Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Daryl Surat posted:

I still own an iPad 3, and the last time I saw "there was a jailbreak available!" I upgraded to 9.3.3 only to find out that the jailbreak was only for the newer 64-bit devices. Did that change such that I should try again right now before the signing window closes?

There will be a jailbreak tool for 32 bit devices stuck on 9.3.x released "soon". It will be something completely different than the 10.1.1 jailbreak.

Edit: it's being made by this team supposedly. So we'll see.

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So nobody should upgrade to 10.1.1 if they already have a jailbreak, but it's super easy to save your SHSH2 blobs with this tool.

Basically, you want SHSH2 blobs to be able to upgrade to 10.1.1 after Apple stops signing the .ipsw. You can only upgrade to a specific FW version if Apple is signing that firmware. They're currently signing 10.1.1, which has a Proof of Concept exploit already written and open source. It'll probably get a jailbreak eventually.

However, it's probably going to take a bit of time for that to happen, time enough for Apple to stop signing 10.1.1, which I'm shocked they haven't done already.

The reason why you want the SHSH2 blobs, is because there is a tool called Prometheus which promises the ability to upgrade or downgrade to any firmware, even when Apple is no longer signing it... if and only if you have the SHSH2 blobs for that firmware.

To get your SHSH2 blobs you can use the tool I linked above. However, you can only get the SHSH2 blobs for the proper firmware version so long as Apple is signing it. Right now, Apple is signing 10.1, 10.1.1, and 10.2. Once Prometheus is released, you'll be able to upgrade or downgrade to those versions. It should be released around or shortly after the New Year.

In other words, get your device specific blobs ASAP. It takes literally under a minute. Plugging my iphone into my computer and loading up itunes took longer than saving my blobs. And once you have them, you can jump up to iOS 10.1.1 whenever a jailbreak for that version is released, no gambling required.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Brilliant, done. The TSS Saver site kept timing out but went through in the end. Can't seem to save the blobs to my machine, but I presume they're stored there?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So if I'm on 10.1.1 already? Do the blobs thing because it will let me downgrade to
Any firmware? I guess that's just in case 10.1.1 isn't jailbroke and I need to go back to 9.3 or whatever.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
No. If you "save your blobs" right now, it will only save the verification codes for currently signed firmware. So you'll only get the blobs for 10.1.1 and 10.2. Once you leave 9.3.3 there's no going back down.

That's why people were saying that if you were on 9.3.3 to save your blobs right now ( to get the keys for 10.1.1 and 10.2) and stay at 9.3.3 to keep your jailbreak.

Once a jailbreak for 10.1.1 is released, and Prometheus is officially released, THEN you will use Prometheus and your blobs to install 10.1.1 (since Apple will have closed the window by then) and jailbreak.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

According to posts elsewhere, Apple has stopped signing 10.1..

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

poo poo, missed it. In the future, what would have been to process to upgrade my 9.3.3 phone to 10.1.1 while iTunes is trying to upgrade me to 10.2?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Klungar posted:

poo poo, missed it. In the future, what would have been to process to upgrade my 9.3.3 phone to 10.1.1 while iTunes is trying to upgrade me to 10.2?

Download the correct 10.1.1 firmware from ipsw.me. Go to iTunes, click on the device, then "hold shift + left click" on the Restore button which would open a pop up window to allow you to select the 10.1.1 install.

Edit; wording.

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 21, 2016

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

BTW, if you're looking for official confirmation of 10.1.1 no longer being signed, this is as official as it gets:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/12/20/apple-ceases-ios-101-and-1011-code-signing-with-release-of-ios-102

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
Well, drat. That was quick. Oh well!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Ahh sucks I missed out on the 10.1 blobs! I was gonna it tonight!! :negative:

However, maybe this is good news:

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/811606103272386560

If I am reading that right ANY 10.x can be jailbroken if on an iphone 6s or iPad Pro (me) ?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
agh please do 32bit devices please

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Ahh sucks I missed out on the 10.1 blobs! I was gonna it tonight!! :negative:

However, maybe this is good news:

https://twitter.com/qwertyoruiopz/status/811606103272386560

If I am reading that right ANY 10.x can be jailbroken if on an iphone 6s or iPad Pro (me) ?

You're reading it wrong unfortunately. Only 10.1 and 10.1.1 will be jailbreakable. 10.2 patched the exploit that Project Zero found.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Poala Bear posted:

You're reading it wrong unfortunately. Only 10.1 and 10.1.1 will be jailbreakable. 10.2 patched the exploit that Project Zero found.

Why are they calling out 7 differently from 6S then?

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Luckily this is an update:

https://twitter.com/tihmstar/status/811917809055887363

However I have no idea if I "did that shsh2 thing right".

It seems like shsh2 referrers to blobs but why would that be news since I thought saving blobs always meant you could go to 10.1.1 anyway?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
If you're on 9.3.3 and have either used the Pangu app or the PP app to enable your jailbreak, you do not have the thing set up right supposedly. However, If you reboot your phone, and use that Jailbreak.me WebKit website exploit to re-enable your jailbreak, then the shsh2 thing will be corrected.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Poala Bear posted:

If you're on 9.3.3 and have either used the Pangu app or the PP app to enable your jailbreak, you do not have the thing set up right supposedly. However, If you reboot your phone, and use that Jailbreak.me WebKit website exploit to re-enable your jailbreak, then the shsh2 thing will be corrected.

