Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Zurai posted:

We're still not entirely sure on the Legend Materia mechanics because, as mentioned, we can't actually get any of the Legend Materias yet. That being said, here's a list of the LM2s; the LM1s are mostly just "small increase" to various things and are almost certainly not locked to the character you get them from.

• Tyro: Increased buff duration.
  • Warrior of Light: Start battle with Last Stand and Sentinel
  • Garland: Dealing Dark damage has a chance to also heal self.
  • Firion: ATK+?% based on physical attacks made.
  • Maria: MAG+?% based on magical attacks made.
  • Luneth: Start battle with Haste and Powerchain 3.
  • Refia: ATK+50% for next turn after dealing a critical hit.
  • Paladin Cecil: Enter Cover mode; chance to take damage for party members and reduce the damage taken.
  • Rosa: Chance to Esuna an ally who is affected by Poison/Blind/Paralyze/Silence.
  • Bartz: Medium chance to dualcast Spellblade.
  • Lenna: Medium boost to healing
  • Terra: Once per battle at low health, enter Trance Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +20% all stats except Speed, 1/2 cast time.
  • Relm: Small resistance to all elements.
  • Cloud: Medium chance to dualcast Combat.
  • Tifa: Monk skills have a chance to grant self Quickcast 3.
  • Squall: Medium chance to dualcast Spellblade.
  • Rinoa: Black Magic skills have a chance to grant self Quickcast 3.
  • Zidane: Once per battle at low health, enter Trance Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +15% to all stats, Thief skills are instant cast.
  • Beatrix: Medium chance to dualcast Knight.
  • Tidus: Medium chance to dualcast water.
  • Yuna: MAG+?%, increases as user's MND increases.
  • Shantotto: Once per battle at low health, enter Play Rough Mode for 25 seconds: recover HP, +30% MAG, -30% DEF/RES, 1/3 cast time.
  • Ayame: Medium chance to dualcast Samurai.
  • Vaan: Damage +?% based on the number of debuffs on target.
  • Ashe: Medium chance to dualcast thunder.
  • Lightning: Start battle with Haste and Powerchain 3.
  • Snow: Start battle with taunt PHY & BLK, DEF/RES+200%.
  • Y'shtola: Medium chance to dualcast White Magic.
  • Thancred: Chance to give self Blink 1 when using Ninja abilities.
  • Ramza: Increased buff duration.
  • Agrias: Chance when using Knight abilities to reduce the target's Holy resistance by 1 stage.

The Trance Mode ones could be really strong depending on how low "low HP" is - if it's 10% like we've seen from similar effects it'll require Last Stand to actually pull off getting them there without a miracle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

refia's seems to be set up for some serious lifebane shenanigans

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Oh right; Terra's and Zidane's trance modes also changes them to their trance sprites for the duration. Shantotto's has no graphical change.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

We're still not entirely sure on the Legend Materia mechanics because, as mentioned, we can't actually get any of the Legend Materias yet. That being said, here's a list of the LM2s; the LM1s are mostly just "small increase" to various things and are almost certainly not locked to the character you get them from.

• Agrias: Chance when using Knight abilities to reduce the target's Holy resistance by 1 stage.

Oh Agrias, you just keep on giving me such beautiful things.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
I've read the megathreads for all the Nightmares so I have a good idea how to approach each one. In terms of frustrating boss mechanics and/or chances of one-shot kills, do any of the following stand out as more/less reasonable than the others?

Neo Bahamut
Quadruple Foul
Northern Cross
Curada
Affliction Break

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Neo Bahamut has been thoroughly power creeeped.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

LornMarkus posted:

Oh Agrias, you just keep on giving me such beautiful things.

Yeah, hers is holy poo poo good since Imperil now stacks to -6 resist (ie -60%). It only lasts 10 seconds, but initial testing implies that stacking it refreshes the duration (for normal imperils, Agrias's minor imperil isn't available yet).

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

CaptainPsyko posted:

Neo Bahamut has been thoroughly power creeeped.

By "take a Rydia/Garnet BSB" I presume? Does that work if you have no good Summoner relics?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Affliction Break is probably the most frustrating nightmare mechanics-wise unless you just turn on 3 dooms and burst him the gently caress down with OSBs or something. Curada is irritating but also fairly easy to cheese.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Zurai posted:

Yeah, hers is holy poo poo good since Imperil now stacks to -6 resist (ie -60%). It only lasts 10 seconds, but initial testing implies that stacking it refreshes the duration (for normal imperils, Agrias's minor imperil isn't available yet).

