Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
This is a page back or whatever but Boogie is definitely a poo poo head and a baby, maybe I just don't like the face he makes after foul calls. Still the best center in the league, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

CharlestheHammer posted:

No saying that going to a nightclub in general without incident is proof of anything is poor journalism and obviously some dude trying to build a more interesting narrative out of the scraps he had.

Remember when Chris Copeland apologized for getting stabbed outside a nightclub at 3AM

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Will any player turn down the new designated player max? The difference in money seems completely insane. Who's the first guy who's going to sign a new DPE contract?

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

this is the face of sacramento's pickleball tournament president.

also he wrote the article.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

IanTheM posted:

Gilbert makes his money in one of the most disgusting ways possible, so it's good that he's being parted with as much of it as possible.

I thought this was about Gilbert Arenas and I took a good 20 seconds trying to figure out why someone would think playing basketball is the most disgusting way possible

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also why are they always crips or bloods? There are other gangs ya know.

DEMARCUS COUSINS IS A TRIAD

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

What if Demarcus was black

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

EvanTH posted:

I thought this was about Gilbert Arenas and I took a good 20 seconds trying to figure out why someone would think playing basketball is the most disgusting way possible

Wow look at Cousin's pinky on his left-hand. Definitely yubitsume.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Spacebump posted:

An decent article on Finney-Smith, one of the best new additions to Dallas.
http://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2016/12/19/13987168/dallas-mavericks-dorian-finney-smith-diamond-in-the-rough
From all the games I've seen this season, the only Mavs that I'm sure will be on the team long term are Barnes, Curry, and Finney-Smith. Maybe Powell and Anderson as well but they have been so inconsistent this season. Mejri is good enough to at least be a backup center but since he made it to the league so late who knows how long he lasts.

thank you I have been keeping a casual eye on him cause I'm a Fantasy Freak and this way I don't have to watch Mavs games

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Up Circle posted:

this is the face of sacramento's pickleball tournament president.

also he wrote the article.

i'm disappointed that pickleball is not a game about trying to injure people with fermented food

EvanTH posted:

that's good IMO, Tracer Tong is the best ending to Deus Ex and therefore Cousins is ideally situated to prevent sentient Knightman's reign of terror over humanity

chunkles fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 19, 2016

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

chunkles posted:

Remember when Chris Copeland apologized for getting stabbed outside a nightclub at 3AM

lol yes yes I do still one of the more confusing nice-i-guess? things I can even conceive of

quote:

“I want to thank all the fans, friends, teammates, coaches and the Pacers organization for their support and prayers during this time. I also want to apologize to everyone, particularly the NBA and the Pacers for my bad choice at being out at that time. I am doing as well as can be expected and I will work hard to make a full recovery.”

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I heard the Haitians made a beautiful pitch to DeMarcus

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

chunkles posted:

Because Sports players are the only people in the entire goddamn loving nation we hold to such impossibly high standards.

Most people require less of our loving politicians and public servants than we do of Demarcus Cousins.

And it's not even just professional athletes. "student athletes" are 18-22 year olds who get poo poo on for putting their own future potential earnings ahead of a college that does not give a gently caress about them outside of how well they play football.

When most of these people would leave their job right now middle fingers waiving in the air. for a 30-50% raise doing the same thing elsewhere much less going from being unpaid to being a goddamn millionaire.

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 19, 2016

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Lets all predict the worst player who is going to get a designated player contract by a GM looking to save his job.

200 mil for 6 years of Rudy Gay (by Orlando)?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Lets all predict the worst player who is going to get a designated player contract by a GM looking to save his job.

You need to have been named to an All-NBA team or DPOY the year before the extension or two of the previous three years or MVP once in the last three, so it'll be difficult to give to to someone who isn't at least somewhat worth it.

The Nets and Knicks will somehow find a way though I'm sure.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You need to qualify for it with All-NBA or MVP appearances, and it has to be the team that drafted you/traded for you on your rookie contract.

quote:

Who can get it?

A player qualifies for the DPE, which can be used to give a player a contract extension or to sign him as a free agent, if he does one of the following:

1. He makes one of the three all-NBA teams or is named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.

2. He has made one of the three all-NBA teams or has been named defensive player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.

And this crucial stipulation: He has to be on the team that drafted him or has to have been traded on his rookie deal to another team.

So it's going to be hard to make a big mistake with this contract. Goran Dragic could have gotten it, I suppose, which would have been pretty funny.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah only way you can make a "mistake" is if someone gets hurt. Other than that anyone with that type of resume you are going to want to keep around anyway.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Curry is eligible for the designated extension this offseason, Klay will be eligible in summer 2018 if he makes an All-NBA either this season or next season.

From what it sounds like (all TBC obviously when the terms are officially announced) GSW this summer will let Iggy and Livingston walk, resign Durant to a four year max through 2021, resign Curry to the new DPE max through 2022, then next summer extend Klay to their second DPE through 2024, all whilst Draymond is signed through 2020 already. Of course if they take that route they will be paying through the nose in luxury tax and the rest of their rotation will be exceptions (the MLE is being increased which will help), min sal vets and rookies, but if they want to keep the band together it's very doable for the next four years.

