Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

Another day passes, and yet again i realise that donald trump might actually condemn my country to a frozen hellhole with his environmental policy

times like this, i drink

so you're saying that there are some silver linings to this cloud, thanks v :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Volkerball posted:

Up until about 5 or 6 years ago they were one of the best bands out there tho.
This implies that Muse was once a band that didn't make bland and inoffensive music.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Muse made really boring rock. It was competent, but all the rough edges were sanded off, bereft of character and personality, and out came a product destined to sell to audiences that want glossy, shiny music, but refuse to listen to pop music (which, as it turns out, is generally more musically interesting than Muse at their 'best').

Now when Muse went off the rails, high on their own farts, wow did they go off the rails.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm not into their more recent work and man, maybe this just makes me sound old, but Supermassive Black Hole is a good album.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The only redeeming quality of Muse is that Knights of Cydonia was fun to play in Rock Band or Guitar Hero, I forget which

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
Muse is OK for background music, turned down a little. Like I wouldn't be annoyed too much if I heard it on an elevator.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

muse are shite

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

This implies that Muse was once a band that didn't make bland and inoffensive music.

Muses entire identity at the start was based around the different ways they experimented so I have no idea what you are talking about. There's no other band who made songs like map of the problematique, their cover of feeling good, dead star, or space dementia, much less all of them. They did stuff no one had ever tried before, crammed it all together, and somehow made it work perfectly most of the time, which was a really cool thing to experience. I'm sorry if you were too busy listening to Hey Ya to appreciate it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fockin prods.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
man this bliss song is so generic. someone turn it to whatever station is playing sorry ms jackson right now

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Shut the gently caress up Volkerball.

e: about Muse

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

man this bliss song is so generic. someone turn it to whatever station is playing sorry ms jackson right now

man

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I loved "New Born" by Muse. "Starlight", "Hysteria", "Time is Running Out", "Muscle Museum" are decent IMO. Maybe a couple others that didn't make it to my phone for some reason. I haven't liked anything they've done more recently than those, though I've only checked out the singles. For me that puts them in the plus-band column but whatever.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Muse were not experimental lol

Doing 20 variations of a generic rock style is not experimental.

Frank Zappa, for example, worked in pretty much every single genre from classical to industrial noise and probably created a few new ones too.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
experimental is right up there with angular, achingly, and southern-fried in the pantheon of useless terms to describe music

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe
Really, everything after prog rock was just redundant

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The Muppets On PCP posted:

experimental is right up there with angular, achingly, and southern-fried in the pantheon of useless terms to describe music

Every few years I go to a happening with "new experimental music" and it's always new kids doing exactly the same things the now older kids did three years earlier. Yeah even the dumb-rear end with the squeaky rubber duck there's always a dumb-rear end with a rubber duck so experimental you guys.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so whats a good "it's 9:00 and my flight isnt for 3 hours" drink

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

mandatory lesbian posted:

Bloody mary

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Water!

rotd's with me.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Aeryk posted:

Bloody mary

lol thats what i ended up getting

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
kinda want a gin and tonic but not sure if thats too much this early

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

kinda want a gin and tonic but not sure if thats too much this early

I'm knocking back vodka shots but I've already put in a full vacay day of cleaning. Plus my sleep schedule has been all over the drat place while I'm trying to make myself wake up at a reasonable hour

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

:stonk:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Volkerball posted:

jesus loving christ

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

middleschool.jpg.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

lol at the idea of muse being experimental

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

also I don't get people who like zappa

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

middleschool.jpg.

korn was way uncool by middle sćool, the killers and mcr was where it was at then

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

kustomkarkommando posted:

lol at the idea of muse being experimental

Matt Bellamy is legit a crazy person

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Matt Bellamy is legit a crazy person

just kind of softboiled "its like 1984" typical libertarian-lite conspiracy man

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

just kind of softboiled "its like 1984" typical libertarian-lite conspiracy man

he's got a good dose of coast to coast in their too

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
coast to coast is my favorite radio show, and im sad i no longer get off work At midnight to enjoy it

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

I like Zappa, but I recognise that a lot of his material is quite bad. Not all experiments are successful.

I still admire that he actually bothered, though, and didn't go down the route a lot of musicians go down which is find a bland brand of mediocrity that is good enough and ride it out for their entire career.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

his work is at least pretty interesting

Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

pangstrom posted:

Water!

rotd's with me.

:yeah:

tea also works

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

fishmech posted:

his work is at least pretty interesting

noteworthy maybe

The only people I've encountered in the wild who give a poo poo about Zappa are Americans and Italians

In much the way nobody outside of north america cares about phish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

"Oh you mean the beefheart who sings songs about butts"

• Locked thread