Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

DavidAlltheTime posted:

Can someone reverse that so I can use it to pray? Thanks and god bless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

A thing of beauty. :golfclap:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

It's a miracle!

DavidAlltheTime
Feb 14, 2008

All David...all the TIME!
Amen.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
"Electors, in an election this important it is crucial for our American democracy that you feel free to vote your conscience and not be bound by the voters in your state.

WAIT! NOT YOU GUYS!"

Seven faithless electors today, all changed their votes away from Clinton. In Washington Colin Powell got 3 votes and Faith Spotted Eagle got one.

http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/four-washington-electors-break-ranks-and-dont-vote-for-clinton/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Well, I mean, they're basically invalidating the votes of their electorate by doing so, but I do hope this forces a move to a straight popular vote system cause the electoral college is loving busted.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kurieg posted:

Well, I mean, they're basically invalidating the votes of their electorate by doing so, but I do hope this forces a move to a straight popular vote system cause the electoral college is loving busted.

A straight popular vote would be loving busted in different ways. Arrow's theorem, California would become even more important than it is under an electoral system, etc etc. But that's another thread.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kurieg posted:

you want proportional representation not a popular vote

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Jose posted:

How about logarithmic representation?

Biscuit Joiner
May 18, 2008
Beaten, but I'm posting it anyway

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Actually the electoral college system is specifically designed to protect the country from the situation where some used car salesman wins the popular vote by going up on stage and promising everyone a million dollars and a mansion and a pony

it's just been so perverted that now it does the exact opposite of that

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So the electoral college is fuckin' busted then? I can't really say this is schadenfreude for you guys though cause we're doing a brexit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The schadenfreude will be when everything is fine under Trump and then he gets reelected.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jose posted:

The electoral college tries that. In practice, it gives more votes to depopulated states like Wyoming than the math would actually give them because otherwise they'd get a fraction of a single vote, so conservative rural voters end up with disproportionate representation compared to urban areas.

Considering that there's only been 5 instances where the popular vote loser won the electoral vote in all of American history and two of those were 2 of the last 3 presidents, I think we can safely say that throwing out the electoral college won't exactly be a mistake.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Schadenfreude when the Electoral College is abolished.

“Ten people have more voting power than two people. Oh the humanity!”
:qqsay:

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Why don't you just not have elections? Clearly as a country you don't really deserve them.

I know this, because we don't deserve ours either.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

chitoryu12 posted:

The electoral college tries that. In practice, it gives more votes to depopulated states like Wyoming than the math would actually give them because otherwise they'd get a fraction of a single vote, so conservative rural voters end up with disproportionate representation compared to urban areas.

Considering that there's only been 5 instances where the popular vote loser won the electoral vote in all of American history and two of those were 2 of the last 3 presidents, I think we can safely say that throwing out the electoral college won't exactly be a mistake.

Yes, because disenfranchising the rural vote even more is totally the solution. Look, there were a lot of shitstorms this election; taking action based on rare situations just because you don't like how they turned out rarely goes well (and in actual practice it tends to make things worse, not better). Abolishing the EC isn't the answer unless you have an alternative that performs the intended function better.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

orange sky posted:

People will do anything to get high, jesus.
There was a post here in the last year or so about a guy that died from overdosing on Imodium and something else trying to get high. Dude was taking multiple entire boxes of the stuff at once.

One of the first replies to the post about it was "No poo poo?"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

orange sky posted:

People will do anything to get high, jesus.

Or drunk! There was a report just today from Siberia of at least 48 people dying and a bunch being hospitalized from drinking scented bath oil. The label said the bath oil contained 93% ethanol but it turns out it was methanol instead.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

This kills the Christ.

This also kills the Christ.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

What the gently caress is wrong with people. The guy inhaling gasoline needs to read the story of the guy who inhaled gas and duster when he was a teenager, and had never gotten high before, and ended up with brain damage and unable to run. I mean if you do that regularly you're lucky if you have ten years to live. :stare:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Or drunk! There was a report just today from Siberia of at least 48 people dying and a bunch being hospitalized from drinking scented bath oil. The label said the bath oil contained 93% ethanol but it turns out it was methanol instead.

I guess you don't need to use very much of it, but it doesn't seem like you should be putting methanol in your bath.

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Here's the huffing kid's trip report
(https://www.erowid.org/experiences/exp.php?ID=67325)

quote:

Hello, I'm a 19 year old male, this experience happened when I was 16 years old, I first got the ideas of inhaling substances from school from some goth kids saying they did in the cafeteria. Me and my friends weren't part of this group of people so I didn't talk to them, but I remember how much the idea of getting 'high' on these would be, I herd them talking about duster and I remember my mom having a can of century duster it was called, I figured this would do the job. Having herd about gas inhaling too I thought 'gently caress it might as well go all out' that thought will haunt me for the rest of my life.

