Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AJ_Impy posted:

Electromagnetic Refraction with a contingency for advanced government.

240 Million or even more, but Postpone it. Take the high ground over Bulra, broadcast propaganda feeds of the systematic destruction of the entire rest of their empire whilst the bulk of their army lies fallow beneath our guns. They hosed with us. Generations from now, I want legends of why that's a bad idea passed down to every last stinking bear cub so they can regale each and every other species we encounter.

Blockade Bulra then destroy everything else they ever worked for beyond their home system.

Korga..

Cold desert world? Gobi.

Ease off. the back of the bear has been broken.

Tyrannus Prime, henceforth known as Rex

University first.

Military scouts - The first time the Bears attacked us, they murdered our unarmed scouts. Never again.

See, this is how you run a war that will be remembered forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

my dad posted:

Advanced government - Now is certainly the right time for the Republic to start implementing certain changes
240 million - There is no such thing as overkill when fighting Bulrathi
Blockade Bulra and press the advantage further. - The sooner we can contain the Bulrathi, the easier the conquest will be.
Kalov - The advantages of potentially speeding up the end of the war are more significant than the disadvantages resulting from Bulrathi ops on Korga.
New Jamaica - The only real option for Etana. :v:
Hybrid - Keep the industrial focus of the war economy, but redirect production towards colony ships instead.
Tyrannus followed by Marindi. Get that production and cash rolling in.
Spaceport - Since we're not going to be focusing on research for a bit longer, money is better.
Military scouts - I think we've learned the lesson about being unprepared for danger.

Proposal: Delay the ground assault on Bulra. The Bulrathi military on their homeworld is likely at its peak numbers and performance already, and having our frigate in orbit will be sufficiently disrupting to any sort of orbital military buildup. Let us instead conquer their other worlds before they get a chance to get a proper military force up and running. This may save tens of millions of both human and bulrathi lives. (Also, it would make the final assault on Bulra suitably climactic)

Sure.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Electromagnetic Refraction and then Adv Gov.

240 Million at least, but also:

my dad posted:

Proposal: Delay the ground assault on Bulra. The Bulrathi military on their homeworld is likely at its peak numbers and performance already, and having our frigate in orbit will be sufficiently disrupting to any sort of orbital military buildup. Let us instead conquer their other worlds before they get a chance to get a proper military force up and running. This may save tens of millions of both human and bulrathi lives. (Also, it would make the final assault on Bulra suitably climactic)

Blockade Bulra and raid.

Station IIA on Korga as a countermeasure.

Name Etana Thule.

Let's ease off war footing gently and start taking care of our pollution problems.

Prioritize colonization of Tyrannus Prime and name it Shen Kuo for a 9th century Song scholar who studied mining, prospecting, and mineralogy.

Put a space port on Earth. We're still at war and need to finance it, plus the income can help our home's recovery.

Militarize our scouts.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Advanced Government, because being more efficient is always better. And since the votes seem to be strongly favoring this one, I'll advance a secondary vote for Electromagnetic Refraction, even if it doesn't need it.

Launch the invasion of Bulra with 240 million troops.

Attack and blockade Bulra with all of Space Fleet. When we cut off the head of the empire, everything else will be easier.

Withdraw Team Golf to Korga. As best as we can tell, their military is impotent - but their covert actions have still proven to be strong and effective. Golf can be advanced after we've taken the capitol.

Ease off on the war economy.

Colonize Tarazad II (Arid/Mineral Ultra-Poor/Huge/Gold (+2 BC)/Usable Moon), it's a nice relatively quiet place and some people (or their children) could use a break like that.

Build an Astro University next on Earth.

Militarize the scouts. We've learned that it's dangerous to go alone.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
If ground combat in this game is anything like MoO2, you take far fewer casualties when you assault with overwhelming force. I don't believe there is any simulation of combat width, etc. that would prevent a larger force from bringing all it's firepower to bear at once. So a 'just enough' invasion force is likely to be completely used up in an attack, while a force twice as large will suffer less than half the casualties. If you are planning on multiple invasions over the course of a campaign, it's a good idea to start with far more troops than you need and only lose a couple between each conquest, rather than to have to rebuild a smaller army from scratch after each invasion.

