Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Can you even buy a Snickers on WIC? I thought it had super strict rules about what you can purchase, like you can buy 2% milk, but not skim.

I wish your mom could do an A/T, that sounds like an interesting (albeit horribly depressing) job.

As it is done in my state, no you cannot buy a snickers. Sometimes people needed help with food that was unfamiliar (peanut butter, canned tuna) or easy to mix up (a quart of milk and a quart of cream were almost the same color carton at my store) but you can't buy things that aren't spelled out on the check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I looked up the WIC program for NY and it seems pretty reasonable, is available in multiple languages, and even has a pictorial guide to approved foods available:

http://www.health.ny.gov/publications/4099/

Much better than I would have expected, and pretty detailed. For example, here are the yogurt guidelines:

"Exactly 32-ounce container OR any combination of sizes that adds up to exactly 32 ounces.

Any brand: Plain, Plain Greek, Organic Plain, Organic Plain Greek

KOSHER YOGURT if printed on your WIC check

NOT ALLOWED: Flavored (such as vanilla, fruit), mix-in ingredients, drinkable/squeezable yogurt, frozen yogurt"

...what's non-kosher yogurt?

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

...what's non-kosher yogurt?

A lot of yogurts you can buy in the American grocery store have gelatin in them. That makes them non-kosher.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

InediblePenguin posted:

A lot of yogurts you can buy in the American grocery store have gelatin in them. That makes them non-kosher.

Oh, I had no idea! Thanks for the info.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I think it's mostly the low-fat ones (you can't get yogurt below 130 calories per serving on its own, so it gets bulked out with gelatin to get it down to 100 calories per serving) and the ones with fruit in them (so the fruit will suspend better), which are already explicitly disallowed by NYS WIC anyway, but :shrug: It's something to be aware of if a person's keeping kosher, anyway.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So now we have a small pastry tag

god bless this insane mess of threads

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

what the actual loving gently caress

I have insomnia, it is 5:40 AM, I am 90% hoping that I didn't just see anything that loving stupid

and 10% contributing to the thread, as I have put UHT (...right?) milk in my coffee and it is bad

its ok, its just a jar of dried food.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So now we have a small pastry tag

god bless this insane mess of threads

Courtesy of Phthisis :patriot:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Holy poo poo I love it so much. The small pastry saga is one of only a couple things I've seen on these forums that I tell people about in real life.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to have multiple tags?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

what the actual loving gently caress

I have insomnia, it is 5:40 AM, I am 90% hoping that I didn't just see anything that loving stupid

and 10% contributing to the thread, as I have put UHT (...right?) milk in my coffee and it is bad

UHT is what you buy to make sure you never run out of actual milk and thus would be in danger of having to use it.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Sakurazuka posted:

UHT is what you buy to make sure you never run out of actual milk and thus would be in danger of having to use it.

As a kid and part of a 4 person household, my mom did a weekly grocery shopping, and 6-8 liters of UHT milk from Aldi was the standard. Shelf-stable milk isn't terrible, but I did learn to appreciate fresh milk later.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

mng posted:

As a kid and part of a 4 person household, my mom did a weekly grocery shopping, and 6-8 liters of UHT milk from Aldi was the standard. Shelf-stable milk isn't terrible, but I did learn to appreciate fresh milk later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBwwcU2c3u4

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

That is EXACTLY what happened.

In high school, I went to visit my best friend when he was living in France and he gave me a whole glass of the stuff as a joke. Little fucker. :mad:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sakurazuka posted:

We live in China, there is only UHT milk.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that's not the kind of gray color I'm looking for in my food

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sakurazuka posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhjGXCk-RVU

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Grand Fromage posted:

There's the normal kind, it's probably just highly contaminated. With lead and death and fire and Communism. or something.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Same in Japan. It doesn't even taste that different imo, maybe the stuff in the states is just poo poo?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

bike tory posted:

Same in Japan. It doesn't even taste that different imo, maybe the stuff in the states is just poo poo?

