Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Paulocaust posted:

Boogie is a dipshit rear end in a top hat that deserves what he gets

Mmm hmm. Mmm hmm.

But have you considered the opposite of this is actually the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The thing about Zach Lavine is I think he WAS a bad player initially. He certainly was in college and was massively overrated as basketball player, and anyone who watched the Pac-12 that year could testify to. The Timberwolves did an incredible job at developing him and deserve credit for it.

dokmo posted:

That may be true. I mean, what really matters is that lebron wanted the trade to happen and it did, so it's a good trade if it keeps him happy. I was not aware of the Cavs willingness to pay so much lux tax, which also makes the trade look better from a 2014 perspective. I still think that Wiggins would he a much more productive player playing off the ball, but even if he wasn't you could still trade him for a shooting four like Ibaka or something. I still think trading a #1 pick for anyone that doesn't have James in his name is probably a bad thing, but I could be wrong.

I have a lot more respect for Dan Gilbert for being willing to pay up, especially after reading posts for three years that the Heat had unlimited money and then they cheaped out the first chance they got.

Paulocaust posted:

He's been dirty as gently caress this year and I've lost a lot of sympathy for his situation because of it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

EvanTH posted:

At some point the advanced stats definitely won the thread over to the "rookies almost always suck" angle and now it's common wisdom, I don't remember if the victory was complete by the time that trade went down. It might have been contemporaneous because they had to make the case a bunch just because of that trade? A rookie is almost never better for the actual team trying to Win Now and LeBron was ready to Win Now

I seem to remember people being generally convinced that yeah the dude who just put up the NBA's first 30-30 game since Moses Malone in '82 was better an unproven rookie, but there were questions about Love's defensive ability and how that would relate to a deep playoff run (it was unnecessary worrying, he's one of the greatest perimeter defenders in NBA history since it's the end of the year I will quote the best post I made all year, everyone else should do the same:)

Most rookies suck poo poo on defense anyways so Kevin Love's biggest weakness is a wash

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Blake Griffin is apparently having knee surgery

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Blake Griffin is apparently having knee surgery

You can remove the apparently. I'm doing the procedure. I'm replacing his PCL with a length of ductile graphine(it's a proprietary and more epistolary graphene) silk matrix and I'm also installing a hydraullicly activated kick flex that's wired into his sural communicating branch. But that's privileged information so don't leak it to the wide web

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Whats going on wit Afflalo?

He's been garbage this season and getting less and less playing time because of it and is probably mad he signed an effectively one-year deal

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

The thing about Zach Lavine is I think he WAS a bad player initially. He certainly was in college and was massively overrated as basketball player, and anyone who watched the Pac-12 that year could testify to. The Timberwolves did an incredible job at developing him and deserve credit for it.

I have a lot more respect for Dan Gilbert for being willing to pay up, especially after reading posts for three years that the Heat had unlimited money and then they cheaped out the first chance they got.

He's been dirty as gently caress this year and I've lost a lot of sympathy for his situation because of it.
I agree with you about Boogie playing dirty. I hate that kind of petty bullying stuff. Your team sucks, nobody likes you, you're going to be stuck in sacramento forever because they'll offer you too much money to refuse, take up meditation or something.

It's funny how similar he was to Westbrook, just a really incredible athlete who didn't do much in college. I don't remember off hand but I don't think either of them had good draft metrics, like steal and block rate, guard rebound rate, etc. They were both just long bouncy athletes. I don't think people even realized how fiery and committed Westbrook was. Lavine isn't the same type of person and I think he did at least have a three pointer in college.

Draft super athletic guards recruited by Ben Howland is what I'm saying

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 19, 2016

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/810543666779418624?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

a good and excellent thing. The NBA continues to be the best

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dokmo posted:

In retrospect you're obviously right, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's much more difficult trying to forecast this stuff as it's happening, and I'm asking people to think back to what they thought back then. I think a lot of people are misremembering either their opinions or how confident they were in those opinions. I just know that I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bad idea back then, even though it sure feels like that now.

I dunno I'm pretty sure I said the same thing at the time too, and again after the first year when Love got hurt and people were super down on him and higher on Wiggins than they are now.

Love has been one of the better shooting bigs in the league for a long time, so even if there were some issues as to how he'd handle being more of a supporting role I think it was pretty clear even then that he was the sort of big guy who could work well playing off LeBron as a spot up shooter or pick and pop guy. Those things have always been in his skill set.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 19, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Cavs won a title with Love

Good trade, flags fly forever

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DeimosRising posted:

Hell the odds any given number one overall pick ever becomes as good as Kevin Love are maybe 50/50 and I'm not even inclined to be generous to Love.

The odds are not that good. Kevin Love is already better than the average #1 pick going by WS at least. The 57 guys who've been drafted #1 (and retired) have an average WS of 63.04

Love is at 68.2 right now and might finish with double that. If he finished with about 120 he's better than 85% of the past #1 picks.

Paulocaust posted:

Most NBA/ABA minutes played with zero playoff games:

code:
Player		 MP
Tom Van Arsdale	 28682
Otto Moore	 16893
Geoff Petrie	 16787
Nate Williams	 14869
Greg Monroe	 14595
George Thompson	 14031
DeMarcus Cousins 13968

That isn't basketball. That's Streets of Rage.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZnIWJA0WN0&list=PL0D7D875A11C51ECE&index=1

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

He drafted himself in fantasy last year and got a big head

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Houston news update: James Harden was at the Travis Scott show tonight

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Pop's speech during Tim Duncan's jersey retirement ceremony:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9bmeITda2o

Carrot cake for 20 years.

edit:

https://twitter.com/TheVertical/status/810722784934555649

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 19, 2016

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Rick posted:

Gilbert makes his money in one of the most disgusting ways possible, so it's good that he's being parted with as much of it as possible.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

IanTheM posted:

Gilbert makes his money in one of the most disgusting ways possible, so it's good that he's being parted with as much of it as possible.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Loan sharking ain't that bad, it serves those the system locked out, blame is on the system. When I have money i make loans out too. its like the crowdsourcing banking poo poo really.

