Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.

Exioce posted:

Hmm, you've given me some serious pause for thought now about getting that card, and I've cancelled my order. My entire set-up is completely ancient. We're talking a Wolfdale E5400 cpu. Perhaps it would be more economical to just wait for the Christmas sales and buy the budget build components recommended in this forum? I do want to get back into gaming a little, things like Elite Dangerous (Low graphical setting is okay with me, if not ideal), so a discreet GPU card is to a certain degree necessary. Maybe the RX 460 is the absolute minimum I really should go for.

If you're willing to entertain the idea of a 2nd hand card, you could probably pick up a 750ti for ariund £50 from Gumtree, or £120-150 for a 970gtx from eBay over Christmas.

Or a 560ti, which is about level with a 750ti but is only worth about £30 on ebay these days. Though I'd seriously consider a 970 if you did go the 2nd hand route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Who is it in here that's after a single slot gpu?.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Lungboy posted:

Sweet. Now all we need is a half height one.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Lungboy posted:

Wow, I really like the look of that card. It's going to be interesting to see how it performs.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Lungboy posted:

In the very end of that article:

quote:

One more nice news nugget from the 2016 Galax & Nvidia Carnival was that a Galax GeForce GTX 1060 HOF GOC managed to hit 3010MHz (3.01GHz) on its Pascal-based GP106 core. At this record breaking speed its pixel fill rate performance was said to be better than that of a GTX 1080…
:captainpop:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Lungboy posted:

Anime Schoolgirl, but they're after a single-slot AND low-profile card.

So, y'know. Good-natured schadenfreude?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

:negative:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Buy a new case.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
That's what I've been freaking telling them for the past year!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Haquer posted:

Buy a new case.
I might be getting to that option next year (the RVZ-02 with an RX 480, specifically), I just have a huge loving boner for tiny cards

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

SinineSiil posted:

So that's... the power of Pascal...!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
"Free game codes to users who rank most negative and most positive on our sentiment tools"

Free games for the most negative huh? Challenge accepted...

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

"dear nvidia, the geforce gtx 1070 set my house on fire, killed my cat, carpet bombed syria, and told a kid santa wasn't real"

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Lowclock posted:

Power consumption and fan noise mostly. Most of what I can find about frame rate limiting is conjecture and bickering on counterstrike and moba forums, so I was wondering if there's any actual objective measurable information on the subject anywhere.

edit: or maybe I should just use adaptive vsync??? I'd prefer no input lag over no tearing, but I'm wondering what technique will get the best compromise between the two without shelling out a grand on gsync monitors.

edit2: or fast sync and an fps limit just over refresh rate? Too many options.

Yeah, using frame rate caps of "(x)Hz - 1" is entirely subjective and has no scientific basis. The reason there's conjecture and bickering is that input lag is a very subjective thing and lots of people don't even notice it.

If your priority is lower power consumption > no input lag > no tearing, then just a frame rate cap is best, though you will have tearing. You could try fast sync with a frame rate limit, but that basically is the worst possible setup for fast sync as the potential interval between frames (and thus the temporal variation/perceived hitch) is going to be larger.

Adaptive Vsync won't help you at all, it's for the different issue of running below monitor refresh rate (which doesn't seem to be your case).

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Alright I'm curious what case you have because I imagine something the size of a toaster or that SFF case which is literally modeled after a train

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I might be getting to that option next year (the RVZ-02 with an RX 480, specifically), I just have a huge loving boner for tiny cards

I have the RVZ 02 and I am super happy with that form factor and general layout, but that case is still designed to take massive cards so there is still room for even smaller cases if you're going to go for a small card regardless. I don't know if they're on the market though. But, I'd take a hard look at the Node 202 if you're looking at the RVZ 02, unfortunately they just weren't available at the time when I bought my case.