If 200 million troops would be just enough to invade Bulra, I would suggest a force of at least 320 million, and expect that instead of 160-200 million casualties you would only have 80-120 million, leaving you with an army that could conquer another colony or 2.

If attacking the smaller colonies first is an option, then you could invade them with a smaller army, and reinforce your losses as you go.

It's kind of funny how this war has mirrored the pacific theater from WWII. We get almost annihilated in a sneak attack, build our forces back up, fight a pivotal battle that turns the tide, sink the largest enemy battleship & pride of their fleet, invade a colony halfway between our empires and take it in a Pyrrhic victory, and now we are debating whether to take small outlying colonies first, or deliver a knock out blow to the enemies' home system in a risky assault.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014
Wow, that space battle was kind of stupid. Do you happen to have a video of that one? I kind of want to see what happened first-hand.

Also, THE VOTE!

Electromagnetic Refraction and then Adv Gov. - Exploration is vital for expansion. The faster we expand, the more insulated our core worlds become, and the more secure and distributed our resouces will be. If we can't have that, though, advanced government would help us recover from the war-- besides, we'd need some governmental reforms to account for our latest conquests anyway.

Launch the attack with 240 million troops. - Numerical advantage will be useful.

Attack and blockade Bulra with the whole fleet. - I don't want a sudden pirate attack or unforseen Bulrathi fleet to show up and kill off all of our soldiers.

Korga

Cold desert planet? A place of sand and darkness? Scheherazade. Let us tell stories of the 1001 Arabian Nights.

Ease off. - We need to start recovering. The sooner we do, the better off we'll be.

Tyrannus Prime. - A hellish place bombarded by space-radiation but that's also home to a wealth of mysterious crystal, and will almost certainly be a place of great wealth. Call it Erebus, because that's about as close to the vaults of Hades we're likely to find.

Astro University - Let's call it Tezuka University. Why? Because Astro. Also because I am a massive nerd.

Military Scouts

Stormgear fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 19, 2016

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Stormgear posted:

Wow, that space battle was kind of stupid. Do you happen to have a video of that one? I kind of want to see what happened first-hand.

Unfortunately not. I just grab screen captures as I play, then organise them for publication and upload them afterward.

Nevets posted:

It's kind of funny how this war has mirrored the pacific theater from WWII. We get almost annihilated in a sneak attack, build our forces back up, fight a pivotal battle that turns the tide, sink the largest enemy battleship & pride of their fleet, invade a colony halfway between our empires and take it in a Pyrrhic victory, and now we are debating whether to take small outlying colonies first, or deliver a knock out blow to the enemies' home system in a risky assault.

Not planned, but indeed really rather amusing. Also like the Pacific Theater in World War 2, after the sneak attack, it's fueled a terrible anger in the republic thus attacked.

E: I think I'll go with Gobi for Etana Prime and Erebus for Tyrannus Prime. I'll tally other votes now.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Dec 20, 2016

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011
We seem to be pretty unlikely to end this war with the method that war ended, at least.

(cue some sort of Space Hitler arriving with a force powerful enough for us to take desperate measures to end the war with the Empire quickly...)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
OK, starting to play through the update. Advanced Government, defensive spying, and Astro University won the more controversial votes.

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007
With the conquest of Ellq, the old space routes have once again opened. Some politicians have proposed that Bulrathi and Human populations be allowed to move freely between and among the colonies, while other more radical voices have called for the forced resettlement of Humans on Ellq and Bulrathi on Earth and Paradise in the interests of promoting assimilation and diversity.

Of course, given the calls for a full extermination of the Bulrathi, not all humans are particularly happy about this.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
Fun fact! Humans evolved from a species that used small items in their environment as improvised missile weapons. As a result every member of the species retains at least a basic ability to hurl arbitrary objects at relatively small targets.

FAKE EDIT: Huh, that image embed didn't work because it's a video. Welp.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Ive started playing again thanks to this.

Aquatic races are hard mode.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I'll note that 'forced resettlement' per se isn't really a thing consistent with the Republic's laws and traditions. (Building Civil Transports isn't necessarily forced resettlement, but I'll not build Civil Transports to speed development of particularly crappy colonies or deliberately shuffle population mixes. New waves of settlement to particularly appealing colonies is a different thing.)

