Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
BW really was the best mainline game based on story and characterization. Meeting all of the gym leaders beforehand out in the world and all of them (except the first one) storming the fortress with you at the end was pretty sweet. Too bad the Pokémon distribution was poo poo.

Then they fixed the mechanics side of the house for BW2, but the story was generic boring whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I bred my first 6IV mon of this generation!

it was a castform :negative:

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

B/W was absolutely the best gen for me.
150 new friends and none of the old crap around to dominate the encounter tables (hi SuMo). Sign me up.
Pokemon plots are never good, but the gym leaders had personality, the Team Plasma dynamic was awesome (evil people manipulating well-intentioned stupid people) and I liked the rivals. Well Cherin but ok but Bianca was just this sweet pile of dopey coping with hitting her ceiling way earlier than you.

Oh, and an amazing correction of DPP's fire-type woes. The only downside to B/W for me was too many of the new Pokemon were analogs of old ones, but since no gen since Gen 1 had 150 new pokemon it was to be expected.

B/W 2 reintroduced the old guard while keeping a good mix of old and new. The plot was bonkers in a kinda fun stupid way and the rival is such a spaz that I can only hate him a little.
And I will take the PWT/Black Tower over the battle nouns any day of the week. Black 2 is probably my favorite Pokemon game.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 19, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

gen 5 is my least favorite gen outside of monster designs. no sorry it's 3 actually. but then 5

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I had no idea there were people out there who like Vanilluxe.

It's a cold, tasty friend

Crosspeice posted:

It'll be a Pokken port, or a new game done for the Switch. I doubt Pokemon will divide their playerbase by putting a new mainline game on a console that's only just come out compared to the 60 million units of the 3DS.

Also Pokemon games really like having two screens, which the Switch doesn't have. We also have no idea if Z was ever going to be a thing, I'm guessing no, since SM aren't games that seemed rush to try and get a game out for the 20th when Z fell through.

The Switch is replacing both the Wii U and 3DS

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's a cold, tasty friend

I'm really curious how they are going to handle saves on the Switch for Pokemon games. Obviously its all conjecture now, but will we finally get multiple save slots? God I hope so.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Dienes posted:

I'm really curious how they are going to handle saves on the Switch for Pokemon games. Obviously its all conjecture now, but will we finally get multiple save slots? God I hope so.

I want to believe but I don't think there was much stopping them from allowing additional save files on an SD card.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Boy I just love losing in Battle Royal because of a Focus Sash :shepface:

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 19, 2016

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

no cellphones are

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
my favorite Pokémon is snorlax

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
wheres my pokemon conquest remake

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I have too many favorite Steel and Ghost types (aka the best types) so I couldn't choose between them.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

im bold enough to say that pokemon conquest was a bad game

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I was always curious how this turned out, is there a let's play of it?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

It's really not.

Ruggington posted:

I agree, but I liked it enough that I would like a sequel that fixes the first game's problems.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Ruggington posted:

I agree but it was cool and kinda fun. also good kick rear end sprites

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Conquest has some nice sprites. They kind of remind me of Fire Emblem character artwork.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

I agree, but I liked it enough that I would like a sequel that fixes the first game's problems.

Tired Moritz posted:

I would kill for a good pokemon SRPG with those sprites

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Crosspeice posted:

It's really not.

It absolutely is. Iwata was talking about combining their handheld and portable development onto one console before he died and Nintendo's been working on a portable console since the gamecube. They are absolutely not making another 3DS or other portable.

The 3DS might stick around for a bit like the GBA did after the DS launched but the Switch is the successor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

less laughter posted:

This is awesome, GF should make it a third form for Lycanroc in Pokémon Stars.

I'd settle for making Midnight Form at all good.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Pokemon Conquest isn't the best ever, but it's probably the most out-there use of the IP that's actually at least passably good

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pokemon Black and White's 150 new monsters were really cool until I realized half of them were just a different flavor of route trash.

That being said yeah I agree it has the second best plot in the series though that isn't a high bar to clear. Shame that BW2 kinda fucks that up.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
i think this gen might have the best mons

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Buzzwole is constantly flexing even in death. This makes him the best mon and Sun and Moon the best new game.

Truly a mon we can all look up too.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Pokemon Black and White's 150 new monsters were really cool until I realized half of them were just a different flavor of route trash.

That being said yeah I agree it has the second best plot in the series though that isn't a high bar to clear. Shame that BW2 kinda fucks that up.

all pokemon are route trash

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

my cold ally has a giant forehead

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
which gen added Skymin? that's my favorite one

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Countblanc posted:

4. Platinum specifically

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Tired Moritz posted:

I loved how the major characters all integrated their signature Pokemon into their portrait and it changed as they evolved.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Stop singing yourself to death bitch.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i believe skyrim was released on the previous generation of consoles

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I was talking with a friend the other day and she seemed real mad that gen 5 was my favourite gen.

All new Pokemon with some of the best designs in the series, a great set of gym leaders, good rivals, Pokemon World Tournament, wild double battles, introduction of reusable TMs, introduction of triple battles, off the wall plot....

She argued that because the bad designs in 5th gen are the worst in the series, that 5th gen is bad as a whole and that having analogs of old Pokemon was bad and that Pokemon evolving so late was bad.

Personally, I would rather run into Woobats and Roggenrolas than Zubats and Geodudes, but the late evolutions in 5th gen is still something they should fix. They should have at least had a middle stage for stuff like Volcarona and Braviary.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

:yeah:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
this gen has the best legendaries anyway

even the palette swapped legendaries look pretty unique

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I caught a Totodile in a Beast Ball. Seems like few people on the spreadsheet have them, and a lot of folks want them. Gimme a holler if you want one from me, or anything else on my list. I will take any of your Beast Ball 'mons that I don't have in return. No worries if you don't have anything I don't. I'll also take random trash or breed-jects or surprise eggs.

Nessa posted:

I was talking with a friend the other day and she seemed real mad that gen 5 was my favourite gen.

All new Pokemon with some of the best designs in the series, a great set of gym leaders, good rivals, Pokemon World Tournament, wild double battles, introduction of reusable TMs, introduction of triple battles, off the wall plot....

She argued that because the bad designs in 5th gen are the worst in the series, that 5th gen is bad as a whole and that having analogs of old Pokemon was bad and that Pokemon evolving so late was bad.

Personally, I would rather run into Woobats and Roggenrolas than Zubats and Geodudes, but the late evolutions in 5th gen is still something they should fix. They should have at least had a middle stage for stuff like Volcarona and Braviary.

You have correct opinions and your friend does not. I think Gen 5 contains most the most of my favorite Pokemon out of any gen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Nessa posted:

I mean I'll never tell you you're wrong because it's not my call to make but her points aren't exactly wrong about the terrible evolution levels and how a good chunk of mons are just geodude but not. (Though won't agree that the designs were bad, a good chunk of Gen 5 mons owned even if they were horrifically unoriginal in some cases)

I kind of want to replay it actually because while I liked it I see posts about the gym leaders doing stuff and I remember thinking the same at the time, but in hindsight I only really recall them hanging around their respective cities at most and not much else until the end game where they all ran into a room and stood around.