Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
alright im done with Miracles. I own all the peices for it finally so it's being retired for now. Im playing Jund today at the tourney for a mox.

the new question is... finish Lands or finish Shardless. They would both cost about the same.

caveat: im not buying a loving tabernacle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Lands.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

alright im done with Miracles. I own all the peices for it finally so it's being retired for now. Im playing Jund today at the tourney for a mox.

the new question is... finish Lands or finish Shardless. They would both cost about the same.

caveat: im not buying a loving tabernacle

Shardless. Budget lands isn't a deck worth finishing.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Sigma-X posted:

Shardless. Budget lands isn't a deck worth finishing.

it wouldnt be budget per se, just no tabernacle. The card isnt worth it to me for that kind of cash.

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Errant Gin Monks posted:

it wouldnt be budget per se, just no tabernacle. The card isnt worth it to me for that kind of cash.
No Tabernacle Lands is budget, that's about half the cost of the deck.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

standard.deviant posted:

No Tabernacle Lands is budget, that's about half the cost of the deck.

thats true but there is an actual budget like lands build going around with no ports and tireless trackers

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

finish neither and build 4c Aluren

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

finish neither and build 4c Aluren

Just play infect and goblins like noted cool guy, me.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Errant Gin Monks posted:

thats true but there is an actual budget like lands build going around with no ports and tireless trackers

I play lands, don't play this deck without tabernacle.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

Just play infect....like noted cool guy, me.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

It wouldn't be budget miracles per se, just no force of will.

It wouldn't be budget reanimator per se, just no reanimate.

It wouldn't be budget Shardless, just no tarmogoyf.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Someone name a deck shardlessless bug

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

I'm glad you're considering this

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

The March Hare posted:

I play lands, don't play this deck without tabernacle.

I have played lands for the past year with my buddies tabernacle. I'm okay dropping a few games and not spending 1k on a single cardboard.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No Ports is an international choice. Ghost Quarter is so much better against a lot of decks.

This is the only post on this page that I agree with.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I replaced my Courser with Oracle of Mul Daya. It's only one green and you get extra land drops. Sure, it's only a 2/2, but most of the time, I'm just looking to plow through lands. It was pretty decent last night, but I really need more testing with it. I really like the Urabrask in my maindeck. It offers me a beater and a lot of times, clears removal from their hand and lets the Primetime's run wild.

I went 2-1 drop (losing to Monogreen Tooth and Nail) because we wanted to go to the bar and get food and beer. I beat Martyr Proc and Lantern Control.

I never drew my one Urabrask and also boarded it out every match :shobon: Breaching out an Emrakul almost feels like cheating, I would definitely run multiple if I were you.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Do you guys play Punishing Fire or Molten Vortex? I feel like I rarely need Tabernacle. I either lock them up with Molten Vortex/Loam or I just win with the combo. I rarely find myself looking for Tabernacle.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah sure you can win matches without it but it's nutso against lots of delver decks and t1 empty the warrens

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

I never drew my one Urabrask and also boarded it out every match :shobon: Breaching out an Emrakul almost feels like cheating, I would definitely run multiple if I were you.

I'm cutting my Scapeshift for a second Emrakul. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with the deck. I just need 3 more Japanese Summoner's Pacts.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

EvilBeard posted:

I'm cutting my Scapeshift for a second Emrakul. Other than that, I'm fairly happy with the deck. I just need 3 more Japanese Summoner's Pacts.

I had a couple people ask me if I was running Scapeshift, and while I've not played with Scapeshift as a wincon I don't know if I like running both Scapeshift and Titan. I don't like how they both draw from the same well, needing Mountains and Valakuts in your library to work. Ironically, Emrakul is good with Scapeshift since if you can bin Emrakul you'll get back any Mountains that have been destroyed or milled!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Mezzanon posted:

Just play infect and goblins like noted cool guy, me.

Not going to lie all I need is the trops for infect and I am sorely tempted... but I would feel bad about myself for playing it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

EvilBeard posted:

Do you guys play Punishing Fire or Molten Vortex? I feel like I rarely need Tabernacle. I either lock them up with Molten Vortex/Loam or I just win with the combo. I rarely find myself looking for Tabernacle.

