Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Smartphones wouldn't exist without the DS. We'd have strange flip phones and blackberries.

:confused:

Palm got scooped by other players, mostly.

Decus posted:

I don't even think it'll be rear end compared to anybody's phone in terms of real world performance. Phone specs are not even close to what they are actually able to maintain due to thermal throttling.

And tiny frames. Even classical handhelds can heat up, and every iteration of 3DS does (albeit only to comfortable levels).

Well, that and... I don't know how iOS does it but on Android they're usually buried multiple virtual machines deep with the occasional direct hook.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I hope nintendo throttles the gently caress out of switches power so its a practical handheld and not something that feels like a fish out of water gasping for battery power and cooling everytime you undock. I'm excited to play next gen 3ds games and i'm glad they arent catering to idiots who want a mythical all in one game platform.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Real hurthling! posted:

I hope nintendo throttles the gently caress out of switches power so its a practical handheld and not something that feels like a fish out of water gasping for battery power and cooling everytime you undock. I'm excited to play next gen 3ds games and i'm glad they arent catering to idiots who want a mythical all in one game platform.

wow what a surprise the console troll hopes the nintendo switch is a piece of poo poo that no one will buy

grow up

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

greatn posted:

Unlike the 3ds it can use the same basic art assets, engines, textures, etc. The majority of games developed these days are not these huge super processing intensive monsters. There are for example just a ton of relatively modest JRPgs out there that are currently on Vita/PS4 that are almost certainly going to jump over to Switch. Anyone developing an indie game it is going to be a lot easier to port over to Switch. Anyone making a mobile game it is going to be a lot easier to port over to Switch.

Unless they go pants-on-head retarded and make something unnecessarily complex to code for with the Tegra hardware, I definitely agree we'll probably see the Vita/Budget PS4 developers jump ship to the Switch.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Is.....is the vita gonna survive the Switch? : - (

Vita means life

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Bass Bottles posted:

Vita means life

ahahahaha gently caress no vita's meant death for a while

I'm still trying to figure out what legs it has left, although for me it did have a bit of a second wind because dear god the PS3 is unbearable in 2016, but only a few games-worth-playing haven't been ported to the PS4 or PC yet.

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Bass Bottles posted:

Vita means life

vita tv 2

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HyperPuma posted:

so the nintendo switch is the new home of japanese dating sims and early access survival games?

well now you sold me on it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

dont be mean to me posted:

ahahahaha gently caress no vita's meant death for a while

I'm still trying to figure out what legs it has left, although for me it did have a bit of a second wind because dear god the PS3 is unbearable in 2016, but only a few games-worth-playing haven't been ported to the PS4 or PC yet.

It's gasping along on budget titles and a spattering of PS3/PS4 multiplatform releases, but it's effectively dead and buried. Sony isn't even making new Vita consoles and hasn't been for months now.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Goodbody posted:

Third party devs are already returning to Nintendo

You see that anemic lineup for the Wii U? That's after third parties got burned by the Wii and somewhat by the Gamecube. That is third parties showing a severe lack of faith in the Wii U. So why would there be so many more companies signed up for the Switch after mild disaster of the Wii U? Because they think they will be able to make and sell games for the Switch.
Most of the "new" ones were already here for 3DS games or even Wii U games, eShop or otherwise. The fact is Nintendo already has plenty of third party support. I'm skeptical of there being any sort of new groundswell of interest. That's what I was getting at with my lovely comparison. For a lot of these companies it will probably be something more like "well, our next Nintendo game might as well be on the Switch this time."

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

CrashCat posted:

Most of the "new" ones were already here for 3DS games or even Wii U games, eShop or otherwise. The fact is Nintendo already has plenty of third party support. I'm skeptical of there being any sort of new groundswell of interest. That's what I was getting at with my lovely comparison. For a lot of these companies it will probably be something more like "well, our next Nintendo game might as well be on the Switch this time."

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Third party support doesn't count if the company has made games for a Nintendo system before? You do understand that both of those pictures are from before the systems launched, right? Significantly more companies agreed to make Switch games before the launch of the Switch than agreed to make Wii U games before the launch of the Wii U. How does that not show increased faith in the Switch compared to the Wii U?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't understand what you're trying to say. Third party support doesn't count if the company has made games for a Nintendo system before? You do understand that both of those pictures are from before the systems launched, right? Significantly more companies agreed to make Switch games before the launch of the Switch than agreed to make Wii U games before the launch of the Wii U. How does that not show increased faith in the Switch compared to the Wii U?

he's saying that many of them made 3ds games and now will make switch games and that this isn't as many new developers coming to nintendo as it seems, just nintendo holding up longtime handheld partners as console partners now that their handheld is their console

i dont know how true this is but that's what he is saying via my powers of reading comprehension

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Why does that matter? Does it mean more games are released on the switch? If so, who gives a poo poo if they also made 3DS games.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Goodbody posted:

How does that not show increased faith in the Switch compared to the Wii U?
That is correct, but I really don't care that it shows increased interest in the Switch launch compared to the Wii U because I don't believe they will stick with it. And it's not increased interest in Nintendo so I don't think it's much help. I feel like it's misleading to show that big looking graphic full of company logos and imply some sort of Nintendo renaissance, but that's just my opinion. It probably doesn't help that the bottom two rows of the graphic are all engines and middleware etc., that's what got me suspicious to begin with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its significant in the respect that ue4 was not supported by wii u so having all the engines run on switch is reassuring. otherwise i agree that nintendo is blowing smoke a bit about how things are changing when all i really see is 3ds and wii u fusing to survive

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
If the Switch just gets 3ds like support I'd be fine with it.

