Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

wdarkk posted:

"It will be able to outfight anything it can't outrun."

Then the 28-knot battleships hit the drawing board.

Not even that, by the time it was built the British had fast BCs like the Hood, Renown, Repulse, which could easily have hunted a Deutschland down.

The whole concept was a pipe-dream which resulted out of the military and economical predicament Germany was in, before they decided to say "gently caress it" to the Versailles treaty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

10 mil supercontainer. I don't want more credits stop giving me credits.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
This goddamn ship is starting to grow on me.

I think it really was down to taking premium damecon and repair party on it, I find myself using all four charges of RP very often on this ship. Is it worth it to take Superintendent on this captain if I'm going to take him up the line? I took High Alert instead but thinking about it, it was kind of a dumb move considering damecon 2 already refreshes so fast, and high tier German BB's have sonar or something, so I could have an extra charge of that.

Not really sure if I'll ever use the *fifth* charge of heal on a battleship that often though. Do battles even last that long for you to take advantage of it?

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

The British cruisers are so good for adrenaline rushes/screams of rage.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Astroclassicist posted:

The British cruisers are so good for adrenaline rushes/screams of rage.

I'm in the tier 3 right now. I dislike it, but that's because I have to torp BBs and can't really hurt them otherwise.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

First game in the Minotaur. Nothing quite like a solid map for a hidey knife-fighter. No enemy used hydro or radar on me the entire match, and I was able to hit a few ambush torps on BBs. If my smoke cloud hadn't been suicide rushed by an enemy Eugen who took one for the team, I would have exceeded 300K dmg.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Speaking of the RN light cruisers, I finally got some victories in the Edinburgh. :woop:

One thing I like is that it seems like the Edinburgh has a really ridiculous heal - admittedly I was running the +20% flag or w/e, but in one game I got from near death up to half health on a single charge, and surprisingly quickly too. One thing I dislike is that the premium consumables are eyewateringly expensive but it feels like your performance would really suffer if you didn't have premium hydro, smoke, and repair parties. It feels like the only place you can economise is on camouflage.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

OSad posted:

This goddamn ship is starting to grow on me.

I think it really was down to taking premium damecon and repair party on it, I find myself using all four charges of RP very often on this ship. Is it worth it to take Superintendent on this captain if I'm going to take him up the line? I took High Alert instead but thinking about it, it was kind of a dumb move considering damecon 2 already refreshes so fast, and high tier German BB's have sonar or something, so I could have an extra charge of that.

Not really sure if I'll ever use the *fifth* charge of heal on a battleship that often though. Do battles even last that long for you to take advantage of it?

If you don't immediately yolo, they definitely do. Superintendent is a pretty safe choice for an extra heal + hydro.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
So I decided to pick up the Anshan because why not. What commander skills should I take? I was thinking of not bothering with CE and going BFT, Last Stand, Superintendent, then going back and picking up EM because these turrets turn real slow, then picking up DE and AFT. Is this a good idea or a lovely one? I don't have too much experience with the Russian style DDs.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
ok

the next 4 nerds who quote this post and then post who their ship waifu is in the thread will get one of those dollar codes for 3 days of premium and 30 zulu flags
DONT FUCKIN DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT ON NA SERVER OR ALREADY USED ONE CUZ ITS POINTLESS THE CODE WONT WORK well you can post who your waifu is anyways just make sure I know so I don't PM you one of the codes

also be forewarned: your waifu is trash

and yes I'm on of the assholes who bought up a bunch of the codes but HEY I HAD TO SECURE SOME CODES FOR GOONS

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I don't need your garbage handouts.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

OSad posted:

Superintendent + premium DC and repair is pretty much mandatory on BBs.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Did some rear end in a top hat put out an instructional video telling people to just blind fire into smoke if an RN cruiser lays a cloud? I swear to god every match today its the same thing.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I don't need your garbage handouts.

senpai didn't notice me

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Hazdoc posted:

senpai didn't notice me

I'm not exactly sure what the gently caress a ship waifu is, but I'm far enough into the bag to make it happen.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Hazdoc posted:

ok

the next 4 nerds who quote this post and then post who their ship waifu is in the thread will get one of those dollar codes for 3 days of premium and 30 zulu flags

