Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

A minor nitpick, but grammatically-speaking it's 'president' as a singular noun and 'President ______' as a title, isn't it?

Yep!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

I'm a writer so I care about these things. :downs:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
http://edition.cnn.com/2016/12/18/politics/poll-russian-hacking/index.html

quote:

Washington (CNN)More than half of Americans say they're bothered by Russian hacks of Democratic emails in an effort to help Donald Trump win the election, a new NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll shows.
Fifty-five percent of Americans say they are at least quite a bit concerned about the Russian hacks, the poll shows. There is a sharp partisan divide, with 86% of Democrats saying they are concerned compared with 29% of Republicans.
However, most Americans do not believe Russian hacking influenced the outcome of the election.

Just 37% say they believe Russian hacking helped Trump defeat Hillary Clinton, while 57% say they think it had no impact.
Broadly, at 31%, more Americans said Trump is "too friendly" toward Russian President Vladimir Putin than the 24% who said he's "not too friendly." Another 44% had no opinion.
And about 50% of Americans said they approved of Trump's handling of the transition, while 41% disapprove, the survey shows. That approval number is significantly below President Barack Obama's in 2008 (73%) and Bill Clinton's in 1992 (77%).
The poll of 1,000 adults was conducted December 12-15 and has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.1 percentage points.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Apparently Obama has come out and said the Democrats don't need to change any policy, just the messenger

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Radish posted:

I had a co-worker tell me that the Gilded Age was obviously a good thing because otherwise why would they call it "gilded?" :smith:
And that friend was Donald Trump.

KomradeX posted:

Apparently Obama has come out and said the Democrats don't need to change any policy, just the messenger
It's funny because Donald Trump is going to erase all his accomplishments and make Obama nothing more than the answer to a trivia question.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Radish posted:

I had a co-worker tell me that the Gilded Age was obviously a good thing because otherwise why would they call it "gilded?" :smith:

That's a tricky argument. Did you attack the stupidity of thinking something's name must be true and descriptive of the thing, or did you decide to explain to them the hyper-appropriate difference between golden and gilded?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Higsian posted:

That's a tricky argument. Did you attack the stupidity of thinking something's name must be true and descriptive of the thing, or did you decide to explain to them the hyper-appropriate difference between golden and gilded?

I said nothing because that person could get me fired.

KomradeX posted:

Of course he did, it worked for him. REALLY can't wait to see how he fails at his plan on getting gerrymandering solved. It's pretty clear at this point that Obama is all talk and really doesn't actually give a poo poo beyond half hearted bipartisan-ism.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 19, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

KomradeX posted:

Worked for Trump (he's not going to do anything the GOP weren't already going to tear down), and if anyone would know, it's a center right technocrat.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Radish posted:

I said nothing because that person could get me fired.

Of course he did, it worked for him. REALLY can't wait to see how he fails at his plan on getting gerrymandering solved. It's pretty clear at this point that Obama is all talk and really doesn't actually give a poo poo beyond half hearted bipartisan-ism.

He's just one more Ivy League centrist retard.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Radish posted:

but... it was called gilded because the nice parts of it were entirely superficial....

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Radish posted:

It was pretty clear four years ago.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

John_A_Tallon posted:

It was pretty clear four years ago.

Yeah but there was always a excuse that he had to do it for whatever reason but post Trump he has no reason other than being sincere in his true love of polite capitulation.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

PT6A posted:

Not really. If everyone is forced into the same system, then the rich people will still ignore it and try to underfund it, until the exact point at which they need it, at which point they will bitch about it and go get medical treatment abroad anyway. The only way to make it work is to allow private healthcare, and make sure that it generates money that's funnelled back into the public system, and to tie medical licensure directly to providing service within the public system to some degree.

Walk this back for me because I'm not sure I follow you. How does the rich ignore the system? The alternative is Canada or Mexico/ overseas.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

CheeseSpawn posted:

Walk this back for me because I'm not sure I follow you. How does the rich ignore the system? The alternative is Canada or Mexico/ overseas.

Most rich people will still not need the system on a continual basis, because most people don't need healthcare constantly, and of the people that do, very few of them tend to be rich. So the system will tend to be underfunded and lovely as a rule.

When those rich people actually do need healthcare, there won't be time to fund the public system properly, so they will indeed go to another country for the healthcare they need. Granted, they'll probably still go to a local doctor for checkups and minor ailments, but anything significant, life-threatening or time-critical will be handled privately, and if that means going to another country, that's what will happen. That's what happens in Canada right now, in a lot of cases. You might as well keep that in the country, and use a significant portion of the proceeds to fund the public system. Or, as some provinces have done here, allow private clinics to operate only under the condition that they provide some level of services free to the public system.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

Any time the American health care system gets discussed, I get struck by how insane and byzantine literally any part of the process is. The fact that anyone can defend it's existence comes of as someone eloquently explaining the benefits of your house being on fire with you inside it.

Case in point:

enraged_camel posted:

Maybe, but the problem is that this happens through tremendously bloated and inefficient channels. If my premium goes up $50 year-over-year, only $5-10 of that increase actually pays for the bills of those who can't afford healthcare. The rest ends up in the pockets of various parties along the way.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Also known as jobs.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

Worked for Trump (he's not going to do anything the GOP weren't already going to tear down), and if anyone would know, it's a center right technocrat.

