Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

When i'm here i gently caress with it a lot because it's just a bookmark link in my browser. My schedule is set to, 19 at 5pm, 17 at 10pm.

You need to buy that lady some socks.

McTinkerson posted:

So what other statistics can you get out of the nests? Is the deadband configurable?
I'm trying really hard not to go buy a v3.

It's really like apple levels of basic to stop old people from accidentally freezing to death. it's handy as hell for adjusting the temps without getting out of bed.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Mine is 17C during weekday/nights and 20.5C when home... although almost always over-ridden to 22C lately.

I am wondering what the sweet-spot is for the low.

For example, if the house is at 16C when we get home (the away/eco temp often comes on) the furnace will be on for near 2 hours getting the house back up to ~21C. I wonder if it were running for 2 hours, would it be better off being at.. I don't know, 20C, and just letting it run for 10-15 minutes every hour or so to keep it there?

I can say Nest has royally screwed the pooch a couple times and it's a miracle they haven't been sued. There was a firmware update they pushed out a couple years ago which bricked the low-voltage charging through the thermostat power which made the nests go completely, stone dead - in the middle of winter.

The only way to recover was to pull the nest off the wall/mount and do a wired USB hook up to it to force the charge into it. Nest was totally silent on the issue for something like 2 days while people were, rightfully so, freaking the gently caress out that their furnaces weren't working in the winter. Good thing it wasn't a cold snap like how it was here because poo poo could have really went sideways.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It all really depends on how efficient your house is. If it takes effort to maintain 20c, it's gonna burn a lot of gas doing it.

Depending on the age of your house, pointing that flir at the windows might worry you. Another bad one is if you have upstairs laundry, point the flir where the dryer vent runs to the outside of the house. that's usually a bad one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

House is about 10 years old and doesn't feel drafty - but it was a spec house so I know they didn't exactly go top of the line with windows and probably whatever code stipulated for those and insulation.

I actually think the builder cheaped on out the furnace when they built it and went on the borderline of sizing it right. I just think the furnace has to work pretty hard to get the temp up. Once it gets to where it needs to go (after the contents/everything has warmed up) it will usually stay there for about an hour or so until it falls that .5C (or whatever) the call to heat trigger is again.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Dec 18, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

JFC, I keep my place at 14 when I'm not home and like 18.5 when I am.

I like programmable thermostats but I really don't want a nest-type unit.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Wife keeps the thermostat at 22 and threatens withdrawal of services at anything less than 21 :argh:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You guys fuckin jinxed me. I came in from outside loving freezing and just couldn't warm up. thermostat at 22 and under a heated blanket shivering for like an hour.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My GF and I are visiting my family in Calgary, we'll be showing up this week. We'll be renting a car just for the drive from Regina and then another one-way rental for the trip back. My parents are not convinced by the whole winter-tires-thing (much to my despair).

We're going to visit a few wilderness hostels in Banff and Jasper parks, with a drive up the Icefields parkway. My parents are going to loan us their 2009 (?) Pontiac Montana for the trip. The National Parks require either winter tires or to carry chains and obviously we're not interested in getting stuck in a frozen ditch at any time.

I've looked at kijiji and it seems I could buy a set of winters on rims that would fit for around $400, or new chains for around $140/pair (and I'd just need one pair, for the drive wheels, right?).

Does anybody have a set of winters or chains we could borrow / rent for Jan 1 to Jan 4? We'll be leaving Calgary lunchtime on the 1st and passing through Edmonton on the way back down on the 4th, but I could meet up with somebody at any time from boxing day onwards. I'm quite willing to drive to Edmonton or wherever to make this happen, and if somebody needs a thing or a person or whatever would fit in a minivan moved around I can do that, too. The Montana is wearing 225/60/17 all-seasons and it seems like a wide range of wheels can be bolted on to its 5x114.3 hubs. Could I throw some money and a case of beer at somebody?

Or if somebody has some other crazier idea I'm all ears.

\/\/\/ sounds like a classic case of "needs more fire"

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 18, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hey it's a nice-ish day out, let's go make some presents, I said to myself.

The last two weeks have made my anvil so cold it sucks all the heat out of my workpiece before I can do anything.

:smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ExecuDork posted:

My GF and I are visiting my family in Calgary, we'll be showing up this week. We'll be renting a car just for the drive from Regina and then another one-way rental for the trip back. My parents are not convinced by the whole winter-tires-thing (much to my despair).

We're going to visit a few wilderness hostels in Banff and Jasper parks, with a drive up the Icefields parkway. My parents are going to loan us their 2009 (?) Pontiac Montana for the trip. The National Parks require either winter tires or to carry chains and obviously we're not interested in getting stuck in a frozen ditch at any time.

I've looked at kijiji and it seems I could buy a set of winters on rims that would fit for around $400, or new chains for around $140/pair (and I'd just need one pair, for the drive wheels, right?).

Does anybody have a set of winters or chains we could borrow / rent for Jan 1 to Jan 4? We'll be leaving Calgary lunchtime on the 1st and passing through Edmonton on the way back down on the 4th, but I could meet up with somebody at any time from boxing day onwards. I'm quite willing to drive to Edmonton or wherever to make this happen, and if somebody needs a thing or a person or whatever would fit in a minivan moved around I can do that, too. The Montana is wearing 225/60/17 all-seasons and it seems like a wide range of wheels can be bolted on to its 5x114.3 hubs. Could I throw some money and a case of beer at somebody?

Or if somebody has some other crazier idea I'm all ears.
Buy some chains from Amazon and when you are done with them leave them with your folks for a Christmas present.

Size chart here:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/B1AuiYOtblS.pdf

Link chains
https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Chain-WS1614-Whitestar-Traction/dp/B002J78P5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482097281&sr=8-1&keywords=ws1614

Inexpensive cable chains
https://www.amazon.ca/Security-Chain-Company-SC1038-Traction/dp/B000VAKXVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1482097455&sr=8-1&keywords=sc1038

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You know, when I saw the forecast that the cold snap was going to break everyone knew it was going to be windy, but jesus gently caress enough already. I'm tired of the house feeling like its shaking off the foundation at 3AM.

Here is a nifty little thing if you haven't seen it yet
https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=-115.53,52.71,3000

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

You know, when I saw the forecast that the cold snap was going to break everyone knew it was going to be windy, but jesus gently caress enough already. I'm tired of the house feeling like its shaking off the foundation at 3AM.

It's fun looking out and seeing the parked cars swaying on their suspension.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it went from -42windchill to +4 in 24 hours up in GP. I was sweating while working last night.

edit: LoL just noticed the new avatar. People used to give me so much poo poo for that chicks rear end on the last one, not knowing that some mod put it there to replace some cyclist holding a trophy with a surprise boner that people couldn't stand. Then they'd call me sexist.

I've never purchased an av.

jonathan fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 19, 2016

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I munged a wheel on the Speed, sliding into a curb (entirely my fault, I'm an idiot.) Still holds pressure but I should probably replace it before it shits the bed. My winter wheels are apparently 17"s off a Mazda6, I'm wondering if there would be any wreckers or tire shops in southern Alberta who would have OEM wheels on hand. The dealers can get 'em, of course.

I found a dude on Kijiji up in Edmonton with exactly what I need, but I have no real way of knowing if he's shady or not, considering he's selling "new in box" wheels for like $100 less than the dealers want.

e: I googled his name from the email, there's a guy with that name working a parts counter at a Mazda dealer in Edmonton. Is this likely to be legit clearing out old stock?

Phy fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 20, 2016

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
I don't know about legit, that sounds like asking to get fired, IMO. But hey, that's not your problem :v:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BNIB factory rims and a guy with that exact name happens to work parts at a dealership? Yeah, that sounds fishy as hell.

If he truly is selling hot poo poo and using his real name he deserves to get caught... which maybe makes me think maybe it is legit. :psyduck:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
So the guy asked me to call the parts counter at the dealer, which I did (number he gave me was the same as the one on the website), and he literally says it's overstock they're selling at cost, they've got a bunch which is why he's cool with selling one-ofs. Put me through the system, sent me an invoice from the dealer.

I don't know how much more legit I can expect it to be without dodging salesmen on my way through the shop.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well that sounds legit as hell.

If it helps and depending where the dealer is, I am heading to St. Albert this weekend for Christmas. I could pick it up and meet you off Stony Tr on the way back on Tuesday afternoon if you like.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's really generous, man. It's already on Greyhound though, should be getting it in a day or so.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
glad it all worked out, that's a good score dude!

