Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Rhonne posted:

17 absorbs 18 to become Super 17.

Gonna make family get togethers real awkward.

Yikes, who let this fashion monstrosity out in the streets looking like that :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Parrotine posted:

Yikes, who let this fashion monstrosity out in the streets looking like that :psyduck:

The same man responsible for this:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Parrotine posted:

Dr Gero

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Augus posted:

Dr Gero

"I'm hip, I know what the teens like these days!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I prefer 1718 in fusions

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wasn't there something about 17 absorbing 16?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wasn't there something about 17 absorbing 16?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
TFS started reaching the heavy hitters and main villains of the DBZ arcs in their villain countdown.

I gotta say I'd have ranked Cell lower than Buu myself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pureauthor posted:

TFS started reaching the heavy hitters and main villains of the DBZ arcs in their villain countdown.

I gotta say I'd have ranked Cell lower than Buu myself.

I haven't watched it but I can see it. Buu starts off strong but Super Buu and Kid Buu are pretty boring and the arc becomes really muddled with all the Gohan stuff.

In comparison the Androids are muddled but once Cell comes into play the Cell arc is a lot smoother and comes to a much stronger end.

The Buu *arc* is fun but Buu himself basically comes less interesting the more he devolved into smashymonster.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Super Buu taking a big poo poo on Piccolo's "Kill all humans and then we'll fight" stall tactic is still one of the most chilling but also funny as poo poo moments of the franchise.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I really like Buutenks making GBS threads on Gohan and poking at his inferiority complex.
Otherwise though, they're kinda right about Super Buu being a bit too much of a discount Perfect Cell.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I haven't watched it but I can see it. Buu starts off strong but Super Buu and Kid Buu are pretty boring and the arc becomes really muddled with all the Gohan stuff.

In comparison the Androids are muddled but once Cell comes into play the Cell arc is a lot smoother and comes to a much stronger end.

The Buu *arc* is fun but Buu himself basically comes less interesting the more he devolved into smashymonster.

This is basically what they say. Fat Buu and Super Buu are cool and legitimately scary villains but after Super Buu starts absorbing people he just gets lame and is effectively Diet Cell. Kid Buu brings it back to intimidating but by then you just want the arc to be over.

I initially got salty when I see they had him at #6 but their points are valid.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Super Buu should've taken on more characteristics from the people he absorbed.

*Jawbreaker Vegito beelines for him*

"Oh crapbaskets."

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Super Buu owns

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

So their top 5 is Cell, Frieza, King Piccolo, Vegeta and ???

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kild posted:

I assume Beerus.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Kild posted:

Purple Cat God.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Kild posted:

Movie Beerus. I think they said in the Super video that they're counting DBS Beerus and Movie Beerus as separate characters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kild posted:

Beerus.

5 is definitely either Beerus of Vegeta

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I'd say 1) Frieza 2) Beerus 3) Vegeta 4) Cell 5) King Piccolo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
At the end of the video they hint at Beerus and say "get ready for number five" over a whole bunch of Beerus clips.

Personally, I'm guessing

1) Freiza, 2) King Piccolo, 3) Vegeta, 4) Cell, 5) Beerus

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
When they get to Freeza, do you think that they'll use "Freeza" or "Frieza"?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Quite enjoyed the Super manga take on things this time out. Extremely different, sure, but it's quite cool nevertheless.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Mraagvpeine posted:

When they get to Freeza, do you think that they'll use "Freeza" or "Frieza"?

My guess is Freeza, since whenever Frieza is used, they pronounce it, "Fry-za".

Caros
May 14, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Quite enjoyed the Super manga take on things this time out. Extremely different, sure, but it's quite cool nevertheless.

It hits the same notes, but honestly I think the manga has done this part better than Super did. It gets to the point faster, gives the heroes a chance to shine and makes Black's random powerups make a little bit more sense.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

His name is Furīza-sama you baka gaijin

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

The man called M posted:

My guess is Freeza, since whenever Frieza is used, they pronounce it, "Fry-za".

