Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry

Seminal Flu posted:

Rocket says "Merry Christmas" to you nerds.

It's cold as poo poo here and our pup gives no poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BloodBag posted:

The fact that 14 was the guy that convinced me to go see Mad Max: Fury Road giving such a glowing review of Rogue One has me super stoked for my Sunday matinee showing with my wife. :corsair:

:hfive: Just reserved seats for my wife and I for 3:00 PM today. W00t!

Goober Peas posted:

I dunno, my Kenmore appliances are holding up well - granted they're 15 years old. The microwave is probably going to be the first to die.

Our previous Kenmore lasted 10 years, and frankly probably would have continued to work if someone would have been willing to recharge it :effort:
I'm hoping our new American built Whirlpool will last as long if not longer. Fricking $1300 fridge.
So glad we didn't buy a Samsung (thanks to you guys bitching about them earlier.)

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I've been talking to some idiot dealer about a car im interested in a few hours south of me. I said I'm busy so I'm not sure when I'll make it down to see it. He then offers to deliver to me for $100, and I tell him I'd think about it. So the next day I call him and tell him I'd rather see it first, and that my wife has some business to attend to down there in the next few weeks and i'd just come then. Then the guy goes off on a tangent saying OH GREAT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS MAYBE MERRY CHRISTMAS....And before I can tell him to gently caress of hes says he's just kidding.

Great way to lose a sale idiot.

Car sales is a sick and twisted industry. Sadly, they can't seem to figure out why people don't really like buying a new car. Hint: it's because you employ a bunch of douchebags and pay them based on how deep they can lodge the dildo.

I'm very interested in this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UeuMHrPS4Q

Rear mount turbo in a CV P71. I really want to see how the engine holds up to boost.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Don't kinkshame

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Washed/waxed my car today since I'm lucky enough to have a heated garage and hose in my building. We just got hit with 7 inches of snow this weekend, so I'm going to take the bus to work because I don't want to ruin the car while the snow's getting cleared. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hey guys I've been awake without eating since like midnight and i've got the gordon ramsay youtube channel on autoplay, can someone tell me why i feel so hungry?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Enourmo posted:

Hey guys I've been awake without eating since like midnight and i've got the gordon ramsay youtube channel on autoplay, can someone tell me why i feel so hungry?
No, but I can call you a oval office in a British accent.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm now watching Kitchen Nightmares USA. I love Gordon Ramsay :allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Not really sure what you're talking about.. Our college hypes football as much as the next and as a result people come to games, etc.. Also the money is being used in the break to refresh parking lots and adding an additional one. Last year it also updated the facade on a few buildings, year before last a new cafeteria. So, yes. It's hyped but for good cause that the money actually gets used elsewhere on campus. Classroom materials and other things are already included in lifecycle funding. The less bonds we conceive, the better it is for the community.

http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Pages/Myth-College-Sports-Are-a-Cash-Cow2.aspx

No. Most college athletic programs, ESPECIALLY football, are largely funded by mandatory student fees and are a net loss overall.

http://www.politifact.com/virginia/statements/2014/dec/22/jim-moran/moran-says-only-20-colleges-make-profit-sports/
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2008/05/16/ncaa

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 19, 2016

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Enourmo posted:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
At my wife's work Christmas party.

These things are even worse without booze.

Also Peter Fonda's double is here.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

YouTube Ramsay is a chill rear end dude though? He's only an angry lunatic on TV (and even then mostly just on the American shows, he appears reasonable in his UK stuff unless he's dealing with legit grade-A dipshits)

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

YouTube Ramsay is a chill rear end dude though? He's only an angry lunatic on TV (and even then mostly just on the American shows, he appears reasonable in his UK stuff unless he's dealing with legit grade-A dipshits)

I watch him in those restaurant disasters things and he is as sweet as pie to the wait staff that are getting screwed over by bad bosses.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

He's firm but fair, something about US tv makes him angrier or something, I dunno. The episode I just watched I'm amazed he didn't slash up the owner's face, holy gently caress.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

That's seriously funny.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

No. Most college athletic programs, ESPECIALLY football, are largely funded by mandatory student fees and are a net loss overall.
I'll always be on the fence.

Traditionally, sport and music are two avenues through which someone with no "saleable" metric can succeed, and as such, I'm on board with it being a valid path to get into college/university. On the other hand, real sports involve engines, mountain bikes, or lifting weights, and as such other stuff - particularly team sports - can sod off.

Maybe college football would be cheaper if they didn't wear all the padding, and called it rugby. :britain:

Olympic Mathlete posted:

something about US tv makes him angrier or something, I dunno.
They're called "scripts" and "producers".

Seminal Flu posted:

That's seriously funny.
If nothing else, the Gordon Ramsey memes are loving hilarious.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

keykey posted:

Not really sure what you're talking about.. Our college hypes football as much as the next and as a result people come to games, etc.. Also the money is being used in the break to refresh parking lots and adding an additional one. Last year it also updated the facade on a few buildings, year before last a new cafeteria. So, yes. It's hyped but for good cause that the money actually gets used elsewhere on campus. Classroom materials and other things are already included in lifecycle funding. The less bonds we conceive, the better it is for the community.