What's that mean if I never downloaded 10.1.1 for blobs or whatever? Am I out of luck, or is there some other way to update past signing?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Anyone who did not save blobs is screwed for the 10. x jailbreak.

In fact, even people that did save blobs might be screwed, since Prometheus may never materialize, or may not work as expected.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

Klungar posted:

Why are they calling out 7 differently from 6S then?

Qwertyoruiop stated that it will work with the jailbreak for 6s and iPad Pro will work on iOS 10.0.0 - 10.1.1 (Hence the any iOS 10 Firmware statement). For the 7 and 7+ it will only work on 10.1 and 10.1.1.

Once again the exploits used for the 10.1.1 jailbreak were patched out in 10.2.

Even though Qwertyoruiop said that the iPhone 6s and iPad Pro will work on any iOS 10 Firmware doesnt necessarily mean iOS 10.2, the most we've gotten about the iOS 10.2 Jailbreak is from i0n1c, here, here, and here.

Poala Bear fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Dec 23, 2016

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
I don't even care about upgrading to iOS 10, but I do miss the days of blobs and the greater ability to choose which version of iOS you were running. Hoping this heralds a return to that standard.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

So the very unstable/beta 10.1-10.1.1 jailbreak is out so that's good right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

It's actually reported to be beta, but very stable and still quite unsupported. Time will fix that.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
Developers should be the only people installing it right now. Not average users honestly.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What yeah obviously I didn't say everyone go download it just that hopefully it means good news soon

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Well, it looks like Apple took their iOS signing servers down, possibly as a response to the exploit Prometheus used to allow people to downgrade to unsigned firmwares. In the 33c3 presentation the creator of Prometheus mentioned his exploit would be easy for Apple to fix, so it's possible that it's being fixed right now.

If you stayed on iOS 9 to be jailbroken and were relying on Prometheus to let you update to 10.1.1 after the signing window was closed, you may have miscalculated.

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007
I've suffered through long stretches between jailbreaks. I got plenty of patience to wait for 10.2, 10.3, or even 11 jailbreak. No rush!

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
With the stability of 9.3.3, I'm not even fussed about the potential 10 jailbreak, especially how it's in experimental stages.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Yeah, I kind of get upgrading to latest, if for example a 10.2.x JB was released, but I don't understand being on 9.x and wanting to be on 10.1.
You're still behind either way and to be honest, IOS 10 is a shitpile.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
Any cool, minimal, lock screen tweaks that allow for a little more information? Generally with my jailbreaks I go for pretty vanilla functionality type stuff but I'm getting a bit bored lately.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess there's a 9.3.5 jb for old 32 bit devices

https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak/comments/5lceg9/news_luca_jailbreaks_ios_935/?st=IXEIUJER&sh=311259ac

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Better than that, it means you will likely be able to downgrade your childe's 4S or iPad2 to IOS6, making it good as new.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like the stable 10.1.1 jb might be soonish. :pray: just a guess I think it's only 6s and up?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having some issues with Cydia. My phone was jailbroken for months and then after a reboot it wasn't. I run Pangu just fine but when I click on Cydia it immediately crashes. Well sort of crashes, it shows as open when I doubleclick the home button, but then when I click on it it crashes again. I don't have cydelete or whatever it's called.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Apparently a 10.2 JB is out, so far only supporting 6/6S

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Including 10.12.1? Or is Apple still signing 10.12?

LoSesMC
Feb 13, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Apparently a 10.2 JB is out, so far only supporting 6/6S

It doesn't look like the iPhone 6/Plus (non-S) is supported yet.

Klungar posted:

Including 10.12.1? Or is Apple still signing 10.12?

Apple is still signing 10.2, but from what I've read 10.2.1 won't be supported for jailbreak.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Isn't that the iOS with poo poo battery life though

What's this pleb poo poo where's the iphone 7 JB

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

They might be taking advantage of an exploit found currently in the A9 chips only, as the new Luca Todesco jailbreak will only work with 10.2 and the iPhone 6s, SE, and iPad Pro, which all use the A9.

All the 7's use the A10 Fusion.

Those involved might still be looking for / testing any A10 Fusion exploits.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Alright, so I have a 6S and just got 10.2 installed from 9.3.3, I'm good to wait on doing the actual jailbreaking at my leisure, correct? I'm leaving on a trip in the morning and don't want to bork my phone before I leave and would rather deal with it when I get back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Klungar posted:

Alright, so I have a 6S and just got 10.2 installed from 9.3.3, I'm good to wait on doing the actual jailbreaking at my leisure, correct? I'm leaving on a trip in the morning and don't want to bork my phone before I leave and would rather deal with it when I get back.

Yeah, just hang out until you get back. Once 10.2 is installed it doesn't matter when the signing window closes

• Locked thread