Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kwyndig posted:

Bah, that one actually makes sense though, OCP was a cheap bunch of bastards. The only thing weird about that wall was it had the spike interface that apparently only Robocop was built to use.

We only see Robocop use it, but that doesn't mean other devices don't. It makes more sense that Robocop was built with a standard interface jack than that they stuck a jack on him and started adding the socket to computers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

My mum gave me a 500€ bill and I got my change through pneumatic tubes when I used it to buy a coffee maker at a department store. (I think we already established tubes aren't obsolete or failed but this is the first time I've personally seen them used since the 90s.) Obsolete, failed: 500€ bank notes. Literally obsolete because they stopped printing them.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the only time I saw 500€ notes were when Chinese tourists came into our shop because they didn't know that pretty much no one accepts them.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Jerry Cotton posted:

My mum gave me a 500€ bill and I got my change through pneumatic tubes when I used it to buy a coffee maker at a department store. (I think we already established tubes aren't obsolete or failed but this is the first time I've personally seen them used since the 90s.) Obsolete, failed: 500€ bank notes. Literally obsolete because they stopped printing them.

They withdrew the €500 note because literally the only people using them were drug dealers, organised crime and top-end corruption.

So you might want to have a little chat with your mum.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shai-Hulud posted:

Yeah the only time I saw 500€ notes were when Chinese tourists came into our shop because they didn't know that pretty much no one accepts them.

Well all the stores that would attract Chinese* tourists (i.e. expensive ones) here take 500€ bills. A co-worker bought a bag of candy (which is like 2-4€) with a 500€ bill from the grocery store attached to Stockmann but regular grocery stores will never take anything larger than 50€.

spog posted:

They withdrew the €500 note because literally the only people using them were drug dealers, organised crime and top-end corruption.

So you might want to have a little chat with your mum.

It is nice to chat, with mums.

*) Ten years ago I would've said Russian tourists but for some odd reason not many of those around these days.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I rarely ever see anybody but tourists use a £50 note in my shop. I don't think ATMs even give them out, I only get £10s and £20s when I request anything over £50.

We're moving to polymer notes and the £50 is the only note that's not slated to be replaced (though to be fair it did receive a redesign a few years back).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Veotax posted:

I rarely ever see anybody but tourists use a £50 note in my shop. I don't think ATMs even give them out, I only get £10s and £20s when I request anything over £50.

We're moving to polymer notes and the £50 is the only note that's not slated to be replaced (though to be fair it did receive a redesign a few years back).

I found the opposite in Europe, a good chunk of the ATMs I used only dispensed 20s if you specifically chose small bills, otherwise it was all 50s.

I was in Scotland last month and I could have sworn they were already using polymer notes? They definitely seemed sturdier than American bills.

It's still pretty funny to me that different banks in the UK get to print their own variations of the GBP notes.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jedit posted:

We only see Robocop use it, but that doesn't mean other devices don't. It makes more sense that Robocop was built with a standard interface jack than that they stuck a jack on him and started adding the socket to computers.

We both know that Robocop was built with that interface so he could stab that one dude in the head with it.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Grand Prize Winner posted:

e: for extra obsoleteness, shot with a Samsung Galaxy S4.
I'm still rocking an S4 too. When it's absolutely unusable, I'll get rid of it, but it works just fine for what I need and I have no reason to replace it right now.

(get off my lawn, whippersnappers, etc.)

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

As an Australian, all paper currencies are obsolete in face of scaled, colour-coded, waterproof, tearproof polymer notes. In fact, in Aus I rarely use physical currency because we have paypass nearly everywhere and a $100 limit.

The actual australian dollar itself, uh, isn't so great, but goddamn is it convenient to handle and spend!

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

I'm still rocking an S4 too. When it's absolutely unusable, I'll get rid of it, but it works just fine for what I need and I have no reason to replace it right now.

I took an original Droid Razr on my honeymoon last month and was amazed to find it still takes fantastic photos.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Acid Reflux posted:

Slide-out phone, bitches!

:corsair:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kelp Me! posted:

I was in Scotland last month and I could have sworn they were already using polymer notes? They definitely seemed sturdier than American bills.

It's still pretty funny to me that different banks in the UK get to print their own variations of the GBP notes.

Only the £5 notes are polymer, we're still on paper for the rest.