I had to spend a good 4-5 days in the company of this fair maiden in my IJN progression, and I have to say she was

complete
and
utter
loving
garbage

But I won't forget her and she was likely the one I'll have spent the most time with, so good riddance :byewhore:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

ok

DONT FUCKIN DO IT IF YOU'RE NOT ON NA SERVER OR ALREADY USED ONE CUZ ITS POINTLESS THE CODE WONT WORK well you can post who your waifu is anyways just make sure I know so I don't PM you one of the codes

and yes I'm on of the assholes who bought up a bunch of the codes but HEY I HAD TO SECURE SOME CODES FOR GOONS

ezpz, Nagato

Sturdy, built to last, Biggu Guns, knows how to shift her own weight, great secondaries to pay attention to everybody. Took a goddamn nuke to the side of the ship and shrugged it off, would've shrugged a second off too if she didn't start to flood. Was the former flagship of the IJN fleet before Yamato was introduced, a thoroughly useless ship by comparison that served as a hotel for high-ranking officers for most of the war. Did a lot of work, got shot a lot, survived almost all of it.

You can just give me all four codes because really, this is the best ship waifu. There is no other choice.

EDIT:

Emalde posted:

But I won't forget her and she was likely the one I'll have spent the most time with, so good riddance :byewhore:

Kawachi is underrated. If you get within range, there isn't a whole lot of ships that can survive the crap you spew at them for long. The funky gun placement makes you a funny sea turtle that can always fire no matter where your ship is pointing at.

I was playing with some buddies at tier 3 recently and I've played it a bunch again, it might be because the maps at lower tiers are now much smaller so you can actually shoot back at things when they're shooting at you, but I had a lot of fun curbstomping low tiers in it. It felt a lot more decent than the Nassau for some reason.

OSad fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 19, 2016

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Hazdoc posted:

ok

North Carolina is the best because she's a modern USN BB without the Iowa's fat rear end. She's so quiet and demure that she can get within 11km of the enemy without being noticed before flashing her 16-inchers.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Hazdoc posted:

ok

Taihou is a good boat.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Which one was the IJN ship that was literally involved in war crimes and murdering prisoners yet people will defend because it's just "remembering fallen soldiers" and "not only the winning side can romanticize history"? Thats my shipfu.

edit: how bout this one

She took 72 prisoners of war off a sunken freighter out to sea and executed them. (I do actually want the Tone ingame tho cause it could have a cool gimmick).

ranbo das fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 19, 2016

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004
The Bismarck has ruined this game for me, so goddamned fun I can't play anything else without getting frustrated.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

JacksLibido posted:

The Bismarck has ruined this game for me, so goddamned fun I can't play anything else without getting frustrated.

odd way to type nikolai.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

ranbo das posted:

edit: how bout this one

She took 72 prisoners of war off a sunken freighter out to sea and executed them. (I do actually want the Tone ingame tho cause it could have a cool gimmick).

The eyes of a true killer... terrifying.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Finally played a game where I didn't completely blow at Tier X. Team also communicated and we used some of this strategy stuff I've heard about.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

ranbo das posted:

Which one was the IJN ship that was literally involved in war crimes and murdering prisoners yet people will defend because it's just "remembering fallen soldiers" and "not only the winning side can romanticize history"? Thats my shipfu.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Ocean_raid_(1944)
Yep, there's a few others I can name off the top of my head, such as the literally blond hair blue eyed submarine I-8. But war crimes and massacres don't exactly do well in a game that's meant to be about warship schoolgirls, so I don't blame them for glossing over the stuff. However, it's also a little tiring seeing people somehow mark it against Kancolle. Its a little difficult to market your characters when you're also bringing up that they are WAR CRIMINALS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATHS OF INNOCENTS, etc. Its not good business practice, lol.

OSad and Afrosquirrel, you don't have PMs so I need you to pop me a chat ingame or on discord. Kojei and Emalde, your codes are in PM.

rex rabidorum vires posted:

I'm not exactly sure what the gently caress a ship waifu is, but I'm far enough into the bag to make it happen.

I DONT KNOW IF YOU'RE TRYING TO GET A CODE OR NOT BUT YOU DIDNT FOLLOW ANY OF THE RULES, PS: you didn't have to actually name a KC shipgirl I'd have accepted Willie D Porter if you'd have said it tbh

Also the only correct waifu is Kuma. Duh.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Kuma isn't even the best Kuma-class waifu fite me irl

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
sorry but the correct answer is all of them

edit: especially the war criminals

kojei fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 19, 2016

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

One thing I like is that it seems like the Edinburgh has a really ridiculous heal - admittedly I was running the +20% flag or w/e, but in one game I got from near death up to half health on a single charge, and surprisingly quickly too.

