Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
How to pronounce "ephebophile"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB9fwJDweaU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Is there some kind of proven logic that someone that splits hairs like that is guaranteed to be a pedophile? I mean I'm sure a cop encounters plenty of them at work.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sheeee was only sixteen, only sixteen
And I loved her so-ooo
But she was too young, to fall in love
And I was too goony to know

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Solice Kirsk posted:

The gently caress is ephebophilia? I'm at work so googling it is out of the question.

Ever heard there phrase "old enough to bleed, old enough to breed"?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Yeah, it's typically used by people who want to distinguish themselves from ""actual"" pedophiles by specifying an age range that doesn't include literal prepubescent children, as if that makes it better somehow. It's also used almost exclusively by people who are attracted to young girls -- I've never seen it used to define someone attracted to boys. The only reason I say that is because the word "ephebophile" and the phrase "if there's grass on the field..." or "if it bleeds..." almost always appear within a paragraph or each other. "No no no my attraction to 8th graders is okay because :biotruths:"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Heath posted:

I've never seen it used to define someone attracted to boys.

You don't read enough ancient Greek philosophy, then.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Panfilo posted:

Is there some kind of proven logic that someone that splits hairs like that is guaranteed to be a pedophile? I mean I'm sure a cop encounters plenty of them at work.

I don't think hair is something pedophiles tend to interact with

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

steinrokkan posted:

You don't read enough ancient Greek philosophy, then.

I think they just call that pederasty.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Wait I'm confused. I may be recalling different threads, but didn't that old police officer goon have a story where he and his officer buddies beat the absolute poo poo out of a child molester? It seems really weird he'd suddenly become one of those "UH ACTUALLY IT'S CALLED" weirdos.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Tokaiis account is no longer banned, but they haven't posted since 2014. Last entry on the rap sheet was a banme.

The paedo post is here

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

^^^ I'm irritated he's unbanned, but completely unsurprised. :eyeroll:

It's not weird when there are people who genuinely believe there's a difference between attraction to a child and attraction to a teenager. In their mind the former offender deserves the beating, but the latter offender is completely innocent because a teen can "consent." See Heath's post a few up from mine as well.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I remembered that but I forgot it was all about a loving mmo that was complete trash, too. And some 72 year old goon played it, lol.

He's probably dead now.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
On the one hand if he is in fact 72 (or however old he would be in 2016, but old as gently caress) I'm almost willing to give it a pass because it was not uncommon for people to marry younger in the 40s and 50s and that's the environment he grew up in, but on the other hand the fact that he whips out the sort of modern justification that Reddit jailbait weirdos use sets off alarms.

Edit: give it a pass in the sense that you just kind of handwave grandma's casual racism and don't bother arguing it with her because nothing is going to change her mind, not condoning his defense.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Nah the context was pretty much "it's cool to be an adult and gently caress 14 year olds"

He was a good storyteller, but also kindof racist and sexist so whatever, not very surprising that he thinks theres a scale of acceptability for childfucking.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Heath posted:

On the one hand if he is in fact 72 (or however old he would be in 2016, but old as gently caress) I'm almost willing to give it a pass because it was not uncommon for people to marry younger in the 40s and 50s and that's the environment he grew up in, but on the other hand the fact that he whips out the sort of modern justification that Reddit jailbait weirdos use sets off alarms.
Marrying younger, which was not uncommon and a relative term, is a completely different thing to marrying a 14 year old child when you're a 20+ adult.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Grem posted:

I remembered that but I forgot it was all about a loving mmo that was complete trash, too. And some 72 year old goon played it, lol.
he was defending a goon clan member for dating a 15yo, but it was using 'ephebeophile' as a defense that got him banned. and imho "that was ok back in my day" is not an excuse for anything, its called growing up and we're never finished doing it

Panfilo posted:

Yeah by the time your argument is down to "not loving the youngest children, just the ones going through puberty (and which is not a crime in 17 countries, I checked)" you have lost the argument and are simply self-incriminating.

for some reason kinda reminds me of

tranime scholar posted:

if you're ever having to defend your side by saying 'no, you see, it's not *really* a concentration camp..', you're probably rooting for the wrong side
which I used to think I'd never have to say IRL

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
There's probably some useful distinction to be made between people who want to gently caress toddlers versus high-schoolers, but they're all under the "scum" umbrella. Scumbrella.

