Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Thread I have a confession to make.

I have not played Tropical Freeze, nor any NSMB game.

If you've played one NSMB game you've played all of them, but both of the DKCR games are very well-polished and worth playing even if you've never been to Kong Country before. As someone who really likes 2-D platformers, I would say they come pretty close to being the platonic ideal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Super Mario 3D World is absolutely the best Mario game ever made. I want a sequel so bad.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they should give mario a keyblade

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Super No Vacancy posted:

Would you settle for a Musou crossover?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Little Mac posted:

Super Mario 3D World is absolutely the best Mario game ever made. I want a sequel so bad.

Totally agreed, but if the Switch Mario is headed back in more of a Mario 64 direction I am very cool with that too.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cicadas! posted:

If you've played one NSMB game you've played all of them, but both of the DKCR games are very well-polished and worth playing even if you've never been to Kong Country before. As someone who really likes 2-D platformers, I would say they come pretty close to being the platonic ideal.

Yea, they have absolutely fantastic level design, and the visuals and music are a nice bonus. If you have any interest in 2-D platformers you're doing yourself a disservice by not playing them. The only real knock I have against them is that a lot of the enemies in the first game have this generic DreamWorks animal kind of design.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Little Mac posted:

It managed to supplant World for me as Best, and I've loved SMW since I was a child.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I think the problem people have with the NSMB series is that prior to it, every Mario game looked different even within the same generation. Mario 2 USA was nothing like Mario 1, and 3 changed the formula up again. World and Yoshi's Island use a completely different style, and even ignoring the huge graphical upgrade, Mario Sunshine was a big change of pace stylistically from 64.

The only thing distinctive about the NSMB games visually is the pretty backgrounds in NSMBU.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Super No Vacancy posted:

ive been saying this for years

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Chaltab posted:

I think the problem people have with the NSMB series is that prior to it, every Mario game looked different even within the same generation. Mario 2 USA was nothing like Mario 1, and 3 changed the formula up again. World and Yoshi's Island use a completely different style, and even ignoring the huge graphical upgrade, Mario Sunshine was a big change of pace stylistically from 64.

The only thing distinctive about the NSMB games visually is the pretty backgrounds in NSMBU.

Yeah this is my only problem with the NSMB line of Mario games. While some parts of them get updated, they feel cookie-cutter as far as graphics go at this point. They're also really bad about their world themes being basically the same between all three games. Grass > Desert > Ice > Beach > Forest > Cliff> Clouds> Fire for all of them basically. The NSMB series is good, but extremely safe. More safe than any other Nintendo franchise I can think of off the top of my head.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm fine with nsmb being safe as long as it continues to be good and 3d marios are still made

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

oddium posted:

tropical freeze is the best wii u game i think. personally

best platformer for sure

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bef posted:

best platformer for sure

I dunno, Rayman Legends is pretty drat good.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I hope nintendo learns it is ok to make more sequels to things without having to drastically change up the formula

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They do know that, they just apply it to the wrong games.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Cicadas! posted:

Dynasty Mariors? Dynasty Warios, clearly.

Aithon fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Dec 18, 2016

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

They do know that, they just apply it to the wrong games.

Hence "more"

They do it with smash bros, looks like they'll be doing it with splatoon, but when I read interviews with them going "well we can't just make a sequel to ____ without shaking it up" it's like "c'mon really"

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I just want a new Mario that feels like a step up from Galaxy. The series felt like a logical progression up to that point and then it regressed.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I dont think ive ever seen mario wield a weapon before except maybe a boomerang or a hammer

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He kicks a mean shell

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

a.lo posted:

I dont think ive ever seen mario wield a weapon before except maybe a boomerang or a hammer

You've never played Smash Bros?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I ain't talking about those

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
He had a gun in Yoshi's Safari.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mario's supposed to be workmanlike and not flamboyant or cool so Miyamoto doesn't let people give him swords or whatever, just tools like hammers.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And waterguns

But mostly Mario's just straight up a brawler

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

a.lo posted:

I ain't talking about those

Based on your phrasing you were. :colbert:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

Would you Britons believe me if I told you NSMBU actually has entirely new assets? It's true. Compare two screenshots, the elements are completely different. It's the same graphical style but everything is new.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

greatn posted:

Would you Britons believe me if I told you NSMBU actually has entirely new assets? It's true. Compare two screenshots, the elements are completely different. It's the same graphical style but everything is new.

The post you quoted is talking about re-using style, not re-using assets.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

greatn posted:

"Extremely Simular but Technically Distinct Super Mario Brothers" didn't test as well with target audiences.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Cicadas! posted:

Do not pursue Big Boo

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
If you haven't tried it, Newer Super Mario, which is a Wii homebrew, is a fantastic 2D Mario game and not only because they brought back the Hammer Suit. I personally couldn't get it to run on my Wii U, but I did on the Wii and it's fantastic. It took a (relatively) mediocre 2d Mario game in New Super Mario Wii and refined it beautifully. I haven't played any of the spin-off adventures, mind you.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Mario's supposed to be workmanlike and not flamboyant or cool so Miyamoto doesn't let people give him swords or whatever, just tools like hammers.

Give me Mario slaughtering hordes of enemies with just a plunger. :colbert:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ZZT the Fifth posted:

Give me Mario slaughtering hordes of enemies with just a plunger. :colbert:

maybe in the rabbids crossover

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It managed to supplant World for me as Best, and I've loved SMW since I was a child.

Same.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

JustJeff88 posted:

If you haven't tried it, Newer Super Mario, which is a Wii homebrew, is a fantastic 2D Mario game and not only because they brought back the Hammer Suit. I personally couldn't get it to run on my Wii U, but I did on the Wii and it's fantastic. It took a (relatively) mediocre 2d Mario game in New Super Mario Wii and refined it beautifully. I haven't played any of the spin-off adventures, mind you.

The Wii u version of nsmb is way better than the wii one. It's not a lot of changes of course, as that is the big negative to the series, but the refined level design is pretty solid. Makes a very decent game. The dlc (which is also a standalone game) with just luigi is like a hard mode version, with shorter but harder levels. Not too sure how that one gets as I've not spent too much time on it though.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

By that I mean they could put the same game on mobile and it'd be fine because people have come to accept that you simply can't do a lot with an action game on a phone, but if they do another console followup it has to be deeper because the actions are incredibly basic and the puzzles are 99% "turn the camera" and they've done absolutely everything they can within those parameters.

Just FYI there's a game almost exactly like Captain Toad on mobile.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.martinmagni.mekorama

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.
Super Mario 3D World will come to Switch at some point right? I really don't want to buy a lovely Wii U to play it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Kawabata posted:

Super Mario 3D World will come to Switch at some point right? I really don't want to buy a lovely Wii U to play it.

gently caress off.

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

elf help book posted:

gently caress off.

it's a great mario game on an aborted fetus of a console, i obviously want to play that

mario kart 8 will be released for switch so why not 3d world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I went back to 2013 to confirm if I was remembering right about people hating 3D World when it was first announced, to the point some were convincing themselves all it was going to be was a slightly upscaled version of 3D Land.

• Locked thread