Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

CellBlock posted:

If a pass was knocked out of the air by a flying dildo; I have no idea how they would handle that, but it would be a heck of a throw from the crowd to get a rubber dong into a passing lane.

If that happens there's a coin toss to determine which team gets to have the fan with the laser-accurate arm take over at QB. That team's regular QB then sits in the fan's seat for the remainder of the game, and under the collective bargaining agreement he is entitled to one hot dog and one bud light per quarter of play remaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This doesn't answer any questions but I swear I remember some super old NFL highlight where a fan snuck onto the field and actually played defense on a goal line pass and no one noticed.

Deteriorata if you're still lurking this thread you might remember, I want to say it was the Jets for some reason but maybe that's not right. I'm having a hard time googling it but I know there's video somewhere.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Grittybeard posted:

This doesn't answer any questions but I swear I remember some super old NFL highlight where a fan snuck onto the field and actually played defense on a goal line pass and no one noticed.

Deteriorata if you're still lurking this thread you might remember, I want to say it was the Jets for some reason but maybe that's not right. I'm having a hard time googling it but I know there's video somewhere.

I would love to see this today for no other reason than I have never seen a human being explode into a red mist before.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

November 3, 1961 - Boston Patriots vs. the Dallas Texans

http://www.foxsports.com/buzzer/story/fan-runs-on-the-field-joins-patriots-defense-080714

The guy batted down a pass in the end zone and won the game. The Patriots have been cheaters right from the start. :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEjh2EVLD-s

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That's some serious Leatherheads bullshit right there, imo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Found this NYT article which was the basis for the above story:

A Team’s Ragtag Roots - Early Patriots Were a Comical Traveling Sideshow

A fun look at life in the AFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Pro football was hilariously bush league back in the early days. There's a reason it never got serious mainstream attention until the Super Bowl era.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The Sky Sports feeds from the UK are so good for analysing plays, in that they actually offer play analysis while everyone else is watching ads for pickup trucks and dick pills.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why do US sports look list a percentage stat and then not display it as a percentage?

Serotonin posted:

Cheers. I carefully looked at what was on offer compared to the official release ( Falcons Jones elite shirt in black ) and 28$ compared to 240 seemed a reasonable gamble. The pics of the fakes if indicative of what I receive seem ok. Plus I'm in the UK. No fucker will know the difference here

EDIT- well this has worked out well- the store I ordered from has vanished! Payment still processing but no idea if I will get my stuff.

I've used GoogleJerseys for years and never had an issue. I've never owned an authentic jersey so I can't directly compare but I can seem to see any floors apart from maybe some stitch ends that can be trimmed off with a pair of scissors. The domain seems to change every month but the email communications with the guy that runs it are good (if not full of hilarious Engrish)

http://www.google-jerseys.cc/

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Would it be legal to go for 2 points, then do a drop kick for 1 point?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

swickles posted:

I think they banned the drop-kick PAT a few years ago because the NFL hates fun things.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

swickles posted:

Not in the NFL.

11-3-1 posted:

The Try begins when the Referee sounds the whistle for play to start. The team that scored the touchdown shall put the ball in
play:
(a) anywhere on or between the inbound lines
(b) 15 yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try-kick
(c) two yards from the defensive team’s goal line for a Try by pass or run

skaboomizzy posted:

I think they banned the drop-kick PAT a few years ago because the NFL hates fun things.
It's still there. A PAT has to be a field goal, but a field goal may be a dropkick:

11-3-2 posted:

During a Try, the following shall apply:
(a) If a kick results in a field goal by the offense, one point is awarded. An artificial or manufactured tee shall not be permitted
to assist in the execution of a Try-kick. (The conditions of 11-4-1 must be met.)

11-4-1 posted:

A field goal is scored when all of the following conditions are met:
(a) The kick must be a placekick or dropkick made by the offense from on or behind the line of scrimmage or from the spot of
a fair catch (fair-catch kick). If a fair catch is made or awarded outside the inbound line, the spot of the kick is the nearest
inbound line.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

ulmont posted:

It's still there. A PAT has to be a field goal, but a field goal may be a dropkick:

I think you can still drop kick, you just have to do it from the longer distance. Which...yeah kind of defeats the point but it's still a legal play in that instance.

Say Richard Sherman is 5 yards offside and the holder spins out of things and tries a drop kick while Sherman's destroying the kicker's plant leg, it would be legal if he managed to make it I think?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Grittybeard posted:

I think you can still drop kick, you just have to do it from the longer distance.

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

ulmont posted:

Yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you kick it from the closer distance, it's not allowed. The point is simply no good. It must be kicked from the 15.

I believe you can still run it in for two from the 15, though, if the snap was flubbed or something.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Deteriorata posted:

If you kick it from the closer distance, it's not allowed. The point is simply no good. It must be kicked from the 15.

I believe you can still run it in for two from the 15, though, if the snap was flubbed or something.

Tony Romo attempted this with hilarious results, yes. :romo:

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Looten Plunder posted:

Why do US sports look list a percentage stat and then not display it as a percentage?

I've used GoogleJerseys for years and never had an issue. I've never owned an authentic jersey so I can't directly compare but I can seem to see any floors apart from maybe some stitch ends that can be trimmed off with a pair of scissors. The domain seems to change every month but the email communications with the guy that runs it are good (if not full of hilarious Engrish)

http://www.google-jerseys.cc/

The jersey from the disappeared store on aliexpress turned up and in really pleased with it I posted some pics in the jersey thread. There's a couple of areas of dodgy stitching on close scrutiny but nothing that worries me. Still awaiting the other shirt I ordered from Jenna store though.