The RVZ 02 is definitely worth the money... but not a penny more. It's almost there. I can't get over the feeling its simply a late model prototype that was rushed through to production. Maybe they have a "2.0" by now though since every single issue I have with it could be fixed in an hour and may not even rate a new model

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Dali Parton posted:

Alright I'm curious what case you have because I imagine something the size of a toaster or that SFF case which is literally modeled after a train

If there was ever a good half-height, single slot GPU, then the "Antec ISK 300-150" would be a prime candidate coupled with an HDPlex 250w: https://www.amazon.com/Antec-ISK-300-150-Mini-ITX-Computer/dp/B0035FIS2O

Edit: It does have side-vents at least.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Dali Parton posted:

one the size of a toaster pretty much

http://www.in-win.com.tw/Corporate/en/goods.php?act=view&id=BP655

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

SinineSiil posted:

quote:

One more nice news nugget from the 2016 Galax & Nvidia Carnival was that a Galax GeForce GTX 1060 HOF GOC managed to hit 3010MHz (3.01GHz) on its Pascal-based GP106 core. At this record breaking speed its pixel fill rate performance was said to be better than that of a GTX 1080…

I almost missed this. If true, this would all but confirm my suspicion of artificial limiting of Pascal. Afaik even hardcore nitrogen overclockers were unable to get much out of Pascal (at first anyway, I havent kept up). 3000 mhz is such a gigantic leap they must have surpassed whatever measures that were in place to keep it around 2000 mhz.

please please please please someone crack this so my 1070 can be god tier

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Well, if Nvidia suspected Volta was going to take even longer (the rumored late 2018 date) then I guess a weird artificial limit on Pascal to justify a "refresh" makes sense from a financial standpoint? Still, I'm not seeing how an additional 1000mhz would help the 1060 reach GTX 1080 levels since Pascal demonstrates diminishing returns on pushing the clocks higher than 1900Mhz, and that even a 3000Mhz GP106 will only hit 7.68 TFLOPs, that's only enough to challenge a GTX 1070, definitely not a 1080.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

FaustianQ posted:

Well, if Nvidia suspected Volta was going to take even longer (the rumored late 2018 date) then I guess a weird artificial limit on Pascal to justify a "refresh" makes sense from a financial standpoint? Still, I'm not seeing how an additional 1000mhz would help the 1060 reach GTX 1080 levels since Pascal demonstrates diminishing returns on pushing the clocks higher than 1900Mhz, and that even a 3000Mhz GP106 will only hit 7.68 TFLOPs, that's only enough to challenge a GTX 1070, definitely not a 1080.

That's more or less what I thought too. Since everything basically OC'd to the same level when everything was released I figured either 1) they created a perfectly consistent product or 2) they forced limits to make the 1100 series look like a worthwhile buy. Which they could only do if there was no competition from AMD... which there wasn't.

That's a pessimistic view but I was always suspecting it after the nitrogen dudes couldn't get jack out of Pascal.

On one hand that means Pascal is really fantastic hardware so thats a "positive", but on the other hand its lame as poo poo of course.

Again this is all pessimistic speculation but if they really got 3000 mhz out of a 1060 there is suddenly a little credibility to it all versus none that I had before.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Dali Parton posted:

Yeah I called them after 7 days and they essentially said it could take up to a month and there's nothing they could do about it. Their website officially says 5-15 business days. Ill give them a call in the morning. I'm going to be out of town for a month at the end of the week and I have this feeling they're going to magically be done right when that happens.

You play fire when you go with the absolute lowest cost card. I will say that Evga has a top notch rma program as at least you have visibility on your RMA.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

penus penus penus posted:

I almost missed this. If true, this would all but confirm my suspicion of artificial limiting of Pascal. Afaik even hardcore nitrogen overclockers were unable to get much out of Pascal (at first anyway, I havent kept up). 3000 mhz is such a gigantic leap they must have surpassed whatever measures that were in place to keep it around 2000 mhz.

please please please please someone crack this so my 1070 can be god tier
the funniest part is that this is the cruelest answer to a potential amd leapfrog with vega if it's true that pascal can go upwards of 2.5ghz

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the funniest part is that this is the cruelest answer to a potential amd leapfrog with vega if it's true that pascal can go upwards of 2.5ghz

If I can squeeze 3ghz out of my 2ghz Titan XP that would be god level VR experience and ultrawide performance.

