Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Recess Rapist posted:

I'm not defending this card in a vacuum, but this on T4 +1, land T5 +1 will let you drop a 7 mana Bolas on T5 and fix your colors to do so. It's not nothing, though almost every deck will take advantage of you if you basically take turn 4 off.

Chandra does that too and also protects itself and is also playable in a Grixis deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Why are the 3 4 mana gold Planeswalkers in standard MUCH less powerful than the 2 Monocolored 4 mana walkers in standard?

Tamiyo is ridiculously good, but she's also Bant-colored. Bant Coco was Bant, so it played her. None of the decks currently in Standard are Bant, so none play her. If something coming up encourages playing Bant, it'll sleeve up some Tamiyo.

Also there are 5 if we include Tezzeret in the count.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Tamiyo is ridiculously good, but she's also Bant-colored. Bant Coco was Bant, so it played her. None of the decks currently in Standard are Bant, so none play her. If something coming up encourages playing Bant, it'll sleeve up some Tamiyo.

Also there are 5 if we include Tezzeret in the count.

Dovan, Tamiyo and Tezz. What am I missing? And they are all mediocre to bad. Tamiyo is the best but even that was only a decent SB card or 1 of for the bant mirror

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

Dovan, Tamiyo and Tezz. What am I missing? And they are all mediocre to bad. Tamiyo is the best but even that was only a decent SB card or 1 of for the bant mirror

Arlin and Kiora.

Turns out is some Bant in this standard, because the value guys that made Coco so busted are still really good on their own, shockingly. It plays Tamiyo. Not a whole lot of Bant, mind, because the lists are mostly sad ex-coco lists that sleeved up copters instead.

Also I imagine her board-state value-grinding lifestyle isn't suited for what Aetherworks Marvel is doing to the world.

This MTGO tournament that conveniently was 8 Coco lists shows a spread from 2 main to 1 main to 1 sideboard. Never a split, it seems.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

is nahiri not in standard anymore

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
6. :psyduck:

Though I am pretty sure someone who makes a Modern archetype can't be called bad unless Standard and literally only Standard matters.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Hellsau posted:

Naw I lost to Rich Shay on round one of the daily, got a bye in round two and ate a seven day ban before round three. RIP me, my experiment with slightly better Mox Opals will hopefully at least get WotC to reban Gleemox.

Hellsau posted:

Surprise I actually got banned for playing Chain of Vapor. Probably. It didn't show up at all until I manually searched a bot's entire inventory after sorting alphabetically. I guess Chain of Vapor was shadowbanned and I got punished for finding a way around it.

:laffo: I love your mtgo adventures.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

80s James Hetfield posted:

It's hilariously funny how you can be banned on MTGO for their stupid error on their idiot program

I, too, see no reason to ban someone for intentionally breaking the rules.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

suicidesteve posted:

Playing Chain of Vapor is the most egregious of rules violations.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

suicidesteve posted:

Hellsau didn't break a rule, though, because the stupid error on their idiot program is that Chain of Vapor wasn't banned.

It'd be like punishing people for playing Eye of Ugin in Modern before its rightly-deserved ban. Wizards blatantly hosed up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Arlin and Kiora.

Turns out is some Bant in this standard, because the value guys that made Coco so busted are still really good on their own, shockingly. It plays Tamiyo. Not a whole lot of Bant, mind, because the lists are mostly sad ex-coco lists that sleeved up copters instead.

Also I imagine her board-state value-grinding lifestyle isn't suited for what Aetherworks Marvel is doing to the world.

This MTGO tournament that conveniently was 8 Coco lists shows a spread from 2 main to 1 main to 1 sideboard. Never a split, it seems.

True I forgot those and Nahiri. So there are 8 and only 1 multi colored one is any good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Hellsau didn't break a rule, though, because the stupid error on their idiot program is that Chain of Vapor wasn't banned.

It'd be like punishing people for playing Eye of Ugin in Modern before its rightly-deserved ban. Wizards blatantly hosed up.

I am pretty sure that nobody is playing that card and not realizing that its supposed to be banned. It says its loving banned on the card. (Obviously not chains of vapor)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

True I forgot those are Nahiri. So there are 8 and only 1 multi colored one is any good.

The gently caress are your standards? Does only Standard count? Because Nahiri is happening there too!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

MTG familiar doesn't show chain of vapor as banned in anything, am I missing something?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Just to be clear, I was banned for clowning around with Gleemox and happening to run into a streamer that a WotC employee was watching. I don't think it was Chain of Vapor that did it, but my total inability to search for Chain of Vapor on two different accounts was just an absurd MODO bug, just like Gleemox being playable was an absurd MODO bug.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I mean Nahari...

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
lmao vryn's prodigy was like $18.50 on friday and i was going to buy one for a stupid casual edh deck but today they're now $27+

#frontier

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

lmao vryn's prodigy was like $18.50 on friday and i was going to buy one for a stupid casual edh deck but today they're now $27+

#frontier

It appears people are trying to buy them up to0. I doubt frontier ever gets sanctioned and I will still be able to get a lot out of my jaces. At this point if I can straight up trade jaces for new lily I will be happy.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

Just to be clear, I was banned for clowning around with Gleemox and happening to run into a streamer that a WotC employee was watching. I don't think it was Chain of Vapor that did it, but my total inability to search for Chain of Vapor on two different accounts was just an absurd MODO bug, just like Gleemox being playable was an absurd MODO bug.