Nintendo Unifying it's handheld and console teams is what I am most excited about.

I don't give a poo poo about third parties(outside of like Capcom for MonHun, and other frequent Nintendo Collabs devs)

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

CrashCat posted:

That is correct, but I really don't care that it shows increased interest in the Switch launch compared to the Wii U because I don't believe they will stick with it. And it's not increased interest in Nintendo so I don't think it's much help. I feel like it's misleading to show that big looking graphic full of company logos and imply some sort of Nintendo renaissance, but that's just my opinion. It probably doesn't help that the bottom two rows of the graphic are all engines and middleware etc., that's what got me suspicious to begin with.

It's a Games thread about a new Nintendo console, that's why some people are dickwaving about apparently having third party support for their favorite game company after basically spending the last 4 years circlejerking about not needing those lovely third parties anyway. The end.

The Switch is probably going see third party games get outsold by Nintendo games to a hilarious degree at launch anyway. If the system is going to retain any significant amount of that support, it has to sell well. That's the long and short of it, and it's pretty much all on Nintendo to market the thing well and drive sales on it with games people outside of the die-hards will want to play.

That's what kinda concerns me. People keep touting the strength of Nintendo's brands, but honestly outside of old folks like me, I just ain't seeing it. The Wii U had some staggeringly brilliant games come to it and it sold like crap anyway. Seriously, one of the best Super Mario games in a long time with 3D World. Crazy stuff like Bayo 1 and 2 coming to the system together. Wonderful 101. Mario Kart 8. A Good Smash Bros. Xenoblade Chronicles X, for some people I guess. Hashtag FE. HD Windwaker and Hyrule Warriors. The system just has a lot of games that are great and in many cases can only be played on the Wii U. Didn't matter, system was a sales dumpster fire. And that's sad, because it'd be really rad if more people got to play stuff like Bayo 2 or Mario Kart 8.

You can only blame the launch marketing for so long. The system was just flat out unappealing to most folks. One of the best exclusive line-ups in the industry (arguably the best), some of the best known Nintendo properties putting out some of their best work, along with some stuff that was weird and unique to the Wii U alone, all coupled with endlessly positive word of mouth by fans did nothing to change that.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

You can only blame the launch marketing for so long. The system was just flat out unappealing to most folks. One of the best exclusive line-ups in the industry (arguably the best), some of the best known Nintendo properties putting out some of their best work, along with some stuff that was weird and unique to the Wii U alone, all coupled with endlessly positive word of mouth by fans did nothing to change that.

Yes, but the Wii U's two big years, 2014 and 2015, came too late. By then the PS4 and XBox One had their momentum and Nintendo had been written off by all but the faithful. I really doubt Nintendo is looking to let that happen again, and has one of the most anticipated titles in video game history in the launch window of the Switch. The tea leaves we have to go on from the last console are worthless.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jonas Albrecht posted:

one of the most anticipated titles in video game history in the launch window of the Switch

I didn't know Xenoblade Chronicles X3 GNOSTICISM UP IN THIS poo poo: A Good Game With A Good Soundtrack, was confirmed launch window holy poo poo

Kidding aside, does Zelda actually mean that much to anyone outside of Nintendo fans anymore? People have been hyping up the next console zelda every time since OoT. I'm excited for BotW too, but drat.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

fivegears4reverse posted:

I didn't know Xenoblade Chronicles X3 GNOSTICISM UP IN THIS poo poo: A Good Game With A Good Soundtrack, was confirmed launch window holy poo poo

Kidding aside, does Zelda actually mean that much to anyone outside of Nintendo fans anymore? People have been hyping up the next console zelda every time since OoT. I'm excited for BotW too, but drat.

If the E3 reaction to Breath of the Wild is anything to go by, then yes, the video game community at large cares very much about the next Zelda title. poo poo, PC Gamer did an article on it.

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
The problem with the wii u's lineup wasn't a lack of good games - it was a lack of variety. Almost all of the best games for wii u were platformers and/or local-multiplayer-focused games. These are two genres that Nintendo does extremely well, but they aren't enough to sustain a console. I like story-driven singleplayer stuff, and pikmin was the closest i got for a looong time - wii u will be the only nintendo system in history not to have an exclusive zelda game, and the one it's getting is basically being released as an afterthought, months after the thing ends production.

