Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

(looks at Learning score)
(looks at portrait)

I think you might be trying to recruit Odin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tesla was right posted:

Ditto, but also possessed and disfigured (with a rad golden mask and prosthetic hand)

I'm tempted to get EUIV and take fylkir bersi into the future.

Unless EU4 also features immortal characters, he'll die instantly.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jedit posted:

Unless EU4 also features immortal characters, he'll die instantly.

It kind of exists in eu4. You can't actually get it in-game, but you can get the trait on your ruler via the nation designer or converting from ck2.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Nov 11, 2018

HateCrimeDoxNet
Dec 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
CRAZY GARBAGE

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Dec 19, 2016

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Cool, what mod is that?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

The Lone Badger posted:

(looks at Learning score)
(looks at portrait)

I think you might be trying to recruit Odin.

he cost me fifty bucks

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

verbal enema posted:

he cost me fifty bucks

That's pretty cheap for a god.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Almost reformed the Germanic faith last night but gently caress some small fries somewhere who kept losing prepared invasions (to the tune of -15% MA).

I sacked Rome but didn't get the Pope (that slippery bastard) so now I guess my plan is to raid every single coastal church I can between Denmark and Gibraltar.

It might be easier at this point just to take on the HRE to get the last two Holy Sites.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It would be lame if the AI had perfect reckoning but its so bad at deciding when to do holy wars. Its like you're a duke and they border a kingdom/a dozen same faith dukes, we all know how its going to end. The churn is nice and neat but it turns into like half or more of the authority modifiers for niche religions.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Is there any that more complicated to child raising I'm missing or is it basically assign a focus for a set stat then hope they get good pre traits for their next education?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ChaseSP posted:

Is there any that more complicated to child raising I'm missing or is it basically assign a focus for a set stat then hope they get good pre traits for their next education?

Childhood traits can usually develop into one useful or one negative trait. But a good educator can interfere and give the child the choice of a third trait, which is usually the best outcome. But you would have to look it up on the wiki which educator trait matches which childhood trait.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

ChaseSP posted:

I think you can still assign a tutor manually like the old system? I don't know, after you go on that first seducing spree and there's 5 million people in your dynasty assigning a focus is already too much. There should be a Master of the Bastards honorary title whose only job is to assign focuses to children automatically.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Norman Portraits are also a thing, and they look a bit odd. Might be work in progress.

e: It's Norman/English/German Portraits (they all share the set).

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 19, 2016

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

uPen posted:

There should be a Master of the Bastards honorary title whose only job is to assign focuses to children automatically.

There absolutely should. It is especially painful for republics where you want lots of family in your court. I'd like to be able to say "Let them learn stewardship!" and "Don't let that man anywhere near my children", and never have to worry again.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Can you control or influence who the electors vote for in Elective Gavelkind? I'd really prefer it if my slightly-younger Genius son took the throne over his older brother, who managed to inherit none of his parents' Genius, Attractive, or Strong traits.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
So on my current game I have an interesting problem. The Pope controls two titles: The Papacy and the duchy level title Rome is in. Nothing else. The Fraticelli Pope resides in Rome and is independent. The King of Lombardy (strong, but losing some ground to the Byzantines) is Fraticelli. I have declared an antipope in the catholic faith, but I cannot war with the Pope to make my pope the head honcho. It also looks like I'm not able to declare on the Fraticelli Pope? Is there a solution to getting my vassal to be recognized?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Vengarr posted:

Can you control or influence who the electors vote for in Elective Gavelkind? I'd really prefer it if my slightly-younger Genius son took the throne over his older brother, who managed to inherit none of his parents' Genius, Attractive, or Strong traits.

Dead men can't cast votes.

Chakan posted:

So on my current game I have an interesting problem. The Pope controls two titles: The Papacy and the duchy level title Rome is in. Nothing else. The Fraticelli Pope resides in Rome and is independent. The King of Lombardy (strong, but losing some ground to the Byzantines) is Fraticelli. I have declared an antipope in the catholic faith, but I cannot war with the Pope to make my pope the head honcho. It also looks like I'm not able to declare on the Fraticelli Pope? Is there a solution to getting my vassal to be recognized?

