Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

dragon enthusiast posted:

new flagship looks duuuuuuuumb as gently caress

you shut up the jet dragon is great. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I'm inclined to agree. It feels like everything is bloating out of control. Like the end of Akira, with more hats made of monsters.

Dual Blades for cats is sick though.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

turn ur monitor on

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Look I hate the dumb Frontier spikes-on-everything designs as much as the next fantastical beast anatomy nerd but if you can't appreciate Jet Turbine Gore Magala then you can get the hell out :colbert:

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

Not the kind of comment I'd expect from a dragon enthusiast. All monsters are special in their own way and I look forward to being knocked down a million times by this new precious baby.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Is that a rocket dragon?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Stormgale posted:

Is that a rocket dragon?

Yes, and it is glorious. My handsome son, my ultrasonic lizard child

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

It is apparently a jet dragon with swords for wings too.

I love everything about this.

Also I really really really want to see Deviant Astalos's equipment, that blue color looks so sick on it.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Squidtentacle posted:

It is apparently a jet dragon with swords for wings too.

I love everything about this.

Also I really really really want to see Deviant Astalos's equipment, that blue color looks so sick on it.

I am extremely hyped for Deviant Astalos because my number one problem with the regular Astalos equipment is that the electric element hit animation is still blue. Finally I'll be able to use his cool rear end weapons without having my ocd constantly triggered!

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

AttackBacon posted:

I am extremely hyped for Deviant Astalos because my number one problem with the regular Astalos equipment is that the electric element hit animation is still blue. Finally I'll be able to use his cool rear end weapons without having my ocd constantly triggered!

If you dye his armor, it changes the color of the glowy bits.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

deadly_pudding posted:

If you dye his armor, it changes the color of the glowy bits.

I know but it's the weapons that are the problem! Not that they are really good enough to use much at endgame in Cross but that'll be fixed with a Deviant version as well.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

AttackBacon posted:

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I was really glad (if maybe not surprised) that the switch axe and charge blade were set as elemental type phials, since that would keep the green lightning bursts. If only the elemental impacts could be altered a little, too.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have a couple of long flights in the next few weeks so I'm going to finally put some serious playing into this thing (still only Village 4/HR 3). What High-Rank gear should I look out for as a Hammer user?

BipolarAurora
Jan 1, 2013

New Double Cross videos showing SP mode and Alchemy style:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtdxdCg_hCM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVdXPStWNos

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
What's SP mode? I can't really figure it out just based on the video.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Countblanc posted:

What's SP mode? I can't really figure it out just based on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE6MPeGs2Yc

The short of it, it gives you buffs depending on what style you are using. You activate it by either you or someone in the same area as you activating a hunter arte that has been set as the SP arte.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking for games to play over the holidays (no computer) and remembered that I never really got into much of HR/online stuff in Generations. Also that the game is the best game ever.

So uh, I have two questions; 1) will I have any luck online nowadays and 2) how exactly does online work again? I remember reading that you have to do quests twice and stuff, and it sounds like a hassle to organize (I've literally never touched the feature).

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

You'll do fine online, there's still plenty of people playing.

And online is TRUE MONSTER HUNTER; it's an entirely separate line of quests than the singleplayer village quests. Fewer gathering missions and such, more Big Monstas; There's tiers just like offline, but they're organized by HR instead of stars, and that's pretty much it.

Oh, if you haven't been getting the free DLCs, go do that. Just grab everything, it's primarily extra missions with weird equipment as loot.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

John Lee posted:

You'll do fine online, there's still plenty of people playing.

Good to hear! I had an absolute blast single-player, and I honestly kinda wish there was more of it. I mean, I still spent like 150 hours just in single-player but.. The reason I haven't done any online yet because I fear I'll screw up and make people angry :saddowns: I don't know the etiquette of MH online interactions, and I'm the type of person who will usually play solo even in stuff like MMORPGs. I know it's possible to do a lot of the online stuff (or perhaps all of it if you're crazy?) solo, but stuff like difficult multi-monster hunts makes me want to at least give online an honest try first.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Your Computer posted:

I remember reading that you have to do quests twice and stuff, and it sounds like a hassle to organize (I've literally never touched the feature).