The tier 8-10 RN cruisers get a unique heal. Nearly all other ships that get a heal get up to 14% health back over 28 seconds (a very tiny number of ships get a little more, but never more than 16% I think).

The Tier 8-10 RN cruisers get 40%. PER HEAL. And does it for 20 seconds rather than 28. Never let an RN cruiser escape if you possibly can, because chances are round two's going to start much better for them than it is for you..

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

I DONT KNOW IF YOU'RE TRYING TO GET A CODE OR NOT BUT YOU DIDNT FOLLOW ANY OF THE RULES, PS: you didn't have to actually name a KC shipgirl I'd have accepted Willie D Porter if you'd have said it tbh

That's half the fun, innit? It would be the Ling though. Interned on her between junior and senior year of college. She's a Balao class diesel electric and I was lucky enough to be able to crawl all over her from tip to toe with guidance and explanation from WWII vets. I (used) to know so much stupid poo poo about those boats :)

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
My waifu is the Zao, who never did war crimes. Because it never existed.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Rorac posted:

The tier 8-10 RN cruisers get a unique heal. Nearly all other ships that get a heal get up to 14% health back over 28 seconds (a very tiny number of ships get a little more, but never more than 16% I think).

The Tier 8-10 RN cruisers get 40%. PER HEAL. And does it for 20 seconds rather than 28. Never let an RN cruiser escape if you possibly can, because chances are round two's going to start much better for them than it is for you..

Holy gently caress, I guess all the insta-deletions prevented me from figuring this out. The Edinburgh is now instantly redeemed. :stwoon:

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the RN cruisers, do you think it plays significantly differently from the Fiji?

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Rorac posted:

So what I'm taking away from this is that RN cruisers should never not be ramming DDs, even more so than every other ship.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

ok

Bayern. I learned my true loves in the game in this boat: brawling and face-melting secondaries. :siren::black101::siren:

OSad
Feb 29, 2012

About the only time I can stomach playing tier 10's... is when Hazdoc is there to poop smoke all over my face desu.

Thanks Hazdoc.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

OSad posted:

About the only time I can stomach playing tier 10's... is when Hazdoc is there to poop smoke all over my face desu.

Thanks Hazdoc.

Maybe if we get the same group again and I don't need other stuff I can take my Zao out.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is Survivability Expert worth taking for a Destroyer? 2000 HP boost for a destroyer sounds pretty significant for my Nicoles

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Since you seem pretty knowledgeable about the RN cruisers, do you think it plays significantly differently from the Fiji?

From what i remember going from one to the other?

The Fiji took off like a rocket from a standing start. The Edin always felt far more slugish.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

MikeC posted:

Is Survivability Expert worth taking for a Destroyer? 2000 HP boost for a destroyer sounds pretty significant for my Nicoles

It's really not in most circumstances. There's an argument to be made for certain T9-10 destroyers, but other than that it's really not worth it when you could be grabbing Demolition Expert or AFT instead.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

It's really not in most circumstances. There's an argument to be made for certain T9-10 destroyers, but other than that it's really not worth it when you could be grabbing Demolition Expert or AFT instead.

I disagree for US dds, AFT isn't much use because with the extra range you are firing your shells into orbit and hitting anything is a nightmare, and the extra health means you will much more reliably win cap point fights at close range against other destroyers. You spit out shells at such a rate that you will likely get fires reliably even without DE on larger boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

MikeC posted:

Yes, it should be your go-to tier 4 skill for most DD's above tier 5-6 or so but especially US ones. IJN kinda needs it to offset their garbage HP pools and skills that buff guns aren't of much use on them anyway, but on US DD's you take it to make you even more dominating in knife fights and to ensure you can push other DD's off caps. AFT on US DD's is mostly a trap, it's really not very useful at all - if you are at a range where you actually make use of it you probably made a serious error in positioning (on Mahan and above especially you want to be using your torpedoes as much as possible which means get closer). DE is nice but sitting around and spamming shells at battleships is a luxury you can afford once you've made sure the enemy DD's are either dead or hosed off, and you want SE to enable accomplishing that.

On Russian DD's the standard build these days is "3x4" - DE, AFT and SE in that order, forgoing CE entirely.

If you plan on keeping the captain in the Nicholas I think you could argue in favor of a 3x4 build as well since you're never going to be stealth torping anything anyway, but if you're moving up the US DD line definitely take SE.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 19, 2016