Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

eh worst parts are that our config is fundamentally hosed. no persistent conversations, broken chat rooms. completely useless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
skype for b doesn't do persistent chat.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

i've honestly never had any trouble with webex.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Shaggar posted:

you could install skype preview (for skype) which is a better chat client than normal skype for skype or skype for b

Lmao that this is a post that needs to exist

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

eh worst parts are that our config is fundamentally hosed. no persistent conversations, broken chat rooms. completely useless

hello my life

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

hello my life
Borat voice my life

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

a locally-hosted slack-like that i could deploy with no oversight from it would have a glimmer of hope but that's still prob not gonna happen

hipchat is okay. not great. but okay. better than Skype for B which is trash garbage

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i was lamenting about webex during our weekly status meeting (we were trying to get a telepresence unit connected to our webex so we could use the webex line while still using telepresence and it just didn't loving work at all) and my coworker asked me "well, who's got it right then" and i said "nobody"

i think i saw a look of realization in his eyes

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

minivanmegafun posted:

hipchat is okay. not great. but okay. better than Skype for B which is trash garbage

I would have to coerce IT into deploying that. I keep hoping its coming as we use Jira and confluence more but so far no dice

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

minivanmegafun posted:

one time I was loving around with a ship's GMDSS station and I managed to establish a connection with a friend ~600 miles away over short wave, in the middle of the day

that was still better than skype for business

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

no don't! hipchat is real bad and breaks in new ways if you use anything that isn't the web client.

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

webex heard earlier today:

"lets just make it more whimsical and use the ceo's helicopter"
"you mean his drone"
"ew no, why would I want to see that again"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

AAB posted:

no don't! hipchat is real bad and breaks in new ways if you use anything that isn't the web client.

clearly you've never used skype for business

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

AAB posted:

still sounds better than skype for business

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I prefer to keep my messenger pigeons gainfully employed. Sure it takes longer, but it keeps them Agile

we use Microsoft Teams, a new age collaborative chat space

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's pretty amusing how much better Discord is in all facets (almost, notifications are garbo) than Skype for Business.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
heres a fun trick, have one of your vendor or consultant partners set up a slack then make it the de facto communication platform for your team because "the vendor cant work with anything else"

it was really paying dividends for me last week

ofc i am now pretending my company shuts down until next year starting today so everything is muted and an out of office message is up

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

heres a fun trick, have one of your vendor or consultant partners set up a slack then make it the de facto communication platform for your team because "the vendor cant work with anything else"

it was really paying dividends for me last week

ofc i am now pretending my company shuts down until next year starting today so everything is muted and an out of office message is up

lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

my company acquired a small company that had slack and we keep it up

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

mishaq posted:

my company acquired a small company that had slack and we keep it up

I'm choosing to believe the purchase was really just a way to get slack into the company over the head of some idiot manager that was refusing for some reason

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

duTrieux. posted:

i've honestly never had any trouble with webex.

i dont believe you. alternatively you havent really used webex much

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Bloody posted:

a locally-hosted slack-like that i could deploy with no oversight from it would have a glimmer of hope but that's still prob not gonna happen

Bloody posted:

I would have to coerce IT into deploying that. I keep hoping its coming as we use Jira and confluence more but so far no dice

just use slack

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
the free version of slack is actually a blessing because culling everything after 10k messages and attachments after a limit means you can't use it as a loving document store

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I had to call into a WebEx meeting today manually because no matter the browser I used the meeting would not load

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

the free version of slack is actually a blessing because culling everything after 10k messages and attachments after a limit means you can't use it as a loving document store

:agreed:

also lmao that slack charges $13/month/head just to get AD integration

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mishaq posted:

:agreed:

also lmao that slack charges $13/month/head just to get AD integration

drat lol

that's what happens when you have a good product tho

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

just 13 bucks/seat for ad sync? That's manageable.

What I don't get RE: slack (the last holdout in my comp to not use it) that people are using the free one and talking 'bout the IP over it.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

incoherent posted:

just 13 bucks/seat for ad sync? That's manageable.

What I don't get RE: slack (the last holdout in my comp to not use it) that people are using the free one and talking 'bout the IP over it.

if microsoft can make teams not terrible and include it with O365 subscriptions slack is dead in the enterprise space

no one is gonna drop five figgies a month on slack when a good enough alternative comes with what they're already paying for

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

mishaq posted:

if microsoft can make teams not terrible and include it with O365 subscriptions slack is dead in the enterprise space

no one is gonna drop five figgies a month on slack when a good enough alternative comes with what they're already paying for

Yeah this is why nobody uses Box since Microsoft added onedrive for business to o365

Lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Is onedrive for business the worst product that Microsoft has ever released? Sources say yes

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

mishaq posted:

if microsoft can make teams not terrible

lol

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

quick someone has made an excellent service that businesses are signing up for en masse

throw something together really quickly and be sure to base it off of sharepoint

Microsoft

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it may have been mentioned in here before, but I feel like MMO guilds had this whole thing figured out like... 15+ years ago. I played Everquest in high school and we used to have 72-112 people in voice chat during raids and it was hardly ever a problem. the "officers" used to do like 20-person webcam meetings oiver Yahoo Messenger or some bullshit. why is everything in the corporate world so bad

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

because they have sales teams to convince you it's good and once you've made the investment to move over it's a pain to switch no matter how terrible

see: avaya

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

BiohazrD posted:

Yeah this is why nobody uses Box since Microsoft added onedrive for business to o365

Lol

having gigs and gigs of poo poo you dont want to deal with migrating is a lot different than everyone switching chat apps

it's loving chat

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

yeah lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
people use slack because it's good and it's not tied to your loving idiot IT
the entire point is that it's zero friction communication

but oh yeah they'll definitely switch to your lovely enterprise solution as soon as "someone makes it good"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

slack is such a 2016 it bubble company though that i can't really stand them being successful, despite it being fantastic when we got the license and a billion stupid bots flourished

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

people use slack because it's good and it's not tied to your loving idiot IT
the entire point is that it's zero friction communication

but oh yeah they'll definitely switch to your lovely enterprise solution as soon as "someone makes it good"

people use slack because its chat that works across desktop and mobile devices that's easy to administer, something that surprisingly few options exist for

its just the ability to create "rooms" on demand and sending direct messages to individuals with chat history

dont even need the file sharing features or whatever but they're nice, ideally screenshots and poo poo you drop into chats should disappear after 24 hours or whatever so you dont have to worry about retention because no one is gonna give a poo poo about that stuff later anyway

if teams can just provide that there's no reason to use slack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

slack has been around for a couple years, so its not just a 2016 bubble

It also seems to do well across diff platforms, like the previous poster says. It seems to be basically irc with a web ui which is already way better than skype/lync

I logged into slack today, its a ghost town now that teams came around, and they finally added video chat. loving, thats the only reason we went with teams! we only committed to teams like a month ago. im so bummed

• Locked thread