With Urgent quests, quest completion only counts for the host. Unfortunately in MHGen they added a ton of other quests that act like this, namely villager requests and deviant monsters.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Get in the discord in the OP and you should be able to find some goodhunters to play with.

Other than that, avoid hitting people, don't just run into a hub and post your quest going 'plz hepl', bring potions and mega potions and don't take every item in the item box for yourself.

As long as you're hitting the monster and not getting hit too much yourself you'll be doing good.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, etiquette is super simple. Generally don't put up a quest yourself; when you join a room, the room will usually say what everyone's in for ("Hunting Gore Magala!"). If you've been on a few quests, and you want to another thing, feel free to ask the other people in the room to see if they want to join you. The biggest deal is to be aware of which moves your weapon has that knock people around heavily. Hammer and Hunting Horn can send people flying, so be careful about that. If you're maining a different weapon than you were in singleplayer (or just starting a new character) keep an eye on what things gently caress up others, and try to do them when people aren't around.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

You'll want to bring lifepowders and remind your comrades to do the same. You can also always be the one to eat for insurance too and make sure it's always up.

Multiplayer is surprisingly low pressure outside of the elder dragons in generations. With 4 players and lifepowders you will not die outside of one shots.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I already consider myself pretty good in the "hit monster and don't get hit" department so my worry is mostly in the online-specific etiquette :v: Thanks for the tips!

Is it mostly joining other lobbies or creating ones for yourself and hoping people'll show up? Do you clear the first X number of quests solo and then find people for the big stuff? How good are the communication features?

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

I already consider myself pretty good in the "hit monster and don't get hit" department so my worry is mostly in the online-specific etiquette :v: Thanks for the tips!

Is it mostly joining other lobbies or creating ones for yourself and hoping people'll show up? Do you clear the first X number of quests solo and then find people for the big stuff? How good are the communication features?

If you're just looking to farm certain monsters or charms then hopping into an existing lobby is totally fine. If you're looking to clear all your quests or target the key quests only then making your own specific lobby might be best. You'll probably want to do the kill 50 bnahabra type quests alone. They're much quicker in a team but still the very definition of tedium and you're unlikely to see people actually stick around to do them.

There's nothing stopping you from diving right into HR once unlocked. Taking the time to get an early HR set solo or making sure you have a good late LR set would certainly be appreciated though. You probably wont find many rooms for hunting Great Maccao and the like so you may end up doing that type of quest solo too. You'll be swimming in fated four rooms though.

The communication tools aren't the best and the character limit on messages kinda sucks but it's totally adequate. You should have plenty of time to ask people to bring bombs for when you sleep the monster etc when people are restocking their inventory in even the fastest paced rooms. The preset lines in quest only really need to be changed if you wan't to add a little bit of flair and uniqueness.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Can somebody explain the armour in this game to me? Why doesn't my character have any trousers?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

bloodclot posted:

Can somebody explain the armour in this game to me? Why doesn't my character have any trousers?

Is your character a woman? The answer is "Japan".

Real answer: if the armor happens to include pants, they are usually part of the "greaves" slot, which is boots/legs. The waist slot is typically a belt/kilt.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

deadly_pudding posted:

Is your character a woman? The answer is "Japan".

Real answer: if the armor happens to include pants, they are usually part of the "greaves" slot, which is boots/legs. The waist slot is typically a belt/kilt.
I'm wearing the entire Maccao set and it still genuinely looks like I'm missing something. Is this really supposed to be titillating?

basalt fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 20, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As cool as the Monster Hunter series is, it still has it's fair share of titplate, lack of pants and other dumb gendered armor. It's no Dark Souls in that department, but at least most of the armors are pretty good :sigh:

Completely unrelated: are there any good Monster Hunter youtubers/streamers? Not for weapon tutorials and stuff (Gaijinhunter etc.) but just... hunting and playing the game?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

