Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Geemer posted:

From the gif thread, seems like it'd fit in here better.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress does the Xerox Colorqube piece of poo poo we have at work insist on presenting only Letter to Windows and thus scaling all pages printed on A4 (the only paper size we use) down to completely gently caress up any label printing requirements and also anything that needs proper alignment otherwise? IT won't even touch the issue. :suicide:

Check Windows locale settings. It makes a lot of assumptions about paper sizes based on language settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Geemer posted:

Cool, thanks for confirming that the entire range is hot poo poo.

This is especially appropriate given how the things actually print.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I think I've run into a new curveball with my financial industry job: budgets are as close to zero as it gets. As in, they're refusing or stalling consistently on paying for hardware to replace hardware on site that has failed, like cisco routers that supply internet to an entire branch. We're replacing things with emergency stock on hand. Is this a q4 thing?

:psyduck:

This isn't normal, is it? Please tell me no.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Really? That's status quo where I work. If you go to a supervisor for help, you'd better have done your research first or we'll just laugh and tell you to search the knowledge base first. If it's consistently happening it goes on that person's quarterly review too.

If they can't figure out after repeated experiences that they don't get help unless they have the answers to x, y and z, they probably won't be very good at troubleshooting anyway.

I think I was unclear. If I have to tell someone to do the very rudiments of their job because they aren't doing it, I better not hear any lip about how they don't need to be told -- they forfeited that right when they didn't do those basics.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

guppy posted:

You can always tell them that it's because they aren't asking those questions.

If they literally report to you that's some pretty loving rude behavior.

I did, and they are.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think I've run into a new curveball with my financial industry job: budgets are as close to zero as it gets. As in, they're refusing or stalling consistently on paying for hardware to replace hardware on site that has failed, like cisco routers that supply internet to an entire branch. We're replacing things with emergency stock on hand. Is this a q4 thing?

if there's no money left in the budget, there's no money left - though in my job generally you have a huge crunch around aug/nov as everyone scales back to not blow their budget then crazy spending in december when they realize they cut back too far. in your case youll probably just have to manage until january. that said tho new hardware is a capital expenditure, generally it is easier to spend then opex, maybe make sure you are capitalizing? that way the hardware is paid as depreciation rather then all upfront

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ErIog posted:

Check Windows locale settings. It makes a lot of assumptions about paper sizes based on language settings.
Why there isn't an "English(ISO)" locale is still beyond me.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Sounds more like your department budgeted poorly or had some other project that sucked up your q4 money.

One of the things I loved about working in the financial industry was having large, comfortable budgets without too much teeth gnashing about the cost of technology.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

DigitalMocking posted:

Sounds more like your department budgeted poorly or had some other project that sucked up your q4 money.

One of the things I loved about working in the financial industry was having large, comfortable budgets without too much teeth gnashing about the cost of technology.

'We can no longer renew the warranty on our ESXi hosts. Here is a quote for 75k, please also note that our SAN will need to be replaced Q1, no later than Q2.'
"Ok."
:homebrew:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SeaborneClink posted:

'We can no longer renew the warranty on our ESXi hosts. Here is a quote for 75k, please also note that our SAN will need to be replaced Q1, no later than Q2.'
"Ok."
:homebrew:

Most warranty extensions are just way too much and you should replace stuff before it's up. I can buy a 7 year warranty at purchase for less than extending a 3 year another 2 years. Just get the 7, say you got a 5 and replace at 6 if you are in a place that wants to be that tight.If you can actually replace every 3 years, get the 5 year, stuff happens and it's not much more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah but when you're busy it's easier to just extend the warranty than to take on another project. Ask me about our decade+ old Cisco 4510r with pre-power blades.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

DigitalMocking posted:

This is my favorite thing about working in finance IT. "So you need $800k to set up a full lab environment and licensing of this monitoring software? Sure."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We've spent $250k/year on AS400 consultants every year for about 5 years, but no we can't hire another programmer because we don't have enough work.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Even with some crazy math you could justify paying someone 100k at 50% utilization and come out ahead of that 250k consultant.