There's probably a better way, but you could get a claim on Rome and take it, give it to the pope, and then declare on him.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Various Meat Products posted:

Dead men can't cast votes.

Except your vote does count. I assume its written in your will somewhere or something.

Speaking of which... still waiting on a will system for dividing up Gavelkind, Paradox!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
May I make a request? I would like to see more CK2 pictures of hideous abominations, incest-born Spawns of Satan, 30+ Learning maimed infertile lepers, and other miserable people that should never have been born. Thank you.

Node fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
There will never be a will system because the entire point of Gavelkind is that it's supposed to hurt and your first major goal is supposed to be to get the hell out of Gavelkind ASAP.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

There will never be a will system because the entire point of Gavelkind is that it's supposed to hurt and your first major goal is supposed to be to get the hell out of Gavelkind ASAP.

Regular Gavelkind isn't that bad, it's only the Elective one that sucks so much. With the regular one, so long as you only have a single top level title you'll be fine. Elective will create new top level titles purely to ensure your realm shatters on death.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Wow, holy orders are a magnitude of bullshit. Some little count in Wales who's flat broke, with 400 troops and 500 piety to his name gets to pull out 10,000 defenders out of his rear end. Can't wait him out, because it's only costing him 2 gold a month.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Wow, holy orders are a magnitude of bullshit. Some little count in Wales who's flat broke, with 400 troops and 500 piety to his name gets to pull out 10,000 defenders out of his rear end. Can't wait him out, because it's only costing him 2 gold a month.
Yeah the Holy Orders, especially the Christian ones, cause me to quit a fair number of my games because they are such bull poo poo.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

So vassalize the Jomsvikings, give them 20 castles, and burn the entirety of Europe down.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Zero One posted:

Almost reformed the Germanic faith last night but gently caress some small fries somewhere who kept losing prepared invasions (to the tune of -15% MA).

I sacked Rome but didn't get the Pope (that slippery bastard) so now I guess my plan is to raid every single coastal church I can between Denmark and Gibraltar.

It might be easier at this point just to take on the HRE to get the last two Holy Sites.

Phew. Managed to raid enough churches and got lucky on an old prepared invasion loss dropping off and I managed to reform the faith in the year 1000. Then my ruler promptly died and my son took over. He managed to die of an illness two years later. My original 10 demesne when I reformed is now down to two counties thanks to Gavelkind. Grandson almost died too (caught slow fever) but he survived and now I'm working on taking over Wales.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Can you press the claim of a guy that's in your dungeons, if they're also a courtier?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah the Holy Orders, especially the Christian ones, cause me to quit a fair number of my games because they are such bull poo poo.

It's not a holy order, but defensive pagans now can raise troops similar to raising a tribal army, for some pitiful piety cost. I was real shocked when I tried to capture some pissant county, filled with nothing but polar bears and snowmen, and found they suddenly could field more heavy infantry than I had total troops in my personal levy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Simplex posted:

It's not a holy order, but defensive pagans now can raise troops similar to raising a tribal army, for some pitiful piety cost. I was real shocked when I tried to capture some pissant county, filled with nothing but polar bears and snowmen, and found they suddenly could field more heavy infantry than I had total troops in my personal levy.
I havent dealt with that too much, but it at least seems a bit more reasonable that it is defense only and only effective for so long. The fact that some tiny Irish count can summon dozens of thousands of upkeep free holy warriors is just silly. I'm pretty sure that unless Muslims or maybe a crazy amount of vikings showed up anywhere in Ireland, the Templars wouldnt care.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

Crow Jane posted:

My immortal character, by the end, was a blind, one-handed, one-legged, insane werewolf eunuch with half a face. I got really sick of playing him after a while and actively tried to get him killed, but dude just kept on truckin'.

I'm playing my first full game in earnest since shelving this over a year ago and my Sultan Daryuš the Scholar is now 166 years old, has a prosthetic leg, one hand, no balls, no face, one eye, and in spite of it all he just became a mujahid at age 150. He had over 20 children before losing his nads and I married all of them off, so I have to dig deep into the family tree to see if anyone will be worthy to succeed him, and it's hard to make sure each generation of his heirs are multiplying and not getting wiped out by disease. He isn't making any more of them after all.