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Incidentally, Tax Refund, feel free to expand on the IIA operations that led to the unrest and work stoppages in the Empire.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I probably won't have any updates until after the holidays. That said, I'll take questions and suggestions for bits of lore fiction.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Well, with all the talk earlier about Bulrathi restaurants as a metaphor for cultural acceptance, I'd like to maybe see a Human's reaction to Bulrathi cuisine on Korga.

Either that or a M*A*S*H send-up.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh God, I just realized something- if we're looking at the Bulrathi via the lens of WW2 Japan, then... Bulrathi anime. I for one would find anime very much improved if one replaces the doe-eyed preteens with 6-foot tall bear hulks. I know I'd pay through the nose for a Girls und Panzer Strongest Bear Edition™ at least.

Also, people who are a little too into Bulrathi should be called weeabuls. This is non-negotiable.

Stormgear
Feb 12, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Oh God, I just realized something- if we're looking at the Bulrathi via the lens of WW2 Japan, then... Bulrathi anime. I for one would find anime very much improved if one replaces the doe-eyed preteens with 6-foot tall bear hulks. I know I'd pay through the nose for a Girls und Panzer Strongest Bear Edition™ at least.

Also, people who are a little too into Bulrathi should be called weeabuls. This is non-negotiable.

Excuse me.

Weeabears.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
All right, I think I'm mostly through being distracted by holidays, a sleep schedule in shambles, rereading the Lord of the Rings, and messing around with Stars in Shadow. Expect new progress on this and/or my other LP within the next few days.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Anyone got anything about Stars in Shadow, by the way? Worth looking at in EA? The art and interface looks pretty dope, but the gameplay looks kinda like it's just more MoO.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

The Deleter posted:

Anyone got anything about Stars in Shadow, by the way? Worth looking at in EA? The art and interface looks pretty dope, but the gameplay looks kinda like it's just more MoO.

I've been enjoying Stars in Shadow myself. The gameplay is, admittedly, rather MoOish, but it's solidly-constructed, has heavy emphasis on lore development, has interesting asymmetries between the starting positions of different factions, has well-integrated and logical reasons for the splinter colonies and pirates scattered across the map as of game start, and has a rather wide variety of minor species. Plus somewhat varying environmental tolerances such that it's actively beneficial to mix alien populations on worlds- the most common example of this is, for instance, resettling both air-breathers and water-breathers onto a garden world to greatly increase its population capacity. If you have questions, feel free to ask them of me; I could go on.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Okay, here goes.

1) How diverse are the factions? What kind of playstyles do they encourage? Any standouts? I like being a huge piece of poo poo and making tons of money to bribe people and dick over others - who's best at that?

2) How does the UI layout work in practice? Is it clean or cumbersome?

3) How does the combat work in practice? I've always been a skeptic of tactical combat in 4X games, as it's essentially designing two games at once. I see it's turn-based like old MoO - any initial thoughts on it?

4) What's colony management like? Anything new? Any automation options?

Thanks for taking the time to answer. I wonder if there's a thread for it here yet, or if that falls under the Steam/Early Access stuff.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
1) There are seven different playable factions, four 'elder' and three 'younger' factions, split between six primary species, and each has different spaceframes available to them. By default, each unit of population produces 2 industry, 1 credit, 0.5 science, and 0.5 food (but only produces food on 'high' fertility planets, thus halving the extra food production needed on fertile worlds).

The Ashdar Imperials have a wide variety of well-balanced spaceframes, start with a somewhat larger population on their homeworld than most (6 Haduir Ashdar, who earn 1.5 credit per turn, and 2 Teros Ashdar, who produce 3 industry per turn), and have a homeworld that's a ruined megacity. As such, although most factions start with 1 mine, 1 factory, and 1 farm on their homeworld, they start with 2 farms instead of 1 to prevent famine (because megacities are low fertility). Their homeworld also retains enough preserved artifacts to improve the productivity of any labs built there. Around their homeworld, they have an ancient stargate leftover from the glory days of the Ashdar Empire, which allows them to send ships from their home system to a destination instantly. They will tend to get along well with...