Must be nice. My university pissed money away on a basketball team that nobody other than the players gave a poo poo about, pulling funding from arts and sciences to build a new gym "for the students" that less than 1% of the student population use. loving waste of money and a piss-off for those of us whom actually give a poo poo about education and not slack-jawed shitlords dribbling balls who gently caress over group projects by not showing up/working.

I don't mind professional sports, but good lords the money that gets pissed away, salaries that are paid, etc. are just so far out of whack.

Also, its -33C, -42C with the wind, so I may also be slightly crabbier than normal :P

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Siochain posted:

Must be nice. My university pissed money away on a basketball team that nobody other than the players gave a poo poo about, pulling funding from arts and sciences to build a new gym "for the students" that less than 1% of the student population use. loving waste of money and a piss-off for those of us whom actually give a poo poo about education and not slack-jawed shitlords dribbling balls who gently caress over group projects by not showing up/working.

I don't mind professional sports, but good lords the money that gets pissed away, salaries that are paid, etc. are just so far out of whack.

Also, its -33C, -42C with the wind, so I may also be slightly crabbier than normal :P

If it makes you feel any better, here it's been -20 to -30 here for the last 2 weeks and today it was 0.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Siochain posted:

I thought the reason that so many colleges did this stuff is because public universities can't be making too much money, so they piss it away on useless garbage, and then this weird cargo cult grows around sports because some universities can afford to spend millions every year on losing teams

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Powershift posted:

If it makes you feel any better, here it's been -20 to -30 here for the last 2 weeks and today it was 0.

Yeah, we haven't had it as bad as the prairies. And we're back up to -10'ish and snowing for the rest of the week. This is making not buying a new sled very difficult.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

The Door Frame posted:

I thought the reason that so many colleges did this stuff is because public universities can't be making too much money, so they piss it away on useless garbage, and then this weird cargo cult grows around sports because some universities can afford to spend millions every year on losing teams

Well if they cant be seen making too much money, why not reduce tuition fees and raise salaries?

Oh wait, that would be logical.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

what kind of college programs aren't a net loss? i'm all for funding engineering programs but they frequently require tons of capital investments compared to a lot of other programs.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 208 days!)

Goodbye, Grandma.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

BraveUlysses posted:

what kind of college programs aren't a net loss? i'm all for funding engineering programs but they frequently require tons of capital investments compared to a lot of other programs.

You don't buy tickets to engineering games, engineers don't have have merchandise, engineers don't sell food, and engineering exams aren't broadcast on TV

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Sports dont put rockets in space and solve complex human related problems.

Doesnt matter anyway. This country all but criminalizes mathematics and critical loving thinking.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

cursedshitbox posted:

Doesnt matter anyway. This country all but criminalizes mathematics and critical loving thinking.

No, but no one who would donate to those programs is donating to sports instead.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
From the files of "When it rains, it pours":

Wife's grandmother died this morning around 2:30 am. Spent the day with family and all that. Got home and decided to grade papers and do laundry.... and the transmission in our washer went out thanks to me overloading it (my mind was elsewhere when I loaded it, and I didn't feel like I crammed too much in there, but when I emptied it, the washer was clearly overloaded.) A new one is about 180 bucks; new washers start at 287 for an Amana (offbrand Whirlpool). The one we have is a GE, and the parts I'd need to fix it would be about 200 bucks - transmission, belt, and nut, so I'm going that route first. The nut I need to remove is corroded on there solidly, and no one has a socket big enough (and I'm just rounding it off with channel locks), so I have to wait until tomorrow to proceed. HomeDepot, Lowes, and Northern Tool had nothing. Planning to try Harbor Freight tomorrow.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Condolences on grandma :(

If you can get a new washer with presumebly some sort of warranty for less than $100 more to fix your broken one, I would just go that route tbh.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

West SAAB Story posted:

Goodbye, Grandma.

QuarkMartial posted:

From the files of "When it rains, it pours":

Wife's grandmother died this morning around 2:30 am. Spent the day with family and all that. Got home and decided to grade papers and do laundry.... and the transmission in our washer went out thanks to me overloading it (my mind was elsewhere when I loaded it, and I didn't feel like I crammed too much in there, but when I emptied it, the washer was clearly overloaded.) A new one is about 180 bucks; new washers start at 287 for an Amana (offbrand Whirlpool). The one we have is a GE, and the parts I'd need to fix it would be about 200 bucks - transmission, belt, and nut, so I'm going that route first. The nut I need to remove is corroded on there solidly, and no one has a socket big enough (and I'm just rounding it off with channel locks), so I have to wait until tomorrow to proceed. HomeDepot, Lowes, and Northern Tool had nothing. Planning to try Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Sorry guys.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

We're a dying breed, man.

iwentdoodie posted:

No, but no one who would donate to those programs is donating to sports instead.

