Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mozi posted:

You can still think it's a reasonable idea in general.

Also up to not that long ago Turkey was considered very Western, though I'm sure you knew that.
I think that was only ever relative to their eastern/southern neighbors.

YF-23 posted:

Last I checked you were only stating your own, personal, Danish opinion.
That doesn't make any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

YF-23 posted:

Gulen until proven innocent is truly one of the brightest western values.

ftfy

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That doesn't make any sense.

I'm saying that, going by your post, "guilty until proven innocent" is an opinion you personally hold, rather than a principle to adopt in order to not impose our culture on the Russians and the Turkish.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

Literally nothing. He works for Putin's Russia in a position of power. That's enough for me to gloat about his death.

The same logic that terrorists use when they blow up a western embassy or government target. Nice.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Freezer posted:

The same logic that terrorists use when they blow up a western embassy or government target. Nice.

Well he's a dirty imperialist pig so...

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
still a guy got a mag emptied into him on live tv. That's pretty hosed up.
I felt bad when i saw gadaffi lynched too

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Oh no but what about the pragmatism!! Think of the realpolitiks!

It won't change a drat thing about the poor downtrodden souls being rained upon by husks of metal and fire. It will minutely disrupt the functioning of the corrupt and barbaric governments of both Turkey and Russia. A net positive.

Yeah I'm sure Russia won't be able to replace faceless diplomat #125

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Freezer posted:

Well yeah, terrorists are rational human beings. Choosing a target soft enough to damage is the logical choice to make.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

It will minutely disrupt the functioning of the corrupt and barbaric governments of both Turkey and Russia. A net positive.

You really do believe in all of that? There is no possibility of things getting even worse?

Things can always get worse and acts of violence can backfire in ways unimaginable. Turkey may become even more corrupt, Russia even more barbaric due to this, and international community won't say a thing because they don't like to see ambassadors getting murdered.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Here's a link to the reddit live-thread on the truck plowing into people at the Berlin Christmas market.

Currently 9 killed, 50 injured.

https://www.reddit.com/live/y4kse2ib8b37

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Nilbop posted:

In Nice the terrorist killed 86 and non-fatally injured 434, in both cases 15-16% of those injured died which is an astonishing coincidence if the Berlin body count stays that way. Though at this stage you can expect it to get worse... :smith:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nenonen posted:

In Nice the terrorist killed 86 and non-fatally injured 434, in both cases 15-16% of those injured died which is an astonishing coincidence if the Berlin body count stays that way. Though at this stage you can expect it to get worse... :smith:

Well the Nice guy had much more road to drive on and plow down people on before his vehicle was stopped.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004
e: not going to be a dick in this thread

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Randarkman posted:

Well the Nice guy had much more road to drive on and plow down people on before his vehicle was stopped.
Also German style Christmas market generally have small wooden houses built as market stalls, the vehicle is more likely to have been slowed by the impact with those (instead of flesh).

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah I'm sure Russia won't be able to replace faceless diplomat #125

"Disrupt", not provoke the final collapse of the USSR, Tom Clancy style.

Nenonen posted:

You really do believe in all of that? There is no possibility of things getting even worse?

Things can always get worse and acts of violence can backfire in ways unimaginable. Turkey may become even more corrupt, Russia even more barbaric due to this, and international community won't say a thing because they don't like to see ambassadors getting murdered.

Things get worse or better all the time without tracing it back to the One Primary Thing.

Freezer posted:

You're one of these people that dismiss all violence because it's, well, violent and therefore bad. There are a lot of you.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Nilbop posted:

Here's a link to the reddit live-thread on the truck plowing into people at the Berlin Christmas market.

https://www.reddit.com/live/y4kse2ib8b37

Well, gently caress.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Terror operations underway in Schaerbeek, Brussels - apparently they're after ISIS recruiters. Eight arrests made. Good times in Europe.

https://twitter.com/AmichaiStein1/status/810912565589114880

Junior G-man fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 19, 2016

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

You're one of these people that dismiss all violence because it's, well, violent and therefore bad. There are a lot of you.

No, you moron, I dismiss the act of celebrating a diplomat being shot. I'm sure some people celebrated after Benghazi, and I would call them morons as well.

Nothing good will come out of this, and the people most likely to suffer are civilians trapped in Syria. Putin just got an excuse to ramp up involvement and Erdogan will have to quietly watch from a corner with his thumbs up his rear end.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Freezer posted:

No, you moron, I dismiss the act of celebrating a diplomat being shot. I'm sure some people celebrated after Benghazi, and I would call them morons as well.

Nothing good will come out of this, and the people most likely to suffer are civilians trapped in Syria. Putin just got an excuse to ramp up involvement and Erdogan will have to quietly watch from a corner with his thumbs up his rear end.

Ok. I've made my case, you've made yours.

vvv Consider this my response to you too.