And the real budget would reflect a lot more room for hardware improvements.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Even with some crazy math you could justify paying someone 100k at 50% utilization and come out ahead of that 250k consultant.

And the real budget would reflect a lot more room for hardware improvements.

Don't a lot of places budget consultants under CapEx, while employees are OpEx?

I understand it's ultimately the same company, but some budgets are easier to get additional funds into.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I have a separate GL for consultants, tied into opex. If consultants are coming out of capex I can understand not getting rid of them if opex is maxed.

But 5 years is plenty of time to adjust budgets if they wanted to make room for an employee.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah its a bunch of bullshit. Consultant costs don't get the same scrutiny as hiring a new employee. We've grown enough to hire 3 new HR people and 2 new admin services, but IT? Na.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Oh, I'm not arguing it's a good thing at all.

It's just an accounting trick departments use to fill their headcount with "not real employees, see? check the budget!"

And IT and IS keep getting asked to *reduce* their capital budget because "why do you keep buying equipment all the time? Can't you get stuff that will last 5 or 10 years?"

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
Question: is ITIL really a thing? Or is it just verbage vomit like Sigma 6?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

RadicalR posted:

Yes

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

RadicalR posted:

ITIL is justification to implement good management when the company doesn't want to voluntarily participate in good management.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also you can get a cert in it in like two days

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

notwithoutmyanus posted:

We're replacing things with emergency stock on hand. Is this a q4 thing?

Does your fiscal year start Jan 1? Do you have bonuses based on being at or under budget?

You might be able to sneak around that by ordering equipment this month using Net 30 terms, that way your accounting group won't touch it until January (and the new budget :10bux:).

upsidedown
Dec 30, 2008

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Does your fiscal year start Jan 1? Do you have bonuses based on being at or under budget?

You might be able to sneak around that by ordering equipment this month using Net 30 terms, that way your accounting group won't touch it until January (and the new budget :10bux:).

Costs are usually recognised at the invoice date.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

ITIL is justification to implement good management when the company doesn't want to voluntarily participate in good management.

I just got an ITIL cert and it's half this, but it also describes a sane way to structure an IT service desk, which is nice.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

DigitalMocking posted:

Agreed on the other projects impact, auditors came in and they used it as justification to burn at least half a mil on Forescout, which hosed everyone else in IT. We're still a small biz mentality and yet a giant company with old school management who don't like to spend, weirdly. They should/can't afford not to, but they have been this way for the entire year I've been here. They ration off single t1s for sites in an environment where it's not even enough bandwidth for the sites to function. Literally it doesn't make sense aside from legitimately incompetent management at almost every level up the chain (exception being c levels). Biz makes close enough to round up to 50B a year and yet penny pinches on 10-30 grand purchases.

already applying elsewhere because gently caress these people

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Dec 18, 2016

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
I spent half the week trying to figure out why I couldn't get NTP working in my little private cloud test lab, and the other admin and I were talking about it. He wondered what the big deal was, so I explained how time sync in a virtualized environment is pretty important and went back to trying to figure the problem out. A day later the govt PM stops at my cube and says he needs to apologize.

Apparently he was mentally scoffing at my insistence on the importance of NTP, but he and the other admin spent most of the day after that trying to figure out why an AlienVault sensor at a remote building wasn't working. Turns out it was more than 11 hours out of sync, and the moment the admin pointed it to the correct NTP pool everything started working just fine. It was nice to hear, and lessened the disappointment I was feeling that I was getting my rear end kicked by a simple networking issue. It bugged me so much that when I got home I spent a few hours watching some more Youtube videos, and I'm pretty sure the problem is that I sucked as an admin - turns out you actually do have to give a VLAN an IP address and default gateway. I spent hours reading the loving documents on Dell S4048-ON switch commands and configuration, and nowhere did it point out that my moronic assumptions were wrong.