If they don't want to pay so much luxury tax on three max salaries or find that being so top heavy means their depth is just too shallow to compete, then either Klay or Draymond will make mightily enticing trade bait in the 2018 offseason.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 20, 2016

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

man you are the type of people that tried to get frequency vibrations out of the league for associating with Vic van lier

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/810891955521490944

:lol: gotta give the media input on this because it's not like they don't already get to voice their bad opinions other, more important places

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

All-Star picks, brought to you by the people who didn't think James Harden was third team all-NBA.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

tanglewood1420 posted:

Curry is eligible for the designated extension this offseason, Klay will be eligible in summer 2018 if he makes an All-NBA either this season or next season.

From what it sounds like (all TBC obviously when the terms are officially announced) GSW this summer will let Iggy and Livingston walk, resign Durant to a four year max through 2021, resign Curry to the new DPE max through 2022, then next summer extend Klay to their second DPE through 2024, all whilst Draymond is signed through 2020 already. Of course if they take that route they will be paying through the nose in luxury tax and the rest of their rotation will be exceptions (the MLE is being increased which will help), min sal vets and rookies, but if they want to keep the band together it's very doable for the next four years.

If they don't want to pay so much luxury tax on three max salaries or find that being so top heavy means their depth is just too shallow to compete, then either Klay or Draymond will make mightily enticing trade bait in the 2018 offseason.

I hope DPE creates more sign-and-trade drama with top-players. That is my kind of poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

All star picks sponsored by Zach Lowe writing 2000 words about how Dame Lillard is a great leader

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

chunkles posted:

All-Star picks, brought to you by the people who didn't think James Harden was third team all-NBA.

never forget

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

as if Zach Lowe doesn't already have a fake twitter account where he gives all star votes to inefficient scorers while jerking it and calling himself a naughty boy.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

These fans have too much influence in this fun but meaningless exhibition game that we put on for the fans

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

BWV posted:

as if Zach Lowe doesn't already have a fake twitter account where he gives all star votes to inefficient scorers while jerking it and calling himself a naughty boy.

subtweet me, will you *frantically mashes block button*

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's still not clear whether the "team that drafted you" stipulation means that a guy can go back to his draft team on the new DPE. Could OKC basically offer Durant a billion dollars next year if he opts out?

The All NBA/MVP/DPoY poo poo is also bizarre and will just gently caress people over. Why not just make it a minutes played stipulation in order to basically include any starter?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Because the owners want to protect themselves from themselves so they don't give 200 million to Derrick Favors or Eric Bledsoe or whoever.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

leftist heap posted:

The All NBA/MVP/DPoY poo poo is also bizarre and will just gently caress people over. Why not just make it a minutes played stipulation in order to basically include any starter?

to prevent owners and/or gms from doing something really stupid

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
GMs will always find ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Brolander posted:

This is a page back or whatever but Boogie is definitely a poo poo head and a baby, maybe I just don't like the face he makes after foul calls. Still the best center in the league, probably

He looks exactly like Roseanne's fat son

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

#BlameTheProcess
https://twitter.com/tmoore76ers/status/810912814374289408

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Old White Dudes in Sacramento media just have it out for Boogie. Noted moron Marcos Breton wrote an entire article about Barnes, Boogie and Gay drinking Hennessy on Instagram after the cancelled 76ers game. Breton pointed out that you don't need to show the world your drinking habits and what about the kids and blah blah blah. The third or fourth picture on Bretons Twitter at that time was of a beer he was drinking.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

leftist heap posted:

GMs will always find ways to shoot themselves in the foot.

The league basically making an exception to benefit the Knicks and putting a giant neon "USE THIS ON ALLAN HOUSTON" sign in the name, yet the Knicks deciding to use it on someone else will never not be funny.

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Jesus christ what a bitch

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Mr. F! posted:

I highly doubt any basketball player or professional athelete is a crip or a blood lol

You'd be surprised at how many athletes have gang ties either through friends or from where they grew up. That being said "gang ties" are overblown to begin with and usually not that big of a deal

At worst Cousins doesn't wear blue and has a gamertag involving the word "Bousins"

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Jota posted:

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Jota posted:

e: did Ujiri complain about the pile of poo poo the Colangelos left for him? No, he just traded Bargnani for twenty Knicks picks and moved on with his life

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Clint Capela may have a broken fibula. Way to go KAT :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

dokmo posted:

I'm glad we went through this soul searching discussion about Kevin Love because it's something I've been thinking about a lot lately: the way we remember our predictions when we get them right and forget about the uncertainty we faced when making them. I'm looking through my predraft notes and I'm embarrassed by how low my success rate is. It may be helpful to have a prediction contest the next time a big trade happens so we can look back later and see exactly what we thought at the time and be humbled by how wrong we were (or gloat about how right we were). This would be different than just predicting wins or who makes the playoffs because there would be greater uncertainty, the main thing people forget.

I do think that would be cool. I know I thought the Dwight Kobe Pau Nash Lakers were going to be good, that OJ mayo would be much better than Love, and that harden couldn't be the best guy on a contending team when he left the Thunder for the Rockets. I'm wrong a lot!

• Locked thread