Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Anyone tried Hermes? It's awesome.

Lightweight Pandora client with free high quality, no ads or skip limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Steam home streaming works very well except with stuff like racing games where the frame changes a lot. Perfect for platformers or RPGs. That being said the streaming client has been crashing for me on Sierra. When I had it working, it worked well and lag free even with both host and client on 802.11ac. Both wired to GigE would be even better.

eames
May 9, 2009

PRADA SLUT posted:

Gaming question

Assuming a sufficiently fast LAN, is there a reason why building a (Windows) gaming computer, stuffing it somewhere, and then using remote access or steam streaming wouldn't be a viable option with a MBP?

This and PS4 remote play are the only viable options for gaming unless you want to put up with Bootcamp.

Nerdy heads up: the Dell Poweredge T20 with a Xeon e3-1225v3 (3.2 Ghz quadcore Haswell) is on sale for <$250 at the moment. The CPU alone costs more than the whole system. It has a 16x PCIe 3.0 port, 290W PSU and supports VT-d. That means you can run Linux as a NAS, install Windows 10 in a KVM VM, pass through a GPU like a GTX1060/RX480 and use steam streaming at 95% of the native performance... on a NAS that only uses around 20-30W idle.
Check out unRAID, it's commercial and a bit hacky but lets you do the above with a few mouse clicks.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah it was working fine a few days ago before I upgraded to 10.12.2 on the MBP. could have just been a short term thing? I'll check again later, thanks for the advice !

Also try this tip:

http://www.mseri.me/fixing-wifi-on-os-x-by-tweaking-the-mtu/

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

eames posted:

This and PS4 remote play are the only viable options for gaming unless you want to put up with Bootcamp.

Nerdy heads up: the Dell Poweredge T20 with a Xeon e3-1225v3 (3.2 Ghz quadcore Haswell) is on sale for <$250 at the moment. The CPU alone costs more than the whole system. It has a 16x PCIe 3.0 port, 290W PSU and supports VT-d. That means you can run Linux as a NAS, install Windows 10 in a KVM VM, pass through a GPU like a GTX1060/RX480 and use steam streaming at 95% of the native performance... on a NAS that only uses around 20-30W idle.
Check out unRAID, it's commercial and a bit hacky but lets you do the above with a few mouse clicks.

is there a good howto on this anywhere? I'm curious about exactly how it works

eames
May 9, 2009

emdash posted:

is there a good howto on this anywhere? I'm curious about exactly how it works

the closest thing i could find is this annoying video, sans the in-home streaming.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does the late 2013 MBP have 80211AC, and the AirPort Express that's right before they got all fat? I don't know where to find those specs.

I'm debating building a local steam gaming PC with streaming vs doing a cloud gaming setup. Can macOS receive Steam streams from a windows computer of windows games?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Does the late 2013 MBP have 80211AC
Yes System Report on my machine says it has 802.11ac.

PRADA SLUT posted:

AirPort Express
Wikipedia's pretty easy to decipher: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Express

None of the AirPort Express models have 802.11ac.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Can macOS receive Steam streams from a windows computer of windows games?
Yeah that's the point.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

NeuralSpark posted:

I stream with Steam from a miniITX gaming PC stuff into a cabinet under my desk to my MBP and MacBook all the time. Works like a champ, and keeps the GF happy 'cause I'm sitting with her versus in my office.

Could this extend to streaming a PC game (non-Steam) capture to a rMBP, so the laptop could take the brunt for web streaming purposes? I've wanted to do this for a while, but got lazy/didnt know where to start.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

enojy posted:

Could this extend to streaming a PC game (non-Steam) capture to a rMBP, so the laptop could take the brunt for web streaming purposes? I've wanted to do this for a while, but got lazy/didnt know where to start.

The PC has to encode the video and send it over the LAN to the MBP, which isn’t fundamentally different than encoding the video and streaming it directly to the Internet.