... the Ashdar Colonials, who are a leftover group of Teros Ashdar ruled by a Praetor elected by their Senate on a garden world that once served as an important fleet base for the Ashdar Empire. As with most species, their have 6 population units (Teros only) on their homeworld. They have similar spaceframes to the Imperials, but have a special affinity for carrier warfare, and have a number of effective carrier designs unique to themselves. The Ashdar Colonials are probably the most 'vanilla' group, and are a good choice for first-time players. Both the Ashdar subgroups have ancient grudges against...

... the sinister Gremak Empire, native to the swampy planet of Gremal. The Gremak are an amphibious species, not adapted quite as well to land or water as other species, but nonetheless will have the highest population caps with no other species present on Garden and Paradise worlds because they do reasonably well both on the surface and aquatic biomes present on the 'good' planets. The Gremak have four units of Gremak and two units of Enfi slaves- the Enfi are a mammaloid species that also evolved on Gremal inhabiting drier uplands. Slaves can be forced to work even when unhappy, but produce no cash or science, and the Gremak can expend slaves in forced labor or scientific experiments for rapid building or research. The Gremak Empire also retains ancient stealth technology for its ships, powerful short-ranged energy torpedoes built onto their spaceframes, and are capable of launching slave raids to capture slaves directly off enemy planets. They ALSO will tend to get along well with leftover Gremak Marauder enclaves scattered around the map, and can buy slaves from them or convince them to voluntarily join the Empire. Both the Gremak and the Ashdar mistrust the remnants of...

... Humanity, which has long since lost any knowledge of its original homeworld, having lost *even harder* in the Great War a thousand years ago than the other two sides. What remains of Humanity is mostly tiny scattered refugee colonies or bands of ruthless pirates blocking off star systems, but the playable faction of Humanity is a particularly large fleet of refugees, starting with two colony ships, four transports, a scout, and a heavy cruiser with advanced weapons, by comparison with everybody else's one scout, one colony ship, and one transport, carrying all six of their population units on ships. They have to explore from the Fargone system where they have a fuel deport around a gas giant, set up new settlement, and desperately try and strengthen their position. At least they're better-equipped to fight Human pirates early on than everybody else. They have poor starting infrastructure, but have developed the first improvements in agricultural technology (letting them set up farms effective enough toand the ability to refit vessels even without construction stations over a planet they have colonised. They also tend to be particularly good at capturing and refitting technology from other groups. While the Ashdar, Gremak, and Humans are leftovers from the Great War, three other species have reached spacefaring technology in the meantime...

... such as the Phidi, whose Phidi Combine is a light-handed mercantile government on the beautiful ocean world of Tendao. The Phidi are a shallow-water species native to reefs and coastal waters, who produce 2 credits per population unit. Tendao starts with a market producing credits and improving population morale on top of the farm, factory, and mine normal on starting worlds, and also has deposits of precious opil crystal that improve the profits of markets on Tendao. Unfortunately, Tendao also has poor mineral deposits, making its mining output poo poo, so it desperately needs offworld mining to produce the metal needed to fuel ship production. Their home system has a tiny, mineral-rich frozen world that's not good for much BUT a mining colony, and so the first Phidi colony tends to be less exciting than most factions. The Phidi have a relatively limited selection of spaceframes (although they have some specialised trade ships that are a little more cost-effective than most transports), but they have improved trade capacity relative to everybody else and are capable of hiring mercenary ships from races they have trade agreements with, which lets them leverage their wealth for military strength. They tend to make good relations with everybody and are adept at diplomacy, unlike...

... the Orthin Conference, the isolationist technocratic government of the deep-sea Orthin. Orthin live on an 'iceball' world with a frozen crust under a thermal vents ecosystem- everybody else finds iceballs extremely hostile, but the Orthin love them. They'll also inhabit the deep vents of other worlds with oceans, giving them a different niche than the Phidi, Gremak, and other minor aquatic races, all of whom prefer the upper waters. Orthin produce 1 science per turn, and have a special affinity for high energy physics. Their spaceframes have access to tremendous and terrifying artillery mounts mounting beam cannons nobody else can replicate. Finally, there is...