But with how small the manufacturing process is, would electromigration become more of problem?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

incoherent posted:

You play fire when you go with the absolute lowest cost card. I will say that Evga has a top notch rma program as at least you have visibility on your RMA.
I remember my 970 and 5870 before it were a bit more expensive compared to the lowest offerings. But hah, come to think of it, my 5870 also had a defect where it couldn't run at stock speeds, requiring under-clocking instead. I didn't know MSI was so far down the line.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

That's me. I'm ready to "Step Up"

I definitely might be interested as long as it isn't something like "Trade in your 980Ti for $100 off a 1080Ti" like phone companies try to do to get you to buy a new phone and trade in your "Old iPhone 7, S7, etc $600 phone for $100 off the new one".

Also WTF a 1060 hitting 3GHZ is impressive. I remember when I was able to pull like 25-50Mhz out of my Voodoo banshee and it gave me like 10FPS more to play games back in the early 2000's (and a similar OC on a Geforce 2 MX for Tribes 2). Now with OC'ing being soo easy, and still 100+ MHZ changes and 400+ Mhz on memory, it is pretty incredible if much more boring since all the "work and art" to do it, is all gone.

I miss OC'ing my X48 based LGA775 chips too. Being able to buy a 1.8Ghz Dual Core Pentium for $60 and OC it to 3.4+Ghz was a lot of fun back then. I was able to do that even on a few lovely MSI and ECS boards that came free with the CPU from Frys lol. Maybe not 3.4ghz on those, but easily 3.0 with stock voltage even.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 19, 2016

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

penus penus penus posted:

The RVZ 02 is definitely worth the money... but not a penny more. It's almost there. I can't get over the feeling its simply a late model prototype that was rushed through to production. Maybe they have a "2.0" by now though since every single issue I have with it could be fixed in an hour and may not even rate a new model

What issues were you having specifically? Im further tempted to go even smaller and that seems like a case worth looking into. Hows thermals? I've read a few bad reviews about mega-hot CPUs and thats my biggest concern. Im not overclocking and the stock intel cooler for my i5 6500 is better than mine.

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Jan posted:

Yeah, using frame rate caps of "(x)Hz - 1" is entirely subjective and has no scientific basis. The reason there's conjecture and bickering is that input lag is a very subjective thing and lots of people don't even notice it.

If your priority is lower power consumption > no input lag > no tearing, then just a frame rate cap is best, though you will have tearing. You could try fast sync with a frame rate limit, but that basically is the worst possible setup for fast sync as the potential interval between frames (and thus the temporal variation/perceived hitch) is going to be larger.

Adaptive Vsync won't help you at all, it's for the different issue of running below monitor refresh rate (which doesn't seem to be your case).

Thanks for the input. I just decided to do some testing and figure it out for myself.

The main problem was in GTAV I would get some big pauses when driving out in the middle of nowhere.

No vsync no limiter = big pauses
No vsync + limiter = no pauses but worse tearing
Regular vsync = no tearing or pausing, but frame rate fluctuates in greater amounts to stay synced when under the refresh rate.
Fast sync no limiter = big pauses no tearing
Fast sync + higher limiter = frame skips but no tearing
Fast sync + lower limiter = frame skips and tearing
Adaptive vsync + lower limiter = frame skips and tearing
Adaptive vsync alone = buttery smooth with a little tearing under refresh.

So I guess adaptive vsync it is. With pre-rendered frames set to 1 and triple buffering off, I don't really see any noticeable lag, though this isn't really the best test for that aspect of sync/limiting methods. I might mess with it some more in the future, but adaptive vsync seems to do just what I want for now. No excessive frame rendering meaning lower heat and noise, minor tearing but still higher frame rates when under the refresh rate, and minimal lag.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Phone posting here but you can set frame limit to 1 in a config file for GTAV

That fixed the issue you are describing for me

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Icept posted:

Phone posting here but you can set frame limit to 1 in a config file for GTAV

That fixed the issue you are describing for me
I didn't know that, thanks. I'll probably still keep adaptive refresh since there's other games without built in limiters and it seems to be the cleanest way to get what I'm looking for.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Dali Parton posted:

What issues were you having specifically? Im further tempted to go even smaller and that seems like a case worth looking into. Hows thermals? I've read a few bad reviews about mega-hot CPUs and thats my biggest concern. Im not overclocking and the stock intel cooler for my i5 6500 is better than mine.

