf Fang Fist was a thing at all.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Why would someone care that their dad was dead

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if even Chichi would be upset at this point

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Chichi is secretly pregnant with Goeleven, she's fine.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Hell, some old guy specifically built anti-Goku robots just to kill him.

I love the fact that Gero looked at Saiyan saga Goku, noted that he needs to build something stronger than that, taking into account any previous sudden power ups, and then proceeds to build half a dozen robots that are stronger than the galaxy emperor in 4 years.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Namtab posted:

Fair. But imagine if your dad was Goku.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Namtab posted:

If you remove the actual awful aspects of death, like uncertainty about the person's fate and certainty that you'll never see them again and instead replace it with the definite knowledge they're just relaxing with other friends, have literally done it twice before and always come back stronger - then yea, why would he care? Sarcastically questioning it (assuming that was what you were doing) doesn't actually answer the question.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

mmkay posted:

I love the fact that Gero looked at Saiyan saga Goku, noted that he needs to build something stronger than that, taking into account any previous sudden power ups, and then proceeds to build half a dozen robots that are stronger than the galaxy emperor in 4 years.

He just wanted to make super duper duper sure they could do it, alright?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It's sorta hosed up to have an assassin show up to murder your dad, even if it's a failure. Makes sense for people to be pretty sad over a pseudo-success I think.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

tsob posted:

If you remove the actual awful aspects of death, like uncertainty about the person's fate and certainty that you'll never see them again and instead replace it with the definite knowledge they're just relaxing with other friends, have literally done it twice before and always come back stronger - then yea, why would he care? Sarcastically questioning it (assuming that was what you were doing) doesn't actually answer the question.

lol

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

for real though i am sure they'll make a joke about just wishing Goku back in the first three minutes of the next episodes but maybe walking in on his dad dropping dead might be a wee bit emotional for the nine-year-old and therefore he doesn't act 100% turbo-rational about it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also, this is Goten's first time seeing Goku get iced. Hearing about it is one thing, actually seeing it is another.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Eopia posted:

this was what made the episode gold for me.

Goku has no mode but 'shonen hero', and he can't imagine that maybe the dude who's been constantly called the greatest killer in the entire multiverse isn't gonna show up and shout "SON GOKU NOW WE MUST FIGHT FOR HONOR" when there's a contract on him. It's like the anime version of that Indiana Jones scene with the sword dude.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

this was what made the episode gold for me.

Goku has no mode but 'shonen hero', and he can't imagine that maybe the dude who's been constantly called the greatest killer in the entire multiverse isn't gonna show up and shout "SON GOKU NOW WE MUST FIGHT FOR HONOR" when there's a contract on him. It's like the anime version of that Indiana Jones scene with the sword dude.

The thing is Hit DID his version of a shonen fight. He gave Goku an out, and then asked him to face him before they fought, even though he could've iced Goku without a word.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I'd like to see a Vegita/Hit fight. Same outcome probably, but it would be neat to see.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

OB_Juan posted:

I'd like to see a Vegita/Hit fight. Same outcome probably, but it would be neat to see.
Vegeta and Hit have already fought.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Momomo posted:

Super has had like a million references to the fact that Dragonball existed. Maybe it's just because I saw it first, but did Z do that mch? I don't think Puar or Oolong transformed for the entirety of Z for instance, and I had no idea the Wolf Fang Fist was a thing at all.

stuff from dragon ball was used (wolf fang fist isn't any more of a callback than the kamehameha), but I don't think toriyama did anything that was specifically "HEY REMEMBER THAT TIME IN DRAGON BALL WHEN" in dbz

probably because of the tonal shift and the fact that it wasn't meant to be a different thing; it was all just dragon ball

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

tsob posted:

Well...

a cartoon duck posted:

for real though i am sure they'll make a joke about just wishing Goku back in the first three minutes of the next episodes but maybe walking in on his dad dropping dead might be a wee bit emotional for the nine-year-old and therefore he doesn't act 100% turbo-rational about it

Funky Valentine posted:

Also, this is Goten's first time seeing Goku get iced. Hearing about it is one thing, actually seeing it is another.
Yeah these. Even though it's a world with less consequences to death, his dad still loving died

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hate the neurotypicals who want to watch cartoons in languages they understand, and who are sad when their parents are killed

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Namtab posted:

Yeah these. Even though it's a world with less consequences to death, his dad still loving died

I mean, poo poo, they went to Namek specifically to get their cheat death button back and Goku still flipped the gently caress out when Krillin died for a second time.

snickothemule
Jul 11, 2016

wretched single ply might as well use my socks

Funky Valentine posted:

I mean, poo poo, they went to Namek specifically to get their cheat death button back and Goku still flipped the gently caress out when Krillin died for a second time.

Even with Goku believing Bongo couldn't be revived a second time, its still completely fair for anyone to be upset if someone was just merced out of nowhere.

snickothemule fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Dec 19, 2016

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

snickothemule posted:

Even with Goku believing Bongo couldn't be revived a second time, its still completely fair for anyone to be upset if someone was just merced out of nowhere.

Are you talking about Krillin?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Bee posted:

Are you talking about Krillin?

yea like he said, bongo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Namtab posted:

Why would a boy who grew up in isolation and who every time he experienced death had it reversed with no consequences fear death? Fear of death isn't instinctual, it's a socially learned reaction, mostly learned through the grief death of those around you causes but partly learned from the greater society, like media. Goten wouldn't have any of that, because every time death entered his life it was reversed and he isn't subject to society for most of his life, living in relative isolation with Chi Chi.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

goku was dead for like the first 8 years of goten's life. he doesnt want his dad to go away again

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

tsob posted:

Why would a boy who grew up in isolation and who every time he experienced death had it reversed with no consequences fear death? Fear of death isn't instinctual, it's a socially learned reaction, mostly learned through the grief death of those around you causes but partly learned from the greater society, like media. Goten wouldn't have any of that, because every time death entered his life it was reversed and he isn't subject to society for most of his life, living in relative isolation with Chi Chi.

lol

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea like he said, bongo

Seeing Thousand Hands die like that was traumatizing enough to make Goku go Super Saiyan, so clearly death still has weight even when you can revive people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

tsob posted:

do you stand outside funerals shrieking at the normies. Is that what you do all day long from dawn until dusk

• Locked thread