Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

TheMadMilkman posted:

Quick question before I hit submit on a Framemeister order.

Solaris Japan bundles the Framemeister with a Euro Scart adapter. This is the one that I want for comparability with my modded US consoles, correct?

Just another yup. The only time I've seen Japanese scart required is because well, Japanese doujin dance modded pc engine. But you can just buy the cable for like ten bucks or if you message doujin dance, I think he'll do a euro one if you ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Ineffiable posted:

Just another yup. The only time I've seen Japanese scart required is because well, Japanese doujin dance modded pc engine. But you can just buy the cable for like ten bucks or if you message doujin dance, I think he'll do a euro one if you ask.

When i got one from him years back it was Euro scart and i didn't have to ask.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

univbee posted:

When i got one from him years back it was Euro scart and i didn't have to ask.

I think I might have gotten my framemeister and the pc engine at the same time so I told him JP was fine because my framemeister was bundled with a JP one from Rakuten.

Hey guys, remember Rakuten?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't know if anyone else's Krikzz orders are on the same boat as mine, but my Black Friday order finally arrived in the states and is moving though the post system again.

Mine still has no tracking number. :smith:

Poor guy must've gotten really overwhelmed with orders.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

Ineffiable posted:

I think I might have gotten my framemeister and the pc engine at the same time so I told him JP was fine because my framemeister was bundled with a JP one from Rakuten.

Hey guys, remember Rakuten?

I just used it to get a Famicom mini (Through Buyee).

But yes I remember when I got good cheap Famicom games there. :(

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ineffiable posted:

That seems really weird. It should just take that 1080p content and multiply it by four pixels. You've tried different picture modes even?

It is a issue with that TV. I talked to LG about it and evidently it is a known issue with how their scaler works. I guess it is doing a different way of upscaling content than other manufacturers which for video content actually looks and works a lot better but for games it is rear end. Supposedly there will be a firmware update "in the future" that will address this. I guess they got a lot of complaints after the NES mini came out. I imagine they weren't expecting it at all.

plasticbugs
Dec 13, 2006

Special Batman and Robin

Ineffiable posted:

That seems really weird. It should just take that 1080p content and multiply it by four pixels. You've tried different picture modes even?

I've tried every single available setting in both the regular menu and the 'advanced' menu. The only way to make it marginally better is to pass the Framemeister output through a DVDO iScan Micro 4k which passes a 4k signal to the TV and prevents the TV from attempting to scale/interpolate. I would bet that the LG isn't the only 4k TV that exhibits this unwanted scaling behavior.

I hear that Panasonic 4k TVs do have a 1080 x 4 pixel scaling option. At this point, I'm stuck with a Framemeister that I can't really use to its full potential.

Edit: My other 'fix' is to turn on the CRT filter in the NES Classic Edition - which, by looking lovely, actually looks better to my eyes than the rounded-off pixels. I'm praying that LG releases some kind of firmware update to solve this. Until then, I'll be playing most of my retro games on my 14" PVM.

plasticbugs fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 19, 2016

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

plasticbugs posted:

I've tried every single available setting in both the regular menu and the 'advanced' menu. The only way to make it marginally better is to pass the Framemeister output through a DVDO iScan Micro 4k which passes a 4k signal to the TV and prevents the TV from attempting to scale/interpolate. I would bet that the LG isn't the only 4k TV that exhibits this unwanted scaling behavior.

I hear that Panasonic 4k TVs do have a 1080 x 4 pixel scaling option. At this point, I'm stuck with a Framemeister that I can't really use to its full potential.

Don't xboxes have hdmi pass through too? I could imagine buying a used Xbox Scorpio so it could do hdmi pass through with 4k.

But sounds like you might have a firmware update in the future.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Mace Bacon posted:

I just used it to get a Famicom mini (Through Buyee).

But yes I remember when I got good cheap Famicom games there. :(

Yeah that's what I mean, it used to be a Haven for cheap retro games.

Now they changed the rules and ebay is as cheap as it gets without actually going to the country.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ineffiable posted:

Don't xboxes have hdmi pass through too? I could imagine buying a used Xbox Scorpio so it could do hdmi pass through with 4k.

But sounds like you might have a firmware update in the future.

You wouldn't want to use that for gaming, there is a bit of delay.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Don't know if anyone else's Krikzz orders are on the same boat as mine, but my Black Friday order finally arrived in the states and is moving though the post system again.

Mine too. Got the notification that it arrived in New York. Hopefully it will get here this week, since I'm off work all next week.

Ineffiable posted:

Thank you to you and everyone else who responded. I'll be putting in my order today, and then [im]patiently waiting for it to ship in late January.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

fishmech posted:

You wouldn't want to use that for gaming, there is a bit of delay.

Fair enough. Serious question, is there an hdmi device that would do pass through without delay? Just for trying to get a framemeister to play nice with 4k tvs.

Or something that might take 1080p and post it as 4k?

Im sure something will be made in the future 4k is only just starting to be a thing after all.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's a lot of HDMI to 4k upscalers already, but you're gonna have to look for one that doesn't do the pixel rounding and doesn't introduce input delay yourself. I doubt there's anyone who's looked really closely at these yet.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my PVM will hold up. Maybe I should try to find a spare CRT? Gave my last one away to a friend after getting the current monitor. All this upscaler - be it Framemeister or the OSSC - talk seems just needlessly expensive and complicated compared to just hooking my stuff up to a good CRT/PVM.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Got my Super Everdrive from the black Friday sale like 10 days ago. I ordered it very quickly the first day of the sale, perhaps within the first few hours.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

There's a lot of HDMI to 4k upscalers already, but you're gonna have to look for one that doesn't do the pixel rounding and doesn't introduce input delay yourself. I doubt there's anyone who's looked really closely at these yet.

Yeah the real thing is if it doesn't do pixel rounding and also doesn't introduce input delay.

But this is fine as long as you get a good TV. Worse case I guess, we can buy low latency oled monitors one day for cheap. I wouldn't mind putting down $100 bucks for one in the future.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Ha my "spare" CRT poo poo the bed recently, so now I am down to just my main one I use for retro gaming. I don't know what the hell I am going to do when it dies. Realistically probably grab another smaller CRT, or bite the bullet and mod my NES.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

TeaJay posted:

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that my PVM will hold up. Maybe I should try to find a spare CRT? Gave my last one away to a friend after getting the current monitor. All this upscaler - be it Framemeister or the OSSC - talk seems just needlessly expensive and complicated compared to just hooking my stuff up to a good CRT/PVM.

find a nice consumer trinitron wega with component inputs from craigslist or a thrift store, not as good as a PVM but still way better than scaling on a LCD imo. use one of these guys to convert your RGB, there are cheaper models that cost like $50 but they are trash

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Incidentally, recently bought that specific upscaler encoder to replace the cheapo Chinese $50 one that doesn't even have audio ports, but discovered that, on my Trinitron, it renders everything very, very green.

That said, the seller and I have been in contact over the issue, and I'm just biding my time until I can put into effect his suggestion of experimenting with a 75Ω resistor between each of the outputs and ground to see what happens. (Though confessedly, not having done anything circuitry-related since sophomore year of high school, I'm not entirely sure where "ground" is on this circuit - negative pole of the power supply?)

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 20, 2016

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

Incidentally, recently bought that specific upscaler to replace the cheapo Chinese $50 one that doesn't even have audio ports, but discovered that, on my Trinitron, it renders everything very, very green.

That said, the seller and I have been in contact over the issue, and I'm just biding my time until I can put into effect his suggestion of experimenting with a 75Ω resistor between each of the outputs and ground to see what happens. (Though confessedly, not having done anything circuitry-related since sophomore year of high school, I'm not entirely sure where "ground" is on this circuit - negative pole of the power supply?)

first off if you're talking about the thing I posted, it's not an upscaler but an endcoder. I haven't actually used that one but I recommended it after hearing reports that it was a good replacement for the CSY-2100/Ambery SDV-4 class of devices which I don't think are being made anymore (that's what I use and it's been perfect, after returning two of the lovely $50 ones). people also highly recommend this device if that ebay one doesn't work out for you

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

d0s posted:

first off if you're talking about the thing I posted, it's not an upscaler but an endcoder.
:doh: Not sure how that slipped in - especially since it's a 480i CRT TV I was using it on, no upscaling to speak of.

skeeballcore
Mar 17, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Who likes nightmarishly bad games? I mean the kind of games that make you hate life? Then boy do I have a game for you. Have you heard of Virtuoso?

And to think, this is one of the games that made me want a 3DO

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down

It's possible that I've spent too much money on GameBoy poo poo in the last month. Not pictured: a GB Player. This thread has cursed me. :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I have a GB player, but I need to do the SD card mod to my Gamecube to get the proper software running (GBA/GBI-LL, I think? From a 90 minute gameboy history video I watched), because apparently the stock software (that I paid a fortune for) is poo poo? Whatever. It's awesome anyway.

:siren:My Fiancee:siren: was 100% convinced that the GBA (standard) she had as a kid had backlighting. I explained up and down that no, only the SP had it, but she was convinced. Considering that she lived in the literal backwoods of Idaho from ages 6-18, I was doubtful. But she really wanted a GBA last year for Christmas.

A quicker option, rather than arguing, was just ebaying her a GBA that had the AGS-101 mod done on it :v:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I have a GB player, but I need to do the SD card mod to my Gamecube to get the proper software running (GBA/GBI-LL, I think? From a 90 minute gameboy history video I watched), because apparently the stock software (that I paid a fortune for) is poo poo? Whatever. It's awesome anyway.

:siren:My Fiancee:siren: was 100% convinced that the GBA (standard) she had as a kid had backlighting. I explained up and down that no, only the SP had it, but she was convinced. Considering that she lived in the literal backwoods of Idaho from ages 6-18, I was doubtful. But she really wanted a GBA last year for Christmas.

A quicker option, rather than arguing, was just ebaying her a GBA that had the AGS-101 mod done on it :v:

Yeah, original GBA did not have backlighting though not too long after release, the advent of Afterburner kits appeared which added a front light to the screen. That was the de facto way to light mod GBA's back then until GBA SP screen harvesting was a thing.

And yes, AGS-101 modding is good if you have a busted one or are able to get a screen (alibaba apparently has some).

Edit: Clear buttons courtesy of Kitsch-Bent.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 20, 2016

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hell yeah I got some Gameboy games today

Proud to join this club.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yeah, I did an afterburner kit back in the day. No joke, my first soldering project. My [step]-dad (a board-level electrician, who got his degree in circuit design, currently works doing elevator and fire panel electrician work) was more than happy to help me do the kit :kimchi:. He had tried a model plane beforehand, but this is what really kicked our relationship off.

She was just absolutely convinced she had one. I wanted to remind her that AGS-101 cable converters weren't even a thing back then, but really she just wanted to play GBA. This year's christmas was going to be a flash cart, but real life expenses came in the way.

As an aside, I really want to get a "Return to Dinosaur Land" cart. Just got the SNES set back up in preparation for Star Fox 2.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Yeah, after buying the player and disc, though not at an unreasonable amount, i paid RRP for it, I watched the same video and so I also plan to get one of those SD adapters, which they are somehow still selling on the codejunkies website. Just have to get the gamecube out of the attic when I get home for christmas.

Question though: I have the gamestop branded Wii/PS2/Xbox component cable, will that work at all with the Gamecube? I heard the official cables have a DAC in them that converts the signal, so I'm guessing I'l just have to go get a scart lead for it welp

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

fruitpunch posted:

Question though: I have the gamestop branded Wii/PS2/Xbox component cable, will that work at all with the Gamecube? I heard the official cables have a DAC in them that converts the signal, so I'm guessing I'l just have to go get a scart lead for it welp

It won't work since the Gamecube uses a cable with the special chip in it, as you've noted. Also, if you're in a PAL region and have a PAL-format Gamecube, I don't think those do component video output in any form anyway, so RGB over SCART would be your only real high-end video output option to begin with.

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

Kthulhu5000 posted:

It won't work since the Gamecube uses a cable with the special chip in it, as you've noted. Also, if you're in a PAL region and have a PAL-format Gamecube, I don't think those do component video output in any form anyway, so RGB over SCART would be your only real high-end video output option to begin with.

RGB over SCART it is then. Next question: should i get the CSYNC or normal SCART cables from retrogamingcables? what's the difference?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

That cable wouldn't fit the GC anyway. The Wii uses a different AV cable than the SNES/N64/GC.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
RE: The recent GBA chat:
Has anyone ordered one of these BTO GBAs?

It looks like a pretty convenient way to get a back lit AGB-001 without doing the modding yourself.

I'm wondering if the screens used here are newly made or if they are salvaged AGS-101 screens.
Not necessarily against the idea of a new screen but the 101 screens were awesome and I wouldn't want a step down.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Random Stranger posted:

I genuinely like the G&W Gallery packages in terms of giving you a nice stack of light games that can be fun for a ten or fifteen minute burst. And G&WG4 has twenty games in it so there's a lot available. The problem is that getting 1000 points in a G&W title takes forever since you're typically earning a point about every five to ten seconds and you have to earn that kind of score in multiple titles to unlock things.

So if I want to play G&W Zelda (which is what I've been trying to unlock) I need 160 stars. You get one star per 200 points. So doing it perfectly requires 32000 points to be earned and that's around twenty-five to thirty hours of playing. And that's to do it perfectly and with games that are intended to be played in short bursts..

I think this is actually a worse unlock system than the Capcom Classic Collection slot machine...

You can scum 20 stars by having two GBAs and a link cable and solo playing the 2 player modes for Boxing and Donkey Kong 3.

But yeah, it takes quite a while to get Zelda the normal way, especially once you've plowed through the games you actually really like and have to dig into the ones that are... fine, I guess.

I did it, though, and it was worth it. Mario's Bomb's Away, Climber, and Bombsweeper are all pretty great, too, and a refreshing change from the common G&W formula of "catch these things!"

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Anyone here got a gscartsw?

I do and it's like the best thing. Before this I just had a SCART->BNC fanout cable with a sync stripper built in, but a lot of systems wouldn't work, I think from a lack of power on a certain pin to power the sync stripper.

The auto switching works well and lets me leave a few systems out at a time without swapping around the single SCART plug.

Usually my living room table isn't even big enough to fill all eight ports:

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a 25 inch PVM? I'm so jelly right now. Do you have to open it up to adjust the picture settings?

d0s posted:

find a nice consumer trinitron wega with component inputs from craigslist or a thrift store, not as good as a PVM but still way better than scaling on a LCD imo. use one of these guys to convert your RGB, there are cheaper models that cost like $50 but they are trash

This is euroland though. I don't really have the room for a big CRT TV in addition of my PVM and my regular Samsung HDTV anyway.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 20, 2016

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

TeaJay posted:

Is that a 25 inch PVM? I'm so jelly right now. Do you have to open it up to adjust the picture settings?

29". Lucky craigslist score back in 2013 :)

It has like four pages of on-screen menus so I've never had to open it

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Only Shallow posted:

I do and it's like the best thing. Before this I just had a SCART->BNC fanout cable with a sync stripper built in, but a lot of systems wouldn't work, I think from a lack of power on a certain pin to power the sync stripper.

The auto switching works well and lets me leave a few systems out at a time without swapping around the single SCART plug.

Usually my living room table isn't even big enough to fill all eight ports:

Looks like you need to buy another one and daisy chain them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At parents' house, have located N64 and confirmed working order. Surprised analog sticks held up through than ideal storage. Trying to talk myself out of an Everdrive because I'd only have it sitting around as a novelty, but slowly failing.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Only Shallow posted:

29". Lucky craigslist score back in 2013 :)

It has like four pages of on-screen menus so I've never had to open it

Well now even more so. Can't even imagine how much that thing must weigh.

A 25 (or even 29) PVM in working order is kinda like my holy grail, the pinnacle of my hardware collecting. Here in Finland even regular ones are on short supply and I fully realize I was lucky to get a good deal on my current one (20M4E) which was maintained over the years. But one can always dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

My Lovely Horse posted:

At parents' house, have located N64 and confirmed working order. Surprised analog sticks held up through than ideal storage. Trying to talk myself out of an Everdrive because I'd only have it sitting around as a novelty, but slowly failing.

You can't say this and not tell us what games it has with it. It's a requirement, dammit! :colbert:.

• Locked thread