Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
My favorite shot from a trip to Norway:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The one thing I really was hoping to get a chance to shoot on my recent trip to South Georgia was elephant seals fighting, and I ended up taking this picture about 5 minutes after landing on the first beach there.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

InternetJunky posted:

The one thing I really was hoping to get a chance to shoot on my recent trip to South Georgia was elephant seals fighting, and I ended up taking this picture about 5 minutes after landing on the first beach there.

HOLY

SHITBALLS

:eyepop:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How sad should I be that I cut off the bottom of this dude's foot? :(

edit: also here's a duck or something

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 17, 2016

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How sad should I be that I cut off the bottom of this dude's foot? :(

edit: also here's a duck or something

I like these, I'd probably crop in more on the top one since as mentioned the foot is cut off.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

I'd probably crop in more on the top one since as mentioned the foot is cut off.
Hm, thanks! I'll play around with that a bit. Are either of these shots doing anything more for you?

edit: also here have some sort of miniature Godzilla thing

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Where do you live?

I like the first one you posted the most of that bird but I think it should be a profile crop since there isn't much interesting going on below it's neck.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

VelociBacon posted:

Where do you live?
These are from the Santa Barbara Zoo :blush:

VelociBacon posted:

I like the first one you posted the most of that bird but I think it should be a profile crop since there isn't much interesting going on below it's neck.
That makes sense. So something more like this? I'm not used to shooting animals besides my cat. Thanks for your advice!

Holy crap there's a lot of detail in those feathers on the side of its head.

edit: since I keep editing a new shot in every time, here's a snake:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Nov 17, 2016

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

This sea lion was taking a nap in the harbor. What a life.

California Sea Lion by Elanna, on Flickr

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Jadeilyn posted:

Oh man I drool when I sleep too.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jadeilyn posted:

Well, until an Orca or Great White take notice of you.

Went birding at a park near my house. On my way back to the car I scared this guy off the trail. Probably the largest set of antlers I've ever seen on a Black-Tailed Deer (pacific subspecies of Mule Deer).

Black-Tailed Buck
by Josh, on Flickr

This muskrat was standing out 15ft away from me. Unfortunately when I tried to move to a better angle it took off.

Muskrat
by Josh, on Flickr

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

I saw elephant seals too! The northern ones though, not the southern ones

Jadeilyn
Nov 21, 2004

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Well, until an Orca or Great White take notice of you.

Went birding at a park near my house. On my way back to the car I scared this guy off the trail. Probably the largest set of antlers I've ever seen on a Black-Tailed Deer (pacific subspecies of Mule Deer).

Black-Tailed Buck
by Josh, on Flickr

This muskrat was standing out 15ft away from me. Unfortunately when I tried to move to a better angle it took off.

Muskrat
by Josh, on Flickr

In the harbor at least, he was king.

Good job on the focus with the buck, did you have a chance to get more than one photo before he bolted?

Joshua Tree National Park is miserably hot even at 8:00 AM, but we went for the Milky Way. Regardless, the chuckwallas are bold and this one had no fucks to give.

Common Chuckwalla by Elanna, on Flickr

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Ah, so that's where the :3: emote comes from!!

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Jadeilyn posted:

Good job on the focus with the buck, did you have a chance to get more than one photo before he bolted?

Hah. He was relatively brave, especially for a buck in hunting season, and pretty much stayed put within 100ft of me, even after I continued walking towards my car. I was really surprised.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I saw elephant seals too! The northern ones though, not the southern ones

Whereabouts do you find the northern ones? Are those young ones fighting? They look so different from the ones I saw.

Jadeilyn posted:

Hilarious shot.

Sea lions are dicks to penguins though. By dicks, I mean they play with and slaughter them pretty gruesomely. Here's a poor Gentoo getting caught trying to get out of the water

...and then there's the Leopard Seals. We watched a group of 6-8 of them grab more than 30 King Penguins within a few hours (the poor penguins were caught up in a layer of slush on the top of the water and couldn't get back to or away from land). It was like watching a penguin version of Jaws. :(

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Whereabouts do you find the northern ones? Are those young ones fighting? They look so different from the ones I saw.
I stopped by the elephant seal rookery in San Simeon, CA. And yeah they're sparring. There are hundreds of elephant seals there. Most are usually sleeping, some are scooting about, some are flipping sand on themselves, and a few are usually sparring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There's one at Point Reyes, CA as well, which is a good place for birds too.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I think Año Nuevo SP north of Santa Cruz might be the biggest one, although at least some of the time it is only accessible on a guided tour.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Is the sharpening too aggressive?

Deer Landscape by B. B., on Flickr

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Is the sharpening too aggressive?

Deer Landscape by B. B., on Flickr

Nope seems fine to me.

TonySnow
Mar 24, 2008
Snorkeling in Hawaii is fun and cool.

PA070076.jpg

PA070077.jpg

TonySnow fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 27, 2016

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Pablo Bluth posted:

WPY 2016 winner announced.

Probably the best winner in a few years.

And that Orang shot was with a goPro!

I just got back from Borneo and was lucky enough to shoot some semi wild Orangutans which I will get around to processing at some point...

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pablo Bluth posted:

WPY 2016 winner announced.

Probably the best winner in a few years.

The youth winner is a killer shot too, especially for being a photo of a crow with some inexpensive gear.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dread Head posted:

And that Orang shot was with a goPro!

Wait was this shot with a drone because if it was I don't like it anymore.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
No. Tim Lamen climbed up the tree beforehand, fixing GoPros in to position then waited for an orangutan to climb the right tree.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Another Elephant Seal shot. I was trying to get a shot of the tiny Antarctic Pipit so ended up with the wrong lens on my camera when these two decided to go at it.

That's a great shot.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

Fur Seal

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Very nice seal dot bork.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

That's a great shot. It would have been heartbreaking, but fascinating to watch. I totally jealous of your trip.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

The good life

accipter posted:

That's a great shot. It would have been heartbreaking, but fascinating to watch. I totally jealous of your trip.
Heartbreaking is a pretty good description. So many poor penguins gobbled, and for each one eaten there was a fat, brown baby penguin waiting patiently on shore for their return. :(

accipter
Sep 12, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

The good life

Heartbreaking is a pretty good description. So many poor penguins gobbled, and for each one eaten there was a fat, brown baby penguin waiting patiently on shore for their return. :(

That is a massive elephant seal! This is from the colony at Ano Nuevo State Park in CA this last Saturday.

DSCF8036 by Albert Kottke, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
Orangutans.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
Roe deer

2016-12-28_111057 by Anders Öquist, on Flickr

Damienz
Sep 4, 2012

From my trips to the local zoos this year:

https://flic.kr/p/Ps6oub

https://flic.kr/p/QF3Fe5

Damienz fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 30, 2016

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I almost never photograph mammals. It feels weird to photograph animals that are kind of big, and also aren't afraid to approach you. I was too lazy to take the extender off my bird telephoto, so I ended up having to run away from foxes to get them to mostly fit within the frame.

Common dolphin by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Island fox by Jason the Hutt, on Flickr

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArgumentatumE.C.T.
Nov 5, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I guess FactsAreUseless wanted me to share these with the official photography forum instead of just GBS. It's two dead animals getting eaten down to the bone by maggots. :nws: , :nms: and etc.

http://i.imgur.com/d60XoyA.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/92cFRrr.jpg

I only have the two, so if you didn't care for these you don't have to worry about more.

ArgumentatumE.C.T. fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 14, 2017