Also technically the Scottish notes are not legal tender. The Bank of England has an agreement that it will honour them on presentation, but shops can and outside Scotland often will refuse them. Automated supermarket checkout lanes will accept them, though, as the software is universal.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

My S4 replaced an old LG flip phone whose model number I can't recall anymore. Even though a lot of my life revolves around technology, especially at work, I've never really become dependent on a mobile phone. I caved in on the S4 because it was a cheap refurb deal and the LG wouldn't hold a good charge anymore.

My cell phone is also prepaid, and I still have a landline (VOIP, but...) ...maybe I'm the obsolete thing here.

Hey, are you kids on my lawn again?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

That's why period accuracy will be so hard. Also I believe a lot of these old phones will be thrown away or recycled nearly out of existence in the next 50 years. It will be a classic case of "why should we keep this around, there are millions of ---------" until there suddenly aren't.
This is a major problem on film sets. I can't Google the article, but Halt and Catch Fire had to launch a nationwide search for a particular piece of computer hardware that featured in a plot. There are set designers who specialize in historical artifacts, but as you move into the era when technology has a few-year lifespan, very little of it survives. You can simulate mainframes easily enough by painting large cabinets blue or orange or whatever, but PCs and terminals are smaller-scale and have obvious details. Similarly, once telephone handsets stopped being owned by Ma Bell and started being individual user purchases, prices plummeted and handsets became throwaways. Finding a telephone in the '80s colors of teal, purple, and mauve is probably not easy nowadays.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

That's really interesting to think about - imagine yourself in a thrift store or second hand electronics shop and think: what's the oldest item in there? Is it in good condition? Does it match what you're looking for? Is it cheaper than having the props department cook it up?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Jedit posted:

Only the £5 notes are polymer, we're still on paper for the rest.

Also technically the Scottish notes are not legal tender. The Bank of England has an agreement that it will honour them on presentation, but shops can and outside Scotland often will refuse them. Automated supermarket checkout lanes will accept them, though, as the software is universal.

Wait, what? How are they not legal tender? Are they not backed by the HRM's government somehow or did Scotland just decide to print their own notes because, "gently caress the English?"

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Magnus Praeda posted:

Wait, what? How are they not legal tender? Are they not backed by the HRM's government somehow or did Scotland just decide to print their own notes because, "gently caress the English?"

In Scotland and Northern Ireland, no banknotes, not even those issued in those countries, are legal tender. They have a similar legal standing to cheques or debit cards, in that their acceptability as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved, although Scots law requires any reasonable offer for settlement of a debt to be accepted.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Kelp Me! posted:

I found the opposite in Europe, a good chunk of the ATMs I used only dispensed 20s if you specifically chose small bills, otherwise it was all 50s.

As mentioned earlier the polymer £5 note came in a few months ago, the old paper note is still legal tender until March I think. The polymer £10 note is supposed to launch not too long after that and the £20 note is suppsoed to happen before the end of the decade. We're also changing the design of the £1 coin next year as well, new one is two metal coin (like the £2 coin) with flattened edges (like the 20p).

A lot of changes to British currency over the next four or so years.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Jedit posted:

Shops can refuse them, but not because they're not legal tender. Legal tender has gently caress-all to do with shops, it's to do with settlement of debts. When it comes to straight buying things, Scottish money is the same as English money, and the shopkeeper can refuse either and insist on using shiny buttons and it's entirely legal.

I spent too long studying for a banking qualification in Scotland.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a major problem on film sets. I can't Google the article, but Halt and Catch Fire had to launch a nationwide search for a particular piece of computer hardware that featured in a plot. There are set designers who specialize in historical artifacts, but as you move into the era when technology has a few-year lifespan, very little of it survives. You can simulate mainframes easily enough by painting large cabinets blue or orange or whatever, but PCs and terminals are smaller-scale and have obvious details. Similarly, once telephone handsets stopped being owned by Ma Bell and started being individual user purchases, prices plummeted and handsets became throwaways. Finding a telephone in the '80s colors of teal, purple, and mauve is probably not easy nowadays.

I have to imagine 3D printing will solve all of those problems. Need a period accurate circa 2011 cell phone? Print it.

It doesn't have to have the right interface. Even now they get OS's mixed up on phones that are only 5 or 6 years old. So what if the most popular film of 2030 has the villain using a Droid with a Palm OS interface.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Veotax posted:

As mentioned earlier the polymer £5 note came in a few months ago, the old paper note is still legal tender until March I think.