Pinch Me Im Meming fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 19, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Oh I do believe that you can make the world a better place through violence. Please just kill yourself :)

e: I feel sorry for saying that :( I don't wish you or your next of kin any harm. I wish I could discuss this constructively with you, but I think us debating over this is futile. Oh for sure sometimes political violence furthers some political goals, but you can never tell if it really helps that goal, and at that point it also comes under question whether the goal was objectively worth killing for because you're too consumed by your ideology.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 19, 2016

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Seems like the truck was hijacked, according to Polish media, dead co-pilot may be the original driver of the truck.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

Nenonen posted:

Oh I do believe that you can make the world a better place through violence. Please just kill yourself :)

e: I feel sorry for saying that :( I don't wish you or your next of kin any harm. I wish I could discuss this constructively with you, but I think us debating over this is futile. Oh for sure sometimes political violence furthers some political goals, but you can never tell if it really helps that goal, and at that point it also comes under question whether the goal was objectively worth killing for because you're too consumed by your ideology.

Well since it's the first time I've seen someone post a thing and then edit it while leaving the original for eveyone to see I'll gladly recognize the matter to be settled ITT.
But still up for debate at some other time in some other thread. Namaste.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Randarkman posted:

I mean it'd be interesting if in both cases 1 out of 6 people hit by the truck died while the other 5 survived with injuries. But it must be just a coincidence that the ratios are so close and it's too early to tell if they stay that way, I do hope so.

Well since it's the first time I've seen someone post a thing and then edit it while leaving the original for eveyone to see I'll gladly recognize the matter to be settled ITT.
But still up for debate at some other time in some other thread. Namaste.

M'lady/laddy/porpoise:tipshat:

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2016

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
Trump won, so that shitshow is over. What's the next one, France?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

If Trump's tweets since the election are any indication, that shitshow has only just begun, friend.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

I hope I'm not going to die.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Flowers For Algeria posted:

I hope I'm not going to die.

Either do it right now, or get prepared to stretch one of your arms a lot

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

YF-23 posted:

If Trump's tweets since the election are any indication, that shitshow has only just begun, friend.

It's not that bad, let's have a look.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/810288321880555520

*nods sagely*
I'm going to sleep now, good night everyone.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Freezer posted:

b-b-but what if they are freedom fighters :qqsay:

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Well, it turns out the driver of the truck was from a refugee center in Germany, a Pakistani person.

I admit I don't know why there are Pakistani refugees, maybe political?

But anyway, welcome our new overlords, Le Pen & friends. Good thing we got rid of fascism here in Portugal kind of recently (1974) so we still remember how it is and won't go back to it anytime soon (I hope).

Religion really is the worst loving invention. That and oil, gas.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

orange sky posted:

I too think coal is preferable, the all-prevailing London smog is one feature of old novels I never got to experience.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

orange sky posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_in_North-West_Pakistan

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

orange sky posted:

Well, it turns out the driver of the truck was from a refugee center in Germany, a Pakistani person.

There's been an open insurgency in North Waziristan for years and repeated government offensives have displaced over a million people, several of whom have fled into Afghanistan as access into the rest of Pakistan was severely curtailed and a chunk of civilians don't exactly trust the Pakistani military

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

orange sky posted:

Got a source? I'm not seeing anything about that after checking quickly.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Kassad posted:

Got a source? I'm not seeing anything about that after checking quickly.

Portuguese papers are quoting the Bild, what's the strength of the Bild as a source, tabloid or?

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/internacional/camiao/suspeito-do-ataque-em-berlim-e-um-refugiado-paquistanes

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Private Speech posted:

I too think coal is preferable, the all-prevailing London smog is one feature of old novels I never got to experience.

You know what I meant.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

orange sky posted:

Portuguese papers are quoting the Bild, what's the strength of the Bild as a source, tabloid or?

http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/internacional/camiao/suspeito-do-ataque-em-berlim-e-um-refugiado-paquistanes

Bild is a horrible yellow press rag but they tend to be informed really well at breaking news stuff like this

e: it's been confirmed by the authorities anyway

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

orange sky posted:

But anyway, welcome our new overlords, Le Pen & friends. Good thing we got rid of fascism here in Portugal kind of recently (1974) so we still remember how it is and won't go back to it anytime soon (I hope).

Not sure why you're so surprised. Despite the narrative that most people in this thread like to play up (probably because they believe it themselves), less than half of the migrants crossing into Europe by sea since 2015 were from Syria.

Being Pakistani doesn't automatically mean you won't be granted asylum or that conditions aren't bad in Pakistan (they're terrible in a lot of places which don't grant asylum), but Pakistani asylum claims are mainly rejected: http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2015/09/daily-chart-16 edit: more recent numbers, 84% of Pakistani refugees denied asylum http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...uarter_2016.png

Why are they still trying? My guess is stories sold by people smugglers, media narratives a while ago, not enough deterrence ("refugees welcome" interpreted incorrectly), the prospect of staying illegally after a negative decision or many others.

Geriatric Pirate fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Dec 20, 2016

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Plot twist:

https://twitter.com/welt/status/811181202623303680

The real suspect is still at large on foot and he's armed.

Edit:

orange sky posted:

Yeah, so... To be fair, it turns out that it's the police that wasn't a good source.

Kassad fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Kassad posted:

The real suspect is apparently still at large on foot and he's armed.

hosed up if true, Weihnachten is cancelled