I'm not even sure why, because 'frieze' is a word.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Funimation renders Freeza's name as Frieza because it's easier to copyright pretty much

There's no other reason to spell it that way

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Caros posted:

It hits the same notes, but honestly I think the manga has done this part better than Super did. It gets to the point faster, gives the heroes a chance to shine and makes Black's random powerups make a little bit more sense.

I feel like if the Toei team and Toyotaro coordinated the story together, the arc would have been truly mindblowing. Toyotaro does great work with the character interaction, scene direction, pacing, and filling in the gaps of Toriyama's notes. Toei excels at making the villains intimidating and smug, and giving them a bit more time to flesh things out. Toei and Toyotaro also come up with some of the best callbacks to earlier series, though Toyotaro is usually a bit more subtle (ironically, given how he is literally the Dragon Ball fanboy dream come true) while Toei's team loves making grandiose callbacks (KAIOKEN! MAFUBA! VEGITO BLUE! FINAL KAMEHAMEHA!). It makes me hopeful for the upcoming arc with Toyotaro being ahead of the anime again.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Even if the manga is releasing slightly ahead of the anime, the anime is being produced months in advance of the manga. one being earlier to come out than the other doesn't mean it's going to have an impact on the other one

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The manga's tournament team is just Goku and Krillin.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

sassassin posted:

The manga's tournament team is just 17 and buu

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's a "who has the coolest character off" and Universe 10 just narrowly loses the final between Gowasu and Satan

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not entirely sure how you can say you like this take on things. There's no real connection between Zamasu and Goku so Black's existence is nearly completely random, which is not helped by Black being a complete pushover in this version so there's no actual tension whatsoever. It's not like the writing even tries to make him threatening either, he's painted as weak and lame.

It feels like Toyotaro is trying to get through the arc a bit too fast for his own good. The anime definitely had pacing problems, but these many cuts and changes are making it really hard to care about the villain of the arc.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Blaze Dragon posted:

which is not helped by Black being a complete pushover in this version so there's no actual tension whatsoever. It's not like the writing even tries to make him threatening either, he's painted as weak and lame.

Maybe, but I get the impression that things will change dramatically when Zamasu and Black start fighting together, or when they fuse. I'm especially interested to know if the manga will follow the anime's conclusion, with Zamasu turning into Giygas from Earthbound.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The manga's pacing isn't quite right for me. It's faster and smoother, which is good, but it hits the same problem the universe tournament arc does where it doesn't really feel like the heroes are in trouble. At least not yet. It's the bears and the oatmeal problem, the anime does arcs too bloated and watered down, the manga does them too condensed and without tension and the movies hit it just right.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The Zamasu arc from DBZ super pacing is too fast, which is weird complaint given the history of the franchise. Black actually felt like a threat in the anime, where here, he just gets his poo poo rocked by vegeta nearly instantly.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Yeah I don't like how Black is not even a threat.

Same with the Universe 6 tournament. Were the manga made Hit much less threatening. (Making it so that his time skip only works if he is stronger then his opponent which is a dumb thing)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Number 5 villain is out, I find it strange they talked about how Super turned Beerus into more of a villain who does evil things, and then go and say Beerus is great in the movie because he's known for destroying things on a whim.

On another note, I've started to have a bit of a problem: What color is Vegeta's hair? I've always thought it was black, but some stuff makes it seem brown (an ep of Kai I saw on Tonami made it SUPER apparent). They gave Vegito tones of brown, but Vegeta's hair was straight up black in Battle of Gods. What's the deal here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Momomo posted:

Number 5 villain is out, I find it strange they talked about how Super turned Beerus into more of a villain who does evil things, and then go and say Beerus is great in the movie because he's known for destroying things on a whim.

On another note, I've started to have a bit of a problem: What color is Vegeta's hair? I've always thought it was black, but some stuff makes it seem brown (an ep of Kai I saw on Tonami made it SUPER apparent). They gave Vegito tones of brown, but Vegeta's hair was straight up black in Battle of Gods. What's the deal here?

All Saiyans are supposed to have black hair. It's just a coloring error.

• Locked thread