It’s possible that the load would ease a little because the compression doesn’t have to be as good thanks to your LAN’s greater bandwidth, and/or Steam having better code than whatever you’re using to broadcast, but I wouldn’t bet on it.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

That should work, but by that point you'll be re-compressing a video stream that's already been compressed one. It may get a little ugly.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
the time capsule (RIP) has wireless ac but you have to turn on the 5ghz network to use it, also you should make your laptop forget the other network unless you want it to suddenly switch back to n at random

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

enojy posted:

The host just plays the game locally so you can control the host and stream to the rMBP. No it doesn't have to be a steam game you can just "add game" on Steam, start streaming on the client and then just play on the host.

As someone said you'd be recompressing a compressed stream but if they're both on GigE it might not be so bad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Ahh OK, thanks. I was hoping there was some way to do all of the encoding on the rMBP, but I suppose that'd probably have to be a hardware solution like a external capture card.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I just had to restore to 10.12.1. The update made my Wacom tablet work in a very weird fashion (couldn't use keyboard modifiers while holding the pen to the canvas). Tried different driver versions, latest & older working ones, but this is killing my workflow, and I had to roll back.

Will try the update again if Wacom comes out with a newer driver.

e: Did they change the way keyboard input is handled by external devices somehow with this update? Because my Logitech mouse was behaving weirdly too (back & forward buttons not working at all) until I updated the drivers to the latest version.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 20, 2016

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
What about services like gamefly? It just occurred to me that buying a new $500 video card and like $500 on a new mb and CPU is probably not worth it for the quantity and types of games I play and I'd really just use Windows as little as possible when this desktop dies, but I do like my PC gaming every so often.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Since upgrading to 12.2 I can't open sparsebundles on my airport time capsule-- as in, a volume saved alongside my system backup for the purposes of being available over the local network. Finder returns an error that disk image mounter cannot be found. Anyone know about this?

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Uggh, did apple just roll out updates to their wifi drivers in the past few days?

We're getting reports of MacOSX boxes dying all over the place starting a couple of days ago with them unable to authenticate to APs randomly.

(Generally this is in a corporate environment with multiple APs, so it's definitely a driver issue - works on 1 ap, then fails to authenticate to another one when it roams/moves).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

There was a general security update issued to Yosemite, El Cap and Sierra about a week ago, no mention of any WiFi patches, but some underlying security foundations WiFi uses for authentication, etc. might have been changed.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Since 10.12.2 came out after the new MBPs, I assume all builds are currently unified on that release? I want to make installation media for a 2016 MBP coming in a couple days and want to double check that 10.12.2 from the App Store will work just fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The newest that ships with MacBook Pro 15-inch Late 2016 is macOS 10.12.1 (16B2659) so 10.12.2 should be a good start.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

Since upgrading to 12.2 I can't open sparsebundles on my airport time capsule-- as in, a volume saved alongside my system backup for the purposes of being available over the local network. Finder returns an error that disk image mounter cannot be found. Anyone know about this?

Actually I can't even open normal files that are on the airport time capsule drive, using Finder. I can get in the drive and navigate around, and I can do Quick Look previews, but if I try to open, say, a text file, it gives an error. Disk Utility can open my sparsebundle though. Seems like a permissions problem? But in terminal I seem to be the owner of the files... Anyone else see this problem? I can't be the only one who puts random poo poo on the airport time capsule drive alongside the TM backup..

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Have you tried updating the firmware to the new 7.7.8 revision and see if you still get that error?

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-12-20/how-apple-alienated-mac-loyalists

Apple no longer has a dedicated macOS team: RIP macOS.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That's really not good. I know Apple run itself like a small company that makes a ridiculous amount of money, but that strategy is really not working when they have such a wide product base now and they're coming off a year where they nearly forgot they actually make computers.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

This whole 'twilight of MacOS' thing is really bumming me out. I'm sure there's years left in it, I just hope that Windows 11 or whatever is in a better place when it's time to jump ship.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

well why not posted:

This whole 'twilight of MacOS' thing is really bumming me out. I'm sure there's years left in it, I just hope that Windows 11 or whatever is in a better place when it's time to jump ship.