Anyway, when someone says, "what a pedo--" then that's not the time to get into semantics. Everyone knows the loving point, they gently caress kids and that's evil and a crime.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the UK, one of the newspapers (most likely the Daily Sport) had a running countdown to Lindsey Dawn MacKenzie's 16th birthday so they could legally run topless photos of her. It was so skeezy it had to have been a good reason why someone eventually said 'wait, you can legally sexually exploit children in this way?' and the limit got bumped to 18. This was in the 90s.

Grown adults can still legally bang 16 year olds, but I'd like to think all but the worst social circles would call out anyone who actually does this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Powaqoatse posted:

He was a good storyteller, but also kindof racist and sexist so whatever....

You've just described every Chicago cop.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pick posted:

There's probably some useful distinction to be made between people who want to gently caress toddlers versus high-schoolers, but they're all under the "scum" umbrella. Scumbrella.

Anyway, when someone says, "what a pedo--" then that's not the time to get into semantics. Everyone knows the loving point, they gently caress kids and that's evil and a crime.

Yeah I think tokaii was just being pedantic/dumb but context is important and anime MMO e - pedophilia is a bad hill to die on

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah I think tokaii was just being pedantic/dumb but context is important and anime MMO e - pedophilia is a bad hill to die on

Yeah, this.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

So this is kinda interesting, I'm always adding things to my YouTube watch later list from my subscriptions, recommendations etc and I just got around to watching this. I thought it was going to be a compilation of old Gorgeous George Sux vids and fancied a trip down memory lane, but turns out it's a short documentary about him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nf97-sVZCiE

I kind of wish I knew nothing about George, because the juxtaposition about him talking about how amazing his work and talent are next to clips of his show would be mind blowing. It works well as a documentary, as I bet George saw final cut and thinks it's fantastic while everyone else can watch it and wonder what planet the guy is on. Just letting him sit there and talk is the best course of action with this guy, as you don't even need to provoke him.

I found it quite funny that he brought up Danny McBride stealing his look, because I always kinda hoped George would lose it on a scale where they'd make a movie about him, as McBride could nail it perfect without even trying.

I also like that Kevin got a genuinely good joke in towards the end, while George just waffles on and talks over him. "I've been waiting for overnight success for over 20 years now". Could well be a stolen line, but it works perfectly where it is.

It was fairly apparent that it's obviously an anti-George piece but I had to laugh when the directors name came up - Brandon Hardesty. So it's probably been posted here before, as Brandon is the goon who used to do funny videos and played the live action Cartman on that South Park episode. One of the things he was famous for here? An impression of George in a 'day in the life of' video. Wonder if George even realizes that.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Holy poo poo, is that real? That's insane, they're insane, it's all a waste of time.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It is indeed. I traced back how it appeared in my recommended lists and it seems the other guy involved makes lots of short, indie wrestling documentaries and I'd watched a few.

It's actually a decently made thing, and if there was more of a story to George than 'local cable access man is completely unaware of how unimportant he is', it could've scaled to something like American Movie. I'm glad they kept it to about 25 minutes though, it made it an enjoyable watch rather than a drag.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, I mean, it's well done. The guy isn't even aware of how much he needs his lovely partner. It's like Pen without Teller. But 1/100000th as important.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah gotcha. Yeah he's such a blowhard. I remember back that Kevin always had some sympathy on here, and George just doesn't understand why he attracts all the hate and trolling and Kevin doesn't.

