Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium posted:

me- Ok, so I guess my concern is the process side. We want to make sure if <group> is working on this they have all the details they need.
vendor- well this one's much more complex and is probably better suited to an admin role, like Lynn than the casual editors you have in <group>
me- Ah, ok. So we'll have to wait until she's back tomorrow so we can scope the workload for us.
Other tech- right but she's pretty heavily loaded but she's already been working with <group>, maybe they can handle it.
vendor- no, just to be clear, this is a much more detailed level of effort than <group> has been working on. it's really more at Lynn's speed.
PM- ok so what i'm hearing is that we need to get this documented so that <group> can get to work on it.
vendor- ... no. <explains again>

5 MINUTES LATER

PM- ok, action items, we need to get the documentation for <group>....

:rip: Lynn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Lynn is the best but yeah rip

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Iridium posted:

me- Ok, so I guess my concern is the process side. We want to make sure if <group> is working on this they have all the details they need.
vendor- well this one's much more complex and is probably better suited to an admin role, like Lynn than the casual editors you have in <group>
me- Ah, ok. So we'll have to wait until she's back tomorrow so we can scope the workload for us.
Other tech- right but she's pretty heavily loaded but she's already been working with <group>, maybe they can handle it.
vendor- no, just to be clear, this is a much more detailed level of effort than <group> has been working on. it's really more at Lynn's speed.
PM- ok so what i'm hearing is that we need to get this documented so that <group> can get to work on it.
vendor- ... no. <explains again>

5 MINUTES LATER

PM- ok, action items, we need to get the documentation for <group>....

lol at the concept of a PM giving a poo poo about what the vendor thinks

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

duTrieux. posted:

lol at the concept of a PM giving a poo poo about what the vendor thinks

looming deadlines lead to some crazy pm poo poo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
today we had a zoom meeting, except i thought it was in person so i went to the ladys cube and we took turns shouting at her face headset in an open plan office

vendor later told me i came in very faint so i would talk and he would lean down and press his head against the speakerphone then my colleague would talk and burst his eardrum

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

today we had a zoom meeting, except i thought it was in person so i went to the ladys cube and we took turns shouting at her face headset in an open plan office

vendor later told me i came in very faint so i would talk and he would lean down and press his head against the speakerphone then my colleague would talk and burst his eardrum

best is when one person successfully videoconferences but the person they share the office with hasn't so you get to watch and faintly hear them in the background trying to fix stuff

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
morning scrum. for the first time in memory, this PM has interrupted everyone who were going off into the weeds on a technical issue and asked that they save it for a later meeting that was arranged to discuss it.

of course, everyone is getting into it anyway because ignoring him has become a group reflex.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

your PM is a treasure.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Iridium when you quit print out your posts itt and staple them to your notice

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Iridium posted:

morning scrum. for the first time in memory, this PM has interrupted everyone who were going off into the weeds on a technical issue and asked that they save it for a later meeting that was arranged to discuss it.

of course, everyone is getting into it anyway because ignoring him has become a group reflex.

Our pm emails me for updates every week since $bigproject began in June. I've yet to respond. Ignoring pms is a time honored office tradition like drinking coffee or getting too drunk at happy hour and hitting on co-workers

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you don't have a good pm that you respect

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

mishaq posted:

we've had a few actually.

one went along for a while until she got fed up with my boss's poo poo and jumped over to manage the QA department where she doesn't have to deal with him so much. she's been pretty successful over there.

we had a contractor last year, too, who was quite good. she lives a few miles from the office and said it'd be a dream job to work there. they offered her a permanent position and she turned it down... because it would have meant reporting to my boss. she didn't renew her contract and is now instead working for one of our divisions.

most of the other PMs we've had have spanned the spectrum of mediocre-at-best, with a few going into truly dire territory. the current one is pretty middle of the pack but picked up on why we have rotating PMs pretty quickly.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
in the sprint this week it really dawned on me how rough the people calling in have it. one person, shana, always gets ribbed about turning her volume up hahah lolol we can hear each other just fine. the meeting consists of

2 people with rather quiet speaking voices

2 people with what I would class as "normal" volume voices

1 person who never, ever speaks at more than a mumbled whisper. also he always puts his laptop between him and the microphone. this man is the lead developer.

