Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was in the tool area of my local Lowes a couple weeks ago, and I noticed some bright bulb had used the conveniently sized bare spot along the wall to park the movable staircase in. Of course, the bare spot contained the emergency exit, and the stairs had a big "don't mess with it please" sign on it, and locking wheels.

I told a Lowes person and he said he'd take care of it right away. When we walked past 15 minutes later on our way out the store, it was still there.

The point here is that some people just don't give a gently caress, and it's not hard to temporarily give a gently caress while an inspector is present and then go right back to nofucks given immediately after they leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
This kind of thing is why I painted a border on the floor around the subpanel in my workshop. Clear space is almost always at a premium; it's easier to just put something down in a convenient bare spot than it is to keep everything tidy all the time. But if you have a giant black-and-yellow-striped zone with "KEEP CLEAR YOU NUMBSKULLS" and people still put poo poo in it, you at least know they're being willfully stupid.

(I just put a blue border on the floor because I'm the only one that needs to know what it means)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Leperflesh posted:

I was in the tool area of my local Lowes a couple weeks ago, and I noticed some bright bulb had used the conveniently sized bare spot along the wall to park the movable staircase in. Of course, the bare spot contained the emergency exit, and the stairs had a big "don't mess with it please" sign on it, and locking wheels.

I told a Lowes person and he said he'd take care of it right away. When we walked past 15 minutes later on our way out the store, it was still there.

The point here is that some people just don't give a gently caress, and it's not hard to temporarily give a gently caress while an inspector is present and then go right back to nofucks given immediately after they leave.

I did a sort of fire inspection (I have no authority but I come in before the people who do and try to advise them) and I couldn't reach the fire alarm or electrical panels because there was a good 10' of pallets and cardboard boxes in the way. I told them this was very bad. They got defensive and said they had no other place to pile discarded shipping material. They failed their inspection.

I also went to a wood-framed apartment complex that had sprinklered storage rooms with very clear bright stripes along the cages and walls showing the maximum height you can pile your trash. Almost every locker was piled way over the line, a few had piles of cardboard and flammable materials so high they were going INSIDE the metal cages around the lights. I told the property manager this was real bad and he needs to get absolutely brutal with the tenants over it. It was still like that a month later when fire department came by.

We also get into arguments with contractors doing major renovations on buildings that end up impeding exit routes. A very large building wanted to stay in operation while they gut a major hallway to replace the floor and ceiling, with hoarding totally blocking the hallway. This resulted in a huge long dead-end corridor servicing rooms containing hundreds of people. We told them this wouldn't fly, this is a very major thing. Contractor said he'd done it before, no big deal, it's only for a week, we're just being pointlessly anal about the rules. Fire department shut the whole building down very quickly, contractor acted like it was maybe some conspiracy between us and the fire department to embarrass him.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oooh that reminds me of when we had the annual fire safety briefing at my job the other day, and the corridor to the emergency exit was half filled with cardboard boxes in the photo in the power point they used to show us what the emergency exit looked like. Our boss said it was an old photo and those boxes were gone now, and when we went down to the door, indeed they were, replaced by an ancient iron printing press which I guess is an improvement over cardboard but somehow the whole thing failed to fill me with confidence.

also exit plans were missing or hung in the wrong orientation and when he went to demonstrate an emergency flashlight its batteries were entirely flat but after the photo those were just little details.

Another highlight: "we've got a hydrant here but the pipe's dry, so if there is a fire, be sure to mention that to the fire brigade"

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

also exit plans were missing or hung in the wrong orientation and when he went to demonstrate an emergency flashlight its batteries were entirely flat but after the photo those were just little details.

Here, we have exit plans in two different buildings that are several years (and a couple renovations) old. I guess the exit doors are still in the same places, must be good enough, right? :unsmith:

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
My house had the sump pump in front of the fuse box. No grate or gravel, either. Just a 2ft hole in the slab for you to break an ankle in if the breaker tripped leaving you without any lights.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Elephanthead posted:

Don't the electric buzzers cut current to unlock the gate? I though that was the proper design to escape when the building is on fire and power shorts out? Certainly the club makes this more difficult though. Maybe I am just thinking of fancier then needed lock designs for rich people that don't appreciate death by fire or asphyxiation.

You're thinking about magnetic door locks - they need power to lock, and once they lose power, they unlock. The ones that go on the latch (the ones that actually buzz) need power to unlock, they fail in the locked position.

You generally put a crash bar on doors with them, or a knob on the other side, or whatever it takes to get out in an emergency. They're not meant to be used on doors that you can reach around (i.e. gates), since if the power fails, they stay locked and you have no way to unlock it electrically.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
:idly flicks lighter:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

Don't the electric buzzers cut current to unlock the gate? I though that was the proper design to escape when the building is on fire and power shorts out?

That almost never happens. While it's certainly possible, it's needless expensive and complicated/prone to failure so most properly designed things have crash bars or other hardware like the in commercial and very simple "turn this (not very grabby) knob that unlocks the gate" surrounded in a sufficiently large box or circle to make fishing something through the gate to open it from the secure side nearly impossible in resi work. Well, not nearly impossible, but certainly much harder than using a cordless angle grinder to do the same thing.