... the Yoral Khaganate, the government uniting the Yoral species which was forced underground to survive a terrible ice age which hit their homeworld (once a garden world, now a glacier world) of Verrold. The Yoral are compact, practical, and industrious tunnelers who are able to make better use of hostile environments than every other race, fitting larger populations on worlds almost everybody else would find nearly useless. Glaciers, especially, they make good use of, treating them as high-fertility due to their techniques of subterranean mold farming, as well as producing 3 industry per population. The Yoral have sturdy, straightforward spaceframes and some special kinetic weapons technologies, and their 'heavy destroyers' are incredibly powerful for their size and cost.

2) The UI is clean and usable. There can be a lot of notifications at the beginning of a turn, but that's a minor detail.

3) The tactical combat is decent and enjoyable. It can get a little cumbersome with massive fleets in late game, but such is life.

4) Colony management and economics is based around the inherent productivity of your colonists supplemented by improvements. The maximum population of a colony determines how many improvements can be built on it, and each improvement requires a certain minimum population for full output (although diversified economies can let population units double up for staffing requirements for different improvement types). Factories produce industry, and require four population units per factory for full productivity. Markets produce credits, population morale, and (with later technology) added trade capacity, and likewise need four population units for staffing. Labs produce science and need three population units per. Farms produce food (both on high and low fertility worlds, although farms on high-fertility planets are a bit more productive), and require two population units per. (As a side note, population growth is based only on existing population size, crowding, and the hostility of the environment, rather than food production, although the 'City Planning' activity that boosts growth rate costs some extra food.) Mines, finally, produce metal, based on the abundance of industrial metals on the planet- metal is expended by producing ships and armies along with the industry cost of building them. Mines take one population unit for staffing per. As soon as you have more than one colony, you start getting space for internal trade routes, and can produce income by having transports in your trade pool above the amount needed to ship food between planets as needed. Making trade agreements with other factions gives you a fraction of their own trade routes as added trade capacity, which your freighters serve first- since foreign trade routes are, I believe... 3 times as profitable, if I remember correctly. Splinter colonies of Ashdar and Humans might peacefully join your empire, if you're the Gremak Empire you might peacefully annex full colonies of Marauders and their slaves, and there are various minor races which can be found that have their own strengths and weaknesses when you colonise their planets. (You can likewise conquer splinter colonies and Marauders, if the splinter colonies are less congenial to you.) Every planet type is considered to consist of multiple different biome types of different sizes, which influence how many people of what species can live there, and rewarding mixed-species colonies. For instance, Garden worlds (such as Earth) have Forest (i.e., fertile land area), Reef, Ocean, and Vents biomes, with Vents being the smallest biome. This means the greatest population possible on a Garden world can be achieved by mixing air-breathers who make best use of the Forest, shallow-water species who make good use of Reef (and reasonably good use of Ocean), and Orthin (the only Vents-dwellers) who make good use of Vents (and reasonably good use of Ocean). With fertility rules, industrial metals richness, the presence of minor species, and the presence of certain special resources that give bonuses to different improvement types, you'll frequently have planets that end up specialised in rather different ways- I tend to have a few industrial worlds that do my shipbuilding, some fertile worlds focused on agriculture (as well as occasional one or two farms scattered on many fertile worlds to supplement), metals-rich worlds or worlds with large precious metals deposits heavily specialised in mining, with some supplemental mining elsewhere, and a lot of more generic developed worlds primarily focused on markets and labs to feed into my overall income and research rate. There are more different 'activities' than the usual Trade Goods and Housing for when there's no construction project- Trade doubles income, Research doubles research, City Planning costs food but increases growth rate, Mining increases metal output, and technology eventually allows Synthesise Food which lets you convert industry to food.

Does that help? Any further questions?

E: Oh, I almost forgot- as far as faction variety goes, the Phidi Combine is unique in not starting with any ship weapons or military doctrine researched, which means they're a little delayed in being able to field armed ships or ground forces...

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 29, 2016

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Those sound cool. Nice to see that the colony management is more in-depth than usual and has some cool quirks to it, and that planets are more than single biomes. I'll check it out for sure.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That actually sounds really cool. The art style was a bit off-putting just from looking at their Steam page, but it sounds very mechanically interesting so I'm sure I can suffer through the comic book tone long enough for it to grow on me. I love the idea of genius vent-dwelling Eurpoans.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh, what's the ship design like? It's certainly not a dealbreaker if it's simple, but I love systems that let me tinker about for hours and theorycraft my heart out, just to watch it all turn into slowly expanding field of debris because I missed something blindingly obvious.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Crazycryodude posted:

It's certainly not a dealbreaker if it's simple, but I love systems that let me tinker about for hours and theorycraft my heart out, just to watch it all turn into slowly expanding field of debris because I missed something blindingly obvious.