It was the long weekend and I knew that one night I would have the house to myself like I usually did cause I was an only that was something that I liked. Anyways they finally left and I put my plan to work, I went to the garage and got my dads gas can, then I went and grabbed the duster from the cleaning cupboard. I went to my room naive with both the gas and duster and got ready for a good time. I turned on my tv and set the gas and duster on my tv tray. I sat on my bed and kind of started getting nervous, I passed it off though thinking that it wouldn't hurt me, besides, those other kids did it and seemed fine.

I first started with the duster thought I'd take a few hits and then go for the gas and few of that and be done. So after taking a few deep breaths in preparation I shook the duster can and fired the first hit. A warm feeling came over me and I really liked it, then I got a little light headed too, it actually made me really hyper, and stupid. I started taking hit after hit almost full lungfuls. I think I did like 8+ hits within 20 seconds, I was feeling a little more buzzed and my lungs were hurting so stopped with the duster, I then switched to the gas practically laughing just at what I was doing feeling rebelish and superior.

Soon after I switched to the gas I really felt the duster kicking in I started losing it, after 4ish hits of gas my lungs started burning pretty bad I was still to stupid to realise that this could be seriously bad for me. Shortly after though the pain started getting worse and I was almost totally out of it, still not really feeling major effects I think cause I did it all so fast and was trying to get that done. but then all of a sudden it hit me like a train, my mouth on the gas for like 3 seconds before I realised I was still on my hands and knees breathing it in, I knocked it away. spilling it all over my carpet.

I got up with my lungs feeling a little better I didn't even think about cleaning the gas. I knew 1 thing though that I was high for the first time and very high at that. I at first thought it was pretty cool and I was seeing specks of color here and there, then all of the sudden I kept seeing shadows move and things seemed to jump at me. This is when I started to panic, as my high started getting closer to the top my worst nightmares started coming true, I saw an image of death come out of the shadows. I screamed at the top of my lungs thinking that this was the end getting higher I was barely able to walk as I ran away stumbling I fell to the ground hitting my arm on the glass table destroying it and seriously cutting my arm.

By this point I was not on the planet any longer and as I got higher and higher the sickness also got worse, it didn't help that I was bleeding on everything without even the common sense to patch it up and go to the washroom. while I was lying there on the floor looking up I saw goblins and werewolves (sounds stupid I know) with my parents heads in there hands jumping at me and tearing my face off, my lungs got worse also by this point I could barely breath throwing up everywhere I tried to roll away and scream but I couldn't. I closed my eyes and just saw colors and fire which made me believe I was in hell, alternating between coughing puking and screaming I was honestly wishing for death. All this happened within 5 minutes of my first duster puff

Suddenly I don't know why but the puking stopped and was unable to scream, my lungs still felt like they had been ripped from my body but weren't bad as before. I kept my eyes closed and all I could hear was evil laughter and steve urkels voice saying 'Did I do that?' over and over in different tones, that's when I lost all bodily function, I seized up stiff as a board and pissed and poo poo myself. the thoughts are a blur after that and I passed out. I woke up 2 hours later, I was still out of it not able to keep my mind on one thing and still seeing colors, but I remembered that I inhaled, I passed out again 4 hours later I woke up again still hosed out of my mind feeling like death I looked over and saw the disaster I made with the outer part of my forearm cut almost to the bone lying in blood with more still slowly seeping out, this made me extremely light headed and I guess I rolled more than I thought because there was blood all over my basement floor.

I crawled to the bathroom where I managed to wrap a towel around my arm the act of going to the bathroom made my pain and sickness 100x worse. after collapsing to the bathroom floor and puking the last of my bile I passed out again, the next thing I heard was my mother screaming. My parents were home and my mom had found me in the bathroom at first they didn't know what happened my mom stayed in the bathroom while my dad called 911 and looked around. He went in my room and then pieced together what I did. The ambulance got there and I was taken to the hospital where I was monitored givin drugs and a i.v. The doctor told my parents I may have givin myself brain damage.

[Erowid Note: Unconfirmed Serious Injury Report. This report of a serious injury was submitted with no verifiable details, no contact information, and no way to confirm any element of it. Erowid is choosing to publish this report to invite public comment and to allow anyone who knows about this event to submit details which we can verify. Neither this report nor any report of a hospitalizationd should be considered reliable without details that can be verified through hospitals, police reports, family members, or news reports. If you have information about this incident or other experience resulting from the use of any psychoactive substance we cover, please contact sage at erowid.org.] 

After being in a chemically induced coma for 2 days I awoke and realized my strange surroundings, Only my mind was constantly wandering and I felt a major headache and couldn't think I could barely remember my name or my parents or friends. After 2 weeks I was let out of the hospital, with my parents aware of the damage I did to myself. All my mother could ask was 'Why?' My father has pretty well disowned me because I am not the same person I used to be, my brain is altered. It is 3 years later now I don't have friends because I can't socialize. I went from a normal healthy kid that was good in school with a high 80 average to a high school dropout who can't run 10 steps without having to stop for half a minute to catch my breath because I fuckt my brain and lungs up.

To this day I still have a pounding headache, and can't even walk straight this story alone took me over 3 days off and on to wright and without spelling check you probably wouldn't read it I know I am screwed for life all because of one dumb mistake. I can only warn others that its not worth it, and I wish I knew the dangers before I went and tried something stupid like that. My parents never left me home alone again. 

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There was a story I read a little while ago of some Russian or Ukrainian conscript troops who found some white powder on an abandoned military base in canisters. I can't remember if it was anthrax powder or something radioactive, but either way, the way they decided to deal with it was by checking to see if they would get high by smoking it, and then when they didn't, using it as foot powder.

I wish I could find the link because it's loving terrifying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://zippy.gfycat.com/MeaslyDefiniteFly.mp4

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Sovereign Citizen tries to fight a ticket for an unregistered car, guess the outcome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN-dU3QcPxA

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Edit: Nevermind, not going to continue the detail.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

That's a good way to gently caress up your icepack

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aerdan posted:

Yes, because disenfranchising the rural vote even more is totally the solution. Look, there were a lot of shitstorms this election; taking action based on rare situations just because you don't like how they turned out rarely goes well (and in actual practice it tends to make things worse, not better). Abolishing the EC isn't the answer unless you have an alternative that performs the intended function better.

So you think that removing the electoral college is "disenfranchising the rural vote", but the Electoral College avoids this by making rural voters disproportionately powerful. Do you have any solution that makes everyone truly equal?

I personally don't give a poo poo if it "disenfranchises" them, because the whole point is supposed to be that everyone's vote counts equally. The President himself gets to vote in elections, but his vote doesn't count extra. Why should someone be given extra power just because he lives in Bumfuck Nowhere?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Aerdan posted:

The intended function of the EC was to give slave states the power of their inflated populations without actually letting those pesky slaves vote. I'm ok throwing that intended function out. The winner of the presidential election should be the person who gets the most votes. Maybe we'll even get politicians to pretend to give a poo poo about cities, where most Americans live, every now and then.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The real question here is whether states should play any role in the presidential election.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Data Graham posted:

The real question here is whether states should play any role in the presidential election.

Yes.

If they don’t like the results, they should secede and fire on federal forts.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

zakharov posted:

The intended function of the EC was to give slave states the power of their inflated populations without actually letting those pesky slaves vote. I'm ok throwing that intended function out. The winner of the presidential election should be the person who gets the most votes. Maybe we'll even get politicians to pretend to give a poo poo about cities, where most Americans live, every now and then.

As it stands right now, as someone who lives in the urban area of a predominantly rural state, the only way to make my vote "count" the way I want it to is to move to a state the holds my values.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Kurieg posted:

As it stands right now, as someone who lives in the urban area of a predominantly rural state, the only way to make my vote "count" the way I want it to is to move to a state the holds my values.

I live in New York City and I'm effectively disenfranchised in the presidential election. It's great!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

zakharov posted:

The intended function of the EC was to give slave states the power of their inflated populations without actually letting those pesky slaves vote.

That's what the 3/5ths Compromise was for.

zakharov posted:

I'm ok throwing that intended function out. The winner of the presidential election should be the person who gets the most votes. Maybe we'll even get politicians to pretend to give a poo poo about cities, where most Americans live, every now and then.

Maybe don't support parties who kowtow to Wall Street at the expense of the rest of the country, then. This has nothing to do with the Electoral College.

chitoryu12 posted:

So you think that removing the electoral college is "disenfranchising the rural vote", but the Electoral College avoids this by making rural voters disproportionately powerful. Do you have any solution that makes everyone truly equal?

No. I asked if you had a solution, however, and since you responded with a question, I'm assuming that you don't either. Removing an imperfect system that exists to prevent half the country from running roughshod over the other half is kind of stupid if you don't have an alternative that performs that function better.

chitoryu12 posted:

I personally don't give a poo poo if it "disenfranchises" them, because the whole point is supposed to be that everyone's vote counts equally. The President himself gets to vote in elections, but his vote doesn't count extra. Why should someone be given extra power just because he lives in Bumfuck Nowhere?

Wow. Yeah. Let's completely ignore minority viewpoints just because the majority disagrees with them. That's totally not a major issue facing America or anything...

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone feels ignored when their candidate doesn't win. It happened with Obama and now trump and shall continue until the heat death of the universe.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Aerdan posted:

Wow. Yeah. Let's completely ignore minority viewpoints just because the majority disagrees with them. That's totally not a major issue facing America or anything...

The minority viewpoint of "i want it to be the 1950s again" should be ignored.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

bush made amends by writing me a 600$ check under the guise of economic stimulus. if trump can even match half of that ill be happy enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

The 3/5 compromise and the EC were closely related. Southern states get their representation inflated, get more electoral votes, ta-da! It's also tied into the longstanding (and stupid) American myth of rural people as Real Americans and city dwellers as the other.