1 person whose voice ranges from "very loud" to "please speak quieter, you're hurting my ears ow"

shana apparently is using headphones plugged in to her desk phone with all volume everywhere turned up to max. she still can't hear what the whisperer says and often has a hard time hearing the 2 "rather quiet" people. just realized the loud person is probably blowing out her eardrums every time they open their mouth.

it's me, I'm the loud one :negative:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

pm is a pretty poo poo job but at least it can pay well

god help you if you are doing a pm role and not making several dece six figgies

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

skyper1: *muffle muffle muffle* very important *muffle muffle muffle*
skyper2: ...are you in a blanket fort?
skyper1: *muffle muffle* close of business *beboop*
rest of call: ???

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
Bike shedding if we show units, that is, currency, at a POS (hehh) where you can pay in usd but get cad back, and if you show units when setting pricing.

Yes you do. Next?

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm

Mad Wack posted:

not if you pull all your pms from your technical support department and just give them a minor pay bump and expect them to learn on the job lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

mishaq posted:

[loling loudly]

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Mad Wack posted:

lol most of our pms are offshore and are a way to cut costs on ms project licences

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

maniacdevnull posted:

lol most of our pms are offshore and are a way to cut costs on ms project licences

tmesis posted:

not if you pull all your pms from your technical support department and just give them a minor pay bump and expect them to learn on the job lol

:wow:

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bloody posted:

[loling loudly]

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

tmesis posted:

at previous big telco the PMs were mostly sales people who hadn't made quota three quarters in a row but couldn't be made redundant because of paperwork effort

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

at previous big telco the PMs were mostly sales people who hadn't made quota three quarters in a row but couldn't be made redundant because of paperwork effort

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

:five:

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

Space Whale posted:

Bike shedding if we show units, that is, currency, at a POS (hehh) where you can pay in usd but get cad back, and if you show units when setting pricing.

Yes you do. Next?

sometimes when checking for pricing on a touchscreen outside of one of our vendors, Ill google it and get info from POSWORLD.COM which always makes me smile

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

your epos is a piece of poo poo

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
today's scrum call was interrupted by

1- the QA lady announcing she couldn't access email due to network issues so
2- she walks to the PMs cube to get him a copy of the defects list, which
3- he instructs her to give to another manager to distribute to the whole group, but that manager
4- takes the time over the phone to try to start helping her troubleshoot her network issues until
5- i give up and drop off

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
"You are now joining the meeting as a leader."

but is he, skype voice? really, is he?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Iridium posted:

"You are now joining the meeting as a leader."

but is he, skype voice? really, is he?

Lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

idk if its just our setup or general but holy crap skype for business is a loving atrocious im client. like im pretty sure i could make a better-in-literally-every-way system in, idk, half a day

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
not you. skype for b client is total trash. install teams.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

wish i could

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

a locally-hosted slack-like that i could deploy with no oversight from it would have a glimmer of hope but that's still prob not gonna happen

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
i was on a sales call where the customer had multiple people dial in while in the same conference room so it was a giant echoing mess and they just couldn't wrap their heads around why it was happening, it was mind boggling

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Bloody posted:

a locally-hosted slack-like that i could deploy with no oversight from it would have a glimmer of hope but that's still prob not gonna happen

go to https://teams.microsoft.com and login w/ ur 365 creds. if it works it means someone has already enabled teams so you can download the client and use it instead of skype. you can still skype with people but the client is less terrible.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol my 365 credentials

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lol sucks 2 be u

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

immensely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
you could install skype preview (for skype) which is a better chat client than normal skype for skype or skype for b

• Locked thread