Maybe now I can get NTP working - I was starting to consider I should find a job more in line with my apparent skills, like a fast food worker or bus boy.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Daylen Drazzi posted:

I spent half the week trying to figure out why I couldn't get NTP working in my little butt test lab, and the other admin and I were talking about it. He wondered what the big deal was, so I explained how time sync in a virtualized environment is pretty important and went back to trying to figure the problem out. A day later the govt PM stops at my cube and says he needs to apologize.
So here's a fun fact about NTP that I just learned: It's pretty much entirely developed and supported by one guy out of his own savings. A friend shared this article with me and it was a real eye-opener. I knew the Internet was made mostly of duct tape and paperclips, but this one was surprising.

Edit: Yes, I am donating to the Network Time Foundation this Christmas.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 19, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Aunt Beth posted:

So here's a fun fact about NTP that I just learned: It's pretty much entirely developed and supported by one guy out of his own savings. A friend shared this article with me and it was a real eye-opener. I knew the Internet was made mostly of duct tape and paperclips, but this one was surprising.

Bloody hell.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Just donated to them (through the ISC). We need clocks that work.

http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Main/DonatingToTheProject

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aunt Beth posted:

This link doesn't work for me :/

E: it doesn't work in chrome. My chrome is so borked >.<

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Aunt Beth posted:

It's not like they're the only ntp daemon out there. There's also OpenNTP, from the same people who brought you OpenSSH.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

RFC2324 posted:

This link doesn't work for me :/

E: it doesn't work in chrome. My chrome is so borked >.<

Disable AdBlock

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

anthonypants posted:

It's not like they're the only ntp daemon out there. There's also OpenNTP, from the same people who brought you OpenSSH.

Which, judging by the article, would suffer from the same problem, sooner or later. This isn't a matter of "this one protocol isn't good enough", it's a matter of "open source infrastructural poo poo that isn't sexy gets neglected because nobody wants to pay for it".

Though I do want to know more about how this gets printed without further elaboration in a five-page article with a savvy audience:

quote:

Stenn told us his workload got a little heavier in October 2014, when Google security team member Chris Ries notified him that he had discovered a security risk in NTP. It was a buffer overflow in NTP autokey, the public key/private key authentication system used to verify downloaded code. Although no one was known to have used it yet, the vulnerability had the potential to let a hacker launch malicious code remotely through an NTP server.

Stenn said Google previously had made clear to him that it will publish vulnerabilities 90 days after notifying the party responsible for the code. Stenn felt the clock had started ticking, and he didn't ask for a waiver. He set to work, putting in 16 to 18 hours a day for 10 weeks to correct the defect and get a new release out before the 90 days were up. It would be upsetting to all NTP users to have a vulnerability aired with no fix in hand.

To fix a buffer overflow, really?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Data Graham posted:

To fix a buffer overflow, really?
You never know what dependencies were there, what downstream had to be rearchitected, etc, to fix that issue.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I realize, that's why I'd like to have heard a little more. I'd assume readers of this article all know software development and that paragraph sounds like it was written for people who think coders are wizards.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

MF_James posted:

He was the best problem solver and programmer we ever had. Sadly, my son ripped his head off last night while taking a bath. :(

You're giving me flashbacks.

notwithoutmyanus posted:

I think it depends on who you work for. Smaller poo poo show companies have a tendency to forget what 'critical infrastructure' means.
At my last job there was literally NO money in the IT budget, besides our salaries, for about 2 years.
When smaller poo poo broke we just got the stink-eye from the C-levels and an implied "well maybe if you weren't getting paid so much..." (I was making $33,000 as a "systems engineer.")

The problem solved itself though. A couple of days before some investors were supposed to tour the operations, a bunch of core switches mysteriously "failed" and our NAS had a catastrophic "8 disk failure".
Oh yeah and our phone servers caught fire.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 19, 2016

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Super Soaker Party! posted:

This is especially appropriate given how the things actually print.

If you ever want to see a repair cost up around replacement cost, bump one of those things while the ink in the printhead is still liquid. I had to clean one of those up, cost 'em about $800 in parts, and then the thing died again a month later. Ink spills kill those things.

Just saying.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Y'know what's not a good time to call me in order to give me an update on a client Incident? During a funeral. A funeral you knew I was going to.

Thank god I had my phone on silent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Aunt Beth posted:

Lol this guy is a moron. He has the richest companies in the world by the balls and he lets them use his labor for free.

• Locked thread