It's a matter of personal taste. Some people can't tell the difference, some people can. Some people can tell the difference but don't care about it. I'll put UHT in tea, but not on breakfast cereal.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

I dunno about UHT but I did recently try some lactose-free milk. Claimed to be fat free, tasted... pretty much like 2%? Ish? But it had the thickness of whole milk. Disconcerting but not overtly terrible, i award 2.5 louis pasteurs out of 5.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I tried UHT milk for the first time and I was confused about how plain it was. I expected it to taste like it was burnt milk?? Powdered milk is what sucks imo

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

It tastes "wrong" to me, I can't really explain it. It's not the right texture, or it's too sweet, maybe? I don't know. It really hosed my coffee. I've been awake for 31 hours now, though, so my memory might be failing me.

e: Is it only North Americans that grow up drinking big glasses of milk? One of the charming aspects of my obvious foodie upbringing was not having potable water in our house and drinking milk almost exclusively, since buying bottled water is so wasteful.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I still like drinking milk, and every once in a while some goon claims it's only appropriate for children and I laugh at his idiocy

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sorry but milk by itself is gross and should only be consumed either as an ingredient or as a base for a drink.

Unrelated, a soy latte, while also an abomination, is hot bean water in hot bean water.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

nah, milk's p. good. a top five beverage, easy.

HookedOnChthonics has a new favorite as of 11:42 on Dec 19, 2016

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

Unrelated, a soy latte, while also an abomination, is hot bean water in hot bean water.

This unironically blew my mind.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Is it only North Americans that grow up drinking big glasses of milk?
I think so.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Yeah, milk and peanut butter are basically like the karmic reward we get for enduring the blights of HFCS and bland mayonnaise

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Megabound posted:

Sorry but milk by itself is gross and should only be consumed either as an ingredient or as a base for a drink.

Basically a really thin two-bean soup.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

It tastes "wrong" to me, I can't really explain it. It's not the right texture, or it's too sweet, maybe? I don't know. It really hosed my coffee. I've been awake for 31 hours now, though, so my memory might be failing me.

e: Is it only North Americans that grow up drinking big glasses of milk? One of the charming aspects of my obvious foodie upbringing was not having potable water in our house and drinking milk almost exclusively, since buying bottled water is so wasteful.

Where'd you live in North America that the water wasn't drinkable from the tap?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Pretty sure Scandinavians drink a shitload of milk, too.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Pirate Radar posted:

Aside from recent disasters like in Flint, MI, a lot of places in the US have technically potable but lovely-tasting water. Florida, for example, has downright undrinkable water out of the tap. It may even be hazardous to drink FL water in some places.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Pirate Radar posted:

There's a fair number of places where it's not potable without filtering at the very least, particularly out in the sticks. I know when I lived in Florida I had to filter it, twice, because it had so much rust in it that even in town (such as it was), businesses' sprinklers tended to permanently stain sidewalks red.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Tumblr of scotch posted:

There's a fair number of places where it's not potable without filtering at the very least, particularly out in the sticks. I know when I lived in Florida I had to filter it, twice, because it had so much rust in it that even in town (such as it was), businesses' sprinklers tended to permanently stain sidewalks red.

Yeah. I live in Maine, i.e. not giant-rear end swamp, so my tap water is great. But I recently took a trip to Florida and the locals told us "don't drink the water." When one of the folks I was travelling with said, "It's ok. I don't mind weird tasting water," one of the local folks clarified, "No. Don't drink the water. It'll make you sick."

:patriot:

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

What the hell, America?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I don't know exactly, as I was really young when we lived in that house, but my guess is that the soil was high in lead? We got our water from an artesian well. I think. Again, I don't really remember; it might have also just been something my mom was paranoid about, or maybe we had old plumbing and she was afraid of lead contamination from there? All I know was that I was not allowed to drink from the tap.

The tapwater in my hometown is really hard and smells of sulfur, anyways.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Davoren posted:

What the hell, America?

NO. WATER. RULES.

https://twitter.com/scrowder/status/694550461366538240

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

bike tory posted:

That's interesting; I've never seen milk on the shelf in Japan, only refrigerated (which is not necessary, but apparently it's often sold in the fridge section in the States because we get hinky about unrefrigerated milk). In fact, I've often seen actual milk bottles, like milkmen bring, both in the refrigerated aisle and in adorable milk vending machines.

Here's a list of countries that are most into UHT:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-high-temperature_processing#Worldwide_use

That being said, though, Mexico isn't on that list, and I've seen shelves upon shelves of UHT milk in supermarkets there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?