Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

Maybe they yelled at them because they're mad, and will also pursue legal action because they're mad

Well that was stupid, you never fire a warning shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

SkunkDuster posted:

What if the OP had just tossed all of them in the dumpster? Does he have any legal obligation to find the owner and return the items?

I ask because a similar thing happened to me where we got a box of Ikea hardware delivered to our office a couple years ago. It was addressed to us, but we certainly didn't order it. I spent about 10 minutes on hold with Ikea trying to remedy it before deciding it wasn't worth my time and I chucked all of it in the dumpster.

Well the key thing is that if you accept delivery then you've accepted responsibility for the other person's property and you don't just have the right to treat it as your own.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ah but I thought there was some law where if you were sent something in the mail unsolicited, it's your property. I think it was to stop malicious companies sending you stuff and then demanding payment?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Well that was stupid, you never fire a warning shot.

Right but people who are mad don't necessarily act in a tactically optimal way

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

SkunkDuster posted:

What if the OP had just tossed all of them in the dumpster? Does he have any legal obligation to find the owner and return the items?

I ask because a similar thing happened to me where we got a box of Ikea hardware delivered to our office a couple years ago. It was addressed to us, but we certainly didn't order it. I spent about 10 minutes on hold with Ikea trying to remedy it before deciding it wasn't worth my time and I chucked all of it in the dumpster.

Is return to sender not a thing where you're at?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Ah but I thought there was some law where if you were sent something in the mail unsolicited, it's your property. I think it was to stop malicious companies sending you stuff and then demanding payment?

If it's sent to you. If you accept delivery of something addressed and intended for someone else then you have to deal with that (basically by letting them know and making reasonable efforts to let them repossess it. If you get in contact and they don't want their stuff back then you can reasonably say it's been abandoned but you have to make that effort).

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

We finally have a serious issue to debate from reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5iqb09/ontario_canada_is_farting_on_the_train_assault/ posted:

I was on the go train, basically a commuter train, it wasn't too busy but someone sat across from me diagonally. I had McDonald's as I was in a rush, got gassy, was holding it in but it was a bit bumpy and I let a fart out.
It smelled bad, so I said I'm sorry, was trying to hold that in. Person proceeds to flip out,saying I have to give them my name since I "assaulted them with noxious fumes".

Newfie
Oct 8, 2013

10 years of oil boom and 20 billion dollars cash, all I got was a case of beer, a pack of smokes, and 14% unemployment.
Thanks, Danny.

Motronic posted:

I think unless it rises to the level of taco bell farts you're safe from liability. :gas:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Motronic posted:

Filed under stdh

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Haha oh man the police officer in the ER is filling the lulls watching sovcits getting wrecked. No P Barnes yet, though : (

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Hey everybody, I was hoping somebody here might have some advice for us. We've been renting a 2br house in West Seattle for $1650/month for about 5 months now and have had contractors working on our house for about a month on our water pressure, our heater/furnace, and building a big trench around the house so water doesn't get into the crawlspace. But still we do not have heat in the house and I've had to pick up some tower heaters just to keep our place livable for the few months that it's been freezing cold. Apparently what the contractors say is that there was a fireplace next to our air intake and that was the heat source (there is no fireplace now, just an odd little inset area with drywall and molding). We apparently have a furnace under the house but there are no heating elements or "blades" as they call them inside the actual furnace and they suspect somebody either took them out or we never had them before we moved in. Our utility bill has shot up a ton, we've paid $280 last month and this month was $310, which is really driving us nuts.

A few months ago our landlord had somebody come out and check the heat and they said "Well, you're getting heat out of here but not much" and then the problem didn't even begin to get fixed until months later, the current contractors suspect it was just circulating the already warm temperature inside or outside of the house. We were curious about what type of action we could take to either get reimbursed for utilities, reimbursed for rent, or both if possible. All of this has taken a stressful toll on me and my girlfriend and I, there have also been times where we've been without water for 1-2 days at a time. I work from home so keeping the place a decent temperature is essential for me. If anybody knows what the tenant laws are for stuff like this I would really appreciate it. We're both really pissed off that we've been paying full price rent for a place that has had so many problems and taken so long to get fixed (and yet to be fixed).

