Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did the game ever give a reason for Noctis not being able to cross small gaps in dungeons with blink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was because of *shuffles papers and coughs noisily*

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

exploded mummy posted:

You can manually delete then in the Archives section of the main menu.

Oh perfect, thanks. I definitely saved a lot of terrible ones when I started playing.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Deified Data posted:

Did the game ever give a reason for Noctis not being able to cross small gaps in dungeons with blink?

Tetsuya Nomura: "Hey guys, check out this cool trailer I put together that shows the protagonist teleporting all over the place at will!"
Level designers: "You motherfucker."

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A casual "you can only use it when your life's in danger" would have sufficed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

But you can use it when running around.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I kinda missed the Gladio chat and I'm at Chapter 14 but my issue(s) with the game involving this are mostly that Lunafreya dying has basically zero emotional impact compared to a character like Aeris, to use the first example that comes to mind. I think not having her in the party at any given point (probably due to the development issues) hurts because you see a few cutscenes of her overall and she doesn't really say or do all that much that develops her personality beyond robotic, "destined" actions. Iris or (especially) Aranea are more interesting. Other than the political reasons, the attitude Noctis has throughout the game about Luna is kind of hit or miss. Gladio could easily be seen as an rear end about it after she dies, but at the same time there's some weird mix of development where he's justified in telling Noct to grow up because the game didn't have all that much Luna development and he hasn't seen her in forever and this is mostly just a political marriage, whereas Noctis shows a level of concern that acts as if she was more involved in the main story.

The main quest also feels really short compared to a number of the other entries, particularly 7-10. Fortunately we're in an era where content left out for various reasons can be added in (albeit at our expense) but the main story could have been much longer and chapter 13 really is a bit of a slog until the last 20 minutes and the longest one by a wide margin. It's not a bad game but after I'm totally done with the main story I'll need to kind of look back to get a better feeling.

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 19, 2016

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This is post that is related to FFXV.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 19, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lol dare

One of my favorite moments in this game was Prompto turning in his seat and saying "Noct. I need a photo with a chocobo. Right now.". Honest to God, I had only just left Wiz ranch in the car ten seconds prior. You couldn't do that when we were there, buddy?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

triple sulk posted:

I kinda missed the Gladio chat and I'm at Chapter 14 but my issue(s) with the game involving this are mostly that Lunafreya dying has basically zero emotional impact compared to a character like Aeris, to use the first example that comes to mind. I think not having her in the party at any given point (probably due to the development issues) hurts because you see a few cutscenes of her overall and she doesn't really say or do all that much that develops her personality beyond robotic, "destined" actions. Iris or (especially) Aranea are more interesting. Other than the political reasons, the attitude Noctis has throughout the game about Luna is kind of hit or miss. Gladio could easily be seen as an rear end about it after she dies, but at the same time there's some weird mix of development where he's justified in telling Noct to grow up because the game didn't have all that much Luna development and he hasn't seen her in forever and this is mostly just a political marriage, whereas Noctis shows a level of concern that acts as if she was more involved in the main story.

Same impression I had, more or less. The shame of it is that I thought Luna was a really strong character for the limited screentime she got. She's the classic demure "stand in place, hands clasped" JRPG maiden archetype, but pairs it with a give-no-fucks approach to her own self-preservation that was really compelling. Everything she did in Altissia, from casually pushing aside the bevy of machineguns pointed at her to telling Leviathan to suck it up and accept her terms - or even the stuff she did in Kingsglaive, where she single-handedly downed an enemy aircraft or duped a man into lighting himself on fire - was A+ material, and I wish we could've gotten more of her.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I think with Luna whether they intended it or not, part of what that story beat ends up conveying is that Noctis is receiving a harsh wake-up call; she was a distant figure, and his best friends and others - not just Ignis, but Gladio, who continues to do his duty and stay with Noct when he could be protecting his sister during a time of war - have also made sacrifices on his behalf. This doesn't diminish his feelings for her, which are genuine, or she wouldn't be in the ending, but there's a sense that Noctis hasn't fully internalized how precious his friends are quite yet because he's been worrying exclusively about getting to Luna and then about her death.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

lol dare

One of my favorite moments in this game was Prompto turning in his seat and saying "Noct. I need a photo with a chocobo. Right now.". Honest to God, I had only just left Wiz ranch in the car ten seconds prior. You couldn't do that when we were there, buddy?