Tommy Tighthole
Aug 19, 2008
Please excuse my poor wording, but does anyone have a link to the site (maybe 538?) that tells you who to root for week to week that'll help your teams playoff chances? Like, it had a breakdown of games that meant more than others. I know I'm describing this very badly, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, that would be awesome!

darkforce898
Sep 11, 2007

Tommy Tighthole posted:

Please excuse my poor wording, but does anyone have a link to the site (maybe 538?) that tells you who to root for week to week that'll help your teams playoff chances? Like, it had a breakdown of games that meant more than others. I know I'm describing this very badly, if anyone knows what I'm talking about, that would be awesome!

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/nfl-playoff-simulator-every-teams-playoff-picture.html

Tommy Tighthole
Aug 19, 2008

gently caress yea, thanks!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wow that is a really well done site.

Windmill Hut
Jul 21, 2008

What is the rationale behind Divisions > Overall Standings in each conference, for the playoffs? The Texans currently being seeded higher than the Raiders despite having won 3 less games just seems so odd.

I tried google but couldn't really find the article i was looking for, and thought someone could explain it here (if there is even any good reason for it at all).

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Windmill Hut posted:

What is the rationale behind Divisions > Overall Standings in each conference, for the playoffs? The Texans currently being seeded higher than the Raiders despite having won 3 less games just seems so odd.

I tried google but couldn't really find the article i was looking for, and thought someone could explain it here (if there is even any good reason for it at all).

What rights do you have in the playoffs if you don't even win your own division?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Windmill Hut posted:

A division winner has always historically hosted a playoff game. There's no other rationale.

I'd be in favor of still giving division winners guaranteed playoff spots, but ordering them based on overall record once they're in the playoffs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Windmill Hut posted:

If your team is so good they should have won their division. Clearly they're not if they didn't.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

a neat cape posted:

A division winner has always historically hosted a playoff game. There's no other rationale.

I'd be in favor of still giving division winners guaranteed playoff spots, but ordering them based on overall record once they're in the playoffs.

Ya. :(

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Chichevache posted:

If your team is so good they should have won their division. Clearly they're not if they didn't.

The Raiders went 6-0 in their division and 2-8 outside their division. Should they have won a playoff spot?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

The Raiders went 6-0 in their division and 2-8 outside their division. Should they have won a playoff spot?

Of course. Not much point in having divisions if they don't mean anything. Wild cards pick up the slack for divisions with several good teams.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Deteriorata posted:

Of course. Not much point in having divisions if they don't mean anything. Wild cards pick up the slack for divisions with several good teams.

The Raiders did not win the division that year.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Absolutely. They and their division played one schedule and set of teams. The other divisions play another set.

If the 2010 Saints couldn't beat the 7-9 Seahawks in the wildcard game why do they deserve a home game in the first place? They should be able to walk all over a below .500 team.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ya. :(

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
There's some reasoning in the NFL where you don't play a balanced schedule and schedule matters a lot.

But get out of here with that "if you didnt win the division why are you in the playoffs horseshit". Weve had 13 win teams who didnt win their division and 7 win teams who did, and the schedule favoured the weaker teams rather than the stronger.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

a neat cape posted:

That's actually not true, after the merger until a second wild-card team was added, one of the 3 division champions did not have a home game.

But the general logic behind the whole seeding system is that winning your division should be more prestigious than "just" getting a wild card.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Do players wear/have the option of wearing any lower leg protection at all? I've seen a few tackles over the last few weeks have have essentially been stud-on-shin tackles, but there's been surprisingly few leg breaks (I'm comparing this to soccer, which sees at least one major leg break every season even with shin pads). I'm assuming the difference is that players aren't generally flying in at leg height for the ball, but still.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

EvilHawk posted:

Do players wear/have the option of wearing any lower leg protection at all? I've seen a few tackles over the last few weeks have have essentially been stud-on-shin tackles, but there's been surprisingly few leg breaks (I'm comparing this to soccer, which sees at least one major leg break every season even with shin pads). I'm assuming the difference is that players aren't generally flying in at leg height for the ball, but still.

There's no rule against it as far as I know, but players generally don't like wearing more pads than they need to*. They think (and hell, maybe they're right) it slows them down. I think almost all skill position players don't wear knee pads anymore, and unless they were forced to by rule at some point and I missed it a lot of them don't wear thigh pads.

As to why there aren't more broken legs, I'd guess the difference is soccer guys are generally kicking around the shins in opposite directions and a guy getting tackled in the NFL isn't generating his own force into loving up his leg? Just speculation.

*--Quarterbacks are an exception, a lot of them wear a flack jacket type thing to protect their ribs. Also if a guy has had a knee injury he's likely to wear a brace.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The NFL actually did mandate thigh pads a few years ago. I don't know about the tangible benefits (almost nobody wore them anyway), but I have noticed a significant decrease in "thigh bruise" injury reports since the rule was implemented.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Can an ineligible receiver catch a backwards pass or a lateral?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Can an ineligible receiver catch a backwards pass or a lateral?

That's a trick question, as there are no ineligible receivers for a backward or lateral pass. The ineligible receiver rule applies only to forward passes.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
There was a cool example of this earlier this year, fat man drops waaaaay back behind the LoS on a trick play so it's a backwards pass and then houses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8Sho5suS0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Grittybeard posted:

There was a cool example of this earlier this year, fat man drops waaaaay back behind the LoS on a trick play so it's a backwards pass and then houses it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N8Sho5suS0

That's beautiful.

I also love that swagger he's got as he enters the end zone: "Yeah that just happened, that ain't no thing."

• Locked thread