Tabernacle is like Karakas in that games it wins, no other card would. Additionally, it's a strong part of your mana denial plan, and puts a ton of pressure on the low mana creature strategies (delvers, elves, etc). It's nearly a wrath in some cases as well, when you can double waste into tabernacle and pass the turn.

The card is extremely good, and honestly pretty necessary to have an actual good build of lands. I'm not saying it "worth" the money (the card is expensive only because it's a RL card from Legends), but it's a critical part of the deck. I say this as a dude who has played probably over 1000 matches with Lands in its current iteration.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Skyl3lazer posted:

Tabernacle is like Karakas in that games it wins, no other card would. Additionally, it's a strong part of your mana denial plan, and puts a ton of pressure on the low mana creature strategies (delvers, elves, etc). It's nearly a wrath in some cases as well, when you can double waste into tabernacle and pass the turn.

The card is extremely good, and honestly pretty necessary to have an actual good build of lands. I'm not saying it "worth" the money (the card is expensive only because it's a RL card from Legends), but it's a critical part of the deck. I say this as a dude who has played probably over 1000 matches with Lands in its current iteration.

Yeah it's also pretty good against eldrazi. Not much better of a feeling on earth than being on the draw and having your opponent go: eye, 3 creatures, pass. Untap, draw, tabernacle, go.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

first attempt at sultai vial. super fun. probably wants tarmogoyfs.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Modern sideboarding question: I'm currently playing this list of UW Spirits:

//Lands
4 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Glacial Fortress
2 Hallowed Fountain
5 Island
2 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
2 Polluted Delta
3 Seachrome Coast

//Spells
2 Cryptic Command
4 Path to Exile
4 Remand
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Pierce

//Creatures
4 Drogskol Captain
1 Dungeon Geists
1 Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
1 Phantasmal Image
4 Rattlechains
4 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance
SB: 1 Detention Sphere
SB: 1 Dispel
SB: 2 Kor Firewalker
SB: 1 Negate
SB: 1 Rest in Peace
SB: 1 Spell Pierce
SB: 1 Spell Snare
SB: 1 Sunlance
SB: 2 Supreme Verdict
SB: 2 Timely Reinforcements

My sideboard is skewed pretty heavily towards the Burn matchup, as it's a bit of a rough game and pretty healthily represented at my local store. I have lots of solid cards to bring in, so mostly I'm looking for advice on what to take out to make room. My current thinking right now is to cut all the Remands, all the Serum Visions, the Dungeon Geists, and the Phantasmal Image. Remand just doesn't do enough against that are faster than me, and while Serum Visions is an alright card I really need every single mana to be doing something productive each turn. Dungeon Geists is too slow and Phantasmal Image is too high variance, especially since there aren't even any cool cards to steal on the other end.

The actual contents of the sideboard are subject to change; I'm still experimenting to see which cards pull the most weight and I'll probably end up trimming some of the Burn slots towards other matchups as I settle on my favorites and my local meta moves.

Mostly I'm just wondering if boarding out Serum Visions is crazy talk. My thinking is that the mana efficiency seems like a real concern and the card is mostly filler in the deck to begin with, but I'd like to hear outside opinions.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cut Remand, Dungeon Geists and Cryptic, don't play Serum Visions at all ever and especially not in that deck. I'd almost say to cut Kira but their best card against you is probably Searing Blaze so :shrug:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Modern sideboarding question: I'm currently playing this list of UW Spirits:

Visions seems fine. Spending mana on turn one is more mana-effecient than not spending it, plus it helps dig for your sideboard hate.

I'd go

+2 Blessed Alliance
+1 Dispel
+2 Firewalker
+2 Timely Reinforcements

Not sure about Spell Pierce, Negate, or Sunlance. Might need Sunlance just because you're light on removal and can't really function through an Eidolon.

I'd cut Geists, Kira, Cryptics, and Remands to start with.

Edit: Didn't consider Searing Blaze, so maybe Kira should stay.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

suicidesteve posted:

Cut Remand, Dungeon Geists and Cryptic, don't play Serum Visions at all ever and especially not in that deck. I'd almost say to cut Kira but their best card against you is probably Searing Blaze so :shrug:

Serum Visions sucks but it's the best proactive turn one you can put in this build of the deck after Mausoleum Wanderer so :smith: I don't mind taking it out against Burn because I'm looking to take a more controlling angle. Kira does work against Searing Blaze and offers some protection from Lavamancer so she's definitely there to stay.