Prompto: Hey Noct, let's get closer to <landmark> to get a photo!
Noctis: Sure!

*parks car*
Prompto: Aw, do we HAVE to waaaaalk?!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Prompto: Hey Noct, let's get closer to <landmark> to get a photo!
Noctis: Sure!

*parks car*
Prompto: Aw, do we HAVE to waaaaalk?!
Prompto: "This lighting's no good!"

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

*Get's down to 0 hp
*Walks over to Ignis
Ignis: Gladio, Noct needs help!

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

wizard on a water slide posted:

Yeah, I think with Luna whether they intended it or not, part of what that story beat ends up conveying is that Noctis is receiving a harsh wake-up call; she was a distant figure, and his best friends and others - not just Ignis, but Gladio, who continues to do his duty and stay with Noct when he could be protecting his sister during a time of war - have also made sacrifices on his behalf. This doesn't diminish his feelings for her, which are genuine, or she wouldn't be in the ending, but there's a sense that Noctis hasn't fully internalized how precious his friends are quite yet because he's been worrying exclusively about getting to Luna and then about her death.

I definitely got the feeling that this was what they were going for, they just didn't execute it as well as they could have. Also the "I'm out of here, won't tell you why unless you buy the DLC" period for Gladio kind of detracts the whole "duty" angle for Gladios (for now, maybe the DLC will explain it better). I do think they at least made an effort to give the characters flaws and motivations a little above and beyond standard JRPG fodder even if the storytelling doesn't live up to it at times.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

*Get's down to 0 hp
*Walks over to Ignis
Ignis: Gladio, Noct needs help!

You expect him to touch you? With his perfect chef hands?!

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think what gets me about Gladio's freakout is that the general idea of the toll of the journey gradually breaking down the camaraderie you've built up with the boys in the first half of the game (Particularly if you spent a bunch of time side-questin') is a perfectly legitimate choice for the story to take, but as it is it just comes off a bit weird. It even would parallel how Cid talks about how he and Reg never really connected again after they finished their own journey in the backstory, and could be meaningful if it were handled a little better.

I'm not actually done with the story yet though, so I'd better finish it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gravy Jones posted:

I definitely got the feeling that this was what they were going for, they just didn't execute it as well as they could have. Also the "I'm out of here, won't tell you why unless you buy the DLC" period for Gladio kind of detracts the whole "duty" angle for Gladios (for now, maybe the DLC will explain it better). I do think they at least made an effort to give the characters flaws and motivations a little above and beyond standard JRPG fodder even if the storytelling doesn't live up to it at times.

I agree it's definitely mangled in its execution. I enjoyed the (happy) ending though and think it fits with that interpretation; Noctis sobers up, proves that he's a true friend and a worthy king, and is posthumously rewarded for his sacrifice by getting to see his lady again.

Honestly I feel like a lot of FF games have the same problem of a kernel of better storytelling than most JRPGs if not most games period, which gets lost as a result of producer interference, creative differences, and spotty localization/acting. FF10 and 12 could've had outstanding game stories too, imo.

Baku fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 19, 2016

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Gladio's freakout fails more due to development time then anything else.

Even with the "seven days later...." the boss battle you just left lasted longer than the amount of time you had to recover and process.

Worse off is you wake up and are concerned about ignis, for him to try to play it off. I mean you ask about him before luna, and you've been out for days

It'd be stronger in a game with choices that matter because it could have been how he treated you if you didn't care/ ask teammates etc, or have had a constant series of responses that went against the team (which actually ARE available in game and have no impact)

but when I'm babying ignis and walking through an entire dungeon, including party members who can't follow you in vertical spaces (staircase) only for you to yell at me when i warp strike, it comes off as stupid, not scolding.

it's like when you have a scripted part in an rpg where the enemy is overwhelming you, but you're actually beating them all in 1 hit.

