Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Feeling sorry for someone isn't mutually exclusive with finding humour and outrage in what they do.

Like those pregnant people living entirely off soylent. They're hurting themselves and their child, but they're also morons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

CERTIFIED FRESH AS HELL DOC MAKER

Yeah, Tila Tequila has a really tragic backstory, but I feel like the EC episode addresses that well enough. Also you don't want to miss Tila's fanfiction, it's delightful

I might be speaking only for some of you, but I feel like most of us F+ people were one bad decision away from being F+ subject at some point, and many of the people who submit content (including me!) are mentally ill to varying degrees, but being able to take all of this with humor and see all the ridiculous parts in things is good.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

A Meat posted:

I might be speaking only for some of you, but I feel like most of us F+ people were one bad decision away from being F+ subject at some point

Yeah, that's me.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Being 13 in the early 2000s was a crazy time to be on the Internet.

Ambious
Sep 29, 2016

Hail Hoots!

Waffleman_ posted:

Definitely.
We have a thread over at BAAALLLLLLPPPPIIIIT where we confess our internet sins, and as it turns out every single member has written terrible fanfiction at one point or another of their lives.
Mine is mostly purged, though. I hope.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea, every fanfic episode and anime bullshit forum and all are absolutely 'laugh because that was my turf too' territory for me.

Which actually is kinda why I like the F Plus but I can't stand poo poo like 'cringe' channels and all. There's a level of poo poo like Portaxx being a giant and open anime nerd while laughing at other anime nerds, or Lemon making horrible jokes while making fun of unfunny people and stuff like that that feels a lot more better spirited than just 'LOOK AT THIS IDIOT UGH FUCKIN LEARN TO WRITE SHITBAG'. Aside from the horrible people like MRAs or the just plain weird like 'hey internet here's a forum devoted to fuckin stuffed animals' the more 'meat and potatoes' material of the podcast is met with a much better attitude than a lot of other places have.

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

same, but replace being 13 with being like eight.

the internet culturally raised me, it's kind of miraculous that I'm not incredibly hosed up!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

A Meat posted:

same, but replace being 13 with being like eight.

the internet culturally raised me, it's kind of miraculous that I'm not incredibly hosed up!

I've got some bad news for you.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Yeah, how many F+ documents have you submitted again?

A Meat
Jun 28, 2013

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Yeah, how many F+ documents have you submitted again?

I've been clean for like half a year.

I just haven't had the time to finish any of the ones I started, it's tough to balance wading through internet garbage and university

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I guess this is what happens when you only eat what isn't turd?

my girlfriend is Legos posted:

Sham Bam Bamina!, it's a really good callback that you're a strange and millionaire cat on the website.
That's me, always bringing the Tommy D comedy.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

A Meat posted:

Yeah, Tila Tequila has a really tragic backstory, but I feel like the EC episode addresses that well enough. Also you don't want to miss Tila's fanfiction, it's delightful

I might be speaking only for some of you, but I feel like most of us F+ people were one bad decision away from being F+ subject at some point, and many of the people who submit content (including me!) are mentally ill to varying degrees, but being able to take all of this with humor and see all the ridiculous parts in things is good.

It's one of the reasons I like The F+ so much is cause there's sort of an understanding that this is all just ridiculous. The people they're making fun of aren't filthy sub-humans, they just write some things that are really fuckin' funny to read.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Grondoth posted:

The people they're making fun of aren't filthy sub-humans
You know there was an episode on Roosh V, right?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sham bam bamina! posted:

You know there was an episode on Roosh V, right?

Please don't insult sub-humans like that by comparing them to Roosh V.

Bozarth
Sep 2, 2003

What fucking language are you speaking?
My mental illness compels me to dunk on nazis and sex-havers on the internet. Give me your sympathies, slaves.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
We're already goons, no sympathy necessary or possible.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I vaguely remember ending up on some Harvest Moon roleplay forum in the early 2000s where there were threads like 'church thread' full of posts saying 'i donate 10Gs' and mods would keep track of everybody's heart levels or something.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Lampsacus posted:

I vaguely remember ending up on some Harvest Moon roleplay forum in the early 2000s where there were threads like 'church thread' full of posts saying 'i donate 10Gs' and mods would keep track of everybody's heart levels or something.

I might've been in that same place for like a hot minute. I remember that and trying to talk with a girl whose character had a fear of turtles. I was like 8 so my creative writing wasn't good so I got bored with Harvest Moon roleplay

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
Save another seat on the "it could have been me" bus because I'm right there with you guys. Much like A Meat and Waffleman_ I was around 10 in 2000, and when you're that young your grasp on reality is kind of tenuous. I can see how it'd be easy for some young kid to get on the otherkin/magick (mah-gik?) train and ride it all the way to crazytown... because that was almost me. All that fantasy and anime stuff is great, so why can't it be real?