Yeah, you'll need her BSB to really make it work I imagine but I wanted it anyways so here's hoping I manage to pick it up off of OSB Fest or TG Cid.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
That Legend Materia for Agrias only makes me want to chase Excalibur T harder. Tomorrow morning can't get here fast enough, let me see those drat banners.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Affliction Break is probably the most frustrating nightmare mechanics-wise unless you just turn on 3 dooms and burst him the gently caress down with OSBs or something. Curada is irritating but also fairly easy to cheese.

Note that if you have an AoE Full Breakdown SB (or a random target with a lot of hits like Wakka or Setzer), you can cut down on a lot of the annoyance; have the SB haver spend P1 spamming Wrath (slow burn it, you have plenty of time and you'll need those hones.), and then in P2, flip two of the nodes, then hit he AoE breakdown, and you can use that full breakdown to invert the nodes every few rounds while the rest of the party focuses the boss.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

CaptainPsyko posted:

Note that if you have an AoE Full Breakdown SB (or a random target with a lot of hits like Wakka or Setzer), you can cut down on a lot of the annoyance; have the SB haver spend P1 spamming Wrath (slow burn it, you have plenty of time and you'll need those hones.), and then in P2, flip two of the nodes, then hit he AoE breakdown, and you can use that full breakdown to invert the nodes every few rounds while the rest of the party focuses the boss.
You can also just bring one as a RW, two flips should be enough if your party has enough DPS. Just use one as soon as the phase changes to flip 3 on 1 off, then manually hit two of them and do it again.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Really, Luneth/Lightning's LMs are pretty ridiculous, since they let you setup a RW pretty much immediately. If the LM was on an actual support or healer it would be even better.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

You can also just bring one as a RW, two flips should be enough if your party has enough DPS. Just use one as soon as the phase changes to flip 3 on 1 off, then manually hit two of them and do it again.

This requires you to not need Wall or BSB Medica as a RW like some people do. Even with two barriers 'on', you're soaking up a lot of damage in that fight. You could make the damage managable with a dancer spamming Heathen Sarabande and Multi Break, sure (only damaging skills toggle the barriers) but then you've lost a unit's worth of DPS or healing.

Nightmare Necrophobe is a drat mess and would've been tricky if it had half the speed it does.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Holy bananas those LMs are crazy. I guess that was expected given the investment required but still a lot of those are just so good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KataraniSword posted:

This requires you to not need Wall or BSB Medica as a RW like some people do. Even with two barriers 'on', you're soaking up a lot of damage in that fight. You could make the damage managable with a dancer spamming Heathen Sarabande and Multi Break, sure (only damaging skills toggle the barriers) but then you've lost a unit's worth of DPS or healing.

Nightmare Necrophobe is a drat mess and would've been tricky if it had half the speed it does.

This is slightly incorrect; it's not damage that makes the barriers trigger, its Breakdown strength debuffs, with dancer skills specifically excluded.

For example, Cait Smith's moogle dance is a popular option for the RW version of the above strat because it also provides high regen to the party.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 20, 2016

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

pichupal posted:

edit: ooh, apparently [bTerra[/b] and Zidane will get Trance. I'd be more excited if I had a relic for either of them, but this is pretty cool.
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I've been waiting a long time for that!

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

CaptainPsyko posted:

This is slightly incorrect; it's not damage that makes the barriers trigger, its Breakdown strength debuffs, with dancer skills specifically excluded.

For example, Cait Smith's moogle dance is a popular option for the RW version of the above strat because it also provides high regen to the party.

Oh man. I have 3 aoe attack/magic breakdowns and a hyper break. This'll be interesting. I was choosing not to touch it until after I beat the curada dungeon, but gently caress the curada dungeon.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Dark Bargain, Death Throes, and Reaping Scythe is a devastating combo
as mentioned, this isn't possible due to only having 2 ability slots. That said, you could do something similar with Kuma's self-doom RM, Dark Bargain and Reaping Scythe, without interfering with Shout. Dunno whether that will be worth it though

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

kalensc posted:

I've read the megathreads for all the Nightmares so I have a good idea how to approach each one. In terms of frustrating boss mechanics and/or chances of one-shot kills, do any of the following stand out as more/less reasonable than the others?