It's a part of the game that'd be stronger with choices.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Maybe it's just because chapter 13 overshadowed it but everything about the train segments were really weird and felt half-baked. Multiple "wait around on the train" bits were just boring as all hell and added nothing to the game and the locations you visit during that bit were just inconsequential.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

people compared the game to MGSV and I agree with that notion in that chapters 9-13 = Part 2.

MGSV's main frustration to me though was solely the Sahalanthropous final batle which sucked rear end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It's weird how Chapter 9 is little more than a "TODO" sticker given that it is probably the most far-reaching and consequential part of the plot. Especially since the trailers showed a huge running battle of tremendous scope that appeared to have been fully implemented, and there's even an in depth tactical discussion of the upcoming fight describing all sorts of things that never actually happen.

The squad splitting up before things start to go down totally paints the developers into a narrative corner too. If that hadn't happened then they could at least patch the other 80% of that chapter in later down the line, but the way it's set up right now they really don't have any scope to do anything that interesting with it. At best you could have Noct warping around the buildings fighting enemies as everything collapses into the ocean before the Leviathan fight, yeah, but solo fight mechanics are not that interesting.

What we got was one tiny little corridor with two sets of five trash mobs. And this great big climactic battle with Leviathan simply consists of holding down Circle for two minutes straight to make the boss' health bar slowly deplete. Seriously??

The dream-slash-vision scene where Noct says goodbye to Luna was wonderfully done and could have been an incredibly forceful emotional gut punch. Seriously one of the best scenes in the whole series. This too is utterly squandered as we were never really given any reason to give a poo poo about Luna. There were no shared experiences between Noctis and Luna other than some non-sequitur childhood conversation flashbacks. At least Aeris had that Golden Saucer date scene to bludgeon some emotional attachment into the player before she gets killed off. Not to mention her being an integral part of the group for the entirety of the story up until that point.

The game is still very good despite that, though. Certainly leagues better than FFXIII where nobody's actions made the slightest bit of sense from the first moment of the game til the last. It's got so much unfulfilled potential, though. I really hope they do some sort of director's cut further down the line where they seriously recut the flow of the game and realize that potential because it could be goddamn amazing. That is, if Squenix doesn't go toot toot all aboard the mobile gaming train instead.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

It's weird how Chapter 9 is little more than a "TODO" sticker given that it is probably the most far-reaching and consequential part of the plot. Especially since the trailers showed a huge running battle of tremendous scope that appeared to have been fully implemented

Key word being "appeared." It was a CGI mockup meant to resemble actual gameplay. I wouldn't be surprised if the tiny fight we had there was just meant to be a concession to it.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
If they can pull off the Adamantoise fight and they can pull off the splendor of that area outside of an active battle (mostly, the skybox looks crap) then they could have made it work :colbert:

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 19, 2016

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

What's the point of the "Train" option at campsites? I did it once way back when I started and Gladio kicked my rear end because he had the Masamune equipped and I had lovely starting weapons/skills. I haven't done it since.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cowman posted:

What's the point of the "Train" option at campsites? I did it once way back when I started and Gladio kicked my rear end because he had the Masamune equipped and I had lovely starting weapons/skills. I haven't done it since.

They're just optional challenges. You get AP for completing them.

vvv The postgame one rewards a Blue Diamond Bracelet.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 19, 2016

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Cowman posted:

You get a small bit of AP, and if you beat all the levels, you get a gold bangle.

I think there's only 4 or 5?

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

RatHat posted:

They're just optional challenges. You get AP for completing them.

vvv The postgame one rewards a Blue Diamond Bracelet.

Is it worth messing with them and should I give the character I train against the shittiest equipment to make it easier? Like I said, I got my rear end handed to me the first time I did it and never bothered and I just assumed it was because of the fact that (at the time) Gladio had the best weapon in my inventory.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cowman posted:

Is it worth messing with them and should I give the character I train against the shittiest equipment to make it easier? Like I said, I got my rear end handed to me the first time I did it and never bothered and I just assumed it was because of the fact that (at the time) Gladio had the best weapon in my inventory.

I don't think they take their stats or equipment from your party so it shouldn't matter. Do the ones you can beat, it's free AP. The later ones are really hard but you can probably cheese them with strong magic.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
They don't use what you gave them. I fought one with Prompto in it and he had an auto crossbow instead of a gravity well II and thank god for that

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I finally decided to actually start advancing the story-line against the advice of literally every single person I have talked to about the game.