I appreciate any advice or resources you guys might be able to tell us about. We're going to look over our lease and see what the details are but we would love some advice in the meantime.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things
What's your goal here? Break the lease, get a rent discount, force the landlord to install more heaters? edit: Sorry I'm dumb, and missed the sentence where you said the goal.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Pretty sure heat is a requirement for a place to be habitable in most places, especially states that touch Canada.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Wanna read this judge's full decision if it contains more like this:

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/dog-custody-dispute-saskatoon-1.3889188

The wife wanted the case treated as a child custody dispute. She argued she should keep Kenya and Willow and offer visitation rights to her estranged husband.

Danyliuk rejected that request.

The judge ruled that dogs are property and should not be treated as children. He said that should be obvious to all based on a bit of logical, dispassionate thought:

- "In Canada, we tend not to purchase our children from breeders.
- "We tend not to breed our children with other humans to ensure good bloodlines, nor do we charge for such services.
- "When our children are seriously ill, we generally do not engage in an economic cost/benefit analysis to see whether the children are to receive medical treatment, receive nothing or even have their lives ended to prevent suffering.
- "When our children act improperly, even seriously and violently so, we generally do not muzzle them or even put them to death for repeated transgressions."

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I love the "tend not to" construction. That is a person who does not entertain fools.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Most Canadian judges are like that, it's amazing the kind of stealth barbs they'll throw at parties in decisions.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It was a Canadian judge that wrote that detailed destruction of a sovcit for everyone else to enjoy, right?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Ashcans posted:

It was a Canadian judge that wrote that detailed destruction of a sovcit for everyone else to enjoy, right?

Correct.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong
Please link.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

xxEightxx posted:

Please link.

http://www.canlii.org/en/ab/abqb/doc/2012/2012abqb571/2012abqb571.html

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I wore myself out laughing at just the table of contents, that it is the driest, most hilarious burn all on its own.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

NancyPants posted:

I wore myself out laughing at just the table of contents, that it is the driest, most hilarious burn all on its own.

Judge Rooke was just tired of the sovcit bullshit he and the other courts had been dealing with so he wrote the god damned bible on why all of it is horseshit. Now any canadian judge in the future can just immediately dismiss any sovcit poo poo, cite meads v meads, and be done with it which I've seen happen a few times already.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

Mr. Nice! posted:

Judge Rooke was just tired of the sovcit bullshit he and the other courts had been dealing with so he wrote the god damned bible on why all of it is horseshit. Now any canadian judge in the future can just immediately dismiss any sovcit poo poo, cite meads v meads, and be done with it which I've seen happen a few times already.

But the videos of these idiots "owning" judges is part of my regular internet video diet, let's not kill the movement too quickly okay?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
You don't have to worry about that, a quick YouTube search shows that the author of that decision is not actually a judge, but a satanic clerk employed by the United Nations pretending to be a judge. I doubt the well of sovcit insanity will dry up anytime soon,

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Just had someone refuse to sign his felony paperwork for probation: reason? He's an election judge, representing himself pro se, of course! So he pleads to a felony, but refuses to acknowledge it because it would "Deny him income".

11 counts of felony failure to pay child support. All but 2 dismissed.

I hope states share felony lists (he belongs to the neighbors). Anyone know if that data hits a national database?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Would it be legal and appropriate for you to drop a note to his state's board of elections?

Mr. Nice! posted:

In Canada, when talking about a court case, do you say "Meads and Meads" or "Meads vee Meads" or "Meads versus Meads"? Asking for a friend out of pointless curiosity.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 20, 2016

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Judge Rooke posted:

[68]Members in the OPCA community appear surprisingly unified by their methodology and objectives. They are otherwise diverse. OPCA litigants appearing in our Court may be anything from educated professionals to retired senior citizens. They may be wealthy or poor. The famous are not immune; for example the American action movie actor Wesley Snipes adopted OPCA techniques in an attempt to defeat his income tax obligations: United State v. Wesley Trent Snipes et al., No. 5:06‑cr‑00022‑WTH‑GRJ‑1 (U.S.D.C. M.D. Fl., February 1, 2008). Snipes presently is serving a three year prison sentence for income tax evasion.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

AlbieQuirky posted:

Would it be legal and appropriate for you to drop a note to his state's board of elections?

