Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bawk
Mar 31, 2013

zen death robot posted:

I can still use safari just fine :twisted:

The biggest bug of all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

pokeyman has a crashlytics account or w/e, maybe there's something useful in there? maybe in order to reproduce these crashes I just need to post more....

nah

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I get crashes a lot, too. It seems to happen most often when refreshing my bookmarks, second-most often when clicking a bookmark to see new posts, and least often after posting, though the post always goes through.

No idea if that's helpful info but it's all I can really remember right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It gives me more things to try, thanks.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

I had something weird happen on my iPhone 7 today. I went to launch the camera and nothing. Just a black screen. Switched over to video and nothing there either. Rebooted and everything was cool.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

On my 7+, I'm still getting a lot of crashes, especially when viewing an image heavy thread. I'm also getting an either black or grey square covering posts right before hand. I'll try and screenshot it when it happens next.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Töst
Motörhead

Ok, Umlauts aren't displayed properly.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bronin posted:

Töst
Motörhead

These look hosed up in Chrome on Windblows

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I've been getting this whenever I mark a thread as unread recently. The unmark goes through just fine despite appearances and a refresh fixes things up.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

These look hosed up in Chrome on Windblows

Because the forums codepage is windows-1252. Umlauts should work if you escape them before you post, but this isn't done automatically:
code:
Tëst
Motörhead
Tëst
Motörhead

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

anthonypants posted:

Because the forums codepage is windows-1252.

In Chrome you can go settings -> more tools -> encoding -> unicode if you want to view the unicode flavors correctly as well (although that's obviously a pain in the rear end).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ulmont posted:

In Chrome you can go settings -> more tools -> encoding -> unicode if you want to view the unicode flavors correctly as well (although that's obviously a pain in the rear end).
Even more of a pain in the rear end on the iOS app.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Good work on the app OP. Been using it for years. Since the last update my Bookmarks page is hosed up. They aren't all loading and when I tap on one it loads the one above.

It's an iPhone 6s with 10.1.1.

Usually a force close or a restart of the iPhone sorts issues with this but not this time. I.....I need my bookmarks...

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
iPhone 6 and app updates uh, updated

Ive suddenly lost the ability to bookmark threads. I can bring up the men while in a thread but "bookmark" button doesn't actually do anything. The problem started a few days ago

A very minor issue I've had is that the back button with first go back a page in the thread, and the second time I hit it it will back out to the thread menu

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also just another post of 'thanks' because this app uses up 90% of my battery (and not for a bad reason).

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

EL BROMANCE posted:

Also just another post of 'thanks' because this app uses up 90% of my battery (and not for a bad reason).

:same: this app basically IS my phone

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

julian assflange posted:

Good work on the app OP. Been using it for years. Since the last update my Bookmarks page is hosed up. They aren't all loading and when I tap on one it loads the one above.

Usually a force close or a restart of the iPhone sorts issues with this but not this time. I.....I need my bookmarks...

best bale posted:

Ive suddenly lost the ability to bookmark threads. I can bring up the men while in a thread but "bookmark" button doesn't actually do anything. The problem started a few days ago

A very minor issue I've had is that the back button with first go back a page in the thread, and the second time I hit it it will back out to the thread menu
Try clearing the cache by logging out and then back in?

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Bass Bottles posted:

:same: this app basically IS my phone

I'll try the log out/in. Step one: remember password

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, I have a 6s and my bookmarks didn't disappear. I'm also on the 10.2 beta, but I don't think that makes a big difference.

BobbyDrake
Mar 13, 2005

BobbyDrake posted:

On my 7+, I'm still getting a lot of crashes, especially when viewing an image heavy thread. I'm also getting an either black or grey square covering posts right before hand. I'll try and screenshot it when it happens next.

I was able to get screenshots of both weird blocks on the app. Also, forgot to mention, iPhone 7+ with the latest app store version of the app.

This is the more common one. It'll usually go away if I play with the screen for a while:

This is less common, but when this happens, I have to force quit the app and restart for them to go away:

Don't get me wrong, I love the app and I use it more than anything else on my phone, it's just kind of annoying. It's been happening since I upgraded to iOS 10 on my 6, then persisted on the 7+.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
After two days it appears to have fixed itself overnight, only thing I changed was moving to the dark theme which I'm guessing shouldn't have any influence.
Anyway, well done again OP I use this app so much and it owns.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

anthonypants posted:

Because the forums codepage is windows-1252. Umlauts should work if you escape them before you post, but this isn't done automatically:
code:
Tëst
Motörhead
Tëst
Motörhead

Hällö

Question is when will it get fixed?

I remember that some time ago every other app update or so broke Umlauts. Then it got fixed and three updates later it broke again. Maybe it was the Android app though, can't remember.

bronin fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 10, 2016

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

bronin posted:

Hällö

in titan whatever they're calling the new forums, assuming that's still happening, idk because the app doesn't display announcements (hint hint)

(it is a good app tho)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
I like the way it gets more hosed up every time it gets quoted and another layer of utf-8 is applied

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Soricidus posted:

I like the way it gets more hosed up every time it gets quoted and another layer of utf-8 is applied
When I quote my post in Chrome, I get the escaped codes. When I quote my post in the app, I get the unicode characters. Maybe the app should change that?

