Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Job interviews are absurdly exhausting because they're just asking you to lie in the specific right way.

"Why do you want to work here?" "Because you pay money and I'm not interested in living on the street."
"What is your biggest weakness?" "My need to work for money so I don't die."
"Where do you see yourself in ten years?" "Wherever pays me the most."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The best answer to "Where do you see yourself in 10 years" is of course "In an early grave from working too hard, after dying alone and unloved." Shows devotion to the company and that there won't be life insurance they'll need to pay out. Win-win from the corporate perspective.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Job interviews are absurdly exhausting because they're just asking you to lie in the specific right way.

"Why do you want to work here?" "Because you pay money and I'm not interested in living on the street."
"What is your biggest weakness?" "My need to work for money so I don't die."
"Where do you see yourself in ten years?" "Wherever pays me the most."

At my current job, they told all of us candidates before the interview that they don't ask "standard" interview questions like "Where do you see yourself in five years?" That was the example they gave.

During the final part of my interview day, with HR, I was asked that exact question anyway :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

They're also pretty good at recognizing stuff like "My biggest weakness is that I work too hard!! I just can't stop working, super hard, and I'm too professional about everything!" (and it's slightly less obvious variants indicating perfectionism), so you actually have to assess both yourself and the office environment and decide which flaw the five people you're interviewing with can identify with and/or think is charming.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Once you get the job, degree ain't matter. My degree is in psych but I've been a software engineer for 7 years so no one even looks at my education anymore. I'm also glad I studied psych for other reasons. Sam Jackson wasn't in Shawshank though.

corn in the bible posted:

repetitive and easy

Agreed. I've played musou with samurai, giant robots, Zelda, and Dragon Quest and have become convinced that there is no layer of paint they can drop on those games that makes them interesting to me.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 19, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

They're also pretty good at recognizing stuff like "My biggest weakness is that I work too hard!! I just can't stop working, super hard, and I'm too professional about everything!" (and it's slightly less obvious variants indicating perfectionism), so you actually have to assess both yourself and the office environment and decide which flaw the five people you're interviewing with can identify with and/or think is charming.

My current job asked an interesting variation on this question, or at least it seemed like pretty much the same question. They asked, "What is something people think about you that isn't true?" I thought that was interesting--it was possible to treat that the same way as "What's your biggest weakness?", like you could mention something that people think is a weakness of yours but then talk about how it's actually your strength.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

chumbler posted:

The best answer to "Where do you see yourself in 10 years" is of course "In an early grave from working too hard, after dying alone and unloved." Shows devotion to the company and that there won't be life insurance they'll need to pay out. Win-win from the corporate perspective.

My answer is always either "Honestly, I am looking for a secure career position I can grow within for as long as possible" or "Hopefully here, with some institutional memory, as (insert title that's slightly above the one I'm applying for but definitely within my grasp")," and it really, really depends on who you are talking to.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

bloodychill posted:

Once you get the job, degree ain't matter. My degree is in psych but I've been a software engineer for 7 years so no one even looks at my education anymore.

That really depends on your degree and where you want to work. Some areas and jobs just require a relevant degree.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bloodychill posted:

Sam Jackson wasn't in Shawshank though.

Jesus Christ, Bicylops

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have no defense for myself.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ImpAtom posted:

Every answer is to the question "can you be a reliable worker who isn't insufferable?" because part of the interview is about your credentials but most is about letting them know you've picked up on at least a few of the social cues throughout your schooling and other jobs not to be That Idiot, or That Arrogant Prick, or That Super-Keen Know-It-All, or That Shiftless Slob, etc.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Bicyclops posted:

I have no defense for myself.

maybe you were thinking of django unchained

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Andrast posted:

That really depends on your degree and where you want to work. Some areas and jobs just require a relevant degree.

Well yeah, if you want to be a scientist or a nurse or a doctor or a lawyer or something like that, you're going to need the degree.

Unrelated - the switch thread is treat today if you're into lots of angry video game posts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

Every answer is to the question "can you be a reliable worker who isn't insufferable?" because part of the interview is about your credentials but most is about letting them know you've picked up on at least a few of the social cues throughout your schooling and other jobs not to be That Idiot, or That Arrogant Prick, or That Super-Keen Know-It-All, or That Shiftless Slob, etc.