Also a 950-year old Breton named Arthur hunted me down and tried to Highlander me, but I argued him to death with my 29 learning skill. There can be only one, bitch!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Decided I wanted a little bit of a challenge. Picked 769 Magyar. As soon as unpaused, three people declared war on me and I got eight marriage requests. I didn't want that much challenge.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

beefart posted:

Also a 950-year old Breton named Arthur hunted me down and tried to Highlander me, but I argued him to death with my 29 learning skill. There can be only one, bitch!

You argued King Arthur to death. :agesilaus:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Dareon posted:

Decided I wanted a little bit of a challenge. Picked 769 Magyar. As soon as unpaused, three people declared war on me and I got eight marriage requests. I didn't want that much challenge.

769 Magyar is great because it only takes a few years before you are strong enough to subjugate your next door neighbor Byzantines, which means you can do it early enough to get the Varangians vassalized. The hard part is dropping the Magyar title later so you can reform the Roman Empire. Due to a bug, it's basically impossible to successfully revolt against your liege for the title.

Step one for any nomad is to recruit as many of the cheap horses as you can before you unpause. You need to be just strong enough that you aren't priority 1 on the target list for your neighbors.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Node posted:

May I make a request? I would like to see more CK2 pictures of hideous abominations, incest-born Spawns of Satan, 30+ Learning maimed infertile lepers, and other miserable people that should never have been born. Thank you.

This was the worst person I've ever played, I posted about him before:

Former Emperor. Blinded, disfigured, kinslayer, cannibal, lunatic, owner of the Necronomicon. Named one of his sons "Snack" (he ran away when his time came). Ate most every Duke in the Empire (each one revolted and was replaced at least twice) before being finally deposed. Also ate Joan of Arc.

Thankfully died in the middle of an immortality quest.

I don't know why he was called "Duchess".

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Dec 21, 2016

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I am the king of ireland, wales, and england, we've always had good relations with scotland and now we have 100 opinion from the scottish king and he's married to my daughter with a centurias old non aggression pact but he still won't agree to an alliance because ~political concerns~. I googled it and its all people talking about marriages. What's that about?

idk why im even keeping scotland scottish at this point if they aren't going to answer the call when my dukes revolt while I'm crusading

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

That was amusing even before I saw the horse plotting against you with the Ecumenical Patriarch :laffo:

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

poverty goat posted:

I am the king of ireland, wales, and england, we've always had good relations with scotland and now we have 100 opinion from the scottish king and he's married to my daughter with a centurias old non aggression pact but he still won't agree to an alliance because ~political concerns~. I googled it and its all people talking about marriages. What's that about?

idk why im even keeping scotland scottish at this point if they aren't going to answer the call when my dukes revolt while I'm crusading

Until a recent patch, all marriages between sufficiently highly-ranked characters automatically created an alliance and there were no alliances without marriage, so the two mechanics were intrinsically bound together.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

poverty goat posted:

The AI is happier with the non-aggression status quo exactly because all an alliance would do is turn them into a pet forced to fight your wars, assuming they don't have any interesting claims or aspirations to play turnabout with the alliance because Scotland is kind of in the rear end end of the world.

e. Political concerns is a fudge factor surfacing the guts of the AI decision making chains. Used to mostly show up for marriages but shows up more and more as the AI gets savvier in ways that are hard to communicate.

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

binge crotching posted:

769 Magyar is great because it only takes a few years before you are strong enough to subjugate your next door neighbor Byzantines, which means you can do it early enough to get the Varangians vassalized. The hard part is dropping the Magyar title later so you can reform the Roman Empire. Due to a bug, it's basically impossible to successfully revolt against your liege for the title.

Step one for any nomad is to recruit as many of the cheap horses as you can before you unpause. You need to be just strong enough that you aren't priority 1 on the target list for your neighbors.

I wonder if you could do it by being a vassal Khan and pressing a claim (by marriage or abducted concubine) for the Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angstrom Gothington
Feb 19, 2007

Raise your arms in the big black sky, raise your arms the highest you can, so the whole universe will glow.

beefart posted:

That was amusing even before I saw the horse plotting against you with the Ecumenical Patriarch :laffo:

Someone's gotta provide all that exploding manure!

• Locked thread