There were definitely exceptions to this, like Splatoon and #FE, but they both came too late to make an impact on hardware sales.

youcallthatatwist fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 20, 2016

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Can't say for the general public, but I've seen a lot of buzz online for BotW from people who are lapsed Nintendo fans. "It's great to be excited for a Nintendo game again" is a common refrain I'm seeing/hearing a lot.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

youcallthatatwist posted:

The problem with the wii u's lineup wasn't a lack of good games - it was a lack of variety. Almost all of the best games for wii u were platformers and/or local-multiplayer-focused games. These are two genres that Nintendo does extremely well, but they aren't enough to sustain a console. I like story-driven singleplayer stuff, and pikmin was the closest i got for a looong time - wii u will be the only nintendo system in history not to have an exclusive zelda game, and the one it's getting is basically being released as an afterthought, months after the thing ends production.

There were definitely exceptions to this, like Splatoon and #FE, but they both came too late to make an impact on hardware sales.

I just got a Wii U this summer. I'm having a great time ordering games right now cheap that I haven't played. I grabbed splinter cell today for $14 bucks. Yes, I will be getting a Switch too, but I really like the system. There seems like there are third party gems if you look.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

youcallthatatwist posted:

The problem with the wii u's lineup wasn't a lack of good games

Yes it was. Nintendo could turn out a good game on a regular basis, but they were doing them six months apart (or more) and being the only company making titles for the thing that is a terminally long time to go without releases.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Theta Zero posted:

Here's a gif of Miyamoto presenting the Switch and Mario Run in Jimmy Fallon, since nobody has posted one yet.

you've got the wrong gif

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
You wanna sell dem third pahty games?

Put Link in Skyrim badda Bing badda boom. Hylian playable character race.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

greatn posted:

Link's hat will be an item available on in Skyrim: Switch™ Edition.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

greatn posted:

bing bing bong so simple

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
Sometimes I wonder what our world would be if Nintendo consoles had the same third party support as their competitors in the modern generations. Namely in the silly crossover stuff.

Imagine finding a Varia suit in Mass Effect or something. That would've been neato.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You may be interested in my rom hack "Metroid Effect"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Theta Zero posted:

Sometimes I wonder what our world would be if Nintendo consoles had the same third party support as their competitors in the modern generations. Namely in the silly crossover stuff.

Imagine finding a Varia suit in Mass Effect or something. That would've been neato.

Exclusive to the Nintendo X's version of Mass Effect 4 : Chazz, the Chozo squadmate

"What's Ballin', Shepard, you never seen a chozo shaman before?"

romanceable

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

Third party devs are already returning to Nintendo

You see that anemic lineup for the Wii U? That's after third parties got burned by the Wii and somewhat by the Gamecube. That is third parties showing a severe lack of faith in the Wii U. So why would there be so many more companies signed up for the Switch after mild disaster of the Wii U? Because they think they will be able to make and sell games for the Switch.

Why did third parties get burned? I didn't keep up with the wii so idk too too much in regards to who was and wasn't developing for it

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Atlus delayed Persona 5 so that they can port it to the Switch.

And cancel the PS4 version. :unsmigghh:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

how can they delay it when it's already out

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Japan doesn't count

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Low specs aside, ultimately it's the January 12th/13th Nintendo Switch Direct that's going to make or break it. You're going to buy the Switch primarily for the games, so the showcase ought to be pretty good if Nintendo are going to sell it to the masses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rexroom posted:

Low specs aside, ultimately it's the January 12th/13th Nintendo Switch Direct that's going to make or break it. You're going to buy the Switch primarily for the games, so the showcase ought to be pretty good if Nintendo are going to sell it to the masses.

If the Switch is less than $400 and has more than 2 launch titles I give a poo poo about, I will pre-order. Like, they need to actually impress me with games immediately. I can always just get the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild, and like, Capcom not announcing a new Switch-exclusive Monster Hunter was a major blow to my enthusiasm. I'll hold out final judgement until that Switch Direct, though. It seems like Nintendo is trying hard to keep a lid on the game lineup until then, so there's probably a bunch of unannounced stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Why did third parties get burned? I didn't keep up with the wii so idk too too much in regards to who was and wasn't developing for it

Nintendo has always had an antagonistic relationship with developers/publishers who played along with their high licensing fees and restrictions until they weren't the only game in town anymore. In latter years the issues have mainly been hardware stuff like unorthodox controllers or expensive/smaller media formats, but back in the snes/nes days they created a lot of resentment with their hegemony.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I actually do just want a Wii U portable, I skipped the Wii U and it had a lot of stuff I'd be interested in, like SM3DW, WWHD, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101 etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Nintendo has always had an antagonistic relationship with developers/publishers who played along with their high licensing fees and restrictions until they weren't the only game in town anymore. In latter years the issues have mainly been hardware stuff like unorthodox controllers or expensive/smaller media formats, but back in the snes/nes days they created a lot of resentment with their hegemony.

Ah, but what does that have to do with the Wii? I thought the wii had a lot of non-nintendo games on it.

• Locked thread