The biggest difference between being an FPlus listener versus being a subject is having that "a-ha!" moment in your life where you see it was all a fun little fantasy. You lift your head up, look at the world around you without the internet filter, and you go on developing. If you don't do that you end up on DeviantArt or Uboachan or whatever and you never progress past "but I want to be a DRAGON". When true mental illness gets into the mix then things get more complex because maybe that person isn't ABLE to have the realization, but even then it feels like the Ridiculists are making fun of the person's ideas/content and not directly attacking the person.

Whoever said that it's the spirit of the thing has my vote, 100%. Lemon even addressed this at the beginning of an episode recently: if you don't think these weirdos are still people that deserve the basic courtesy of human respect, then get the gently caress out. One of the reasons Portal of Evil deserved any respect at all was the Prime Directive, and ideally both sides can continue unhindered because of this - the weirdos get to keep flying their freak flag and we all get to make jokes.

Don't know where this is going, doesn't have a point, but there it is.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I think it's still just a separation of Internet Life and Real Life that isn't fully established for everybody yet. Most people that will freely post in a community about their magickal pine needle tea are probably reasonable people to talk to in reality, because that boundary of social norms is still established, so if you're at the point where you find out about their otherkin beliefs then you've probably expressed interest in it to them. Obviously that inherent level of anonymity and separation on the internet means people are that much more open about it though, but hey, I think there's just a base level of weirdness and sympathy held by the listeners and readers that makes enjoying F-Plus possible. Maybe not hyper furry cock weirdness, but just a little bit of weirdness.

eta: No one cares about my dumb opinions so I'll stop complaining about trivial stuff, F-Plus is good and funny. :)

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2016

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

I have at one point participated in at least four communities the F Plus has covered, and still participate in one of them.

It's me, I'm the founder of ballsniff.club

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

This episode is really good at painting a dystopian hellscape. I feel for the guy who's eating soylent because he's not allowed any breaks at what I assume is his tech job.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Not disagreeing with you, but the gist I got was different. Basically people to whom soylent would be appealing are AT BEST people attempting like a low touch diet instead of going to fast food, more typically "I hate eating" oddballs, and a last chunk are probably odder-balls shading into the mentally ill.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Soylent is bad unless you like toxic algae and heavy metals

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't understand why you would name your food product after a fake food infamously made of humans.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

It's the latter oddball camp, especially the guy who makes soylent. One of the blog posts from the doc that didn't get read got posted on ballpit, and he talks about how he got rid of his fridge because the compressor bothered him and uses his kitchen cabinets for bookshelves now. Whenever he mentioned food storage, he reiterated the fact that technically food kept in your home is rotting and how disgusting that is. Also he uses Uber to get around and drinks wine instead of water.

He is a weird rich dude with a lot of hangups. In another life, he could have invented corn flakes or founded a monastic order.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Waffleman_ posted:

I don't understand why you would name your food product after a fake food infamously made of humans.

I'm sure if you asked the average Soylent user they'd explain "Well, actually, in the story Soylent Green was only one of many types of Soylent an- *is immediately sacked by every member of Football Congress*"

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Djeser posted:

It's the latter oddball camp, especially the guy who makes soylent. One of the blog posts from the doc that didn't get read got posted on ballpit, and he talks about how he got rid of his fridge because the compressor bothered him and uses his kitchen cabinets for bookshelves now. Whenever he mentioned food storage, he reiterated the fact that technically food kept in your home is rotting and how disgusting that is. Also he uses Uber to get around and drinks wine instead of water.

He is a weird rich dude with a lot of hangups. In another life, he could have invented corn flakes or founded a monastic order.

In another life, he would buy a bunch of expensive sound equipment and a round ball of obsidian.