Not a strategy game (indie top-down view space shooter), but Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages has an insane amount of spaceship customization, and the options themselves are just as crazy. There's a weapon that packs an enemy into a pocket dimension and releases them 3 seconds later in front of you, weapons that inflate the enemy to make them easier to hit, gigantic impenetranble bank vaults tied to your ship that you can use as space flails, you can slow down time, you can set up fields of turrets, you can combo skills that let you survive should-be-lethal hits in a way that makes the Pkunk jealous, and a lot of other crazy poo poo.

Mind you, it's not just piling on crazy abilities. You have to manage a limited (but large) number of slot for the ship's separate systems, based on hull type, you have to think of mass (less = more speed, but less inertia, which is bad if the enemy has a tractor beam and a giant drill or just likes tossing people into asteroids), you have to manage heat levels and cooling, you need to consider energy requirements (is my build bursty and I want more focus on capacity, or am I facing constant drain and want to boost my reactor), you need to consider how different parts of the build work together and how they can be countered, etc. For example, an interesting gimmick that can be done is completely neglecting all standard forms of hull and shield repair/regeneration in favor of adding up abilities that heal you when you attack/teleport/get hit/etc

It was really fun spending an afternoon tinkering with my build to get a stealth ship that can creep in, unleash an insane amount of firepower that almost but not quite drains and overheats my ship, and then get the hell out of dodge and recloak as soon as possible. You mostly find out you did something wrong by exploding. :v:

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Crazycryodude posted:

Oh, what's the ship design like? It's certainly not a dealbreaker if it's simple, but I love systems that let me tinker about for hours and theorycraft my heart out, just to watch it all turn into slowly expanding field of debris because I missed something blindingly obvious.

Each spaceframe has a base cost and hull rating, and has a number of different hardpoints of different types- Light weapon hardpoints, Medium weapon hardpoints, Heavy weapon hardpoints, Turrets (which can fit up to medium weapons with a far wider firing arc than standard Medium mounts), System hardpoints, Armor hardpoints, Cargo hardpoints, Built-In hardpoints (which can't be changed), or Station hardpoints. Most items that can be mounted require a certain amount of power, which can be provided by a reactor in a System hardpoint. As technology progresses, modifications to weapons also become available, which increase their cost and power consumption, but can improve their performance. Smaller weapons can be fit into hardpoints one size larger, doubling the number of guns on a single point. For example, the Phidi destroyer has a base hull of 30, a base cost of 50 production and 49 metal, and has a light weapons hardpoint, a turret weapons hardpoint, two system hardpoints, an armor hardpoint, and a built-in maneuvering engine (which comes standard on every ship design that isn't an orbital station). A fairly typical early-midgame destroyer design that I will rely on through a sizeable fraction of the game mounts a point defense coilgun modified for greater accuracy and longer range (kinetic weapons have crap maximum range by default, but the Superconductors technology lets you apply the Long Range mod to them), a standard coilgun likewise modified in the turret mount, reinforced bulkheads to improve the armor in one system slot, a fusion reactor in the second slot, and duranium armor (which is the next tier up from starting titanium armor) giving it a total of 64 armor after the reinforced bulkheads are factored in. Not all destroyers are created equal- each playable faction has differences in how its destroyers are configured with durability and hardpoints. (Well, the Ashdar Colonials and Imperials have identical destroyers, but otherwise.) Likewise, early weapons can be lasers, coilguns, or nuclear missiles. Modified coilguns are fairly strong early on, but kinetics take a while to really get new weapons (although heavy railguns on your cruisers are beautiful things).