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Alright, which one of you is this?

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/edmonton/stony-plain-alberta-zamboni-jesse-myshak-1.3908294

Edit: Costco has the Mad Max box set including both the 4k version of Fury Road and the black & chrome edition.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 23, 2016

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Merry belated Christmas fellow albortions.

Leaving yql on Christmas Eve morning, did one last shovel as the snow was falling only to notice the wind has been so strong it actually ripped a downspout clean off my eavestrough.

Couldn't do much about it as we were litterally leaving, so drove to Edmonton and was greeted by further losing faith in humanity by the absolutely atrocious driving skills on the 500km trip. Countless vehicles in the ditch and two extremes of driving. Indifference to the conditions and people driving in the passing lane with their hazard lights on doing 40kph when there was simply no need for it.

Coming back on the 27th was reminded of how awful the QE2 is getting with basically Bowden to Airdrie almost becoming a parking lot at times. Bumper to bumper traffic and people verging into road rage.

Got home late afternoon to find my subdivision inaccessible without a decently high clearance 4x4 truck (thankfully we brought the taco and not the legacy) and as I was shovelling the drifts as packed as concrete from our sidewalk I noticed a piece of something... something that suspiciously looked like siding, my siding to be exact. :(

loving lovely vinyl siding. It's always the top piece next to the soffit to be the one to come off too, because they're the ones that aren't tacked in like the rest (nail strip is left off).

Hardi-board or something like that is looking pretty drat appealing.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 29, 2016

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Yeah I'm with you man. As soon as my siding gets ripped off, I'm replacing it with hardiboard.

Wind finally died down here today after rattling the house for the last three days. I've got some serious drifts in the driveway that I keep knocking down with the 3/4 ton, the axle tramp is deafening at times.

Hoping to throw some shocks at my sister's car out in the shop though, wish me luck.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
The roads here are still getting cleared from the 18-33 cm of snow we got on boxing day, side street plowing only started last night.

I'm heading out to a friends cabin today and we're expecting another storm with 10-15 cm of snow. Owning a truck is starting to look more and more appealing :v:

Bulk Vanderhuge fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Dec 29, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh man, the snow made boxing day a peach. Everyone must have been stuck in their driveways because the stores were pretty empty. (Not that the boxing day sales were that great anyway)

The wife's Subaru made a pretty drat good impression of a snow plow getting out of our bay.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bitch time: If workers are scheduled to work 16+ hour days, the support staff (ie dispatch and mechanics) should bloody well work the same loving hours. I came back to town boxing day evening with a creaky 5th wheel, steer axle leaf spring pins beat and popping and creaking, and a busted radio. They send me back out yesterday "be on location for 11am". Ok, so I get into work, and my tractor hasn't even been looked at. I go talk to the shop foreman;

"Oh well we're short staffed and there are only so many hours in a day, plus it was christmas we don't work those days"

I worked 21 hours on christmas eve, christmas day, and 17 hours boxing day, not because I wanted to. Yet dispatch and management is home with their families, as are the mechanics. I hosed with the truck from 9am until 2pm and then went to work until 5am. Another 20 hour day which I'm not complaining about, it just pisses me off that these fucks are fine getting me to work like this while they're doing their 8-5 shifts and getting bitchy if they have to stay late.

Edit: oops this isn't the trucker thread.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

It's ok man, we sympathize.

Long hours sucks for everyone, and it's terrible they expect you to put in that kind of time.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

jonathan posted:

Bitch time: If workers are scheduled to work 16+ hour days, the support staff (ie dispatch and mechanics) should bloody well work the same loving hours. I came back to town boxing day evening with a creaky 5th wheel, steer axle leaf spring pins beat and popping and creaking, and a busted radio. They send me back out yesterday "be on location for 11am". Ok, so I get into work, and my tractor hasn't even been looked at. I go talk to the shop foreman;

"Oh well we're short staffed and there are only so many hours in a day, plus it was christmas we don't work those days"

I worked 21 hours on christmas eve, christmas day, and 17 hours boxing day, not because I wanted to. Yet dispatch and management is home with their families, as are the mechanics. I hosed with the truck from 9am until 2pm and then went to work until 5am. Another 20 hour day which I'm not complaining about, it just pisses me off that these fucks are fine getting me to work like this while they're doing their 8-5 shifts and getting bitchy if they have to stay late.