So it's still their idiot program being at fault. Did anyone get banned for Myr Superion or any of the other myriad bugs that offer minor advantage?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

So it's still their idiot program being at fault. Did anyone get banned for Myr Superion or any of the other myriad bugs that offer minor advantage?

Iirc, there was an explicit warning not to use Superion, under threat of bans.

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

Gleemox literally says on the card that it is banned. Mtgo being garbage is unacceptable but you cannot argue that anyone playing Gleemox in Legacy/Vintage doesn't know they are exploiting a bug.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Rogue0071 posted:

Gleemox literally says on the card that it is banned. Mtgo being garbage is unacceptable but you cannot argue that anyone playing Gleemox in Legacy/Vintage doesn't know they are exploiting a bug.

i can argue it, and will until my death on the field of battle

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

The gently caress are your standards?

Im pretty sure mcmagic's standard is "I think this card is good."

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rogue0071 posted:

If it were banned, how could he have played it? Checkmate. :smug:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Some Numbers posted:

Im pretty sure mcmagic's standard is "I think this card is good."

Nonsense. McMagic never thinks a card is good.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

#frontier

I'd offer to straight ship one to you for $20 but I'm about 1,000 miles from home. Good luck.

MTG finance is dumb.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Standard Showdown: It Was A Hit

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

PJOmega posted:

I'd offer to straight ship one to you for $20 but I'm about 1,000 miles from home. Good luck.

MTG finance is dumb.

Let mee know when you're home

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Boco_T posted:

Lmao

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Boco_T posted:

Supposedly wizards did a tweet asking how people liked the standard showdown and then promptly deleted it when every reply was negative. Some people said they hated standard, others said that the packs were terrible, and others said that they should do the same thing but for other formats because they hate standard, lol

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Dehtraen posted:

Supposedly wizards did a tweet asking how people liked the standard showdown and then promptly deleted it when every reply was negative. Some people said they hated standard, others said that the packs were terrible, and others said that they should do the same thing but for other formats because they hate standard, lol

It was a good idea, but without a follow-through many people are going to shelve their Standard decks. If only Wizards had the ability to, for the same cost as printing any other card, print cards people actually want to give out as incentives for playing Standard. Instead, I'm taking my deck apart along with everyone else.

And the packs did suck. I'm glad I decided to not open the three I managed to get.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Dehtraen posted:

Not just supposedly, there are plenty of people in this thread that can corroborate it's existence. I found it pretty funny to read through myself.

I've said this before, but you would think a company that can essentially print money for nerds would take full advantage of that and yet, here we are again.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Panharmonicon is a fun card and there's some other cool stuff going on, but a bunch of the actual format-definers make for pretty lovely games. Aethorworks Mirrors basically turn Wizard Poker into Wizard Roulette.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Dehtraen posted:

Why would they do this when they could just lie and say that people loved it, like they did the last time they asked for opinions on Twitter?

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!
How do y'all feel about this Vintage Cube version? I've only done a couple of drafts, but it feels less powerful and I'm not sure how I ought to be drafting it. I've got a couple of 2-1s, but it feels like both decks are really just 0-3 decks that I managed to get lucky with.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
I don't get the hate for Aetherworks Marvel honestly. It's good but it is a top down build-around combo deck and those are sweet, and also completely beatable if you really want to devote a few slots out of your 75 to it, and this thread was bemoaning the death of all archetypes not-midrange-buttfights up until the very moment that one started to actually perform.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"Do I have a game-winning creature in the top six cards of my deck" doesn't suddenly get more palatable when it's flipping Emrakul instead of like, a couple of 3-cmc dudes.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I thought the complaint is that it's a combo deck that also isn't that bad at pretending to be a midrange deck

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

sit on my Facebook posted:

I don't get the hate for Aetherworks Marvel honestly. It's good but it is a top down build-around combo deck and those are sweet, and also completely beatable if you really want to devote a few slots out of your 75 to it, and this thread was bemoaning the death of all archetypes not-midrange-buttfights up until the very moment that one started to actually perform.

Because the stupid bullshit where they try to use "look at the top six cards and hope for the best" as a balancing mechanic is terrible and just makes the games feel like they're left up to variance. We just got through playing with and against Collected Company for two years where games came down to "oh I missed on two Companies and lost" or "Oh you hit Reflector Mage + Duskwatch Recruiter, I guess I lose" and that's just really dumb to finally be rid of that card, just to have to face yet another high-power high-variance card in Aetherworks.

naturally I played Company and now play Aetherworks, so I guess WotC has my number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

and this thread was bemoaning the death of all archetypes not-midrange-buttfights up until the very moment that one started to actually perform.

There is more than one way for a format to be bad, you know. Just because goat poo poo starts filling the pool instead of cow poo poo doesn't mean the pool's suddenly better.

• Locked thread