Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
They told all the grounders in the world this? :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It isn't like we've seen anything to say that grounder culture is everywhere. We've only seen this small area of the East coast of the US.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Zzulu posted:

They told all the grounders in the world this? :frogbon:

Even "Ice Nation" is only a day or two away, and Mt Weather has missiles and probably drones. So the grounders squirrel away what they have. But you'll notice their how their words for fighting and the warrior caste tend to involve the word "gun."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
This isn't technically a spoiler but I'm spoiler-tagging it anyway because it might as well be:

From a deleted tweet that was up for all of five minutes. So... yeah, I'm going to go ahead and say that Jasper is 1000%, no takesies-backsies dead this season. :rip:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well good

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

muscles like this! posted:

It isn't like we've seen anything to say that grounder culture is everywhere. We've only seen this small area of the East coast of the US.

I like to think that there's large swaths and pockets of the world that are actually doing just fine, but the US got annihilated the worst out of anyone else.

This is my head-canon for The Walking Dead as well.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

TheCenturion posted:

Even "Ice Nation" is only a day or two away, and Mt Weather has missiles and probably drones. So the grounders squirrel away what they have. But you'll notice their how their words for fighting and the warrior caste tend to involve the word "gun."

We don't really know where Ice Nation is located, except "to the north". The show makes the distance and location quite ambiguous.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
What was the explanation for why the tribes didn't just migrate away from Mt. Weather?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Lycus posted:

What was the explanation for why the tribes didn't just migrate away from Mt. Weather?

It ain't that easy. Different terrain, eco systems, and so on, not to mention bumping into territory claimed by others.

Or maybe Mt Weather just let the acid fog out every time they tried, until the got the hint.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Acid fog has a limited range that doesn't even extend to their major villages. That was a plot point.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 17, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Lycus posted:

Acid fog has a limited range that doesn't even extend to their major villages. That was a plot point.

The missiles are long-range though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Acid fog is still my favorite thing from The 100.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
How will we control the grounders?

Acid Fog Storms :boom:

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.
The funny thing is, while there is a lot of unrealistic/fantastical stuff in The 100, some of the things that people complain about are actually areas where the show is more realistic than a lot of other post-apocalyptic media.

Zzulu posted:

All the cities of the world got overgrown in 100 years to the point where you can't even see them anymore.

First, no that didn't happen to all of them, as Polis is clearly still visible. Second, the other major city that we see the ruins of is Washington DC, which in addition to getting overgrown, also got the poo poo nuked out of it. Third, abandoned cities really do get overgrown fast, as seen with Pripyat etc. Fourth, between termites and fire most wooden buildings in a climate like that of Northern Virginia probably would vanish within a few decades of no maintenance, which would leave only scattered brick and metal frame buildings outside of city centers that managed to avoid the nukes (like the one that became Polis).

There's a story from Fallout 3's development that Bethesda tried to do some computer modeling to determine what would be left of Washington DC after the nukes + 200 years of decay. The answer they got was "nothing," which would make for pretty boring scenery, so they decided to ignore it and just make whatever ruins looked pretty.

Zzulu posted:

All humans reverted instantly back to tribal states.

How long did it take for something like that to happen in Syria or Afghanistan? Heck, we even see something not entirely dissimilar with criminal groups like the Mafia, inner city gangs, prison gangs, and so on.

Zzulu posted:

All guns vanished except the ones the 100 suddenly found in barrels or whatever.

With the factories all disabled or destroyed, ammunition is going to run out fast. And even if some people did manage to hoard a bunch of bullets, there's this thing called "rust." The military really does dip guns in barrels of grease when storing them long term, because if they don't do that the guns will be useless from rust in not much time at all.

Finally, considering how hard it is to make smokeless powder and especially primers (the first primers in the 19th century used mercury fulminate, but there are virtually no mercury reserves left in North America), producing new guns more advanced than single shot black powder muskets is almost certainly beyond the abilities of a post apocalyptic society like the one depicted. That's probably the sort of guns that Mount Weather scared the nearby Grounders into giving up.

Zzulu posted:

All technology vanished.

Large power plants are prime targets in a nuclear war and gasoline goes bad in a matter of months. Even if you have a source of power, most of the repairmen/machinists/engineers/etc are dead so the chances of you being able to repair or replace something if it breaks are pretty much nil. And even if you avoid that, there's the problem of rust again.

And this is assuming that the US wasn't hit by a high altitude EMP, when there's a very good chance it would be in a nuclear war.

The question people should be asking is not why the Grounders reverted to a roughly medieval level of technology, but why the Ark and Mount Weather didn't.

Zzulu posted:

Grounders seem to not remember anything even though the world ended just 100 years ago so it's almost even still in living memory.

However, I agree that this part is totally unjustifiable. Modern Native Americans that are descendants of relatively advanced pre-Columbian civilizations like the Mississippians and the Hohokam have plenty of oral history about how their ancestors used to live in cities and build vast earthen mounds/canal systems and adobe dwellings. That's several centuries after a biological apocalypse that killed ~90% of their population followed by various wars and genocides, all in societies that never developed writing on their own. Even the most isolated backwater Grounders should have plenty of stories handed down through the generations about how the ancients could talk to people on the other side of the planet using magic boxes, traverse the entire world in a single day, and build houses in the sky.