As long as windows is 'compatible' and allows every tom dick and jane to write drivers and make hardware, it's not going to be anywhere as good

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

well why not posted:

I recently re-built a gaming rig for shits and giggles and, along with Windows 10, threw Arch on a partition just to see how far Linux has come in the 10 years since I actively used it on the desktop. Long story short: it still suuuuuuuuuucks as a desktop OS. I know there aren't all that many of us that use OS X because it's unix w/ a pretty UI, but jesus christ I am not optimistic about what the future holds for us.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Look at all these people who think anyone is going to have a desktop OS in 10 years.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

In 10 years we almost certainly will. That's 2026. There'll probably still be MBPs from 2020 running at that stage. 15 or 20 years is a very different question.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there a way to get iTunes to load up every stream listed in a .pls file? Vox Player has started choking on my streaming music stations so I'm trying to switch over to iTunes. When I open the PLS file in iTunes I see the first stream listed under Internet Radio, but no obvious way to tell iTunes to load up the other 10 or 11 stream URLs in the file.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

well why not posted:

In 10 years we almost certainly will. That's 2026. There'll probably still be MBPs from 2020 running at that stage. 15 or 20 years is a very different question.

Yeah, but in 2026, Windows 20 will just be Windows 10 with a decade's worth of security and driver updates.

MacOS will just be a forked version of iOS with legacy Intel support available in emulation. No developers will be making new software for that platform. It'll be like running a PPC Mac now.

Apple doesn't need a dedicated MacOS group if all they're going to do is port new features that first appear in iOS.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Binary Badger posted:

Have you tried updating the firmware to the new 7.7.8 revision and see if you still get that error?

Tried last night, no difference. I fooled around a bit more: if I double click a text file on the networked drive it pops an error that it can't find textedit.app. If i open textedit and then open the file from within the app dialog it works fine. Similarly if I try to mount a disk image on the drive using Finder it fails, but I can do hdiutil mount in terminal and it works. I can unmount in Finder without issues. So I don't know wtf is going on, but I can work around it for now. It's something stupid, though!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

As a last resort you could try running the 10.11.6 or 10.11.2 combo update (not the delta) and see if that works.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Binary Badger posted:

As a last resort you could try running the 10.11.6 or 10.11.2 combo update (not the delta) and see if that works.

Can anyone confirm that my problem doesn't happen on their fully updated macOS and airport time capsule?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

At this point all I need is a good iTunes alternative that can import my data from iTunes, has the smart playlists, and can keep track of all the last played, date added, etc. Once I can replace iTunes, I might get out of the ecosystem at this rate. But I'm too heavily invested in iTunes right now.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, but in 2026, Windows 20 will just be Windows 10 with a decade's worth of security and driver updates.

MacOS will just be a forked version of iOS with legacy Intel support available in emulation. No developers will be making new software for that platform. It'll be like running a PPC Mac now.

Apple doesn't need a dedicated MacOS group if all they're going to do is port new features that first appear in iOS.

My guess is they aren't going to maintain a dedicated MacOS team because they already effectively don't. Where I work we develop two similar but separate products with separate code bases and are expected to be able to jump between them and know our component in both products--management probably already moves people between MacOS and iOS as needed and this just institutionalizes that.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
It might be a good thing that all the engineers are too busy making IOS worser so Apple doesn't have much capability to make macOS worser.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
It's been solidly downhill since Mavericks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

Phoenixan posted:

I just had to restore to 10.12.1. The update made my Wacom tablet work in a very weird fashion (couldn't use keyboard modifiers while holding the pen to the canvas). Tried different driver versions, latest & older working ones, but this is killing my workflow, and I had to roll back.

Will try the update again if Wacom comes out with a newer driver.

e: Did they change the way keyboard input is handled by external devices somehow with this update? Because my Logitech mouse was behaving weirdly too (back & forward buttons not working at all) until I updated the drivers to the latest version.
A new Wacom driver is out. Just thought I'd post about it in case other tablet users check this thread.

It mostly works. I've had touch features break the pen, but if you don't use touch at all it works fine now.

e: The driver update I talked about before is apparently gone from Wacom's page now for whatever reason (version 6.3.19-9). I've been finding that version 6.3.15-1 works a bit better now anyway.

Phoenixan fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 24, 2016