My issues are all small issues. The way to sides go together is more obnoxious than it needs to be. There are literally like 16 screw holes for the two panels (you need like 4 or 6 tops). The feet seem like a total afterthought added after the case was made and are designed stupidly, I dont even use them anymore. There are clever 2.5" drive flip out slots that are great... except one of them is half an inch higher for no reason at all which makes plugging in power and sata a pain. That wouldn't be much of a problem in itself if they just left slots open on the bottom of the tray for sata and power - which they almost did, but there's just barely enough material there to prevent you from doing it. The power plug relocation cable is backwards for some reason and forcing it to bend 180 degrees in a very tight space... and makes no sense to begin with since it routes the cable to the other end of the case. It has no purpose other than to add another cable to route in a small case.

Sounds bad all written together but here are the pros

- Fits almost every GPU you can buy, even bigger ones than they say are possible, while still remaining just a few inches wide
- The 90 degree PCIe adapter is very well thought out and rock solid. It mounts directly to the case so there is no strain on either your GPU or motherboard
- General case layout makes use of ~90% of available space. The layout is A+
- For what it is, thermals are fantastic - if you have the right parts. I use a relatively tiny AR06 cooler and OC to 4.6 ghz at ~1.35 volts with no issue whatsoever. Without an OC, I don't see any problem if you have a modern Intel CPU. The chamber separation really works well to keep one part from heating up another (ie the GPU going full throttle isn't going to heat up your CPU).
- With no case fans and a modern GPU + CPU, this thing operates dead silent when you aren't gaming.

Some caveats. It has nice magnetic filters for the chambers - but they increase the temps. I stopped using them after a month or so. The dust accumulation without case fans is extremely minimal. Because I'm a temperature freak, I actually don't have my GPU cover on at all since the case is so thin it just stands up behind my monitor I can't see it anyway, and even then there is practically no dust. But with the cover on and no filter I only gain 3-5* C over what is essentially an open air test bench. Not bad.

If you lay this case on its side the CPU temps will go way up I'm sure. To me the main appeal is how narrow it is standing up, but I can see this being a case people want to put in a home theater cubby style slot. There is no way around the fact this will make your temps rise. Even so I wouldn't worry so much with a i5 6500

Good case. The Node 202 is the only competing one im aware of

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

EdEddnEddy posted:

I miss OC'ing my X48 based LGA775 chips too. Being able to buy a 1.8Ghz Dual Core Pentium for $60 and OC it to 3.4+Ghz was a lot of fun back then. I was able to do that even on a few lovely MSI and ECS boards that came free with the CPU from Frys lol. Maybe not 3.4ghz on those, but easily 3.0 with stock voltage even.

Same here, LGA775 dual and quad Intel chips could overclock like crazy, I had a Q9400 running on air that hit almost 4GHz and that thing lasted longer than most any rig before it did. I think even 6600 quads were hitting close or above that, they had an insane amount of headroom for the time.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Sure. _ON LN2_.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sure. _ON LN2_.

I think this is the part everyone is missing.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
If you're not running LN2 I don't know why you're even in this thread tbh.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Thanks for the writeup man. I think the only thing keeping me from instantly buying it is that i'd need a new SFX PSU, which means getting rid of my ATX EVGA PSU. But ill continue this convo in the SFF thread!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

DrDork posted:

If you're not running LN2 I don't know why you're even in this thread tbh.

I'm surprised no 'money is no object' hobbyist hasn't tried to construct a closed-loop LN2 cooling system (yes I know the infeasibility of this). I've also heard very little about phase change/refrigerant-based cooling systems in a long time.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most sub-ambient cooling I hear about involves chilling water, these days.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
sub ambient is poo poo unless you live in a lab and can control humidity.

or a desert, that works too I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Jesus, if I have to start taking loving LIQUID NITROGEN results into account as to which video card I buy, gently caress it, I'm out.