Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Kos strikes again. http://www.somethingawful.com/news/democrats-new-pitch/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/AmberALeeFrost/status/810275364677283840

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in the middle of listening to the latest episode and Jacob Bacharach mentions "I Was a Teenage Nazi Wannabe" and I had already read it, but if you haven't it's really good.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Just started listening, only on episode 2. I love the way these guys talk about about Breitbart, the National Review, and tons of liberal thinkypieces, but the Twitter poo poo is lost on me. I have never heard of Hamilton.

What's a "milkman fallacy?"

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I have never heard of [i]Hamilton[i/].
How?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Just started listening, only on episode 2. I love the way these guys talk about about Breitbart, the National Review, and tons of liberal thinkypieces, but the Twitter poo poo is lost on me. I have never heard of Hamilton.

Hamilton is a really corny musical that liberal people fell over themselves about in the dumbest ways.

The twitter stuff becomes a running thread throughout, and you'll understand it by osmosis.

I think milkman fallacy is a cuck joke, making fun of "logic" arguments

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

That's just a mocking reference to the way, I think it's usually Cruz or Paul dorks they characterize like this, think they can upend someone's worldview by claiming you've committed a fallacy of formal logic.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Halloween Jack posted:

Felix makes up fake logic rules to make fun of people who think politics is like debate club.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ah, the classic Dutchman's Wheelbarrow fallacy, looks like you've proved my point.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan
Commentary on a recent Adam Curtis article is what first brought me to the attention of Chapo Trap House. (and in turn the Adam Curtis episode, #65, is the first Chapo thing I've heard.)

:swoon:

Glad to find there was a forum on them here and was happy to pledge their Patreon.

Annoyed I'm so late to the party. Though I'm finding listening to the political commentary content of most pre-election episodes to not be too irrelevant and still a worth while listen. (Though, anyone also just joining in, I recommend listening to the post election episodes first.)

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

How do you do fellow kids

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Halloween Jack posted:

Get a twitter you old geezer.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
There are people who haven't even heard of Hamilton​??

Beginning to understand why the ten voting commandments didn't swing it for Hillary

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

The only commandments I care about are the 10 Krackle Commandments

Also like 80 percent of the references on chapo are to twitter stuff. Start following the dry boys and the guests you like and see who they reply and retweet.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
What's worse, No Labels or this?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

Felix makes up fake logic rules to make fun of people who think politics is like debate club.

Fallacy fallacy is the best fallacy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The chapo take on the russian interference at the end of the adam curtis show is pretty bad.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phobophilia posted:

The chapo take on the russian interference at the end of the adam curtis show is pretty bad.

wrong it was good

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

The REAL Goobusters posted:

How do you do fellow kids
That's literally me.

Sandweed posted:

Get a twitter you old geezer.
I have a Twitter, but I'm amazed that anyone can stand to read Ross Douthat being ever so precious for a full minute, much less follow some back-and-forth between him and some other hack, and then discuss it long enough to develop inside jokes based on it, while also having time for less ridiculously wonky hobbies.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
New episode out.

So Felix is definitely a goon, right? The reference to OPEN PALM SLAM THE VHS TAPE from long ago.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Coheed and Camembert posted:

New episode out.

So Felix is definitely a goon, right? The reference to OPEN PALM SLAM THE VHS TAPE from long ago.

I feel like Felix at least, but possibly all three of the original dryboys, have been members of SA. There's a "Im permabanned poster niggerstomper58" reference in a previous ep too, don't know which one offhand

And like, Weird Left Twitter in general supposedly has a line of heritage to both FYAD and LF

As you probably know, OPEN PALM SLAM turned 10 like last week or something, so it was doing the rounds on Twitter.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 19, 2016

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

New episode out.

Eh, all of the FYAD memes and in-jokes leaked to weird twitter years ago when there was an exodus of FYAD posters. So it's definitely not a sure thing

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

New episode out.

That and all the other forums stuff they reference is all over weird left twitter. That post in particular was posted a bunch the other week because it was the 10th anniversary of the post.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

We better ask them if they have stairs in the park slope mansion

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Someone earlier in this thread said that only one chapo host had an SA forums account. Idk what that was based on though

Literally
Jul 2, 2009

On curiouscat.me Will said that he and Matt had never used the SA forums. He wasn't sure about Felix though.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
you can tell the chapo boys don't use SA because they're not garbage idiots

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

If Ed Zitron isn't a goon, I'd be shocked.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Literally posted:

On curiouscat.me Will said that he and Matt had never used the SA forums. He wasn't sure about Felix though.

I always figured Felix was the goon in the crew, of the original Chapo three he seems the most into weird/spectrum internet stuff.

Will is the fearless leader and host of the ever-popular Chapo Reading Series, Matt brings the serious Marxist commentary and certified Cushman Rants, Felix is the spectrum warrior of the crew and imo generally has the funniest quips.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Someone said that Chapo Adjacent person Sam Kriss used to post here, don't know the name tho.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

uber_stoat posted:

Someone said that Chapo Adjacent person Sam Kriss used to post here, don't know the name tho.

Red Ken, and then he rereged as Dead Ken

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
If they're not goons, they at least read this thread. Matt posted a screencap of a post from this thread and replied to it on twitter a while back. I think Felix also said that he reads SA.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Dispersal posted:

If Ed Zitron isn't a goon, I'd be shocked.

I'm p. sure Ed is a goon. Only a goon would have that much fondness for the Zybourne Clock.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Felix is totes a goon, he has mentioned that forums are a big part of his childhood.

And lol sam kriss is red ken god drat

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Edit: whoops was looking at old posts

MisterJed
May 9, 2004

Ed Zitron once asked on twitter if people still posted in GBS, and Mobute/Boniface/Jeb replied "why don't you go back there"

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
felix has read over a million forum posts

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
goons never forget their struggles

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/810707744927993857

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

The Narrator posted:

I feel like Felix at least, but possibly all three of the original dryboys, have been members of SA. There's a "Im permabanned poster niggerstomper58" reference in a previous ep too, don't know which one offhand

I forget which ep but he actually said "radiumstomper58" and in a different episode he mention somethingawful by name and said that one of his favorite posts ever was the guy sayings RPGs are better than sex.

Anyway I just listened to ep 37 with Brandon Wardell and it was pretty boring. It was sort of interesting though when they talked about how they were all technically millennials, but Will and Matt were 'elder statesmen millennials' and they don't actually use this term but I finally get what people mean when they talk about "digital natives" which seems like a good way to describe Brandon and Felix. I'm not really familiar with Brandon but judging from this episode it seems like all of his humor derives from the internet and he doesn't seem that clever. Felix on the other hand, is much better at translating internet humor to real life, and uh, code-switching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

This as they say, is me
https://twitter.com/AeTBench/status/803995993570181120
They had me at antifa hatchet man flag but goddamn did they have me at Juggalo Stalin