Not sold on cutting Cryptic. The card is very strong and it's also an out to a resolved Eidolon.

Negate doesn't come in for burn since it's too slow. Sunlance comes in or stays depending on how zoo-ish their build was. Spell Snare comes in because it trades up on tempo and hits all the best cards in their deck.

Appreciate the replies.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Cut Cryptic.

Maybe leave one on the play but actually just cut Cryptic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If Burn's that bad for you board Worship. You don't deal that much damage to yourself, your creatures are tough to kill and they aren't boarding in Destructive Revelry against you.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

If Burn's that bad for you board Worship. You don't deal that much damage to yourself, your creatures are tough to kill and they aren't boarding in Destructive Revelry against you.

Oh yeah this is what I should have said. I have it in my board for burn and a few other things.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Serum Visions sucks but it's the best proactive turn one you can put in this build of the deck after Mausoleum Wanderer so :smith: I don't mind taking it out against Burn because I'm looking to take a more controlling angle. Kira does work against Searing Blaze and offers some protection from Lavamancer so she's definitely there to stay.

Not sold on cutting Cryptic. The card is very strong and it's also an out to a resolved Eidolon.

Negate doesn't come in for burn since it's too slow. Sunlance comes in or stays depending on how zoo-ish their build was. Spell Snare comes in because it trades up on tempo and hits all the best cards in their deck.

Appreciate the replies.

"let it sit there for two turns while I either do nothing or take a shitload of damage" is not an out to a resolved Eidolon.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I have landed a Worship on one life against Affinity and Burn more than once and it feels a lot like cheating

E: Eldrazi, Suicide Zoo and Merfolk all hate this one weird trick to piss off an aggro player too!!

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 19, 2016

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

"let it sit there for two turns while I either do nothing or take a shitload of damage" is not an out to a resolved Eidolon.

Yeah this is also a thing I thought of but forgot to say.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I have landed a Worship on one life against Affinity and Burn more than once and it feels a lot like cheating

Affinity still has Inkmoth. It's probably worth bringing in against all the random stupid Valakut decks too. Get 2 Drogskol Captains and they almost can't win.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

Yeah this is also a thing I thought of but forgot to say.

Affinity still has Inkmoth. It's probably worth bringing in against all the random stupid Valakut decks too. Get 2 Drogskol Captains and they almost can't win.

They do, but if I have a KotR active it generally doesn't matter to me, I'll have at least two Quarters waiting in my deck or already active waiting for them.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

E: Eldrazi, Suicide Zoo and Merfolk all hate this one weird trick to piss off an aggro player too!!

Fun story: last classic I played in, game 3 against burn I was at 3 and slammed a worship on the table. He called a judge (apparently asking about skullcrack getting around it), then shook my hand and said congrats you win. Worship is great.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
You've sold me on Worship at the very least. I wonder if that means I leave in the Serum Visions to look for it.

EDIT: recommending two copies or three? Seems like a solid card against pretty much every creature-heavy deck that doesn't have access to Chord>Reclamation Sage or maindeck Pridemage, and I have enough permission that I can probably protect one a pair of Revelries coming in G2 or some such.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 19, 2016

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

You've sold me on Worship at the very least. I wonder if that means I leave in the Serum Visions to look for it.

Visions is too slow and actively works against you if they have an Eidolon out. As long as you have something more useful you could be doing turn 1 (Mausoleum Wanderer or Pathing their Guide comes to mind), I would board it out for something more effective unless you have some real stinkers against them game 1

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
T1 Path loving sucks, and I'm not sure if it's right to do it. Given Burn 3 mana on turn 2 seems like it could end up backfiring.

I'd definitely rather cast Mausoleum Wanderer but I'm not allowed to run 8 of them.

EDIT: FWIW, Eidolon is actually pretty beatable depending on what the board looks like when it comes out. If I won the coinflip or have a smoother draw then them sometimes I just turn dudes sideways faster than them while they do like 8 damage to themselves.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Can anyone tell me why people are bringing in Surgical against me playing Death and Taxes? I mean besides the obvious answer that MTGO players are just really, really bad. I've had 2 people do it this week.