Neo Bahamut
Quadruple Foul
Northern Cross
Curada
Affliction Break

I have only recently beaten my first Nightmare dungeon and it was the Northern Cross one with the tonberries. It pretty much requires you to use Halting Rumba honed to at least 6 uses. If you want to master it you need Dismissal as well (or something else that interrupts actions) and something that inflicts Slow. You will also need a bunch of AoE damage for waves 2 and 3.

It wasn't necessarily hard, but it was annoying and required a lot of resets because of RNG. Once you get to King Tonberry it's a damage race so make sure you're all healed and buffed and go in as hard as you can. It doesn't matter if you lose a couple people as long as he dies first.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Nihilarian posted:

as mentioned, this isn't possible due to only having 2 ability slots. That said, you could do something similar with Kuma's self-doom RM, Dark Bargain and Reaping Scythe, without interfering with Shout. Dunno whether that will be worth it though

Whose self doom rm? Cause that's one rm that I really would like to get my hands on.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Sprite141 posted:

Whose self doom rm? Cause that's one rm that I really would like to get my hands on.
Kuja, should come out in the next batch with the Lighting OSB/Adult Hope Wardrobe event.

It's a 60-count Doom, too, over MM's 45.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Sprite141 posted:

Oh man. I have 3 aoe attack/magic breakdowns and a hyper break. This'll be interesting. I was choosing not to touch it until after I beat the curada dungeon, but gently caress the curada dungeon.

Attack/Magic Breakdowns are less useful because they only flip two of the four nodes. Still good, but it'll require more fiddling on your part. (Or pair them with a Def/Res AoE Breakdown and cast both. But then you're relying on two Soul breaks.)

AoE hyper Break on the other hand... yeah, that'll carry you. Combine it with Wrath R2 in phase one while the rest of the party hits necrophobe and you've got a plan.

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Pulled on the buff banner, got Decil's unique and nothing else. I am never going to get a drat wall.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

I did it by the skin of my teeth, but I beat all the Ultimates for this event! After taking my time applying buffs against the Spider, I easily beat him, the Eraser was a total joke, aaaaand Bahamut Fury was an unholy damage race I won off the back of Vanille's BSB solely. Instant Cast Medica is batshit insane, jesus christ.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sprite141 posted:

loving autocorrect
What Hogama said

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

It's almost here.

Edit: It's interestingly grouped with the Collab Banners like WoFF and the Sword of Mana one. Maybe it's just a half event? Looks like it's just Noctis coming too.

pichupal fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

pichupal posted:

It's almost here.

Edit: It's interestingly grouped with the Collab Banners like WoFF and the Sword of Mana one. Maybe it's just a half event? Looks like it's just Noctis coming too.

There's no banner for it, interestingly. So Global might possibly get it at the same time.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
You've got about 13 minutes to burn your stamina before maintenance, I believe. GO GO GO!

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Schwartzcough posted:

You've got about 13 minutes to burn your stamina before maintenance, I believe. GO GO GO!

Oh god drat it, I forgot to burn my stamina. :argh:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
I loving forgot about maintenance and was saving stamina for when Tuesdaily hit! RIP

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I am bummed about wasting all this black power stamina

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Time for OSB banners!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I just want more BSBs :ohdear:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE
oh you better loving believe I'm pulling on banner 1

two TERROR BALTIMORE relics and Platinum Sword. please god, please

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Banner 1 is great, but it feels really similar to XIV Banner 1 which occurs just a couple days later (high powered mage relic, top tier whm bsb, good physical bsb, boostga, wall, lesser medica) so I will probably avoid it.

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Dec 20, 2016

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Banner 1 is absolutely stacked.

I was hoping to pull for Vaan OSB (just to complete the collection) or Edge's BSB, but neither banner is that tempting yet.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
3-4 dupes on every banner. I feel like this is making my mythril budgeting a lot easier.

(edit) DeNA loving loves these goggles.

Attestant fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

In case you need that fourth pair for whatever reason.

Also we're all getting 25 Mythril free.

Edit: we also get 28 more free Mythril. Not counting Orbfest completion, that's 53 free Mythril, enough for a pull of any banner of your choice.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Dec 20, 2016

• Locked thread