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean that's the first and only association for almost everyone with the product, is the film Soylent Green, which everyone knows the spoiler of even if they haven't seen the film. Technically the film is loosely based on a book, which I haven't read but I understand soylent in the book is not made from people, but even then it's a science fiction dystopia about overpopulation and the food is barely nutritious and completely unpalatable. It's the worst marketing possible for a product.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the best part is Soylent fans genuinely tend to get upset still at the jokes about the name. Like, it's still a solid way to piss a few of them off, just respond to something about it with 'lol I heard they're making a green version next, watch your backs!' or something. Not only did they name it after such an obvious joke, but the obvious joke genuinely gets under their skin even still and that rules.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Djeser posted:

Yeah I have known three guys who didn't like eating ("how do you feel about air, water, and shelter?" was what another friend asked the first time he met one). Two I think were maybe arrested development cases, in that they were like some toddlers are food-wise. Very picky and rigid and bizarrely unhungry. Maybe also a little on the spectrum. One was weirder... kind of diffusely paranoid. None of them were "EATING DIFFERENT THINGS IS INEFFICIENT AND SUBOPTIMAL" hyper-practical about it but I could see them gravitating towards that if they were professional coders.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 19, 2016

Death Dealer
Jul 25, 2006

The hilarious/sad part about the guy trying to bring "lean methodology" into a discussion about Soylent is that it's all about having the tools you need for the job, having the right manpower for the job, and minimizing time wastes through inefficiency.

Most people would agree that flavor is a pretty drat important part of your food, and anyone that finds eating to be that big of a time waste is weird as hell. I get where people might not have appetites or are super picky, but deciding you only want to eat salty pancake batter is a bit beyond just picky. To each their own though, maybe food replacements will get to the mythical "one little pill" stage and not also cause intense and profound diarrhea one day.

Mind you, the only reason I know Lean methodology is because I work in manufacturing, not a techbro. Also I get breaks unlike that poor bastard who has no breaks and cannot feed. :v:

Death Dealer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 20, 2016

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The big problem with Soylent is that there are dozens of already existing meal replacement drinks and bars that aren't full of mold and heavy metals, that were designed by people who know how nutrition works rather than a guy who wears a new jumpsuit every day because he hates clothing

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

My lean methodology is that I pour the syrup over the ice and then add the Sprite.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It just struck me. These guys are basically trying to reverse-engineer eating and nutrition without any actual expertise, and are baffled when they face evidence that it's not working. They've produced flavorless slurry that they're convinced is ideal because it checks all the boxes that they, as people with no knowledge of the subject, declared to be the important parts.

They're Tropers.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I do think it's really weird to not derive enjoyment from flavor, but I've known a few people that don't really enjoy eating. Just because we're all fat goons doesn't mean the rest of the world is :v: Especially for every meal; I like a good meal as much as the next person but half the time the lunch I eat is just so I can be not hungry anymore, not because I really like turkey sandwiches. So for someone that wants to have a flavorless nutritious meal replacement for breakfast, for me the weird part is the flavorless part, but not everything else, especially if you just woke up and don't want to spend effort thinking about breakfast but you want to make sure you get some vitamins and protein.

But yeah, the disconnect is that meal replacements already exist, they're meticulously designed to be tasty and healthy, and they don't give you gross shits and have literal poison in them. And the name. Soylent is a badly named and badly executed version of a product that already exists, but it has the TECH OMG angle to it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The idea that taking time out of your work to eat is a sign of bad employee is totally a thing in the business world, sadly.

quote:

How often does an employee go to the break room for a coffee or snack? How often do they head out for a cigarette? Of course your employee may just be hungry, tired, or addicted to nicotine, but sometimes people over-indulge in unhealthy behaviors to fill a void in their personal or professional lives. People who are truly motivated by purpose often derive fulfillment simply by working diligently at their desks. They may even have to be reminded by a grumbling belly that they haven’t eaten lunch yet.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I'm glad someone mentioned in the episode that they wanted Victor Laszlo to hear all that because I wanted it too! It would be really interesting to break down WHY its bad. Like, are the heavy metals in there on purpose and they just got the amounts wrong? Do they just assume that because they have everything logically worked out, things like factories and keeping it mold-free will automatically happen like in a computer program? "There can't be mold in it, I didn't program it to have mold in it! If it has mold in it, its because the hardware is faulty, therefore the product itself is perfect!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Soylent reminds me of the Dilberito, another food product made by a person who had absolutely no business being around food which was similarly the worst.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

A Moose posted:

I'm glad someone mentioned in the episode that they wanted Victor Laszlo to hear all that because I wanted it too! It would be really interesting to break down WHY its bad. Like, are the heavy metals in there on purpose and they just got the amounts wrong? Do they just assume that because they have everything logically worked out, things like factories and keeping it mold-free will automatically happen like in a computer program? "There can't be mold in it, I didn't program it to have mold in it! If it has mold in it, its because the hardware is faulty, therefore the product itself is perfect!"

It's made for bottom dollar in China and then shipped to the states where people who have no experience in sanitation, packaging or quality assurance sanitize it, package it and do quality assurance checks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Djeser posted:

That weird rich dude who invented corn flakes at least donated land to help establish a university. You really think this doofus has that in him? :colbert: