Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Mans posted:

what you just said is basically Men of War and it just furthers the point that the Men of War team should be doing a 40k game.

Was manually controlling a single dude in a big group a viable strategy in multiplayer? That's all I ever did cause it was fun, but I always got the feeling I shouldn't be doing that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
light vehicles like the greyhound or the luchs were tremendously powerful in direct control. Infantry too since you could time grenade and make them bounce off walls for sick nasty squad-kills.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stuff seems to get more disappointing as it goes along. The visual stuff as far as the art style goes seems okay, and I don't really have a problem with Angelos leaping around like an anime, but the fact that it's going from a tactical game in DOW2 to a bland StarCraft style RTS is disappointing. Don't get me wrong, I grew up playing the Command and Conquer games and the original StarCraft. But I hate having to deal with build orders and base micro. I loved DoW2 (including the single player) specifically because it was more about how you control your tiny pixel mans rather than how on-point you were about handling resource harvesting and build queues. Abstracting away the strategic layer to focus more on the tactical layer made the game a lot more fun.

I'm hoping that when it gets some more polish and they go through more passes on it they'll start adding some stuff that makes it look less disappointing, but I have no great faith. Maybe the game will sell well enough that we'll get a DOW4 in another 5 or 10 years that will go back to DOW2 style. :saddowns:

(I'll still undoubtedly buy and play this game at some point, I'm sure I've played shittier Warhammer games.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1-Ap_0g8o

I am honestly baffled by how much effort seems to have been pushed into the story animatics that will take place between campaign missions, and the actual gameplay itself. How do you compare some of those incredible pieces of artwork with two blobs running at each other. It's not really a marriage of art and gameplay that I'd like, but as far as story and cutscene visuals go, it is impressive.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

How do you compare some of those incredible pieces of artwork with two blobs running at each other. It's not really a marriage of art and gameplay that I'd like, but as far as story and cutscene visuals go, it is impressive.

Been finally playing Homeworld: Deserts of kharak and they did an astonishingly good job of this.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Artum posted:

Been finally playing Homeworld: Deserts of kharak and they did an astonishingly good job of this.

You have no idea

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Deserts of Kharak is made by ex Relic employees though, not the DOW III team.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Indeed, point was on that meshing of cutscenes and gameplay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It just feels like thy are putting so much effort into the story and characters and artwork. Hell, their design for Macha is based off of /tg/'s fanart of her for God's sake. There is all this effort going in and yet the gameplay looks so rote and archaic next to it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Arcsquad12 posted:

Hell, their design for Macha is based off of /tg/'s fanart of her for God's sake.

I know it's far too similar to be an accident, but I still can't bring myself to believe that they did that on purpose.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Since taldeer is now with the biel tan for whatever reason, I wonder if ronahn ditched the alaitoc band to be with his dead sister. Ulthwe gets poo poo on almost as much as Biel Tan. Saim Hann just goes out on wild benders because red ones goes faster

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

The basics of each faction.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au/feature/interview-game-director-philippe-boulle-on-dawn-of-war-iii,446255
developer interview: covers dow3's camera, single-player character upgrading, gear swapping, campaign structure and comparisons to CoH/DoW1/DoW2

http://www.pcgamer.com/eldar-domination-hands-on-with-dawn-of-war-3s-space-elves/
eldar focused article: covers some single player campaign plot details, eldar integration into the main campaign, macha's involvement, also discusses general gameplay - combat pacing, feel of eldar units, intended mechanics etc

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"No camera rotation, but you can zoom out really far, guys!"

Lol what the hell are you doing Relic?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
why would they not have camera rotation :stare:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
To be fair, he also said that rotation might get put back in.

Seems to be another way they're chasing the SC2 mould though.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

one thing that i liked was the explanation that the new cover mechanic is intended as a broader incentive for melee unit investment rather than dow2's role of general disruption/set up team counter, i'm still not sold until i see it in action tho

it kinda sounds like the eldar battle focus is going to work a bit like BFG Armada's holofield mechanic, which could be interesting but to me it seems like for every piece of good news there's one piece of bad news back

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I almost never rotated the camera anyways because it seemed the maps were built with the default perspective in mind. Anytime I did rotate the camera it seemed like I was blocking something important.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Rotating the camera isn't for game advantage purposes, it's so you can get in real close and see all the cool details and animations.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

SRM posted:

Rotating the camera isn't for game advantage purposes, it's so you can get in real close and see all the cool details and animations.

eh, tho the majority of my zoom & rotates were just so i could watch a sick sync kill fire i would also rotate for vantage reasons... but it's not super essential imho with good map design

it really does seem like just the change of more units, bigger squads has rippled into all areas of dow3 since this is another thing to fit more mans on screen

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how they said they were keeping the truesight mechanic from CoH2, but the game has much less emphasis on urban combat so it basically won't matter.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

SRM posted:

Sounds like those aren't even in the game anymore. :laugh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Then there is no point in letting players rotate the camera, is there? :v:

Hamshot
Feb 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You can rotate the camera in starcraft 2 though :confused:

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

But not in this (dead) game

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Hamshot posted:

You can rotate the camera in starcraft 2 though :confused:
You could back in Warcraft 3. Not a full 360 but still.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3zxFBh30A

Ork gameplay footage featuring some horrible initial voice acting from Ronahn and Gorgutz. Looks really boring and for some reason the sound design for the levels shown so far has been subpar and really quiet.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I do like the huge mass of Orks in that video but I can't get over how combat looks like a disco ball with sword swings and bolters emitting bright flashes of light constantly and it all blurs together into nothingness. I want something more realistic/visceral looking to go with the whole grim dark theme.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I dunno how they've managed to make the game look so bad. Is it the same guys or is relic completely dead?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EW3zxFBh30A

Ork gameplay footage featuring some horrible initial voice acting from Ronahn and Gorgutz. Looks really boring and for some reason the sound design for the levels shown so far has been subpar and really quiet.

I really want to just be happy that we're getting a new Dawn of War after all these years but this footage is really making it difficult. Where's the strategy? Where are the tactics? You just build a horde and attack-move it. Such a huge step backwards from DoW2 :(

hemale in pain posted:

I dunno how they've managed to make the game look so bad. Is it the same guys or is relic completely dead?

I imagine they've lost quite a few people in all the turmoil the company went through in the last few years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Popete posted:

I do like the huge mass of Orks in that video but I can't get over how combat looks like a disco ball with sword swings and bolters emitting bright flashes of light constantly and it all blurs together into nothingness. I want something more realistic/visceral looking to go with the whole grim dark theme.

Yeah, how exactly are the battles supposed to be "easier to read" when you can't see anything through the disco light show?

Nothing has any weight in the video, and they even fell back on the building animations. I loved how old Ork Bases were literally just giant rocks of scrap that get air dropped by Bombaz, but now the gretchin just build them up age of empires style.

Oh, and the music is terrible. And why is Gorgutz with the Bad Moonz?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 1, 2017

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Senjuro posted:

I imagine they've lost quite a few people in all the turmoil the company went through in the last few years.

The lead designer's been with Relic a long time though IIRC he mostly headed expansions.

The animations and art direction look so much like Starcraft 2 with a 40k skin.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

It looks far worse than SC2 due to the angle, zoom, and flashy effects. SC2 made strides to ensure the game was easy to watch and discern what was going on amid the action. DoW3 is a mess of units and effects.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I thought pretty much all of it was cool and was mostly just annoyed by how aggressively terrible the guy playing was :shrug:

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
Can someone explain where the strategy is in this game?

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

KingEup posted:

In the multiplayer, hopefully.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

KingEup posted:

Strategy made Dawn of War 2 :qq:too much like a MOBA:qq: so combat has been repurposed to be band box all units -> right click. At least you get to build a pretty cartoon base for your space barbies to spawn from.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I think at this point I'd just prefer race DLC for DOW2, maybe port it up to a newer version of the Essence Engine. :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'd like being able to level the entire map. That was one of the many things that made dow 2 so good. By the end of a major battle there were no buildings left standing and the earth was on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Have they mentioned environment destruction? I would be down with leveling an entire city or starting a massive jungle fire.

• Locked thread