No doubt he's a bad person; when you take advantage of people enough to take that much wealth/surplus value, but all rich people are equally guilty.

On Love, I remember most people here liked the trade with the win now argument, and the consensus was that the fit was perfect. some of the doubters were shut down and blame was put on gendo for poisoning Loves perception here, and he was a top 3 WS player or something. Fit wasn't an argument against iirc, people thought it was a great fit, at least in relation to the whole bosh thing.

rockets rulez.

oh yeah, I met with a dude who claims he grew up by Boogie, and been to his house, he's apparently dumb and a blood? dude thinks its Boogies fault his team sucks so i question his bias.

Femur fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Dec 19, 2016

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The Heat were right to cheap out. IIRC they were right on the border of the luxury tax during the big 3 era and expected to have to give max contracts to LeBron, Wade and Bosh as soon as their original deals expired.

Also most people (myself included) didn't think that Love was a good fit next to LeBron and Kyrie.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Name an owner that doesn't have a pile of blood money though :colbert:

They're all various levels of poo poo bags deserving of scorn

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Jeez louise

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Do part owners count?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
From Shea Serrano on Tim Duncan's jersey retirement:

quote:

My third-best guess of what he was doing on his phone: typing a review of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in a notes app to read to himself later on. My second-best guess: He was looking at flight statuses to see what planes were on time and what planes were late (he didn't have any flights booked, he was just curious). My first-best guess: His phone was actually one of those fake phones filled with candy you get at a corner store, and he was just pretending to do something on it because he knew people were looking at him and he wanted to look normal.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feed and grow stronger on Kevin Love chat.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Kevin Love has looked real goddamn good this year. He's healthy, body and mind, and it shows. I like how the cavs decide the first quarter is Klove time.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

From Shea Serrano on Tim Duncan's jersey retirement:

I want to read a Players Tribune article where Tim Duncan rates all of the The Onion articles about him.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

I want to read a Players Tribune article where Tim Duncan rates all of the The Onion articles about him.

The unquestionable #1 is when he unleashes a decade of pent up aggression following a preseason loss, ending his press conference 30 seconds early and audibly sighing while fumbling with the keys of his '92 LeSabre.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

AggressivelyStupid posted:

They're all various levels of poo poo bags deserving of scorn

The Buss family

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Remember the halloween party where Tim Duncan and Tony Parker put on trenchcoats and held shotguns to the guy dressed up as Joey Crawford

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Cleveland Cavaliers are the reigning NBA World Champions and one Kevin Wesley Love is playing at an All Star Level

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

what's wrong with what I said? Our system is based on poo poo we take from the earth, and reputation(goodwill). Gilbert is in the middle of the goodwill side between loan sharks and goldman sachs.

when he builds enough good will, hell be bank of american.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Did news of festus ezeli out for the season get already posted

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Portland catches a break. Only 1 million of his salary next year is guaranteed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Jack's Flow posted:

Has this been posted? Pistons had a players-only meeting, and I guess the point was to call out Reggie Jackson?

http://pistonpowered.com/2016/12/18/detroit-pistons-reach-boiling-point/
Ish Smith spoiled them and now they c an't go back to Reggie's ways

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

dokmo posted:

In retrospect you're obviously right, but what I'm trying to get at is that it's much more difficult trying to forecast this stuff as it's happening, and I'm asking people to think back to what they thought back then. I think a lot of people are misremembering either their opinions or how confident they were in those opinions. I just know that I wasn't the only one who thought it was a bad idea back then, even though it sure feels like that now.

I was a torch-wielding anti-trade person. I really wanted to see what Wiggins could do slotted in between Irving and James and still think it would have been really cool to watch.

If the Cavs hadn't reversed the 1-3 this year, there would be a lot more heavy what-if'in, but the trade has obviously worked out awesome for them now. There was a lot more what-if'in after the Cavs 2015 playoffs.

Tae posted:

Blatt was fired for using love as a ryan Anderson and as soon as lue got head coached, love got more touches at the elbow and othwr methods to get him involved.

I think this was a lot more important. I doubted Love's ability to fit into Cleveland because with Irving and Lebron needing driving lanes and Love needing to spread the floor it didn't really make sense to me. Lue has done a lot better job giving Love midrange space to operate and his performance since Lue's arrival has been worlds better. His play in this 2017 regular season is better than any of his previous two years, dude is on loving fire right now. I was also strongly against the Blatt firing so what I'm saying is that I only have wrong Cleveland Cavaliers opinions, but if I could witness an alternate timeline where Wiggins gets to develop alongside Lebron and they just run a dunk train on every team they play for a year, that would be great, even if they don't win any titles.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Portland catches a break. Only 1 million of his salary next year is guaranteed.

I wouldn't call that a break. A break would've been if Ezeli was healthy and turned into the player people thought he could be a couple years ago.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/810708897153613824

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Marketing ploy by FS1 works perfectly, prepare to talk about Skip Bayless for no reason again

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

instead of talking about skip bayless we should look at this

https://zippy.gfycat.com/TenderAllIchthyosaurs.webm

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

IcePhoenix posted:

instead of talking about skip bayless we should look at this

https://zippy.gfycat.com/TenderAllIchthyosaurs.webm

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but these gyfcat links never load for me in the awful app.

Does anyone know an iOS app that will display WebM files?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think the awful app doesn't load webm because they're big

• Locked thread