That's the point: We can't donate to large R&D projects for the most part, but people can piss away money onto school sports programs that are largely a no-pay recruiting camp for a for-profit sports league.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I need some help, last year I built new XP pcs for my store and some kind posters here supplied me with some XP Pro keys so I could use the ISO I had on hand. I've been asked to built two new machines for our Lansing store and none of the keys I have found online have worked. Anybody got an old XP Pro key they don't need anymore?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

I need some help, last year I built new XP pcs for my store and some kind posters here supplied me with some XP Pro keys so I could use the ISO I had on hand. I've been asked to built two new machines for our Lansing store and none of the keys I have found online have worked. Anybody got an old XP Pro key they don't need anymore?

I should. Let me dig around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

I should. Let me dig around.

That'd be awesome man, they can't find anything up there so i'm just throwing some new towers together from my parts bins but the only ISOs I have are XP Pro.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CommieGIR posted:

We're a dying breed, man.

That's the point: We can't donate to large R&D projects for the most part, but people can piss away money onto school sports programs that are largely a no-pay recruiting camp for a for-profit sports league.

Not disagreeing with you. But, again, the people spending that money wouldn't be spending it on STEM either way, it'd be going to more regressive poo poo.

I do think that college athletics, football especially, should be shunted into a minor/feeder league however.

I love CFB, but I'd root the same for the Austin Longhorns as I do for the UT Longhorns. The NCAA is a loving scam.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
*finishes watching Pitch Black again*

*pretends lighter is my last source of light outside while smoking*

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Damnit. I got adopted by a stray cat.

Neighbor had one show up on her doorstep. Too cold outside for any pets, and neighbor is allergic. So I have a second cat hanging out here until I can get him/her checked for a chip.

I'm keeping him/her separated from my cat, though I did let them see each other.. no hissing or any signs of aggression from either cat, aside from my cat being a bit startled and the other cat giving a "great, there's another cat in this place?" look. Getting her checked for a microchip tomorrow, and I've been posting on Nextdoor, various Facebook groups, reddit, etc to try and locate her owner. I don't want to let her mingle with my cat, since my cat doesn't do that well with other cats... and I have no idea what she may have. I'm assuming female just based on size, I might be wrong, but I'm not gonna go and grab the pussy by the pussy (or the penis) to find out.

*Bruce Campbell voice* WELL HELLO MR MS FANCYPANTS

e: holy poo poo, my car grew a pair. He's been hissing at the bathroom door (other cat is in there) every time he walks past it. The only time I've heard a hiss from him before was when his tail got stepped on. :doh: Should have expected that, but he's generally scared of his own shadow, and there was no aggression when they first saw each other.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Dec 19, 2016

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There is no joy like the joy of a drunk man after midnight who's just rememvered theree s a chimichanga in the fridge

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
A person on a local Facebook Lexus group is selling their '96 SC300, and even has the original window sticker. Check out this price...

That's 44 grand (MSRP), in 1996, for an SC300, which is basically Lexus' "base" coupe. In 2016 money, that's $68,000 for the cheapest coupe Lexus made at the time. (we aren't even talking about the SC400.)

The spiritual successor to the SC300 in 2016 is the RC (they actually even have a trim called RC300), which has an MSRP of ~$40k for its cheapest trim. In 1996 dollars, that's just $26,000. So the 1996 SC300 was roughly 40% more expensive than its current model.

Now admittedly math isn't my strong suit, but this is mind boggling to me. It's no secret that Lexus built the hell out of their cars in the 90's, but I never would have thought you could buy the same model car 20 years later with significantly more tech and features for 40% less. I have to assume decreased market share, more US based plants, less taxes, and other stuff caused the drop in price. Still kinda crazy though.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

$1050 for a CD changer?! Even by 95-96 prices.. holy poo poo. :stonkhat:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

14 BAR RIFF posted:

There is no joy like the joy of a drunk man after midnight who's just rememvered theree s a chimichanga in the fridge

Replace "chimichanga" with "ridiculously dense chocolate Irish coffee cake with white chocolate whisky ganache", but yeah.

That recipe is definitely in my top 3 ever, holy poo poo. Several thousand calories of goodness.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

trouser chili posted:

It's starts kinda fun but by the last season I felt it had become a chore.

I'll run TWD in the background and catch the highlights. I'm only like season three I think.

Okay, I watched Sons of Anarchy to the end of season two and I am officially done.

It's just a stream of bad decisions and personal angst.

Worst, every single crisis was their own fault that could have easily been solved had they shot the bad guy when they first met them and had the opportunity. Time after time, they are in dire straits with someone they could have easily killed 5 episodes ago and avoided the whole issue.

So, The Walking Dead is too dull (feels like an extended PTA meeting about the upcoming bake sale), Breaking Bad is out because I hated every single character in it and had no empathy for any of them (Jessie was kind of relatable, but too dumb). The Blacklist makes CSI look realistic.

Guess I might go back to watching The Wire on continuous loop.

• Locked thread