Edit: oops this isn't the trucker thread.

And then as soon as you're asleep at 9am, they phone asking where your paperwork is and ask if you can just hop out of bed and run it in. :allears:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Slung Blade posted:

It's ok man, we sympathize.

Long hours sucks for everyone, and it's terrible they expect you to put in that kind of time.

Personally I like compressing a week's work into 3 or 4 days.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Can anyone tell me what to expect the bill to be for water in floor heating for a 30x40 shop that is insulated ?

Not the installation bill but the monthly winter power bill

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Depends how you heat your water and how well insulated/warm you keep the shop. Best guess talking out of my rear end? Somewhere between $50-$100 per month.

In other news, I am in the process of getting quotes for redoing the siding and shingles on my 9 year old house. I am sick and tired of the lovely vinyl and cheap shingles taking flight. It was pretty good the last couple years, but the hail storm earlier this year ($9K insurance payout) and the siding taking flight has pushed me over the edge.

Roof with quality Owen-Corning or GAF shingles (gently caress IKO and their plant which burns down every 2 years) is going to be $9-10K. Hardie siding, pushing $20K.

Mrs. Slidebite wants to go house shopping :argh: but I think we're going to take the plunge and do it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

slidebite posted:

gently caress IKO and their plant which burns down every 2 years

Hahahahah, it's like a monthly thing. You can set your calendar by it.

If I had unlimited money, I'd build a house out of cemented river stone, it's really the only way to survive this climate.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's great thing is that if you google IKO calgary the google info page uses a photo of the plant on fire.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

It's great thing is that if you google IKO calgary the google info page uses a photo of the plant on fire.

A couple of months ago Slung and I drove by the IKO factory and I couldn't recognize it up close and not from the angle of a news chopper recording the blaze.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
I was a roofer for a couple of years and IKO shingles were awesome but I didn't need to worry about burning plants. GAF were usually cheap and sucked to install because they had the worst goddamn fiberglass splinters in them Jesus fuckinchrist I can still remember pulling them out of my fingers

BP weren't bad, as a second place pick

But this was all 10+ years ago, so the relative quality definitely could have changed

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

DrakeriderCa posted:

I was a roofer for a couple of years and IKO shingles were awesome but I didn't need to worry about burning plants. GAF were usually cheap and sucked to install because they had the worst goddamn fiberglass splinters in them Jesus fuckinchrist I can still remember pulling them out of my fingers

But this was all 10+ years ago, so the relative quality definitely could have changed

That's sure a job I'm glad I never did, roofing just sounds like an awful time all around. Good on you man, I don't think I could have handled it.

poo poo's getting cold out there again guys, keep your gasline antifreeze at the ready.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Gas is 108.9 everyfuckin where and it's supposed to go up 4.5 cents tomorrow if they're not just loving us early to skim a days worth of carbon taxes motherfuckers.

If it does, that'll put gas at 113.4 with oil under half the price the last time it was there. If oil climbs back up to $100/barrel we're gonna be at $2 a liter.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, gas has gone up about 15%+ the past week down here, without the Carbon Tax.

DrakeriderCa posted:

I salute you. I do not envy anyone doing that job. Roofing and dry-walling are probably my 2 least enjoyable things to get my hands dirty doing not that I've done them a ton.

Interesting about the GAF - every roofing company I have spoken to that sells anything but the IKO really has nothing good to say about them, other than "it's what everyone sells here" and that they're the cheapest. GAFs are not an small premium to them.. around 20%? Surprising they used to actually be cheaper. Maybe they were different then?

I'll probably be going with the Owens-Corning shingles anyhow. They are guaranteeing no blow-off to 210KPH which if that happens we're going to have bigger things to worry about.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

slidebite posted:

Hardie siding, pushing $20K.
Hardie board is totally worth it. Just make sure you got all the holes you need already; it took the cable guy six hours and three drills to put a drop in my house :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have a wood stove in my basement that I haven't used in a couple years. I think the chimney is plugged. I tried to "burn out" whatever was in the chimney and it pretty much ruined my romantic evening.

Is there a way to unplug it without yanking the fucker apart ?