Kevin's just a weird dude along for the ride with his impressions that are so out of date I can't even comprehend why he does them. It's like he fixtated on an era of talk show television and never realized the world moved on.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
Thank you for this video!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Tokaii has an article in SAclopedia. His goldmined thread about being a cop is linked there. My guess is that the most likely explanation for his "hebephile" post is that he's an old man who learned the word decades ago and was out of date/clueless about the gross corners of the Internet that many goons consider common knowledge. It's also very likely that he didn't understand the entire situation, because I don't think someone who was a cop and schoolteacher would defend the person he did if he knew the whole story. And the fact is that Tokaii's "pedo-defender" post is only a minor footnote in a way grosser and awful story.

The story began for me around the time of the North American launch of a Korean MMO called ArcheAge. Goons were excited about this game and a :goonrush: was in full effect for launch, including yours truly. The game had some neat ideas, and one that goons were interested in was that it had the same social policy of Eve Online where players are allowed to scam and steal from each other. It also had a player-driven economy, like Eve. These things meant (of course) that the game brought in many goons who had played Eve in the past. Goon guilds were made, and people were having fun playing the game. Then someone pointed out that a leader of the goon guild, BobFromMarketing had the same username as a sexual predator. Information was shared that someone named BobFromMarketing had been banned from Goonfleet years earlier, because he had met an underage girl in Eve Online and proceeded to groom and abuse her over a period of several years. It's very gross and the now-woman who suffered this abuse eventually posted online about it: :nms: woman telling story about childhood sexual abuse :nms:

This set off a gigantic shitstorm for the goons playing that stupid game, because some of the other leaders in the goon guilds made very tone-deaf statements and didn't respond by immediately kicking the guy out. I don't remember exactly, but I think at one point there was a second scandal; after he'd been officially kicked out of goon guilds, I think it was revealed that some goons were still in contact with this guy in-game, because he was an uber-nerd who was really good at the game, or he owned in-game land that was valuable for producing certain crops, or some other really dumb thing that was no justification for keeping in contact with him. The gas chamber thread linked in my first paragraph here, the one that goes to Tokaii's cringe-post, was one of the main SA threads for that game at the time, so if for some reason you want to read more about this (eww, yuck), you can follow that down the rabbit hole.

This also resulted in BobFromMarketing eating a permaban. I think there might have even part of this story where some Eve goons had tried to raise a fuss about him on SA that didn't go anywhere. I'm not sure on that one, though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

Also it seems a bit silly to kick someone for doing some hosed up poo poo years ago when literally everyday on mumble some ridiculously offensive bullshit is going on. *Insert obligatory not defending him statement here*. I mean you draw the line somewhere but the idea that somehow Goon Squad or SA is some bastion of moral purity that some of these posts look like is pretty :cripes:
:pwn:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I don't condone child rape, far from it, but this guy has some imaginary land that is really good for growing Ork Corn so... it's, it's tough man

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pick posted:

I don't condone child rape, far from it, but this guy has some connections in congress that are really good for my purposes so... it's, it's tough man

Goons in not actually that far removed from real life shocker

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

No no, the real life wording would be:

Pick posted:

I don't condone pepperoni, far from it, but this guy has some extra cheese that is really good for a stuffed crust so... it's, it's tough man

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
tokaii's stories are stdh jesus goons. Yes a retired undercover cop is gonna post about his life on a comedy forum and then play korean mmos with you.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

The Pope posted:

Yes a retired undercover cop is gonna post about his life on a comedy forum and then play korean mmos with you.

I've seen weirder confirmed poo poo happen on this old internet, my friend.

Haha as if a world famous musician is going to reach out to Lowtax on twitter to ask for his lost SA password to be reset and then become a moderator haha as if.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Who was that?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was that?

deadmau5

https://twitter.com/deadmau5/status/692471113310433280

His original avatar text was "Don't tell EMI I'm posting"

His short lived GBS thread - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761953&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post455526736

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Solice Kirsk posted:

Who was that?

Deadmau5

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

The Pope posted:

tokaii's stories are stdh jesus goons. Yes a retired undercover cop is gonna post about his life on a comedy forum and then play korean mmos with you.

Next you're gonna tell me you're not the pope!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone have a link to the thread where a guy found a book of completely awful horror stories and posted them? Then the author popped in and turned out to be a really cool dude who took the whole thing in stride.