In other types of commercial where you need to "badge out" of an area for accountability you can typically just turn the handle to open the door if the power is out on the "inside" part. If you do that without badging out the "forced door" alarm will go off which may be as little as a log entry in the software to an actual alarm blaring at you (I just did this yesterday at a colocation facility because they f'd up my badge and I was literally stuck in the corridor before the security desk that could fix the problem with no way to actually call security.......)

Where you'll see power loss fail-safe (safe in the definition of occupants not building security) are magnetic locks that you'll find more commonly on commercial entrance doors.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 18, 2016

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Did the managers not give a poo poo, or was it just "if we fired everybody who did that we'd have no employees because we don't pay enough to attract non morons"?

Where I used to work it was simply "We have too much stuff. I don't care, make it fit."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

I like to take the shotgun approach to thermostat and switch box layout.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

I love how none of them are in line with one another.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Those are self-adhesive right? As in its a joke?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

~Coxy posted:

Where I used to work it was simply "We have too much stuff. I don't care, make it fit."

Coxy, were you a contractor perchance?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

~Coxy posted:

"if we fired everybody who did that we'd have no employees managers because we don't pay enough to attract non morons"

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

nice loss edit

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

peanut posted:

Virginia suburbs.

I'm a few pages late but this thing is just up the road from my parent's house. The castle is supposedly based on the US Army Corps of Engineers castle. It's been there for a while, maybe 15 years, and I'm fairly sure the owner used to give tours until he got shut down by the county.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceBanditos posted:

I'm a few pages late but this thing is just up the road from my parent's house. The castle is supposedly based on the US Army Corps of Engineers castle. It's been there for a while, maybe 15 years, and I'm fairly sure the owner used to give tours until he got shut down by the county.

The CoE has a castle?

Also I now realize if you take the oriels off, that becomes any one of three gun stores in my area.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

there wolf posted:

The CoE has a castle?

It’s their logo. There’s never been a physical castle.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Not having a business license or insurance or...?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
No moat or princess

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?
Fairly certain it was due to lack of a business license or safety issues due to incomplete construction at the time.

It is definitely the first big/weird house that I can remember being built when I was a kid and it sits right on a heavily traveled road so people were probably a bit more curious about it at the time. There are so many more/larger/questionable houses that have been built in the area that it really doesn't stand out like it once did. There's a development 2 miles up the road with the starting price at $1.5M and may be McMansion Hell material.

https://www.creightonfarms.com

*Edit* I know there is a way to fix the link to the image but I'm phone posting and suck.

SpaceBanditos fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 20, 2016

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

SpaceBanditos posted:

https://www.creightonfarms.com

*Edit* I know there is a way to fix the link to the image but I'm phone posting and suck.

Phone postin'.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Platystemon posted:

It’s their logo. There’s never been a physical castle.

I've spent a good chunk of my life on and around man-made lakes and have never seen this before.

I guess the CoE really are an unseen council of dark wizards that feed off the negative emotions that come from a dock-building permit being denied over 1/2in on the overall height of the structure.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
My dad has a ton of castle coins

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

there wolf posted:

I've spent a good chunk of my life on and around man-made lakes and have never seen this before.

I guess the CoE really are an unseen council of dark wizards that feed off the negative emotions that come from a dock-building permit being denied over 1/2in on the overall height of the structure.

Edit: I have legit no idea what circumstances govern when they drop that logo on things.

18 Character Limit fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 20, 2016

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

18 Character Limit posted:

Edit: I have legit no idea what circumstances govern when they drop that logo on things.

Maybe it's only where drunk rednecks are less likely to fire homemade projectiles at your dam because you made them take down that pontoon-boat seawall across the cove.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

They built at least a few castles.

There are several in the DC area as part of the Washington Aqueduct that house pumps and other machinery. That is at the Georgetown Reservoir.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Ahh yes, cinderblocks. Perfect material for a castle!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Ahh yes, cinderblocks. Perfect material for a castle!

But you can fill the voids with sand. It makes them more resilient against trebuchet projectiles.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think that castle is cute. What would otherwise have been a boring cube of CMU's, they put a little fun into it and made it into their castle logo. I wouldn't want to be surrounded by poo poo like that but a little dash of whimsy into boring infrastructural architecture can be a delight sometimes.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

It looks like its made of paper mache

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Polio Vax Scene posted:

It looks like its made of paper mache

Papier mâché? How DARE you speak French to me.

Just gonna leave this standard "some christian org sending unqualified volunteers to build things in another country" pic here, because it happened to be sent to me recently. I think their book may have been missing a few pages here and there.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Motronic posted:

Just gonna leave this standard "some christian org sending unqualified volunteers to build things in another country" pic here, because it happened to be sent to me recently. I think their book may have been missing a few pages here and there.

ObLigatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFAvOcuJyHY&t=65s

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Motronic posted:

Where's Jimmy Carter?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/mould-and-fungus-push-residents-out-of-dangerous-apartment-complex-20161219-gtefbb.html

euuuu

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Green mold inside a house and not on food is a new one for me, I must admit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Suspect Bucket posted:

Green mold inside a house and not on food is a new one for me, I must admit.
I think (hope) it's moss or lichen. It could be algae but that raises even more questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Motronic posted:

ugh, I did that once in the late 90's.

You send a bunch of high school kids to Tijuana to make them feel good about themselves, it's a miracle any of those houses actually get built. From first hand experience, I actually worked at the easiest site, and a wandering concrete mixer gave us half of our foundation, and I think it's a miracle that even that "house" got built.