It just really sucks to know the Democrats aren't going to learn any lessons from the last 6 years and ate just going to become irrelevant as a political party because they can't be assed to give up center right bullshit

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

They'll learn three lessons:

- pander to court "moderate" republicans even more
- double down on women and silicon valley types making more than 50k
- pray white people die faster than the GOP can grow.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Mister Macys posted:

They'll learn three lessons:

- pander to court "moderate" republicans even more
- double down on women and silicon valley types making more than 50k
- pray white people die faster than the GOP can grow.

- We need bigger and better celebrities to sell our brand

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

We're so hosed

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Uh I'll have you know that the Democrats are quite popular which is why three of the last four people they've nominated for president as the best the party could offer were beaten by idiots so we don't need to change anything.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

Uh I'll have you know that the Democrats are quite popular which is why three of the last four people they've nominated for president as the best the party could offer were beaten by idiots so we don't need to change anything.

2.8 million votes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

You keep saying that but for some reason the electors just gave the presidency to Trump.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

botany posted:

2.8 million votes

So who should headline HRC's inauguration celebration, Beyonce or Katy Perry?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Lady Gaga, duh.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Like let's say that yeah nationally the Democrats are more popular, if they are so inept that the GOP manages to keep running circles around them and winning regardless that doesn't make them look like a more competent party.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
2.8 million votes is a mandate. A mandate to change from the broken electoral college system. But guess who benefits from the current system?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The Dems should have made that their goal after 2000 instead of just meekly accepting the system. Probably wouldn't have been able to do it, but at least it would be something to fight for.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

botany posted:

2.8 million votes
Pretty embarrassingly small margin to beat a racist human cheeto douschbag who was recorded saying that he sometimes just goes up and grabs a strange woman by the pussy as a come on. A man who has admitted, on camera, to sexually assaulting countless women. How revolting and repugnant do you have to be to still have 4/10 women go "Yeah, I'm voting for the guy who grabs other women by their genitals instead of casting my ballot for the first woman president". If she cares at all about feminism she should abandon politics altogether and just fund raise for Planned Parenthood full time.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

So who should headline HRC's inauguration celebration, Beyonce or Katy Perry?

lena dunham

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

- We need bigger and better celebrities to sell our brand

Kanye already said he's running in 2020 :newlol:

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Mister Macys posted:

Kanye already said he's running in 2020 :newlol:

he tweeted #2024 after meeting with trump and getting a signed copy of his autobiography :colbert:

also, has your av ever changed at all? it's one of the very few i know who you are just glimpsing it hope that doesn't sound creepy

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

Like let's say that yeah nationally the Democrats are more popular, if they are so inept that the GOP manages to keep running circles around them and winning regardless that doesn't make them look like a more competent party.

Yeah I'd never claim the Dems are especially competent or that Clinton was a good candidate, but saying that the GOP is more popular when they lost the popular vote is nonsense.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

botany posted:

Yeah I'd never claim the Dems are especially competent or that Clinton was a good candidate, but saying that the GOP is more popular when they lost the popular vote is nonsense.
And yet they won more electoral college votes and now have the Presidency, in addition to a majority of Senate and House seats. :iiam:

cheese fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 19, 2016

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

cheese posted:

And yet they won more electoral college votes and now have the Presidency, in addition to a majority of Senate and House seats. :iiam:

and state legislatures and governorships

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese posted:

Yes, despite getting less votes. Less of the popular vote. Which makes them less popular that the other party, that got more of the popular vote.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

botany posted:

Yes, despite getting less votes. Less of the popular vote. Which makes them less popular that the other party, that got more of the popular vote.
And yet less of the electoral college votes, which according to our national documents is what determines the president. 4/5 Dentists could recommend Hillary over Trump and it would mean just as much as the popular vote margin.

The great irony is that even in defeat, Hillary Clinton will gently caress over the women and POC she claimed to represent, as centrist establishment Democrats are going to use the popular vote margin + Russian hacking to argue that they don't need to change the Dem platform at all.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

cheese posted:

And yet less of the electoral college votes, which according to our national documents is what determines the president. 4/5 Dentists could recommend Hillary over Trump and it would mean just as much as the popular vote margin.

The great irony is that even in defeat, Hillary Clinton will gently caress over the women and POC she claimed to represent, as centrist establishment Democrats are going to use the popular vote margin + Russian hacking to argue that they don't need to change the Dem platform at all.

Let me explain this using very simple words. The original poster said the GOP was more popular than the Dems. This is false (not true), since the Dems got more of the popular vote than the GOP. This means more people voted for the Dems, which makes them the more popular party. That is the entirety of the argument. The fact that the US electoral system is dumb is also an interesting topic, but it has no bearing on popularity.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

botany posted:

Let me explain this using very simple words. The original poster said the GOP was more popular than the Dems. This is false (not true), since the Dems got more of the popular vote than the GOP. This means more people voted for the Dems, which makes them the more popular party. That is the entirety of the argument. The fact that the US electoral system is dumb is also an interesting topic, but it has no bearing on popularity.
Actually, the OP didnt say the GOP was more popular. The OP mocked the idea that despite their apparent popularity, Democrats keep getting defeated by literal clowns.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
At this point I'm liking Hillary despite her actions because the alternative is agreeing with some really disgusting "leftists."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

botany posted:

Do you think Presedential votes are the best way to judge how popular a political party is? What if we looked at say, the Congress.

• Locked thread