It's really dumb and insulting how few lady armors include honest pants. There are sets where it looks like your hunter's decked out in tank plating except for a glaringly exposed window of your crotch and inner thighs because what even are arteries, really. It's idiotic. Not even from a titillation standpoint, it's just straight-up stupid and is one of my only complaints about the aesthetic of the series. Monster Hunter is a game about playing as tiny, squishy humans fighting monsters orders of magnitude beyond your size and strength. As a hunter, your only real defense against being pasted instantly is your armor. Boob windows don't make any sense for this thematically or practically, cover that poo poo up or you're gonna get gored.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

It probably says a lot about my naivety (I haven't played many Japanese games) that it didn't even occur to me that this was a conscious design choice. It just looks strange. I must have gone through the armour menu a dozen times looking for the piece I was sure I had missed.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Hunters do not normally employ pants, ineffectual against the strength of the beasts as they tend to be. Pants are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I mean honestly, it's not so much "Japan" as it is the fantasy genre (and videogames) in general :v: Western games do the exact same thing to the point where "boob plate" is a term everyone understands.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Cicadas! posted:

It's really dumb and insulting how few lady armors include honest pants. There are sets where it looks like your hunter's decked out in tank plating except for a glaringly exposed window of your crotch and inner thighs because what even are arteries, really. It's idiotic. Not even from a titillation standpoint, it's just straight-up stupid and is one of my only complaints about the aesthetic of the series. Monster Hunter is a game about playing as tiny, squishy humans fighting monsters orders of magnitude beyond your size and strength. As a hunter, your only real defense against being pasted instantly is your armor. Boob windows don't make any sense for this thematically or practically, cover that poo poo up or you're gonna get gored.

This is my main beef with the series, at least aesthetically. I went through and ground out enough tickets to make a fully upgrade a set of Silverwind armor... only to discover that the chest piece is even skimpier than the regular Narga armor and the legs are a goddamn thong. :gonk: No, I think my dignity is worth more than some broken evasion skills, as good as they are.

So I made the Snowbaron set instead. Not only does it look cute, it has nice skills too.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Your Computer posted:

As cool as the Monster Hunter series is, it still has it's fair share of titplate, lack of pants and other dumb gendered armor. It's no Dark Souls in that department, but at least most of the armors are pretty good :sigh:

Completely unrelated: are there any good Monster Hunter youtubers/streamers? Not for weapon tutorials and stuff (Gaijinhunter etc.) but just... hunting and playing the game?

Octaneblue and his posse have done tons and tons of group hunts across the last 4 games or so. His MHGen playlist starts here.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
I'd say that a lot of the MH armors that are skimpy for one gender are the same for the other. The worst complaint I could level against most of it is that the designer must have a huge hard-on for seeing bare thighs.

Some of the deviant and small monster armors in gen are really bad exceptions to that. Male version of Silverwind is bad and the female version of Grimclaw is bad.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Silver Falcon posted:

This is my main beef with the series, at least aesthetically. I went through and ground out enough tickets to make a fully upgrade a set of Silverwind armor... only to discover that the chest piece is even skimpier than the regular Narga armor and the legs are a goddamn thong. :gonk: No, I think my dignity is worth more than some broken evasion skills, as good as they are.

So I made the Snowbaron set instead. Not only does it look cute, it has nice skills too.

somewhere, in the alternate timeline

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Your Computer posted:

I mean honestly, it's not so much "Japan" as it is the fantasy genre (and videogames) in general :v: Western games do the exact same thing to the point where "boob plate" is a term everyone understands.

I think that's a different, though related, issue. Boob plate can still otherwise resemble a functional suit of armor, like in Skyrim. What Monster Hunter has is "chainmail bikini"

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Minrad posted:

somewhere, in the alternate timeline

:aaa: Yes, please, tell me more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

deadly_pudding posted:

I think that's a different, though related, issue. Boob plate can still otherwise resemble a functional suit of armor, like in Skyrim. What Monster Hunter has is "chainmail bikini"

You're right, I messed up my female fantasy armor terminology :negative:

I still maintain that it's a deep-rooted issue with the fantasy genre in general though, rather than a "Japan" thing. Remember how blatant they used to be about it, too!

"fantasy.jpg"

Games that use the same armor for male and female characters are still few and far between, but we've come a long way. Japan might lag behind though, what with otaku subculture and such :v:

• Locked thread