Zzulu posted:

In these 100 years, animals have evolved to become monsters because of ~radiation~

Now that part you just have to chalk up to Fallout-esque B-movie science.

INH5 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 18, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:five:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I'm just bummed that we haven't seen more giant water snakes or two-headed deer. That was part of the original premise that was very promising, but got dropped for some reason (probably budget) in favor of human adversaries.

It would be cool if packs of mutated dogs/wolves were an actual threat.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
packs of mutated people

lets go full super mutants

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Remember how a monster dude showed up at the end of an episode? And then nothing ever happened with him again?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Started season 3. Hope Jasper dies soon, because that's some grade A psycho-melodrama for a stupid fling getting turned into grilled cheese.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I need to put on my nerd hat for a moment to announce my anger/annoyance at how broke down everything looks in Fallout 3. Beth wanted it to be a sequel to the original games and set much later, but have their wasteland cake as well. In Fallout 2 society was already in the process of rebuilding.

And the hat is off.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

muscles like this! posted:

Remember how a monster dude showed up at the end of an episode? And then nothing ever happened with him again?

The dude/thing Octavia saw at the river that looked like it had a butt for a head? Or something else (I'm only 4 episodes into s2).

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

So that ice clan lady challenges the commander to a fight, and they both have the option to have someone else battle it out? What retarded bullshit is that?

Also That Black Dude's being the usual obnoxious pain in the rear end as in any role I've seen him before. Suits him well, but he annoys me.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Combat Pretzel posted:

So that ice clan lady challenges the commander to a fight, and they both have the option to have someone else battle it out? What retarded bullshit is that?

This happened all the time in the Middle Ages during Trials by Combat so it's not just like some stupid plot contrivance they made up for the show. Also it happened in two different Game of Thrones episodes.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

Rosalind posted:

This happened all the time in the Middle Ages during Trials by Combat so it's not just like some stupid plot contrivance they made up for the show. Also it happened in two different Game of Thrones episodes.

Yup. Eventually they figure out that physical prowess and time devoted to martial training don't necessarily translate into good leadership skills.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Well, the Middle Ages were batshit insane, too.

Also, figures that with this being another Canada show, Roger Cross has to show up eventually.

--edit: Oh Eureka cop injecting black poo poo, special kids having black blood, alluded memory transference.

--edit: I wonder if this AI plot was always in the cards.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 19, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Combat Pretzel posted:

--edit: I wonder if this AI plot was always in the cards.

Compare Allie's symbol to the 100 logo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Gonna avoid the thread but I have to say I am on Season 1 Episode 5 and I really like this. I thought it was gonna be kind of cheesy but holy poo poo Charlotte killing Wells was intense!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, the show certainly takes you by surprise. I initially only started out due to knowing Dichen Lachman had a handful of episodes, and the sperg in me keeps me from just watching the arc of an actor I want to see-- gotta start from the beginning, even if I think the show will be poo poo. So happy it turned out the show is good on its own.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah its really good I just got to Charlotte resolution. I was not expecting that at all.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show basically cranks it up to 11 shortly after that and never lets up on the gas. I think my favourite thing about The 100 is how frantically paced it can be, just chewing through story instead of meandering and getting caught up in the typical dramas of a CW show.

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Hollismason posted:

Gonna avoid the thread but I have to say I am on Season 1 Episode 5 and I really like this. I thought it was gonna be kind of cheesy but holy poo poo Charlotte killing Wells was intense!

Right? The first episode or two had me thinking "okay interesting premise but this is cheesy as gently caress, but so were a lot of shows I currently like at first so I'm gonna keep pushing through..." and I am not disappointed. Also yeah, Charlotte. Thank you for reminding me of her name, I kept forgetting it so I was calling her Lizzie 'cause after that episode she reminded me of the little crazy blonde girl from The Walking Dead.

Anyway it took a little longer for my fiance to get into it but we're 4 episodes into Season 2 and he's on board now too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Ive just finished season 2 and I want to say: Clarke did nothing wrong

edit: started season 3: Jasper managed to get even more annoiyng and lame now that he became emo

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 19, 2016

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
clarke is harsh but fair and if u get in the way ull get smoked bitch

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Saw the trailer and I was like "pfft, after that last season I don't give a poo poo about any of this. gently caress this show. Oh they're not even going in an interesting direction, it's just more dual swords anime warrior dudes playing post-apocalyptic Game Of Thrones."

Then I saw Raven and I was like "oh hey, Raven! I really like Raven!"

And then Clarke did her crying voice like when she has to make a really hard decision and she knows this poo poo is hosed up and I was like "oh nooo, clarke, nooooo"

Then Bellamy said something and I immediately remembered season 3 and went back to "nah, gently caress this show."

Goons React™

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
if clarke kisses a boy i'm going to be pretty disappointed

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
pretty sure shes already kissed a boy b4

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Iron Rose posted:

I think you mean the kiss of death. :rip: Finn

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

:allears:

God I forgot the kind of drama that this show brings about. Can't wait for this new season!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

I hope clarke kisses a boy and a girl and then maybe together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Clarke shot Harambe

• Locked thread