The Shiftless Slob and the Arrogant Prick are deffo the ones most employers seem to be probing for, which is why I try to use most questions to talk about how important it is to remember that most interactions that people think of as logistics problems have a human element to them, and that being understanding and sympathetic to co-workers and clients not only makes your own job easier, but gives you the opportunity to learn about their world, and ways to offer support and address organizational systems break-downs without making anyone feel like you've overstepped or gone over their heads.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

oddium posted:

maybe you were thinking of django unchained

No, clearly, I am just unconsciously racist and mixed two actors up, for which I deserve scorn.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he's in avengers as well (nick fury). maybe it was avengers

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

He was on my mind because he announced that they're making The Incredibles 2, which is no excuse - I am a doofus.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I could make myself feel better by saying that I mixed up Gregory Peck and Robert Mitchum immediately beforehand, but let's be honest, it's not the same thing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

he's also in the first incredibles. maybe that ??

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bicyclops posted:

The Shiftless Slob and the Arrogant Prick are deffo the ones most employers seem to be probing for, which is why I try to use most questions to talk about how important it is to remember that most interactions that people think of as logistics problems have a human element to them, and that being understanding and sympathetic to co-workers and clients not only makes your own job easier, but gives you the opportunity to learn about their world, and ways to offer support and address organizational systems break-downs without making anyone feel like you've overstepped or gone over their heads.

In every interview for a job that I've ended up winning, I've given true, actual weaknesses of mine but then immediately shifted to how I've grown from it or fixed it or made amends, whatever the case may be. I want them to know that I'm not going to be perfect but that when I do something wrong I'm not going be a hyper-defensive egoist about it or someone who feels the need to hide their mistakes like they're hiding a dead body. Because I know the people I like to work with are not necessarily the Grandmasters of their job but are people who can be honest with me.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Lobok posted:

In every interview for a job that I've ended up winning, I've given true, actual weaknesses of mine but then immediately shifted to how I've grown from it or fixed it or made amends, whatever the case may be. I want them to know that I'm not going to be perfect but that when I do something wrong I'm not going be a hyper-defensive egoist about it or someone who feels the need to hide their mistakes like they're hiding a dead body. Because I know the people I like to work with are not necessarily the Grandmasters of their job but are people who are people who can be honest with me.

Yeah, I mean, I try to be honest about what I want from a place and where my experiences have led me, but my instinctual reply to "What's your greatest flaw," "I take home every small mistake that I make and obsess over it," isn't interview appropriate and doesn't really paint a picture of what I am like as an employee, so I always feel like I sound rehearsed. It's my least favorite canned question. I love "Give me an example of a time when..." because it feels more like a conversation in which I can both be honest and say something I know my interviewer will relate to. The conversation up to that point will naturally have dictated a direction for my story that allows for me to say "I get what you mean about the challenges you're facing here, and I too, have dealt with similar situations" without feeling forced.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

bloodychill posted:

Unrelated - the switch thread is treat today if you're into lots of angry video game posts.

The thread is poo poo.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

there's good posters there... and bad

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Did something bad happen with Switch or are people just angry because Nintendo?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I don't like reading threads mostly posted by people who hate the thing they're posting about anymore.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Did something bad happen with Switch or are people just angry because Nintendo?

the specs came out and it had the wrong type of tegra or something

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

the specs came out and it had the wrong type of tegra or something

HOLY FUCKBALLS

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
The Switch thread is currently drawing the divide between specheads and true gamers

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

[extremely calm, and not mad] what do you mean you "forgot" to use the good tegra

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Just saw the latest leaks, and :staredog: Blast Processing is going to tear these shitheads 16 glorious bits of new buttholes. Not so "Super" now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Good tegra does what Nintendon't

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Idk what they were expecting from a new nintendo system. They don't even know what the good type of ram looks like over there

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

check this out: The Lyin', The Switch, and the um. Boredrobe. come back to me

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Not gonna read that thread, what exactly is wrong with the switch

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Nintendo Super Mock Thread Mk. VII: More Modes than Games to Play [56K gently caress Off]

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

haveblue posted:

Not gonna read that thread, what exactly is wrong with the switch

It is not as powerful as hoped

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Was Tegra that one dude from Thundercats, or one of the Dinobots?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lobok posted:

Was Tegra was that one dude from Thundercats, or one of the Dinobots?
The third faction in Dark Reign.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Without understanding a ton about hardware, it is pretty easy to figure that Nintendo is not the greatest with regard to hardware without freaking out that they are loving us again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I don't really care about graphical prowess or whatever but please please Nintendo make your online infrastructure (and for that matter your wifi cards) less dogshit, thanks

they're gonna be dogshit aren't they :smith:

• Locked thread