What button do I press to call-off my engagement to Moonlady so I can marry the more-armored Not-Eclair Highwind instead? Is it in like an alt control scheme or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I finally decided to actually start advancing the story-line against the advice of literally every single person I have talked to about the game.

What button do I press to call-off my engagement to Moonlady so I can marry the more-armored Not-Eclair Highwind instead? Is it in like an alt control scheme or something?

Aranea would laugh in Noctis' face and then pants him.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Aranea would laugh in Noctis' face and then pants him.

Deservedly so

slev
Apr 6, 2009

So is the adamantoise fight supposed to be me warp striking its giant eye for 30 minutes

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I just finished the awesome chapter 6 Aranea fight so I just wanna know, do I have more fights like that to look forward to? Is she a recurring boss? Because she's awesome and her dialogue hinted to at least one more battle. YOU CAN'T HIDE IN THE SKY FROM ME

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I loving loved whenever Noct and pals would joke around in combat situations and crack puns and stuff. It was exactly what I wanted from this game and they delivered.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Artelier posted:

I just finished the awesome chapter 6 Aranea fight so I just wanna know, do I have more fights like that to look forward to? Is she a recurring boss? Because she's awesome and her dialogue hinted to at least one more battle. YOU CAN'T HIDE IN THE SKY FROM ME

she fills in for Gladius for a chapter and then randomly joins your party when you're adventuring in the open world

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The GIG posted:

They don't use what you gave them. I fought one with Prompto in it and he had an auto crossbow instead of a gravity well II and thank god for that

Wait till you get to the final one :shepicide:

Gologle posted:

I loving loved whenever Noct and pals would joke around in combat situations and crack puns and stuff. It was exactly what I wanted from this game and they delivered.

There's something very endearing about hearing Noct audibly cringe at a terrible pun.

Sapozhnik posted:

It's weird how Chapter 9 is little more than a "TODO" sticker given that it is probably the most far-reaching and consequential part of the plot. Especially since the trailers showed a huge running battle of tremendous scope that appeared to have been fully implemented, and there's even an in depth tactical discussion of the upcoming fight describing all sorts of things that never actually happen.

The squad splitting up before things start to go down totally paints the developers into a narrative corner too. If that hadn't happened then they could at least patch the other 80% of that chapter in later down the line, but the way it's set up right now they really don't have any scope to do anything that interesting with it. At best you could have Noct warping around the buildings fighting enemies as everything collapses into the ocean before the Leviathan fight, yeah, but solo fight mechanics are not that interesting.

What we got was one tiny little corridor with two sets of five trash mobs. And this great big climactic battle with Leviathan simply consists of holding down Circle for two minutes straight to make the boss' health bar slowly deplete. Seriously??

The dream-slash-vision scene where Noct says goodbye to Luna was wonderfully done and could have been an incredibly forceful emotional gut punch. Seriously one of the best scenes in the whole series. This too is utterly squandered as we were never really given any reason to give a poo poo about Luna. There were no shared experiences between Noctis and Luna other than some non-sequitur childhood conversation flashbacks. At least Aeris had that Golden Saucer date scene to bludgeon some emotional attachment into the player before she gets killed off. Not to mention her being an integral part of the group for the entirety of the story up until that point.

The game is still very good despite that, though. Certainly leagues better than FFXIII where nobody's actions made the slightest bit of sense from the first moment of the game til the last. It's got so much unfulfilled potential, though. I really hope they do some sort of director's cut further down the line where they seriously recut the flow of the game and realize that potential because it could be goddamn amazing. That is, if Squenix doesn't go toot toot all aboard the mobile gaming train instead.
I genuinely like the plot in this game but a lot of stuff they went for was very ambitious and lost a lot of its impact thanks to the development issues forcing them to dial back the execution. It seems pretty obvious to me that the World of Ruin was supposed to be explorable, and like, an entire second version of the world map to explore in a 3D open world game? That's aiming insanely high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Altissia is so loving annoying to navigate for hunts.

• Locked thread