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

"Mark Unread" isn't working. Everything else is dandy, but I can't hide my shame from reading terrible threads.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
would really like an interactive fiction style navigation system and thread viewer - can this go on the wishlist?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Mad Wack posted:

would really like an interactive fiction style navigation system and thread viewer - can this go on the wishlist?
What does this mean

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
you are in a maze of twisty threads, all bad
there is a post button here
> inv
you have:
an opinion
> post opinion
you have been banned
score: 0

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

dragon enthusiast posted:

I've been getting this whenever I mark a thread as unread recently. The unmark goes through just fine despite appearances and a refresh fixes things up.

I'm getting the same error when trying to bookmark or mark as unread. I also get it when I delete existing bookmarks.

Latest iOS on iPhone 7 here.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

glassyalabolas posted:

I'm getting the same error when trying to bookmark or mark as unread. I also get it when I delete existing bookmarks.

It seems like these functions all actually work, despite the error messages.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

glassyalabolas posted:

Fixed.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

bronin posted:

Hällö

I remember that some time ago every other app update or so broke Umlauts. Then it got fixed and three updates later it broke again. Maybe it was the Android app though, can't remember.

Yeah probably was Awful.apk, probably me even.

/e: Haven't seen mojibake in a while though, maybe something happened during a Swift conversion?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

If there is it took awhile before people noticed it... I'm wondering if there were any backend changes recently, both to that and the response to marking a thread being in json all of a sudden.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Hey pokeyman, are all those "bump bundle version" commits you, or something automated under your account? Just curious.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I'm sure this has been posted but PMs are borked.

Can't scroll down to see what you type in the reply and I guess I'm getting the PM tomorrow??

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

uh so I want to send :yosbutt: via iMessage but it's not there or in the app what kind of trash rear end poo poo is this?

(Jk awful app is amazing and always has been pls keep doing good work tia)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

uh so I want to send :yosbutt: via iMessage but it's not there or in the app what kind of trash rear end poo poo is this?

only if we all complain will apple stop this heinous campaign of censorship

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

zen death robot posted:

I'm still getting crashes when I post about half the time. Is there any way I can send stats to show what's going on? I know there's some extra JavaScript that admins get and maybe that's an issue? Not sure.

I think I know what's going on, or at least I have all the info you could possibly send me. I need to just sit down and Figure It Out.

thecluckmeme posted:

When I send a PM I can't see anything I type below the keyboard

Like you're not allowed to scroll down to see more stuff? What if you press "return" a few dozen times so there's a lot blank lines? I'm pretty sure I know what's going on here but if you try that out it'll confirm my suspicion.

carry on then posted:

pokeyman has a crashlytics account or w/e, maybe there's something useful in there?

Yep this.

bronin posted:

Töst
Motörhead

Hmm. It took me ages to figure out how to pack up strings so everything worked properly. I don't think the app changed anything, but there are many tiny adjustments that could happen Forums-side that could change things. I'll have a look.

dragon enthusiast posted:

I think this got fixed, or at least a similar issue for (un)bookmarking a thread. I'll double-check the fix is applied to mark-unread too.

anthonypants posted:

code:
Tëst
Motörhead
Tëst
Motörhead

The app should be doing this conversion automatically, it has been for years. I'll need to double-check it.

julian assflange posted:

For now can you try logging out and back in? That clears the cache, and there's something messed up with bookmarks (and thread lists) sometimes that's hard to reproduce and even harder to make go away.

fake edit: And I see the problem went away. That's the another annoying part about this issue: it can resolve itself.

best bale posted:

I was seeing an issue (which has since been fixed) where I'd get an error message when tapping bookmark, but it did actually work, if you ignored the error message. Your issue sounds like something else though? No error messages to speak of?

quote:

Is there any chance you tapped a link on the previous page that pushed a new view instead of reusing the existing one?

BobbyDrake posted:

I was able to get screenshots of both weird blocks on the app. Also, forgot to mention, iPhone 7+ with the latest app store version of the app.

This is the more common one. It'll usually go away if I play with the screen for a while:

This is less common, but when this happens, I have to force quit the app and restart for them to go away:

Don't get me wrong, I love the app and I use it more than anything else on my phone, it's just kind of annoying. It's been happening since I upgraded to iOS 10 on my 6, then persisted on the 7+.

At first glance this looks like we're running out of memory, but I can't say for sure. I can say with some confidence that it's unintentional. I'll think about if there's a way we can fix it (aside from generally using less memory).

Weird that it's only happening in iOS 10 though. I don't remember changing anything relevant to showing posts.

Soricidus posted:

in titan whatever they're calling the new forums, assuming that's still happening, idk because the app doesn't display announcements (hint hint)

(it is a good app tho)

Announcements is probably the oldest item on my todo list :D

Soricidus posted:

Mojibake is a hell of a drug.

carry on then posted:

Hey pokeyman, are all those "bump bundle version" commits you, or something automated under your account? Just curious.

It's me. When I run the fastlane lane to push out a beta, one of the steps is to bump the bundle version.

MarcusSA posted:

I'm sure this has been posted but PMs are borked.

Can't scroll down to see what you type in the reply and I guess I'm getting the PM tomorrow??

Someone else mentioned the can't-scroll-in-replly issue yeah. Not sure what's going on with the date though. Date parsing is definitely lovely in the app, which blindly assumes that your SA time zone matches your device's time zone. This also happens to be why some posts don't show a post date around the Daylight Saving Time change hour.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Apple doesn't like the butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How obscene

• Locked thread