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yo Nwes, I'd like to request some lore regarding the integration of the human/Bulra populations. What's it like? Are there Bulras adopting human cuisine or dress? Humans growing long and luscious beards to fit in? Are there entertainment companies that try to make TV shows that appeal to both species? Do the bulrass like videogames? Hell, by now it's been a few years of occupation, and considering human...proclivities [Humans will gently caress anything and DON'T you tell me otherwise, there is too much weird porn on the internet to say otherwise], there must be some kind of "Arrangements" around, what do they have to deal with?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Siegkrow posted:

Yo Nwes, I'd like to request some lore regarding the integration of the human/Bulra populations. What's it like? Are there Bulras adopting human cuisine or dress? Humans growing long and luscious beards to fit in? Are there entertainment companies that try to make TV shows that appeal to both species? Do the bulrass like videogames? Hell, by now it's been a few years of occupation, and considering human...proclivities [Humans will gently caress anything and DON'T you tell me otherwise, there is too much weird porn on the internet to say otherwise], there must be some kind of "Arrangements" around, what do they have to deal with?

While it is neither here or there vis a vis Nweiss's universe, Larry Niven's Ringworld series featured a setting where many human-like species did copulate with one another, but a truly alien, in this case cat-based rather than bear-based, species was simply stated as unable to function in that respect with human-like physiology.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Rappaport posted:

While it is neither here or there vis a vis Nweiss's universe, Larry Niven's Ringworld series featured a setting where many human-like species did copulate with one another, but a truly alien, in this case cat-based rather than bear-based, species was simply stated as unable to function in that respect with human-like physiology.

This makes me glad I never got around to reading anything after the first one.

Are there any SF/F authors that aren't weird as hell about sex?

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This makes me glad I never got around to reading anything after the first one.

Are there any SF/F authors that aren't weird as hell about sex?

The short answer is no.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah that's asking a bit too much of the massive nerds that tend to write and/or consume sci-fi (myself included, probably).

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

The Deleter posted:

The short answer is no.

Oh hardly. Sci-Fi authors do typically write about imaginative unconventional concepts and worlds. You're right in that it does often manifest in odd proclivities, but it's hardly universal.

On last count I had over 300 science fiction titles on my shelves, probably more now, and maybe twenty five might have something of the like in them. It really depends where your standards and preferences are.
I will say that it does tend to congregate in a few authors but I've hardly read much, just more than most. Sci-Fi is a huge genre.

If you're particularly squeamish, I'd avoid all of Richard K. Morgan, about half of Charles Stross, most of Heinlein (especially his early stuff E: Actually it's kinda all over), Peter F Hamilton, Joe Haldeman, possibly others but only they come to mind.
This is no reflection of the quality of their works at all; Morgan in particular is excellent but his works have been most certainly described as gratuitous, Stross is an unabashed internet nerd and some of his work reflects that. Heinlein, gets recommendations from everyone but some of his is decidedly odd.

E:

nweismuller posted:

Let's be fair, how much evidence of my being really weird like that has there been? (I mean, assuming I qualify as a 'SF author' by people's standards.)

None whatsoever.

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 2, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Let's be fair, how much evidence of my being really weird like that has there been? (I mean, assuming I qualify as a 'SF author' by people's standards.)

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Ok, fine, we'll all pretend that you don't have an entire folder of lovingly written and illustrated Bulrathi slash fic. Just know that you can lie to us, but you can't lie to yourself.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I've started this game up again thanks to this LP. What tips do people have for ship design? I'm just kind of following the LP designs, and getting mad that the game wants me to upgrade to mass drivers before I have the space to field them properly.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't have much, but what I do have is to specialize individual ships in either Guns or Missiles. There's techs that make Guns better but do jack for Missiles and vice-versa, so pick one and go all in. Which is not to say that your fleet should consist entirely of one or the other, but a ship should specialize. I typically have ships that pack nothing but guns, ones that pack nothing but missiles, and one or two that's just bombs. Early wars of conquest are slow and expensive due to how troop ships work though, so bomb-bearers are mostly for knocking out pirates. Use point defense weapons to fill in any leftover space.

Also never have a ship armed with just torpedoes, give it at least one gun or missile.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok, fine, we'll all pretend that you don't have an entire folder of lovingly written and illustrated Bulrathi slash fic. Just know that you can lie to us, but you can't lie to yourself.

They're called bears for a reason.

Happy near years, thread! Let's liberate the whole galaxy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Oh god, what if Bulrathi decided to have... humansonas in the near future... :iit:

• Locked thread