In Canada, when talking about a court case, do you say "Meads and Meads" or "Meads vee Meads" or "Meads versus Meads"? Asking for a friend out of pointless curiosity.

Civil and family we'd say Meads and Meads, but if Mr. Meads were to be arrested and charged, his case would be R vee Meads for most people. Probably. Unless you're in Quebec.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

LeschNyhan posted:

Civil and family we'd say Meads and Meads, but if Mr. Meads were to be arrested and charged, his case would be R vee Meads for most people. Probably. Unless you're in Quebec.

What other sorts of legal things does "unless you're in Quebec" apply to?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

therobit posted:

What other sorts of legal things does "unless you're in Quebec" apply to?

Most non criminal things.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
My question is about invoking speedy trial to prevent the prosecution from being able to gather sufficient evidence.

If someone is charged with a crime that is not ultra-super-bad, like a third degree felony, and to make a real case the investigation involves a lot of asking various companies to turn over data they might have, trying to corroborate stuff, decrypting files, etc. Something that doesn't warrant a lot of man power but it would be needed to really bring things together in less than 90 days. Is there a hard rule or law on how to calculate what speed trial would be? Would the prosecution be able to push the dismissal date if they couldn't gather evidence? Could the defendant be retried once they put the pieces together?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CarForumPoster posted:

My question is about invoking speedy trial to prevent the prosecution from being able to gather sufficient evidence.

If someone is charged with a crime that is not ultra-super-bad, like a third degree felony, and to make a real case the investigation involves a lot of asking various companies to turn over data they might have, trying to corroborate stuff, decrypting files, etc. Something that doesn't warrant a lot of man power but it would be needed to really bring things together in less than 90 days. Is there a hard rule or law on how to calculate what speed trial would be? Would the prosecution be able to push the dismissal date if they couldn't gather evidence? Could the defendant be retried once they put the pieces together?

The answer is, it depends. There is a federal statute that puts down rules for federal criminal cases and there are some states that have similar rigid rules. If you're in a state that doesn't have a statutorily defined time, then there's are four factors to weigh:
1. the length of delay,
2. the reason for the delay,
3. the time and manner in which the defendant has asserted his right, and
4. the degree of prejudice to the defendant which the delay has caused.

So the delay might not be prejudicial at all, especially if the delay is caused by the defendant's actions to conceal his tracks or destroy evidence.

If the state is found to violate the speedy trial right, charges will be dismissed with prejudice meaning they cannot be brought up again.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
Feds aren't going to charge without having done the investigation first. What state?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

joat mon posted:

Feds aren't going to charge without having done the investigation first.

This, too.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Nice! posted:

The answer is, it depends. There is a federal statute that puts down rules for federal criminal cases and there are some states that have similar rigid rules. If you're in a state that doesn't have a statutorily defined time, then there's are four factors to weigh:
1. the length of delay,
2. the reason for the delay,
3. the time and manner in which the defendant has asserted his right, and
4. the degree of prejudice to the defendant which the delay has caused.

So the delay might not be prejudicial at all, especially if the delay is caused by the defendant's actions to conceal his tracks or destroy evidence.

If the state is found to violate the speedy trial right, charges will be dismissed with prejudice meaning they cannot be brought up again.

joat mon posted:

Feds aren't going to charge without having done the investigation first. What state?

Thanks for the replies and that is a fair point and I think answers my question. The police, no matter the state or feds, will serve the warrants and what not but won't charge someone until they've gathered sufficient evidence.

Rest of the (not real) story: Florida and that the case is 3rd degree burglary and stealing ID information (taking a picture of bank statements, social security card, etc.). In this case the person was reported for the crime by the victim but there wasn't strong evidence it was them and the suspect didnt say anything damning. The police are able to get a warrant for his computer/phone but need time to decrypt the files.

You'd speculate that the police won't charge him until they've gotten the smoking gun (pictures off the hard drive)?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

CarForumPoster posted:

Thanks for the replies and that is a fair point and I think answers my question. The police, no matter the state or feds, will serve the warrants and what not but won't charge someone until they've gathered sufficient evidence.

Rest of the (not real) story: Florida and that the case is 3rd degree burglary and stealing ID information (taking a picture of bank statements, social security card, etc.). In this case the person was reported for the crime by the victim but there wasn't strong evidence it was them and the suspect didnt say anything damning. The police are able to get a warrant for his computer/phone but need time to decrypt the files.

You'd speculate that the police won't charge him until they've gotten the smoking gun (pictures off the hard drive)?

A Florida appellate court a few days ago ruled that a party can be compelled to give up their cell phone passcode when police had a valid warrant because it falls under an exception to the 5th amendment. In this case the guy was taking up skirt photos of people. The appellate court used the foregone conclusion doctrine, that is when the government can show with reasonable particularity that the evidence is present the 5th amendment doesn't apply. This has been used to compel people to give up encryption passwords on computers as well. In some jurisdictions passcodes aren't held to meet muster but thumbprints are acceptable to compel.

So if the police have enough evidence without the decrypted drive, they're going to go ahead and press charges. If they don't have enough evidence without it but can show reasonable particularity that the files are on the computer, they're still probably going to press charges and work to get the evidence out.

And to answer your followon question of "what happens if they continue to refuse to provide the password" is people will get held in contempt (thus jailed and/or fined until they comply with the court order) or they'll be charged with obstruction of justice or something similar.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Dec 22, 2016

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mr. Nice! posted:

A Florida appellate court a few days ago ruled that a party can be compelled to give up their cell phone passcode when police had a valid warrant because it falls under an exception to the 5th amendment. In this case the guy was taking up skirt photos of people. The appellate court used the foregone conclusion doctrine, that is when the government can show with reasonable particularity that the evidence is present the 5th amendment doesn't apply. This has been used to compel people to give up encryption passwords on computers as well. In some jurisdictions passcodes aren't held to meet muster but thumbprints are acceptable to compel.

So if the police have enough evidence without the decrypted drive, they're going to go ahead and press charges. If they don't have enough evidence without it but can show reasonable particularity that the files are on the computer, they're still probably going to press charges and work to get the evidence out.

And to answer your followon question of "what happens if they continue to refuse to provide the password" is people will get held in contempt (thus jailed and/or fined until they comply with the court order) or they'll be charged with obstruction of justice or something similar.

Wow that's very interesting and quite timely. It looks like the case is the one mentioned here. I always thought the test for the fifth amendment is whether or not the knowledge was stored in your brain. E.g. a court could compel documents with apsswords written on them but you could take the fifth on the same passwords if they're only stored in your brain.

EDIT: I am reading the brief here. On page 9, how the gently caress is saying something that you have in your head not testimonial? Saying you know the password implies the phone in question is yours. (Though he already stated that the phone number tied to the phone was his)

EDIT2: The answer is: We believe the facts here set forth one of the "very few instances in which a verbal statement, either oral or written, will not convey information or assert facts," and therefore would not be testimonial.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 22, 2016

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just tell them you don't remember the password. Problem solved. :smuggo:

A lot of my passwords are automatic and if the "remember password" box was ever unchecked, or got logged out, I honestly wouldn't be able to remember it.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
I use LastPass so almost all of my passwords are an alphanumeric jumble generated by that. I literally only know my Facebook password.

Real talk, how would "not remembering" go over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

D34THROW posted:

I use LastPass so almost all of my passwords are an alphanumeric jumble generated by that. I literally only know my Facebook password.

Real talk, how would "not remembering" go over?

Not remembering the password to unlock your phone or computer is not going to go very well because ostensibly you use said device daily and unlock it daily. From there you're going to face at a minimum contempt of court and possibly face obstruction type charges. I'm assuming the OP in question's entire drive was encrypted. Even if its just some files that are directly encrypted on the drive, they are still going to show when the last time it was accessed, so they'll be able to tell that you're lying.

The only time "not remembering" might go well is if it was some sort of backup or archive that you hadn't touched in years.

The courts might not always be up to date on technology, but by and large they aren't idiots.

Also for you they'd just get your lastpass password or access code or whatever and go from there.