Wait what? Your old currency is going to just... stop being currency? That is so weird. I could walk into a store now with a (if I had one) 1945 $5 bill and buy skittles with it if I wanted to.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Control your currency with this one weird trick India found.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Wait what? Your old currency is going to just... stop being currency? That is so weird. I could walk into a store now with a (if I had one) 1945 $5 bill and buy skittles with it if I wanted to.

And that's why central banks the world over keep Dollars and not Scottish Woolies or whatever they call them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Finally a chance to spend money like it's going out of style

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Boiled Water posted:

Control your currency with this one weird trick India found. Black marketers hate it!

ftfy

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Yup. Well, it stops being legal tender, but usually the banks will let you deposit them for a while longer.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

It actually makes a lot of sense:

Counterfeiting: what's the point of covering the latest issue of your $100 bill in holograms and making it uncopiable, if you can run off a pile of 1945 bills on your inkjet printer and use them undetected?

Corruption: You're a major drug dealer and you accumulate $100M of undeclared cash. If, after 10 years, you can't spend it on anything then it's going to be a bit tricky to walk into your local bank to exchange them without having to answer some very difficult questions.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I prefer "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private".

Ain't no time limit wrote on it. :colbert:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Even after shops stop taking the old paper notes you'll still be able to go into a bank and swap it for a new one. They updated the £50 a few years back (got slightly smaller, new anti-counterfeit measures, new design printed on the note) and when ever someone tried to spend the old one we just sent them to the bank (the customer, not the note).

Like spog mentioned, it pretty much kills every counterfeit note out there. Until they manage to make convincing fake plastic notes.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Just switch to Yap Island money with a bunch of holograms on it.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

It's not like we're the only place which does this. I had about £20 worth of Hong Kong dollars left over from a holiday trip in 1999 and they were in the "still accepted by banks but not currently in circulation" region.

In fact, is the US in the minority of places by not expiring old notes?

Re: 80s phones they were mostly pretty nasty colours here for the British Telecom rotary dual phones like chocolate brown, a pastel green often used for 70s hospital crockery, or beige.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This is a major problem on film sets. I can't Google the article, but Halt and Catch Fire had to launch a nationwide search for a particular piece of computer hardware that featured in a plot.
Stranger Things had the same issue with that big radio set they have in the science lab. It's stuff that's someone's grandfather had and put in a shed and forgot about.

well why not posted:

As an Australian, all paper currencies are obsolete in face of scaled, colour-coded, waterproof, tearproof polymer notes. In fact, in Aus I rarely use physical currency because we have paypass nearly everywhere and a $100 limit.
Notes and coins are getting pretty rare in my wallet. Here in Australia we even have cardless withdraw at ATMs. You get your bank app to setup how much you want to take out and it gives you a code to input and off you go.
If your phone has NFC and google pay then you can pretty much leave your wallet at home.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

legooolas posted:

In fact, is the US in the minority of places by not expiring old notes?

Pretty sure we are, yeah. For reasons that are I'm quite sure dumb as gently caress.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

ReidRansom posted:

Pretty sure we are, yeah. For reasons that are I'm quite sure dumb as gently caress.

Probably similar to the reasons you hold on to 1 cent coins and paper dollar bills. So yes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

WebDog posted:

Stranger Things had the same issue with that big radio set they have in the science lab. It's stuff that's someone's grandfather had and put in a shed and forgot about.

Notes and coins are getting pretty rare in my wallet. Here in Australia we even have cardless withdraw at ATMs. You get your bank app to setup how much you want to take out and it gives you a code to input and off you go.
If your phone has NFC and google pay then you can pretty much leave your wallet at home.

I always carry cash when traveling out of state because my credit cards like to suddenly get frozen after a few transactions until I make a call. Even if you let the company know ahead of time that you'll be traveling out of state, too many "suspicious transactions far from your home" will trip it.

Thankfully I avoided this last time I was in NYC. I just kept getting texts bugging me and asking if I really spent $27.88 at this store.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

So what if the most popular film of 2030 has the villain using a Droid with a Palm OS interface.

What's the 2030 version of angry tweets from nerds?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Computer viking posted:

Probably similar to the reasons you hold on to 1 cent coins and paper dollar bills. So yes.

Don't forget "chip and signature" because Americans can't remember another 4-digit pin number.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cacator posted:

pin number.

Troll spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

WebDog posted:

The only reason I use cash anymore is because of stupid EFTPOS minimums which suck the most in shops or cheap takeaways where people clearly aren't gonna buy $15-$20 worth of poo poo. :arghfist: