Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Avshalom posted:

i was channelling a gorgeous boy from the future but then the connection closed and i think he's dead now. he predicted trump!

shame, i need a new messiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
unfortunately twitter (and instagram, and facebook, and youtube) are blocked at my work. sa and tumblr are open for an hour per day but then they get blocked too. working in this place is like doing time

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's bizarre and doesn't make sense?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
social media is just video games for tryhards

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Hollismason posted:

That's bizarre and doesn't make sense?
neither does not letting me leave the compound for my lunch "break" or have days off for any reason or bring a laptop to work (literally in case i steal company secrets) but welcome to the mining industry

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Could you create some sort of dummy of yourself made of chicken feathers and fool them? So that you could leave the compound?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It really sounds like you are in a cult AVS

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's funny because it has come to the higher-ups' attention that miners have a sky-high rate of mental illness and suicide, and obviously severely mentally ill people have a lower productivity and if someone kills themselves you have to replace them (money!) but actually changing the work conditions here would be expensive (money!!) so instead we get locked in this awful depressing industrialist concrete nightmare from 7am to 4pm every day and there are suicide hotline and depression awareness posters tacked up everywhere, like in every single room

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i suppose i should read up a little on venezuela so i know what's up when civil war kicks off

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
so i sit there in my tiny windowless paperwork cubicle feeling like my brain is trying to chew its way out of my skull from total understimulation like a parrot tearing its feathers out and the one thing i have to look at that's not a work order or a featureless grey wall is a poster about suicide

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Volkerball posted:

i suppose i should read up a little on venezuela so i know what's up when civil war kicks off

why bother, it's not like anyone in the government who'll order our inevitable involvement will

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

You'd think having to put up posters about suicide hotlines and depression awareness in every single room of the workplace would be some sort of clue to management that they're doing something terribly wrong

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Avshalom this lemons-as-lemonade advice is potentially obnoxious of course but jobs like that can be really good when they inform literature.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Wait you're not actually locked in there are you?

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
the weirdest thing about my slow psychological disintegration due to this place is that i've become a compulsive donator to charity. like i always donated as much as i could but now it's become a serious compulsion and i am blowing hundreds of dollars at a time and i can't stop, i think it's because it's the only way to make my working life feel like anything other than a ravenous spiritual void

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Rhesus Pieces posted:

You'd think having to put up posters about suicide hotlines and depression awareness in every single room of the workplace would be some sort of clue to management that they're doing something terribly wrong

more like something right by lowering labor costs via minimizing raises

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

pangstrom posted:

Avshalom this lemons-as-lemonade advice is potentially obnoxious of course but jobs like that can be really good when they inform literature.
don't worry, i'm noting it all down. the ghosts of the ussr chase their wayward daughter across the globe

also no it's casual so i can leave any time but i need the money so i can go back to sydney, australian welfare is better than american "welfare" but gives nowhere near the amount you need to actually like, relocate and find somewhere to live

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
it's like wtf sort of company secrets could i possibly steal. spoiler: we found coal!

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
although they just keep their environmental incidents on the server where anyone can access them and there are a shitload of multiple-megalitre diesel leaks and groundwater contamination issues and stuff that never, ever gets out to the public

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
my favourite was finding this really positive-sounding internal release about how indigenous land rights in the area have officially been overturned in a court of law, allowing much more land to be purchased and explored for mining without fear of meddling from pesky aboriginal groups! :) :)

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

The Muppets On PCP posted:

more like something right by lowering labor costs via minimizing raises
to be fair everybody here makes a shitload of money. i'm the lowest-paid employee on-site and i get $28/hour. the miners are on $96/hour and none of the engineers are under 200k a year, some are up to 300k. all my coworkers are very chatty about how much money they make, it's common knowledge that we're all doing it for the wages and everybody hates it here

($28/hour will sound astronomically high to americans, it's pretty good but not insane - for comparison i was on $27/hour doing admin for a real estate agency, and casual grocery baggers make about $24.)

Avshalom fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 19, 2016

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

to be fair everybody here makes a shitload of money. i'm the lowest-paid employee on-site and i get $28/hour. the miners are on $96/hour and none of the engineers are under 200k a year, some are up to 300k.

drat i gotta get into australian mining

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Volkerball posted:

drat i gotta get into australian mining
it's also an insanely unstable industry, right now it's plateaued between crashes but another big crash is on its way any moment now and then most of us will get the sack

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

i gotta say 2016 has got itself a bit of spunk, really trying to compete with big boys

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Avshalom posted:

go out and experience the lord's creation you fucks

I wasn't impressed

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
holy poo poo berlin

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

kustomkarkommando posted:

i gotta say 2016 has got itself a bit of spunk, really trying to compete with big boys

for real.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Avshalom posted:

to be fair everybody here makes a shitload of money. i'm the lowest-paid employee on-site and i get $28/hour. the miners are on $96/hour and none of the engineers are under 200k a year, some are up to 300k. all my coworkers are very chatty about how much money they make, it's common knowledge that we're all doing it for the wages and everybody hates it here

($28/hour will sound astronomically high to americans, it's pretty good but not insane - for comparison i was on $27/hour doing admin for a real estate agency, and casual grocery baggers make about $24.)

the starting salary for teachers here is about $23/hr aud

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 19, 2016

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
yeah, america is broken. australia is slightly less broken but still broken. the whole world is broken. what has broken the world? my friends, the answer... is capitalism

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/nxthompson/status/810959220258566145

what a nice guy

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

why bother, it's not like anyone in the government who'll order our inevitable involvement will

Call of Duty Ghosts had a terrible bad guy back story and I'm going to be pissed if trump somehow makes it real

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

I've met him a number of times back in Times Square. He was always a douchebag and I told him to gently caress off once or twice.

Cakebaker
Jul 23, 2007
Wanna buy some cake?
indiegogo the apocalypse

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Avshalom posted:

yeah, america is broken. australia is slightly less broken but still broken. the whole world is broken. what has broken the world? my friends, the answer... is capitalism

Also Kanye, whose vote for Trump single-handedly swung the election.

Oops, this isn't CSPAM.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So what you're telling me is that Australia is like a countrywide experiment on whether money can buy happiness

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/5ae1b90b311e435d994bae0bfc81f112/donald-trump-surpasses-270-votes-electoral-college-formally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.instagram.com/p/BOKTyQAAQKc/

• Locked thread